• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town, Shantae for SSB4 (WayForward wants her in Smash)

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
I don't want to cause a flame war, and I'm not the kind of guy who comes into support threads and craps on the characters, but could someone explain to me why Shantae has the support she has?

I don't really know much about her, but from what I do know, she's a relatively small video game character, with only a few games under her belt,

What exactly merits her getting into Smash?

I thank you kind and respectable gentleman in advance for your replies.

Raheem The Dream

Banned via Warnings
NNID
RaheemTheDream28
3DS FC
5043-2968-5730
I don't want to cause a flame war, and I'm not the kind of guy who comes into support threads and craps on the characters, but could someone explain to me why Shantae has the support she has?

I don't really know much about her, but from what I do know, she's a relatively small video game character, with only a few games under her belt,

Shantae first début on Nintendo's Game Boy Color in 2002, then 8 years later on 2010 her second sequel: Shantae: Risky's Revenge and finally 4 years later on 2014 her third installment: Shantae and the Pirate's Curse for 3DS/Wii U verisons exclusively on Nintendo eShop to download! P.S: #ShantaeForSmash
dkwSg3b Shantae's Card.png

gb7zone7

Smash Apprentice
NNID
gb7zone7
The demo, it's so cute. IT'S SO CUTE. IT'S SO FREAKING CUTE!!! OH MY GOSH IT'S SO FREAKING CU--
I can't wait for the whole thing, I need to keep playing this demo over and over again.
The animations are so smooth and the backgrounds are really beautiful, I CAN'T GET THE SONGS OUT OF MY HEAD AND I ONLY PLAYED THE GAME ONCE!!!! YES!!!

Last edited:

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord

Well, think of Earthbound. Ness and Lucas in particular. Well, You know how that game is considered a cult classic? Well, Shantae is a cult classic as well. One that has needless obscurity...

Read the spoilers for a bit of Shantae history.

She is considered often a "small video game character" mostly out of bad timing in my eyes. Her first game, "Shantae" debuted on the Gameboy color in 2002.. unfortunately at the end of the console's life. This resulted in a limited amount of the game being produced, and many gamers ended up missing the title all together. It was a critical hit, however, and many whom had discovered the title consider it a classic.

The Half-genie hero wouldn't get a sequel for eight years.. "Shantae: Risky's Revenge", in 2010. It originally released for DSi Ware, and later recieved ports for iOS and Steam.

Another three years after that, it recieved a third sequel: "Shantae and the Pirate's Curse", released in 2013 for Wii U and 3DS. It would receive a port for Windows a few months later. This is technically the current game in the series.

A fourth is currently in development known as "Shantae: Half-Genie Hero", going to be exclusive to the Wii U.

As you might notice, She is surprisingly primarily loyal to Nintendo, despite being considered an Indie character by today's standards.

Combine this with a ever growing fanbase, a rich moveset pool, desire for localization in Japan from Japanese fans (Sound familar to someone you know?... except vice versa?.. :4lucas:), and being a very likeable character in general, and you have the large campaign you see right here.

Last edited:

SL the Pyro

Smash Apprentice

Think nothing of it @ Mega Bidoof Mega Bidoof , it's good to see someone willing to learn about the character for once instead of saying "she isn't <insert desired character here> so she can @#$% off".

