• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town, Shantae for SSB4 (WayForward wants her in Smash)

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Meanwhile, back in Runbow's corner:

Also that Reggie dance near the end is already a gif

Glorious memetendo.

Last edited:

Shadow Novus

Smash Apprentice
People like Reggie are part of the reason I love Nintendo the most out of the 3 gaming Giants

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
There are two types of people in this world...

Nacho Cheese Doritos - Cool Ranch Doritos

Coke - Pepsi

Ketchup - Mustard

Mac - PC

Shantae - Shovel Knight

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
By the way... Does anyone actually know if that erox_ROA guy on Twitter actually has legit information or just great ideas?

ROA means "Return on Investment", which, according to this article I found, means: "An indicator of how profitable a company is relative to its total assets. ROA gives an idea as to how efficient management is at using its assets to generate earnings. Calculated by dividing a company's annual earnings by its total assets, ROA is displayed as a percentage. Sometimes this is referred to as "return on investment"."

So I'm not 100% sure if he's either eavesdropping on Wayforward business plans, or just had good ideas.

(This literally was an accidental double post, as I intended to copy and paste this into my last post. My fingers are clearly too big for this phone. :p )

Last edited:

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
By the way... Does anyone actually know if that erox_ROA guy on Twitter actually has legit information or just great ideas?

ROA means "Return on Investment", which, according to this article I found, means: "An indicator of how profitable a company is relative to its total assets. ROA gives an idea as to how efficient management is at using its assets to generate earnings. Calculated by dividing a company's annual earnings by its total assets, ROA is displayed as a percentage. Sometimes this is referred to as "return on investment"."

So I'm not 100% sure if he's either eavesdropping on Wayforward business plans, or just had good ideas.

(This literally was an accidental double post, as I intended to copy and paste this into my last post. My fingers are clearly too big for this phone. :p )
Who? What? Huh?

Also, any word from WayForward on why Risky's Revenge Director's Cut is skipping Nintendo consoles?

Burruni

Smash Hero
It's finally here! My Shantae Moveset!

Statistics
Height: Slightly taller than :4mario:
Weight: 91 (same as :4palutena::4duckhunt:)
Ground Speed: 1.15 (Equal to :4robinm::4robinf:)
Air Speed: 1.18 (:4greninja:)

Basic Moves
Jab Combo: Punch, kick, then hair twirl infinite (:4diddy:'s tail)

Dash Attack: Risky's Boots (:4robinm::4robinf:)

Get-Up Attack: Breakdance spin

Ledge Attack: Whipping out her hair before flipping on stage.

U-Tilt: Roundhouse kick (Boot upgrade, Shantae GB)
F-Tilt: Hair Whip
D-Tilt: Crouched Hair Whip

U-Smash: Pirate Flare, Activate!
F-Smash: Charge Kick (Pirate's Curse)
D-Smash: Pike Balls spinning around her before slamming (same properties of :4pikachu:/:4rob:'s)

U-Air: Hair spin (multi-hit, based on the Tiara upgrade from GB, functions like :4rob:/:4samus:/:4palutena:'s)
N-Air: Risky's Hat (:4gaw:'s Melee Parachute)
F-Air: Jumping hair whip
B-Air: Risky's Pistol (:4villager:'s slingshot)
D-Air: Risky's Cannon (:4megaman:'s hard knuckle, but no spike)

Grab & Pummel: Simple grab, and headbutting to pummel
U-Throw: Flips the enemy into the air using her hair (Dixie's throw from DKC2/3)
F/B-Throw: Grabbing the foe with her hair, spinning around, then throwing.
D-Throw: Volleyball Spike!

Specials
Up B: Harpy Flight (:4villager:'s balloon flight, but with faster speed, looser controls, and requires one fairly strong hit to be knocked out of). Shantae would poof in a cloud of smoke akin to Prince Sable to transform, or just have her arms turn into wings.
Neutral B: Mermaid Bubble - Shantae would do a large inhale before spitting out an explosive bubble, aiming the analog stick during the inhale would allow to change the angle of the straight shot akin to :4fox::4falco::4pit::4darkpit: recoveries.
Side B: Fireball - :4ryu: HADUKEN!
Down B: Storm Puff - A trap, can be moved by being hit and after ~5 seconds, or when the input is used a second time, would let out a strong thunder bolt (edgeguarding capability of :4villager:'s f-smash).

