• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town, Shantae for SSB4 (WayForward wants her in Smash)

Solo Bolo

Smash Rookie
^ Of course she'd be good at hula too.

Really hope if she gets in, it'll be like Wario with the classic and pirate attires available.

Mikegamer0608

Smash Lord
NNID
Mikegamer0608
I want to bump this list of new supporters for @ 8-peacock-8 8-peacock-8 to see. Please update when you can.

Mighty Minotaur
Felix_the_Slayer
LittleToys
Creativion
Fralex
Kevandre
Pyrofishy
DaemonDD
MachRider94
Solo Bolo
DarkAura64
Jasae Bushae
NateCurtis(NJC)
GoldLiger
Black-magic13
ThePsychoWolf
Midnight Twinkle
conTAgi0n

gb7zone7

Smash Apprentice
NNID
gb7zone7
Here's a still image of the concept art from Jesus Lopez's desk.

Black-magic13

Smash Apprentice
I just got like 3 more votes lol. Anyway I emailed WayForward about her in ssb4 and their response was a little disappointing :-(.

Aaron (WayForward)

Jul 20, 01:21

Hello,

Thanks for the support! I think it would be great to see Shantae (or any of our characters) in a Super Smash Bros game. Sadly, it's not up to us. Nintendo seems to be very particular about who they include in the Smash Bros. series (especially from small 3rd party western developers like us), so I think it's one of those "don't call us, we'll call you" sort of situations. I can't really say if the odds are good. In all honesty it's probably a long shot. But hey, you never know, maybe if enough WayForward fans let Nintendo know they're interested, they might consider it. Personally, I think Shantae would fit right in. ;)

Thanks again,

Its a bit discouraging isn't it.

D

Deleted member

I just got like 3 more votes lol. Anyway I emailed WayForward about her in ssb4 and their response was a little disappointing :-(.

Aaron (WayForward)

Hello,

Thanks for the support! I think it would be great to see Shantae (or any of our characters) in a Super Smash Bros game. Sadly, it's not up to us. Nintendo seems to be very particular about who they include in the Smash Bros. series (especially from small 3rd party western developers like us), so I think it's one of those "don't call us, we'll call you" sort of situations. I can't really say if the odds are good. In all honesty it's probably a long shot. But hey, you never know, maybe if enough WayForward fans let Nintendo know they're interested, they might consider it. Personally, I think Shantae would fit right in. ;)

Thanks again,

Honestly, it's really the only sort of response we can expect, even if she's already in the majority of the vote at this moment (which she definitely isn't, but you know..).

It's kind of the same thing as when people were calling Nintendo about Ridley. Nobody got a sufficient answer until the game was released.

I say don't worry too much about it and just keep on voting. All we can do past that is to spread the word and await the ballot's end.

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
@ B Black-magic13 as @DaemonDD said, even if she was in development or not, it's business regulation to not disclose any private information without the whereabouts of Nintendo's approval and knowledge, otherwise they could get into legal problems. The best thing is to wait until the final moments of the ballot results, as there's no other way for anyone else to know, unless leaks, which I despise and hope the surprise will remain hidden as long as it possibly can.

Last edited:

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Shantae topics are happening a lot on the Gamefaqs Smash board lately. This is a good sign lol.

BlitzUnleashed

Smash Apprentice

Aaron (WayForward)

Hello,

Thanks again,

Can't say I'm surprised at all. Getting a character in Smash isn't simple. Companies have been doing this whole "Don't call us, we'll call you" thing for years. Aaron understands this, which is nice. Not to mention he's VERY patient about it. Sure he made some risky plays (no pun attended) with the "See you in Smash" tweet and whispering "#Shantae4Smash" in people's ear, but he is careful about what he's doing. So I wouldn't worry about it :)

Mikegamer0608

Smash Lord
NNID
Mikegamer0608
Shantae topics are happening a lot on the Gamefaqs Smash board lately. This is a good sign lol.
But are they good topics, because there are some people on that site who just don't like Shantae at all and will come up with stupid reasons on why she shouldn't be in smash and they can be sometimes ignorant.

Last edited:

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
But are they good topics, because there are some people on that site who just don't like Shantae at all and will come up with stupid reasons on why she shouldn't be in smash and they can be sometimes ignorant.
Even that kind of publicity is still publicity... though that is a boon mainly to Matt Bozon.

BlitzUnleashed

Smash Apprentice
That's true. But what they don't realize is that the only requirements for a character to be in Smash are the following:

1) They must be originated from a video game (That would be Shantae)

2) They had to appear at least on one Ninendo platform (Shantae appeared on a Nintendo platform. THREE GAMES IN A ROW! Fourth on Half-Genie Hero)

There are no rules saying "there can only be Nintendo characters included" or "no third-party characters allowed". Then again, even if they knew, they would still come up with dumb reasons for a character to not be included into Smash. I'm guessing this is because they never knew who she was and what she can do. Which kind of makes sense since her first game was a late release. But still, haters gonna hate.