Shantae probably comes off as a bit of an oddball choice as all indie characters do, but frankly I think that "indie has no place in Smash" stigma is a load of crap and I prefer to treat them as third-party characters in regards to the ballot. So, here's the long list of Shantae's merits:
  • She's the original indie heroine, hailing all the way from 2002 in the Game Boy Color era.
  • She's had three games so far, with a fourth in the works slated for release near the end of 2015 (the demo of which everyone in here is currently talking about), and all of them are very well-made, and all started on Nintendo systems to boot (with the exception of the fourth which will start as multiplatform). The original GBC game is not only one of the biggest cartridges ever made filesize-wise, but also one of the most beautiful games you'll see on the handheld.
  • Shantae's character concept is very unique and charming: a belly dancing, teenage half-genie who uses hair-whipping, magic and animal transformations to protect her home from evil. She's also far from a flat character, having plenty of quirks and insecurities; the games in general do a pretty good job of fleshing out their characters.
  • She absolutely oozes with potential for an interesting moveset in Smash. Even the first game has a whole plethora of abilities for Shantae to use consisting of the aforementioned hair-whipping, magic, transformations, items and special techniques. The third game adds an assortment of pirate gear if even more inspirations are needed.
  • Some people argue that Shantae will get the "too sexy for Smash" treatment and that the majority of her fanbase are sweaty perverted nerds, which frankly is really dumb. If you're paying attention to the ratings of both the Shantae games and Smash, you'll notice they're the same E/E10+ rating. Bedlah outfits and belly dancers aren't even that bad and have featured in a number of children's shows (Princess Jasmine from Aladdin, for example), and there are already more provocative things in Smash than a dancer (ZSS' alternate skins, Shulk's beach shorts, Palutena's pole dance taunt, the Barbara assist trophy that actually has an outfit surprisingly similar to Shantae's, etc.).
  • There's been some back and forth (in this very thread even!) about how Shantae's transformations would work in Smash due to technical limitations on the 3DS like the ones that got Samus/ZSS and Zelda/Sheik separated. Opinions vary, but the bottom line is that a moveset true to the character that is built around Shantae's dancing and transformations isn't impossible, whether it be relegating them to her special moves, or using actual in-game transformations a la Giga Bowser, Giga Mac, Mega Lucario (though not necessarily as Final Smashes) and so on. And even if it doesn't pan out, there's still the pirate gear to fall back on.
  • All of the Shantae series games have received high ratings on multiple review sites, with the third game being rated by a handful of them as "best eShop game of the year". It even got physical ad space alongside Nintendo's own IPs! Few indie games are lucky to boast even one of these achievements, let alone both.
  • The defining factor Shantae has against her is her obscurity, but thanks to some clever marketing from the series' developer, her loud Western fanbase and small Eastern fanbase, and localizations being worked on for said Eastern fanbase, this is gradually turning around. The hype train for #ShantaeForSmash has been going strong since the ballot began with the influx of videos, fanart and the hints that Smashified will be doing a render of her in 3D.
I've probably missed a couple of things, but that's the general argument a lot of us are using. I've pitted Shantae's credentials against a bunch of other third-party and indie characters, and not only does she pretty much blow every other indie candidate out of the water, but she handily keeps up with most of the third-parties that aren't named Banjo & Kazooie.

Last edited:

gb7zone7

Smash Apprentice
NNID
gb7zone7
Well, think of Earthbound. Ness and Lucas in particular. Well, You know how that game is considered a cult classic? Well, Shantae is a cult classic as well. One that has needless obscurity...

Read the spoilers for a bit of Shantae history.

She is considered often a "small video game character" mostly out of bad timing in my eyes. Her first game, "Shantae" debuted on the Gameboy color in 2002.. unfortunately at the end of the console's life. This resulted in a limited amount of the game being produced, and many gamers ended up missing the title all together. It was a critical hit, however, and many whom had discovered the title consider it a classic.

The Half-genie hero wouldn't get a sequel for eight years.. "Shantae: Risky's Revenge", in 2010. It originally released for DSi Ware, and later recieved ports for iOS and Steam.

Another three years after that, it recieved a third sequel: "Shantae and the Pirate's Curse", released in 2013 for Wii U and 3DS. It would receive a port for Windows a few months later. This is technically the current game in the series.

A fourth is currently in development known as "Shantae: Half-Genie Hero", going to be exclusive to the Wii U.

As you might notice, She is surprisingly primarily loyal to Nintendo, despite being considered an Indie character by today's standards.

Combine this with a ever growing fanbase, a rich moveset pool, desire for localization in Japan from Japanese fans (Sound familar to someone you know?... except vice versa?.. :4lucas:), and being a very likeable character in general, and you have the large campaign you see right here.
Another thing worth noting is that Shantae's Gameboy Color game took much advantage of the Gameboy Color's hardware, having a large overworld, multiple shifts in color-pallets depending on time of day or what room you are in and very fluid pixel animations.
(gif is slower than in-game)

Also @ SL the Pyro SL the Pyro , all of Shantae's games are E-E10+ and since Smash Wii U and 3DS is E10+, she'll fit right in no problem with the rest of the cast.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero

1) Her games are the pinnacle of the Way Forward kind of amazing detail sprite work, a company (and series) that always put Nintendo first with passion projects and wait over a year of exclusivity before porting to PC (in the case of RR & Pirate's Curse).

2) The nature of the character and world are Nintendo-good and just one that seems so fit for Smash. Like Splatoon and Inklings.

3) Between the offensive hair that people clamor for with Dixie, magical spells that work most akin to items in Zelda, and the animal transformations that mostly functioned as Metroidvania exploration abilities with one major attack, she has a LOT of potential for her moveset.