Final Smash: The Lamp's Curse - Inhalant windbox like :4dedede:/:4luigi:into the Magic Lamp before getting the crap beat out of them in a short cutscene of Nega Shantae flipping around transformation forms.

Animations
Entrance: Flies on screen akin to jumping between planes in Risky's Revenge "Ret-2-Go!"

Taunt 1: The little Belly Dance with the Lamp.
Taunt 2: Shantae sneezes, causing her ponytail to "Explode" into an afro, which she hurriedly brushes back with her hands.
Taunt 3: :younglinkmelee:'s Milk Chug, with a potion.

Victory 1: Shantae does an acrobatic flip before striking a victory pose, winking and giving a thumbs up.
Victory 2: I don't really have another one.
Victory 3: Really.

Defeat: Pouting, lazily claps.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493

Statistics

Basic Moves

D-Smash: Pike Balls spinning around her before slamming (same properties of :4pikachu:/:4rob:'s)

U-Air: Hair spin (multi-hit, based on the Tiara upgrade from GB, functions like :4rob:/:4samus:/:4palutena:'s)

U-Throw: Flips the enemy into the air using her hair (Dixie's throw from DKC2/3)

Specials
Up B: Harpy Flight (:4villager:'s balloon flight, but with faster speed, looser controls, and requires one fairly strong hit to be knocked out of). Shantae would poof in a cloud of smoke akin to Prince Sable to transform, or just have her arms turn into wings.
Neutral B: Mermaid Bubble - Shantae would do a large inhale before spitting out an explosive bubble, aiming the analog stick during the inhale would allow to change the angle of the straight shot akin to :4fox::4falco::4pit::4darkpit: recoveries.
Down B: Storm Puff - A trap, can be moved by being hit and after ~5 seconds, or when the input is used a second time, would let out a strong thunder bolt (edgeguarding capability of :4villager:'s f-smash).

Final Smash: The Lamp's Curse - Inhalant windbox like :4dedede:/:4luigi:into the Magic Lamp before getting the crap beat out of them in a short cutscene of Nega Shantae flipping around transformation forms.

Animations
Entrance: Flies on screen akin to jumping between planes in Risky's Revenge "Ret-2-Go!"

Taunt 2: Shantae sneezes, causing her ponytail to "Explode" into an afro, which she hurriedly brushes back with her hands.

Victory 1: Shantae does an acrobatic flip before striking a victory pose, winking and giving a thumbs up.

Lot of good ideas here, I like how much detail you went into, I could see a lot of these ideas working for her moveset, (love her second taunt BTW), all I'll say is see if you can find any more ideas for her victory animations, if you're interested, my finished ideas for Shantae in Smash are on page 139 if you'd like to check them out

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
So I have played Shovel Knight, just so I can't be shoved into the "biased" group.

My opinion hasn't changed much. :/

Yes, it's fun, the 8-bit graphics are vibrant, and Jake Kaufman's music, as usual, is fantastic.

But like I said before: It isn't unique, and that's why I don't like it very much!

When I first played Shantae, I actually had the feeling of having a new "first experience". Shantae's gameplay is pretty unique, and actually very creative at times.

When I play Shovel Knight... I feel like I'm playing Mega Man or Ducktales. I'm not saying that like it's a bad thing, as I love classic Capcom games, especially Mega Man, but that makes it get to the point where I see the Blue Bomber on the screen, rather than the shovel-weilding protagonist.

Also... I don't really want to buy that people donated 300,000$ for another 8-bit indie game, which I thought everyone was completely fed up with. With Cave Story, it had the excuse of being made by a college student in his spare time (It's true), but this required money.

Basic assumption. It's been out on PS4 and PC for a while now, you'd think Nintendo would've gotten preferential treatment.
It's confirmed, it's just coming later.

Last edited:

Midnight Twinkle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MidnightTwinkle
3DS FC
1461-6246-6413

Statistics

Basic Moves

Specials

Animations

Neat ideas, but, the Pirate Equipment is a turn off for me. Transformations are cool(although I wouldn't use them), but Pirate Equipment shouldn't be used. Shantae's a genie, not a pirate. If Risky got in as a playable character then she would use the pirate equipment. Shantae should stick to hair whipping, magic, and possibly transformations. And no offense, but The Lamp's Curse as a Final Smash? ....not sure why Shantae would use that..... again, it would fit Risky better......