Last edited:

conTAgi0n

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1668 7817 3192
That's true. But what they don't realize is that the only requirements for a character to be in Smash are the following:

1) They must be originated from a video game (That would be Shantae)

2) They had to appear at least on one Ninendo platform (Shantae appeared on a Nintendo platform. THREE GAMES IN A ROW! Fourth on Half-Genie Hero)

There are no rules saying "there can only be Nintendo characters included" or "no third-party characters allowed". Then again, even if they knew, they would still come up with dumb reasons for a character to not be included into Smash. I'm guessing this is because they never knew who she was and what she can do. Which kind of makes sense since her first game was a late release. But still, haters gonna hate.
To be fair, those are just the qualifications to enter the race, not to have a reasonable chance of inclusion. Bidoof meets those requirements too, but of course he has no chance of ever being a playable character in smash. He's just a joke suggestion even though he meets the requirements.

What we have to do is make the case that Shantae is not just a valid pick, but also deserves a spot and has a real chance at getting one. The main two arguments people raise against her are that she is too obscure, and that she is third party and indie. So really our main task is to have snappy rebuttals to those two objections, and to expose more people to the awesomeness of Shantae.

Her obscurity is exaggerated of course. Lots of people hadn't heard of her before the ballot, but lots of people had. Her games have always been some of the top sellers on the eshop, and her kickstarter was wildly successful. The fact that she did decently in online polls for the smash ballot from the very beginning shows she was not some unknown prior to that. And it's a moot point anyway because her recognition has exploded. Whether people are for her or against her, she is one of the most talked about ballot contenders out there right now, and she has also risen to top 5-10 most wanted characters on most online polls. Especially compared to her rivals in the ballot, it's not accurate at all to say she is still obscure.

As for her third party and indie status, we don't know anything about how Nintendo takes this into account, except that so far only third party gaming icons have made it, and that Nintendo explicitly stated that the ballot is open to ANY videogame characters, not just first party. It is very possible that close enough ties to Nintendo are enough to override third party status. It is also very possible that whatever restrictions they have against third party characters are loosened for DLC. And it is also very possible that indie is actually a plus and not a negative, because Nintendo has been working to push indie games on their systems. To say that no more third party characters except super icons have a shot requires making big assumptions about Nintendo's decision-making process that simply cannot be supported with the information available to us.

I could say more, but I don't want to bore anyone lol. The point is that all the arguments are in our favor, so being more persuasive and more polite than our opponents shouldn't be too hard.

NNID
biscut0426
3DS FC
5129-3694-1023
Honestly, it's really the only sort of response we can expect, even if she's already in the majority of the vote at this moment (which she definitely isn't, but you know..).

It's kind of the same thing as when people were calling Nintendo about Ridley. Nobody got a sufficient answer until the game was released.

I say don't worry too much about it and just keep on voting. All we can do past that is to spread the word and await the ballot's end.
Case in point:

Mental Surge

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GisR FTG
3DS FC
4098-5877-7114
I would love for Shantae to be in Smash, and she would be absolutely perfect. It's interesting how much her art style, moveset, etc. would fit in with the current roster. Not to mention it would undoubtedly do well in promoting all the Shantae games available on the 3ds as well as the new one coming out. Truthfully, if there is ANY third party character that should be in Smash, it's Shantae.

Last edited:

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
I would love for Shantae to be in Smash. She would be absolutely perfect. It's interesting how much her art style, moveset, etc. would fit in with the current roster. Not to mention it would undoubtedly do well in promoting all the Shantae games available on the 3ds. Not to mention promote the new one coming out. If there is ANY third party character that should be in Smash, it's Shantae.
Welcome to the thread, and welcome to Smashboards. :)

Last edited:

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
Well guys, my Shantae related project shall truly begin tomorrow. I do hope that you'll all love it. :)

Last edited:

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
ShanLy.png

Something I thought of randomly while being bored. If you know who Ly is, then you know she's from Rayman 2 if you played it before.

Mental Surge

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GisR FTG
3DS FC
4098-5877-7114
I am curious as to how one can not like Shantae.

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
I am curious as to how one can not like Shantae.
Well, there is a thing called differing tastes, to each their own, if people don't like something, they don't.

But it most cases, especially for Smash Bros, it's not that people "hate" a character, is either they lack the knowledge of them, which ignorance always brings negativity towards something, and to add if unknown character get's a "spot" in the roster that they wanted they favorite character getting taken of that spot, they feel spite from that. But it really just boils down to people not knowing a character fully, or controversy about a character due to differing opinions of a characters role in Smash Bros (Ridley, Krystal, Geno, etc)

Last edited:

Solo Bolo

Smash Rookie
Forgot how I wanted Squirtle, but Shantae is still number one.

Been thinking about if she got in, how would certain moves work.

Take her hair-whipping for example. I'll go with her speed in the original game, and I was thinking if she had that in Smash as a forward tilt, keep its speed but maybe not so much knock-back?

Was also thinking about different items from Pirate's Curse, like Monster Milk. It could be like Deep Breathing to increase damage. And could be the Shampoo to make her Hair Whip faster?

For that to be the case though, she could have maybe down-B to cycle through items, and kinda like Robin tomes, there's different cooldown depending on the item.