4) She. and Patty Wagon from WayForward's other major series, are... the Nintendo Indie characters, if that makes sense. Shovel Knight never really was "A nintendo game" it was "That NES-styled game that was on the WiiU for a bit." Shantae, from the GBC, to being one of few games worth buying on DSiware, to 3DS with Pirate's curse and now multi-platform release for Half-Genie Hero, she's far more tied to Nintendo for an indie character, while not having quite the legacy of the big 3rd parties.

5) She's friggin cute.

6) Shanate's GBC game pushed the system to the limit and had secret functions if used on the Gameboy Advance. And... once again, DSiWare, which was such an overal mediocre pile of cheap products, Risky's Revenge is one of few games that really struck out on the market.

7) She's significant as a series. Matt Bozon's sparks-raising tweet from last month was over her being shown on a large display alongside Mario & Link. The display was going over the E-Shop, talking about how it was the way to get Nintendo games, old, new and indie alike. Shantae representing that third range.

Raheem The Dream

Banned via Warnings
NNID
RaheemTheDream28
3DS FC
5043-2968-5730

#ShantaeForSmash
dkwSg3b Shantae's Card.png

D

Deleted member

1) Her games are the pinnacle of the Way Forward kind of amazing detail sprite work, a company (and series) that always put Nintendo first with passion projects and wait over a year of exclusivity before porting to PC (in the case of RR & Pirate's Curse).

2) The nature of the character and world are Nintendo-good and just one that seems so fit for Smash. Like Splatoon and Inklings.

3) Between the offensive hair that people clamor for with Dixie, magical spells that work most akin to items in Zelda, and the animal transformations that mostly functioned as Metroidvania exploration abilities with one major attack, she has a LOT of potential for her moveset.

4) She. and Patty Wagon from WayForward's other major series, are... the Nintendo Indie characters, if that makes sense. Shovel Knight never really was "A nintendo game" it was "That NES-styled game that was on the WiiU for a bit." Shantae, from the GBC, to being one of few games worth buying on DSiware, to 3DS with Pirate's curse and now multi-platform release for Half-Genie Hero, she's far more tied to Nintendo for an indie character, while not having quite the legacy of the big 3rd parties.

5) She's friggin cute.

6) Shanate's GBC game pushed the system to the limit and had secret functions if used on the Gameboy Advance. And... once again, DSiWare, which was such an overal mediocre pile of cheap products, Risky's Revenge is one of few games that really struck out on the market.

7) She's significant as a series. Matt Bozon's sparks-raising tweet from last month was over her being shown on a large display alongside Mario & Link. The display was going over the E-Shop, talking about how it was the way to get Nintendo games, old, new and indie alike. Shantae representing that third range.
8) She is, besides Samus, one of the greatest female video game characters ever created.

And tanned-skin girls are among the bestest.

Also :
OMG Her monkey transformation is so CUTE!!!!:love:

D

Deleted member

Just a note as one of those who played the demo:

I don't think the dancing is finalized yet. Yes, we can transform into two things overall in the demo, but each transformation is only available for a single level, and there is no variation in her dancing animations, which is a really odd thing for a Shantae game.
I mean, even the lamp sucking in Pirate's Curse had animation variation despite only having one function.

Also, a few screens of WIP stuff shows that there are "dance tokens" on the Wii U gamepad which you can use for varied dance moves. It might still be a thing, and the current way it works may well be just for the sake of quick access to the transformations necessary to complete the level.

CFood

Smash Cadet
She's had three games so far, with a fourth in the works slated for release near the end of 2015 (the demo of which everyone in here is currently talking about), and all of them are very well-made, and all on Nintendo systems to boot with the exception of the fourth game. The original GBC game is not only one of the biggest cartridges ever made filesize-wise, but also one of the most beautiful games you'll see on the handheld.
I hope you meant "exception of the fourth game" because it's not out yet, because Half Genie Hero will be coming out on Wii U. In case you actually didn't know that.

Or if you meant because it's not exclusive, then Risky's Revenge and Pirate's Curse I must point out, because RR got ported to iOS, as well as Steam. And PC got ported to Steam as well.

And I think we've all forgotten about Watch Quest! Heroes of Time which features both Shantae and Bolo. Of course I squid because then we'd also include that little Shantae mini game in Wario Ware D.I.Y. if just featuring Shantae is all it took to be a Shantae game. :yeahboi:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

EDIT:

Got a stage idea.

Scuttle Town from Risky's Revenge for the stage, it'd work like that DKCR stage where you blast forward and backward. And we don't even need three layers, because the closest layer is just the front of the town where you'd leave anyways so.