Last edited:

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Neat ideas, but, the Pirate Equipment is a turn off for me. Transformations are cool(although I wouldn't use them), but Pirate Equipment shouldn't be used. Shantae's a genie, not a pirate. If Risky got in as a playable character then she would use the pirate equipment. Shantae should stick to hair whipping, magic, and possibly transformations. And no offense, but The Lamp's Curse as a Final Smash? ....not sure why Shantae would use that..... again, it would fit Risky better......
But you've got to admit: It's one of the more elaborate movesets out there.

Shantae should be allowed to any items, transformations, and gear from her past adventures. It's part of her history. Mario's only used Fludd once, yet it's part of Mario's Moveset, because Sunshine played a part in Mario's history.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
Honestly, I get what you're saying.
I tried to keep it fairly limited (Aerials & her dash attack) because, while they were Risky's to begin with, they're under Shantae's belt in history and Pirate's Curse had the most expansion for SHANTAE'S combative skills, keeping transformations out of it. GB had the two upwards kicks, drill kick, charge, and twirl for her entire expansion for combat excluding items and RR only had the 3-part line for her 3 "spells."

Across the first two games, what has Shantae done naturally in the air? Whip her hair, shoot fireballs, let Pikeballs circle around her, and drill stomp at an angle. Could I have made that drill stomp her d-air instead of the cannon? Yes. But I think having something akin to Hard Knuckle is more unique than Sonic & Zamus's d-air. Similarly, I could've done a version of the Monkey's Claw to work like Slash Claw for her B-air instead of the pistol... and I don't really have a substitude for her N-air.

And the final smash, I'll admit, was me scraping for an idea.

The final smash aside, having 4 attacks that are pirate gear across the moveset... I didn't think it was that oppressive.

Last edited:

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Honestly, I get what you're saying.
I tried to keep it fairly limited (Aerials & her dash attack) because, while they were Risky's to begin with, they're under Shantae's belt in history and Pirate's Curse had the most expansion for SHANTAE'S combative skills, keeping transformations out of it. GB had the two upwards kicks, drill kick, charge, and twirl for her entire expansion for combat excluding items and RR only had the 3-part line for her 3 "spells."

Across the first two games, what has Shantae done naturally in the air? Whip her hair, shoot fireballs, let Pikeballs circle around her, and drill stomp at an angle. Could I have made that drill stomp her d-air instead of the cannon? Yes. But I think having something akin to Hard Knuckle is more unique than Sonic & Zamus's d-air. Similarly, I could've done a version of the Monkey's Claw to work like Slash Claw for her B-air instead of the pistol... and I don't really have a substitude for her N-air.

And the final smash, I'll admit, was me scraping for an idea.

The final smash aside, having 4 attacks that are pirate gear across the moveset... I didn't think it was that oppressive.
I think a good idea for a Final Smash would be Luigi's Final Smash from Brawl.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero

Statistics

Basic Moves

Specials

Animations

Really good! So basically, for the sake of comparisons , I take it that Shantae's USpecial is essentially :pit:'s USpecial? Also, I picture Shantae to be about :4pit:'s height, if I had to be honest. Also, I think she would be about :4pit:'s ground speed as well. Also. for her victories, how about her doing a typical Belly Dance, (this time, without the lamp) and for the other, she knocks on the Magic Lamp and a multitude of rainbow sparkles surround her, causing her to be very excited and basically perform her pose at the ending of the Pirate's Curse, when she granted the Mayor's wish to return Scuttle Town to it's former glory.

Midnight Twinkle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MidnightTwinkle
3DS FC
1461-6246-6413
But you've got to admit: It's one of the more elaborate movesets out there.

