• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town, Shantae for SSB4 (WayForward wants her in Smash)

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
image.jpg

One of life's greatest mysteries is wondering how Wayforward managed to make a crab incredibly adorable.

I'll take 20 plushies please

Last edited:

Midnight Twinkle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MidnightTwinkle
3DS FC
1461-6246-6413
nOPE IT'S REAL
Looked up the official website and it looks really nice! I love me some kart racing! Watched a video and it looks super smooth... like a revamped Mario Kart: Super Circuit!

....now if they just can add Shantae as a playable character.... on the plus side, there's Lea from CrossCode! I love CrossCode, can't wait for the whole game to be finished!

Last edited:

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Looked up the official website and it looks really nice! I love me some kart racing! Watched a video and it looks super smooth... like a revamped Mario Kart: Super Circuit!

....now if they just can add Shantae as a playable character.... on the plus side, there's Lea from CrossCode! I love CrossCode, can't wait for the whole game to be finished!
Juan from Guacamelee, and... Tim Burr from Fist of Awesome?

okay

Shovel Knight almost made it into the game.

Last edited:

DiagonalSpy07

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3754-7248-5911
Okay, I did not expect this. If Shantae gets in this one, then it's a day one buy for me. I loved playing Mario Kart Super Circuit (til my neighbor stole it) so it'd be sweet to play it in some form again.

If Shantae had a track from her franchise, where do you think it will take place? My guess is racing around Scuttle Town whole dodging cannon fire from Risky's ship.

Last edited:

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
I was down with FP stuff in Super Indie Karts until it was CAROL who was confirmed and not Lilac. Sure, it makes sense that she drives the bike. But that doesn't mean they couldn't have added Lilac instead. Or both, for that matter. Especially if they are adding two Runbow characters.

...dodging cannon fire from Ricky's ship.
TheRickyWill TheRickyWill When were you in Shantae and when did you get a ship bro? Better be careful on the sea, or else Risky will plunder yo booty.

:4roy:

Last edited:

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
I actually sent Wayforward a question relating to why we haven't seen Shantae or Patrica in any indie crossovers.

A question that, surprisingly, nobody's probably straight-up asked them.

I'm still waiting for a response.

Last edited:

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
I would expect that to be the reason, honestly. No one has bothered to ask them about crossing over. Which is pretty surprising, considering how open they seem to collaborate.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
I would expect that to be the reason, honestly. No one has bothered to ask them about crossing over. Which is pretty surprising, considering how open they seem to collaborate.
Only one game dev asked, Donn Manalili, for Shantae to have a cameo in his game "You Are not the Hero", and she didn't make it.

Shantae probably wouldn't fit in a RPG, anyway, and the cameo doesn't appear to have Shantae playable, seeming like a shameless way to attract players overall. Other characters, such as the Drifter (Hyper Light Drifter) was also intended to be used as a cross promotion, but that was turned down too.
image.jpg

(And yes, before you ask, this was made in RPGMaker.)

Last edited:

DiagonalSpy07

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3754-7248-5911
Only one game dev asked, Donn Manalili, for Shantae to have a cameo in his game "You Are not the Hero", and she didn't make it.

Shantae probably wouldn't fit in a RPG, anyway, and the cameo doesn't appear to have Shantae playable, seeming like a shameless way to attract players overall. Other characters, such as the Drifter (Hyper Light Drifter) was also intended to be used as a cross promotion, but that was turned down too.View attachment 77622

(And yes, before you ask, this was made in RPGMaker.)
Not gonna lie, I really like that character art of Shantae. Seems like a very fitting image for her in a fantasy RPG setting

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
A simple cameo in an RPG maker looking game wouldn't really appeal me anyways.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
A simple cameo in an RPG maker looking game wouldn't really appeal me anyways.
Exactly.

Here's a tip for Indie Devs who want to do crossover stuff:
-Show that your game has to potential to be successful or is sucessful
-Give their character a significant or playable role rather than just a pointless cameo.
-Show the IP's original owner your game to make them legitimately interested, instead of wasting their time with a proof of concept.

I'm sure there's a finance and copyright-based hurdle to jump over somewhere, so the work they do promoting you and giving you rights to their IP has to come back to them in some way.

Especially in Wayforward's case, where they don't have a lot of money to toss around.

