• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Hero From Another World! - Lester Knight Chaykin for Ultimate

Good Guy Giygas

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-6635-8915-7294
The genius physicist enters the world of Smash! | "Lester Knight Chaykin" from Another World.

Overview

Released in 1991, Another World (also known as Out of This World in North America and Outer World in Japan) is a cinematic, action-adventure platformer game designed by Éric Chahi and published by Delphine Software. It debuted on the Amiga and Atari ST, but it was later ported to SNES, Genesis, and Apple IIGS in 1992. The game received critical acclaim and was a commercial success in the 90s, selling over a million copies. The game was praised for its visually-stunning graphics, dynamic sound/music, and atmosphere. Its innovative use of cutscenes and other cinematic effects were way ahead of its time and later became the inspiration for other games like Metal Gear Solid, Silent Hill, Ico, and more. It is now regarded as a revolutionary cult classic.

The game has also been re-released with special 15th and 20th Anniversary editions. The 20th anniversary edition gave players the option to switch between the original and HD graphics, new difficulty modes, and remastered sound. This version made its way to the Nintendo Wii U and 3DS in 2014, as well as the Xbox One, PlayStation 3, 4, and Vita. A new port of the game was recently released on the Switch on July 9, 2018.

Who Is Lester?
Lester Knight Chaykin is the main protagonist of the game, a genius physicist attempting to recreate what occurred when the universe first began. He's conducting a particle acceleration experiment in his lab when lighting strikes his lab, transporting him to an alien world. Lost in this unknown new environment, Lester must avoid the dangerous indigenous creatures out to get him. He is later captured by a group of large, humanoid aliens. With the help of a fellow prisoner of the same alien species, he must make his way through the expansive alien city to escape. Dodging dangers left and right, he must do everything he can to survive and hopefully find a way back home.

How Would He Play?
I picture Lester being a more defensive character in Smash. After all, he's just a scientist trying to get home and doesn't have experience in up-close, hand-to-hand combat. Also, being from a platformer, he would excel at jumping and running. However, he isn't completely incapable of fighting. Lester's main weapon in the game is a laser pistol. In-game, it can be used to fire standard projectiles, charged to fire bigger blasts of energy, and even discharge protective force field barriers to defend against enemy attacks. I imagine him also utilizing his alien companion (Often referred to as "Buddy") in his special moves, possibly functioning similarly to Zelda's Phantoms. Buddy could be summoned to attack opponents or defend Lester. The game also features many environment puzzles that I feel like could be creatively incorporated into his moveset.

(Full moveset coming soon)

What Chance Does He Have?
I'll admit it, his chances aren't great. Being a third party/indie(?) character doesn't help his chances, and neither does his game's relative obscurity/cult status. However, he still has relevancy due to his game being ported to current gen consoles several times, with Nintendo platforms being among these. He was also featured as a guest character in a mobile game called Combo Crew, which shows that his creator is willing to let him appear in other titles. Also being from a critically-acclaimed game that influenced many other popular franchises may give him an edge, but I doubt he's on many people's radars, Sakurai included.

Other Media:

Switch Trailer

Lester in Combo Crew:

Signature Icons and Whatnot:

(More coming soon)

Supporter List:
Good Guy Giygas Good Guy Giygas
S SEGAGameBoy

This is the first support thread I've made, so thanks for reading! :)

Last edited:

SEGAGameBoy

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, I never played it. But, when I get the Switch next month, I'm definitely getting it!

Good Guy Giygas

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-6635-8915-7294
Honestly, I never played it. But, when I get the Switch next month, I'm definitely getting it!
Nice! I first played it when it was released on Wii U and thought it was a super cool game. It can be pretty challenging at times, but it really is an impressive game considering the time it came out. I just wish more people knew about it.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I played this in high school on an SNES emulator. I saw "Out Of This World" on a list of Best SNES Games and grabbed it and from the moment I booted it up I was entranced. This game is a work of art and to be frank should be required playing for anyone who wants to look at videogames in any meaningful manner.

I don't think this will ever happen but I love that this thread exists. Another World is just wonderful. Great stuff.

SEGAGameBoy

Smash Journeyman
Nice! I first played it when it was released on Wii U and thought it was a super cool game. It can be pretty challenging at times, but it really is an impressive game considering the time it came out. I just wish more people knew about it.
So is it available for Switch digitally or physically?

Good Guy Giygas

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-6635-8915-7294
So is it available for Switch digitally or physically?
I'm pretty sure it's only available digitally on Switch, but I actually don't have a Switch yet either so I could be wrong. Here's its listing on the Switch website: Another World. It'd be cool if it had a physical release too though.

I played this in high school on an SNES emulator. I saw "Out Of This World" on a list of Best SNES Games and grabbed it and from the moment I booted it up I was entranced. This game is a work of art and to be frank should be required playing for anyone who wants to look at videogames in any meaningful manner.

I don't think this will ever happen but I love that this thread exists. Another World is just wonderful. Great stuff.
I don't think it'll ever happen either haha, but part of my intention in creating this thread was to hopefully get a few more people interested in this game at the very least.

I think I found out about Another World from watching the YouTube channel "Game Grumps." They were doing a let's play of it, but I once I saw footage of it, I decided I wanted to play it and experience it myself. And man am I glad I did. It's incredible what Éric Chahi was able to accomplish with this game, and it really is like you said, a work of art. In my opinion, the fact that this game went on to inspire countless other game developers is truly a testament to its importance in the gaming world.

Last edited:
Top Bottom