Shantae should be allowed to any items, transformations, and gear from her past adventures. It's part of her history. Mario's only used Fludd once, yet it's part of Mario's Moveset, because Sunshine played a part in Mario's history.
Yeah but my point is that the pirate equipment belongs to Risky. Fludd was Mario's companion. Big difference imo. Anyways, feel free to disagree. I've shown my moveset many times before on here. And I've got quite a bit of support on my moveset idea. But in the end, we're ALL just speculating.

gb7zone7

Smash Apprentice
NNID
gb7zone7
Really good! So basically, for the sake of comparisons , I take it that Shantae's USpecial is essentially :pit:'s USpecial? Also, I picture Shantae to be about :4pit:'s height, if I had to be honest. Also, I think she would be about :4pit:'s ground speed as well. Also. for her victories, how about her doing a typical Belly Dance, (this time, without the lamp) and for the other, she knocks on the Magic Lamp and a multitude of rainbow sparkles surround her, causing her to be very excited and basically perform her pose at the ending of the Pirate's Curse, when she granted the Mayor's wish to return Scuttle Town to it's former glory.
I was thinking one of the victory animations be the Pirate Flare activation and the fireworks take form of
or her Smash logo

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
While we're on movesets, I wanna ask if there is anything I can go into more detail about on mine or possibly something I missed or could be changed?

MOVESET (warning: very long)
Entrance: Shantae flies in on a magic carpet (Half-Genie Hero for that idea) and says "Let's Go"

VA: Cristina Vee (either with new voice clips or recycled from Pirate's Curse)

Neutral Attack: a 3-hit Hair whip combo,
Dash Attack: Elbow dash from the first Shantae game
Side Tilt: consists of the Power Kick from Pirate’s Curse (with some much needed knock back to it),
Up Tilt: Shantae flicks her hair forward similar to Greninja's tongue
Down Tilt: uses the hair whip while crouching

Her Smash attacks will make use of her transformations for a brief time, but needs some time to change back, similar to Mega Man’s cooldown, and her charging animations consist of her bellydancing to change forms,
Side Smash is the Monkey Claw (slashes with her claws in Monkey Form, short reach but decent power)
Down Smash is Elephant Stomp (spins up into the air then transforms into an Elephant mid-air and pounds down, has great knockback)
Up Smash: Mermaid Flip (doing a backflip in her Mermaid form having her tail strike her opponent.)

Neutral Aerial: based of her twirl attack from the first game, she spins around ballerina style with her hair hitting opponents as she twirls around.
Forward Aerial: a midair hair whip
Back Aerial: twirls back and delivers a midair kick.
Up Aerial: In a pose similar to her Half-Genie Hero artwork, she thrusts her hand up into the air with fire in it, hits multiple times.
Down Aerial: The drill attack from the first game, similar to Sonic’s Down air, but can hit an opponent more than once.

Though not really a tether, Shantae can use her hair to grab opponents from a reasonable distance; she’d hold her opponent with her hands and pummel them with her knee.
Forward Throw: She bumps her opponent with her hip.
Back Throw: She spins to throw her opponent behind her with her hair hitting them when she finishes her spin
Down Throw: She throws her opponent to the ground and spins around like a drill on top of them.
Up throw: She performs the spin kick from the first game, with her kicking the opponent up and then somersaulting in midair in a fashion similar to Sonic's Up Smash.

Neutral Special: Bellydance-comes straight out of Risky’s Revenge, hold down the special button to perform a bellydance then let go at the end of it to transform, there are three dances to it, each of which determined by how long you hold down the button,if you let it go after the first, she’ll turn into a monkey and dashes forward using Monkey Bullet-a slightly weak but fast dash attack, the second turns her into an elephant and charges forward with Elephant Charge-a slow but powerful dash attack, the third turns her into a mermaid who jumps into the air and throws some bubble projectiles down onto the stage.

Side Special: Spitfire-shooting out three fire balls at a time, low speed but good distance.

Up Special: Harpy Form-though she doesn't dance for this one, she turns into a Harpy like in the GBC game, giving her multiple wing jumps which lasts about half as long as Villager's Up Special, if she is hit she transforms back and enters a helpless state, however she is able to attack with her talons to defend herself from opponents and even negate projectiles.

Down Special: Pike Ball-similar to Mega Man’s Leaf Shield, except it lasts longer but can’t be thrown.