Also thought about if she could have multiple jumps in the form of the Cannon, but dat might be a bit too good? :p She either need a meh-level recovery or just be pretty light.

Haven't thought about this as much as Chrom.

SirCamp

Smash Ace
I would love for Shantae to be in Smash, and she would be absolutely perfect. It's interesting how much her art style, moveset, etc. would fit in with the current roster. Not to mention it would undoubtedly do well in promoting all the Shantae games available on the 3ds as well as the new one coming out. Truthfully, if there is ANY third party character that should be in Smash, it's Shantae.
I have to say I feel like Professor Layton is in a pretty similar boat in terms of third party candidates. Technically third party, but with very close ties to Nintendo. Would love to see either, or even both included. =D

taoxadasa

Smash Apprentice
NNID
taoxadasa
3DS FC
2251-5157-5936
I want to bump this list of new supporters for @ 8-peacock-8 8-peacock-8 to see. Please update when you can.

Mighty Minotaur
Felix_the_Slayer
LittleToys
Creativion
Fralex
Kevandre
Pyrofishy
DaemonDD
MachRider94
Solo Bolo
DarkAura64
Jasae Bushae
NateCurtis(NJC)
GoldLiger
Black-magic13
ThePsychoWolf
Midnight Twinkle
conTAgi0n
I'm not on the supporters list either.

Wolley2xjd

Banned via Administration
Am i'm the only person here who hate's the art style of the first 2 shantae games?

Mikegamer0608

Smash Lord
NNID
Mikegamer0608
I'm not on the supporters list either.
Go ahead and add me to the supporters list as well. I've been playing through Pirate's Curse recently, and now realize how much I'd love to see her playable. :grin:
Added
@ 8-peacock-8 8-peacock-8 Whenever you get the chance please update the support list with these new supporters.

Mighty Minotaur
Felix_the_Slayer
LittleToys
Creativion
Fralex
Kevandre
Pyrofishy
DaemonDD
MachRider94
Solo Bolo
DarkAura64
Jasae Bushae
NateCurtis(NJC)
GoldLiger
Black-magic13
ThePsychoWolf
Midnight Twinkle
conTAgi0n
taoxadasa
ScatmansWorld25

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
Am i'm the only person here who hate's the art style of the first 2 shantae games?
I honestly like it just as much as the newer style. I honestly like the first "non eastern" design more because she looked more unique than typical "anime" style. But It's Shantae, that's all the matters to me.

Midnight Twinkle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MidnightTwinkle
3DS FC
1461-6246-6413
Forgot how I wanted Squirtle, but Shantae is still number one.

Been thinking about if she got in, how would certain moves work.

Take her hair-whipping for example. I'll go with her speed in the original game, and I was thinking if she had that in Smash as a forward tilt, keep its speed but maybe not so much knock-back?

Was also thinking about different items from Pirate's Curse, like Monster Milk. It could be like Deep Breathing to increase damage. And could be the Shampoo to make her Hair Whip faster?

For that to be the case though, she could have maybe down-B to cycle through items, and kinda like Robin tomes, there's different cooldown depending on the item.

Also thought about if she could have multiple jumps in the form of the Cannon, but dat might be a bit too good? :p She either need a meh-level recovery or just be pretty light.

Haven't thought about this as much as Chrom.
Interesting idea with the milk. Never thought about it myself. As for pirate equipment... no. I think Shantae should use magic items and her fighter moves from the first game. Transformations could work for specials but it would be weird to me to see her instantly transform. Y'all should check out this link if you're interested in some pretty good ideas for a moveset: https://wayforward.com/wayforums/to...-made-concepts-for-shantae-in-smash-4/page/2/

Wolley2xjd

Banned via Administration
I honestly like it just as much as the newer style. I honestly like the first "non eastern" design more because she looked more unique than typical "anime" style. But It's Shantae, that's all the matters to me.
My problem with it was that Shantae looked so damn skinny and I thought she looks kinda creepy to be honest or at least her face did.

That's kinda the reason why I'm only interested in playing Pirates curse and 1/2 genie hero.

It's really a matter of opinion a taste.

To be fair she does look better in the 2nd game but still girl eat a damn sandwich!

Even with that cute face it looks like I can snap her in half.

Ah that's much better.

SuaveChaser

Smash Journeyman
I just bought pirate's curse today via WiiU Sale(I had it on PC before) This game is fun.

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
My problem with it was that Shantae looked so damn skinny and I thought she looks kinda creepy to be honest or at least her face did.

That's kinda the reason why I'm only interested in playing Pirates curse and 1/2 genie hero.

To be fair she does look better in the 2nd game but still girl eat a damn sandwich!

Ah that's much better.
I know, and I can understand that, I heard of that complaint from others, and I can get what you mean. I think it was just to insinuate the whole "belly dancer" persona, but other than that, I don't mind either one.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336

Ah that's much better.
I can understand were your coming from. I always saw the first two games going for a more "cartoony" design while Pirate's Curse and even Half-Genie Hero to an extent are going for a more "anime-esc" design.

Top Bottom