Last edited:

gb7zone7

Smash Apprentice
NNID
gb7zone7
I hope you meant "exception of the fourth game" because it's not out yet, because Half Genie Hero will be coming out on Wii U. In case you actually didn't know that.

Or if you meant because it's not exclusive, then Risky's Revenge and Pirate's Curse I must point out, because RR got ported to iOS, as well as Steam. And PC got ported to Steam as well.

And I think we've all forgotten about Watch Quest! Heroes of Time which features both Shantae and Bolo. Of course I squid because then we'd also include that little Shantae mini game in Wario Ware D.I.Y. if just featuring Shantae is all it took to be a Shantae game. :yeahboi:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

EDIT:

Got a stage idea.

Scuttle Town from Risky's Revenge for the stage, it'd work like that DKCR stage where you blast forward and backward. And we don't even need three layers, because the closest layer is just the front of the town where you'd leave anyways so.
Here's the thing though, while not Nintendo exclusives anymore (except for Shantae GBC) all of the Shantae games as of now started on Nintendo consoles as exclusives and have stayed Nintendo exclusives for a long time, up to years even. There wasn't a point in Shantae's history where the series would start on both Nintendo and PC on the same release date before Half-Genie Hero. Of course they would want to port their games to other platforms, it'll raise awareness to the series and people without Nintendo consoles can enjoy them for once. Besides, Megaman and Pacman aren't excused when it comes to mobile gaming/non-nintendo console exclusives before their entry into Smash Bros., there's a reason why third-parties are called third-parties. Shantae is a special case of having a long history of Nintendo because her games were always made exclusive to Nintendo fans for a long while before thinking about porting it to other consoles.

Last edited:

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253
Is the boss theme in the demo?
Yeah, it is, though it is the same as Pirate's Curse according to the music rip.

(also the guy who ripped some of the sprits posted some new ones, mainly the mermaid variations, so I'll be updating the link again soon)

CFood

Smash Cadet
Here's the thing though, while not Nintendo exclusives anymore (except for Shantae GBC) all of the Shantae games as of now started on Nintendo consoles as exclusives and have stayed Nintendo exclusives for a long time, up to years even. There wasn't a point in Shantae's history where the series would start on both Nintendo and PC on the same release date before Half-Genie Hero. Of course they would want to port their games to other platforms, it'll raise awareness to the series and people without Nintendo consoles can enjoy them for once. Besides, Megaman and Pacman aren't excused when it comes to mobile gaming/non-nintendo console exclusives before their entry into Smash Bros., there's a reason why third-parties are called third-parties. Shantae is a special case of having a long history of Nintendo because her games were always made exclusive to Nintendo fans for a long while before thinking about porting it to other consoles.
I'm not sure why you're wasting energy with me, or what that has to do with what I was talking about.

I know all of this.

I was pointing out that SL the Pyro said "exception of the fourth game" implying that one was not gonna be on Nintendo, when it will be. Unless they meant just because it's not out.

Or if he meant that it's not the only exclusive Shantae title to Nintendo, where I was pointing out again, that was not the case.

It ultimately has nothing to do with Shantae's credibility to get in Smash, just simply correcting any inaccurate information.

Burruni

Smash Hero
TL;DR: Shantae's first 3 games at least started with a sizable window of Nintendo exclusivity (a year+ for RR & PC each iirc) and even then just to PC.

Half Genie Hero is going to be the first to go onto Sony & Microsoft, and will be multiplatform at launch.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Not to mention they are one of the few, if not only companies to not abandon Nintendo because of the Wii U
Or say that a game is going to be exclusive for the WiiU because they stand by the system and then port it a year after.

And then their really inflatedly hyped new IP goes out on 360 & Ps3 and wait over a year to give a WiiU version after all that inflated hype has burst.

Or ignore Nintendo for their other largest IP series with yearly releases.

....Why do people think Rayman has a strong chance, again? :p

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Or say that a game is going to be exclusive for the WiiU because they stand by the system and then port it a year after.

And then their really inflatedly hyped new IP goes out on 360 & Ps3 and wait over a year to give a WiiU version after all that inflated hype has burst.

Or ignore Nintendo for their other largest IP series with yearly releases.

....Why do people think Rayman has a strong chance, again? :p
Oh yeah, ZombiU s apparently getting ports

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Hey, the backers of Half Genie hero get the E3 demo of the game now!

Anyone got any questions about the game? I'll see if I can answer them.

Top Bottom