Last edited:

Wiimas123

Smash Apprentice
How high of a possibility do you guys think that Shantae will be in Smash. (no bias.)

Nintendo is going to have a female in the DLC pack. So i'm comparing her chances to the 2 other most likely females. Inkling and Daisy. I think that all have an amazing chance. But if I had to choose... I think that the most disappointing one, Inkling will be in. Splatoon is really big and I feel like Nintendo is really trying to make it an All-Star title like Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, etc. I think this because of all the merch, Amiibo, and a lot of other things. The other two are tied for my most wanted DLC but I just can't picture Shantae or Daisy in. Also, there are a lot of Mario character so that also contributes to it. But overall this is the possibility rates imo. They're all pretty close. S:33 I:35 D:32 Unfortunately.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
I honestly don't have a clue on how possible Shantae is.

Sure, she did extremely well in polls regardless of being an indie character but it all depends on the big wigs at Nintendo and ballot results.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
I've honestly stopped caring. If Shantae gets in, good. If she doesn't, at least I know she accomplished something during the time the ballot was open.

Also...
image.jpg

They have noticed

now the hype can begin

let us get Shantae x Freedom Planet fanstuffs filling up feeds

Here's this snippet of a crowd drawing that I scrapped to start with
image.jpg

Last edited:

Damenshi

Smash Apprentice
I stand at a point where I've pretty much stopped caring as well.
As of now, I more or less assume we'll be seeing inclusions among the likes of K. Rool, Inklings, and/or Wolf, so...

Either way, it's not really a big deal to me anymore.
Disappointing, perhaps, but I'm not going to go on a rage or anything either.

Besides, Shantae's popularity and recognition grew pretty significantly as a result of the ballot alone, and I'd say that counts for something noteworthy. Heck, that was even kind of the point of this ongoing endeavor in the first place. (At least, I believe so.)
To be completely honest: I would very much enjoy her inclusion, but if she doesn't land a spot, at least the effort wasn't for nothing. (-^-^-)

Last edited:

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253
To be honest, I'm at the point where I wouldn't mind her not getting in, but if there was any indie character not named Bit Trip or Quote/Curly that got in over Shantae then my bones would probably be rattled.
My jimmies would be rustled.
Etc.

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
Honestly, I still believe that, with as much attention as she's received, we're going to get some Shantae related DLC, whether it be a character or a Mii costume. While the former would be preferable, I personally would rather have something than nothing and would be content with a Mii costume.

BlitzUnleashed

Smash Apprentice
Can someone send me a link to Intergrows interview page with Wayforward about Shantae? Something tells me I'm gonna be needing that for future references.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Every time there's a "leak" or claim that Shovel Knight is apparently being teased or "confirmed" for Smash, I get one step closer to actually wanting to pirate Shovel Knight.

Last edited:

Thigolf

Smash Cadet
Every time there's a "leak" or claim that Shovel Knight is apparently being teased or "confirmed" for Smash, I get one step closer to actually wanting to pirate Shovel Knight.
I really don't know what that would achieve other than cheating a hard working developer out of their money :/

Last edited:

RosaPeach

Smash Journeyman
I think Shantae is way better than Shovel Knight.

Look back how Wayforward been pushing her in Smash.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
I like both, but...

C'mon.

Amiibo =/= Smash Confirmation isn't how this works.

Where's my gold, silver, and 8-bit Mario?

Inklings?

Toad?

Chibi-Robo?

My metric ton of Animal Crossing characters?

Last edited:

Children0fTheStars

Smash Apprentice
I like both, but...

C'mon.

Amiibo =/= Smash Confirmation isn't how this works.

Where's my gold, silver, and 8-bit Mario?

Inklings?

Toad?

Chibi-Robo?

My metric ton of Animal Crossing characters?
Inb4 Sega announces Sonic Generations 2, with a Wii U port and a Classic Sonic Amiibo to go along with it, resulting in everyone assuming Classic Sonic is confirmed for Smash.

... Well, you know. If Sega's actually doing anything meaningful right now.

Last edited:

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Inb4 Sega announces Sonic Generations 2, with a Wii U port and a Classic Sonic Amiibo to go along with it, resulting in everyone assuming Classic Sonic is confirmed for Smash.

... Well, you know. If Sega's actually doing anything meaningful right now.
They are...

They just only give said meaningful things to Japan.

All we get is more fast

Last edited:
Top Bottom