Final Smash: All-Mighty Half-Genie-she spouts her catchphrase "Ret-2-Go!" and pulls out the Genie Lamp and traps everyone within range, it takes time to an area where the female protagonists from Wayforward's "Mighty" series: Patricia Wagon from Mighty Switch Force, Luna from Mighty Milky Way, and Alta from Mighty Flip Champs, come in and attack the trapped opponents one at a time, sending them flying like a pinball, Alta first uses her staff to flip a wall to strike the captured opponents, then Luna summons a small asteroid and strikes them with it, then Patricia uses her helmet to make block appear and strike them as when, then all three girls join up and Shantae joins them for one final blow.

Her taunts would consist of the dances she uses for those transformations, the D-pad would be mapped to the corresponding dances from the GBC game:
(Up Taunt:
Down Taunt:
Left Taunt:
Right Taunt:
)(these sprites were a lot smaller when I pulled them off the Shantae Wiki)

Her victory animations are:
Spinning around in midair like she does when she completes a stage from her games;
Her flying in her monkey form to grab a gem, then transforming back to perform a dance (like the Matt Bozon created micro game in WarioWare D.I.W.) ;
Performing her dance from Half-Genie Hero then her transform in/out pose with the other Wayforward girls posing behind her at the same time, Alta is behind her twirling her staff then holds it up and winks, Luna spins around and blows a kiss, Patricia takes off her helmet and wipes some sweat off her blow, then throws up a peace sign.

Victory Fanfare: Stage Clear jingle from Pirate's Curse

Alternate Costumes:

Red: Default (her physical appearance and jewelry would be based of her design in Pirate's Curse, but her top would be from Risky's Revenge, and her pants would be from Half Genie Hero)
Blue: The blue palette swap Backer costume from
Purple: Based of Risky/Nega Shantae (eyes would be yellow, but her irises would be green)
Green: Based off Rottytops
Yellow: Based off Sky
Navy: Based off Bolo
Brown: Based of the guardian genies from the first Shantae game
Pink: Pirate Costume (has the bandana, vest and leg belt and holster, but doesn't lose her sleeves, similar to her Pirate costume on the cover of the second to last Nintendo Power)
Here's my fanart reflecting this:

Other Details: She has the ability to crawl. Her default idle stance would be her full health dancing animation in Pirate’s Curse and Half Genie Hero, but it'd change depending on the damage she's taken like in those two games. Her idle animations consist of her straightening out her hair and her crossing her arms and looking behind her in an impatient kind of way, her shield dash would resemble the backdash from Risky's Revenge, her Star/Screen KO animation would resemble the twirling animation she and Risky share from the first game when she gets knocked back from the explosion from the first boss or when Risky got knocked back from the boss encounters.

Also I do have a feeling they'll made custom moves for the DLC characters so I thought I should share my ideas for hers:

Custom Neutral 1: Storm Puff-like in Risky's Revenge she summons a storm puff that stays on the stage for a bit and shoots lightning randomly, it can also be moved around.
Custom Neutral 2: Risky's Boots- I think Sakurai would think the pistol would be too realistic so I opted it out, this special works a bit differently from in Pirates Curse, you tap the special button to activate it then hold it for distance, (it automatically goes off if you hold the button too long).

Custom Side 1: Fireball-a quick moving fireball similar to Mario's custom but does some knockback.
Custom Side 2: Flamethrower-Like in Risky's Revenge-a stream of fire that doesn't deplete but disappears after a short time.

Custom Up 1: Risky's Cannon-like In Pirate's Curse, can fire cannonballs down and can be used it 3 times.
Custom Up 2: Risky's Hat-a gust of wind blows Shantae upward and she uses the hat to ride it up and can make her glide for a bit, similar to Palutena's Jump Glide.

Custom Down 1: Super Pike Ball: three Pike Balls orbit Shantae, but for a reduced time.
Custom Down 2: Pirate Flare: Like Palutena's Celestial Flareworks, but takes a bit to go off and makes Shantae vulnerable during the fireworks.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Less than a month away. Well guys this is it. Our final month before we find out if our lovable Half-Genie is in Smash 4 or not. We must do our very best to bring the hype of Shantae all across the internet. As the famous saying goes: "Do or do not, there is no try". So let's DO IT, JUST DO IT, MAKE OUR DREAMS COME TRUE.

JUST DO IT!!!!
(Anyone can recognize the reference lol)

Top Bottom