• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Hockey Thread

Johnny_C13

Smash Cadet
Hello hockey fans across the land; from the United States to Newfoundland (and across the pond!). Talks about everything NHL, CHL, AHL, ECHL, KHL, Elitserien, whatever!

Since the 2010-11 season is over, that thread should probably be locked, but that doesn't mean we can't talk about hockey! The 2011 draft and the award show just ended this week, and we're already looking forward in a week for July 1st - free agency (a National holiday here in Canada :p).

And before long, the NHL season will start again... hell, it might be the only sport that starts in NA this fall if things stay the same with the NFL & NBA.

Johnny_C13

Smash Cadet
Concerning the draft, I'm somewhat surprised that Grimaldi didn't get picked yet. I fully realize that he's 5''6', but the kid plays like a hobbit on fire! Great 2nd round pick to whoever wakes up and nabs his rights.

Also, I'm so disappointed the Leafs let Zack Phillips slip with their 25th pick. Minnesota got themselves a potential late 1st round gem.

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
I don't know squat when it comes to college hockey or even the NHL Draft really. It is a sport I should follow more in that regard.

That would be interesting if the NHL was the only sport this fall/winter. It would suck though because I want there to be football and basketball, but it is a wierd thing that could potentially happen.

I'm glad Winnipeg decided to stick with the name Jets. My cousins lied to me and said they were going to be called the Eskimos. Glad they were wrong.

Orboknown

Smash Hero
well football is back on now.But im always looking forward to hockey.Devils fan,the martin brodeur legacy,etc.Any early predictions people?

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
I hope Teemu Selanne recovers from his knee surgery and will sign a 1 year contract with Anaheim. At age 40 last year he had 80 points.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I hope my Sharks stop sucking in the Conference Finals and some of them grows some balls like Joe Thornton did (while very injured and gimped). They need to start making goals on all those shots, and show some strength on defense, and there was some weird Patrick Marleau thing going on. (whenever he was on a scoring/shooting frenzy, nobody else scored and they lost in the playoffs)

Lol at me being the only person to post here not on the East Coast or from Canada... >.>

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
I'm just stoked to have the Jets back at all. I was too young to care about sports back when they existed, and even if I wasn't, their demise was inevitable. Diggin' the logo, too.

This works out well for me, because I don't really have a hockey team anymore. Used to be a huge Devils fan, but the Devils as I knew them were basically killed by the lockout. Team was never the same. As such I felt kinda lost as far as hockey goes, but now I've got a team to root for again.

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
I'm glad the Jets are back as well. I didn't really follow the NHL all that much when Winnipeg had a team. It's awsome that a city that has passionate/ die hard fans have a hockey team. It is a bummer for Thrasher fans lost their team though, but if their fanbase was weak and attendance was horrible it's understandable why they lost their team.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yeah no one in Atlanta really cared from what I can tell.

I hope the Coyotes can stay in Phoenix.

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
Yes! Teemu Selanne is coming back for another season with the Ducks. Anaheim should have a good 2011-2012 season.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Yeah Atlanta has now lost 2 hockey teams (the Hurricanes was the other). Hopefully the Coyotes don't lose their team (the lockout really hurt their fan base), and they get some new owners who realize that a sports team business isn't about profits and losses here and now, but making and hyping "the brand" and "the team."

Not that Canada wouldn't need more hockey teams... >.>

Also, the Canucks goalie is now through 1 of his 12 years of his contract. Seriously, I thought a 7 year contract was long. 12 years? That's insane!!!

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
Ugh the Jets really **** the bed. 3-0, looking at another blowout. Then FOUR unanswered goals in like a period and a half, are you kidding me!?

Top Bottom