• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town, Shantae for SSB4 (WayForward wants her in Smash)

Black-magic13

Smash Apprentice
>Shantae x Old Spice YTP MV comes out a month before the ballot ends from from a popular youtuber

>Wayfoward shares it

>Terry Crews himself approves of the video

>Let's face it: Shantae has won the ballot.
Why can't you be right and a fortune teller dammit! Lol

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
So only 13 hours until we can see what YCGs big so called "Megaton" is.
Keeping in mind how small and recent YC is, I'd highly doubt anything Smash-related, compared to the rest of the internet and how easily they fall for everything.

I'd say something branding-related, like a comic or cartoon.

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
And in a one-two blow SK rumor was just deconfirmed. SK is officially getting his own amiibo, but its not smash related. Tamaki made an assumption based on the "Retailers" he reached out to confirming the amiibo. Big assumption he made.

Last edited:

DoctorSanity

Smash Journeyman
I have to admit I like the Amiibo though.

It doesn't look really like the basic Smash pose that the characters have been drawn in, but then again most of the amiibos degrade significantly in quality anyway, so eh.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
And in a one-two blow SK rumor was just deconfirmed. SK is officially getting his own amiibo, but its not smash related. Tamaki made an assumption based on the "Retailers" he reached out to confirming the amiibo. Big assumption he made.

I have to admit, that's pretty dang cool.

Hopefully Yooka-Laylee gets an Amiibo, as Playtonic is willing to make one for the Wii U version of the game.

I'm holding out for Amiibo for Half-Genie Hero, or Amiibo costumes based on few characters from Smash.

Last edited:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493

That amiibo does look cool though, makes me curious what games Yacht Club Games they'll have in the future that this amiibo will be compatible with (just a thought, but if SK isn't in Smash as a fighter, what if Nintendo and YCG makes the amiibo compatible with Smash to unlock a SK Mii Swordfighter costume? like you can still by the costume from the E-Shop, but having the amiibo would automatically unlock it?)

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
That amiibo does look cool though, makes me curious what games Yacht Club Games they'll have in the future that this amiibo will be compatible with (just a thought, but if SK isn't in Smash as a fighter, what if Nintendo and YCG makes the amiibo compatible with Smash to unlock a SK Mii Swordfighter costume? like you can still by the costume from the E-Shop, but having the amiibo would automatically unlock it?)
Shovel Knight costume for Half-Genie Hero.

make it happen

Black-magic13

Smash Apprentice
Cnj3hqB.jpg
I'm worried about shantae :/ I want her in man lol.
You and me both man. All this shovel knight talk is making me uneasy.

Also I saw this pic and its gorgeous and had to post it. Seriously how can anyone hate a character like this.

Last edited:

Children0fTheStars

Smash Apprentice
Well, I guess jealousy and a need to have their own character in the game first can be powerful things.

And that's fan art? Amazing quality, although the shading on her pants looks a little unusual in a few places. (I get how they're see-through, it's not that)

Last edited:

Shadow Novus

Smash Apprentice

You and me both man. All this shovel knight talk is making me uneasy.

Also I saw this pic and its gorgeous and had to post it. Seriously how can anyone hate a character like this.
Ditto.

And HOLY GOD that's amazing. :love:
Is there a link to the artist? That person deserves some serious props.

Last edited:

DoctorSanity

Smash Journeyman
If anything, the fact that an Indie character got their own licensed amiibo makes Nintendo much more trustworthy when it comes to indies than they were before.

It's just, it seems like they aren't planning for Shovel Knight to be in anything Smash Bros. related since the amiibo is Shovel Knight series only. (At least the plans for now.) Which makes it look pretty good for our half genie.

ikke471

The artsy ikke
NNID
ikke471
3DS FC
3695-0085-7971

while yes it's not a smash amiibo this doesn't automatically deconfirms the rumor. he had a source saying he would get an amiibo AND that he would be announced as Smash DLC later down the line of the next two months. one half came true the day after he leaked it... I'm afraid Shantae might be in trouble

conTAgi0n

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1668 7817 3192
Looks like the leaker is doubling down:

I don't know what to think about this anymore. I think we just have to wait and see.

Last edited:

Children0fTheStars

Smash Apprentice
Someone on Reddit made the suggestion that Shovel Knight's inclusion either wouldn't mean anything one way or the other for Shantae, or if anything would increase her chances. There are too many ways of looking at this:

Shovel Knight is getting an Amiibo but not in Smash: Either
1, Shantae's chances are lower or
2, it frees up a DLC slot.

If he is planned for Smash: Either
1, a single "indie slot" was spent on him instead or
2, Shantae could follow him as an additional (and more impactful in terms of her history) indie rep.

There's just no way to tell as things stand now.

About this evening's event; do we know whether or not they're actually broadcasting anything in the way of announcements, or is that something we should expect from PAX the following days? Not sure if there's anything worth staying up for today.

Last edited:

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Toad, Issabelle, and Inklings have Amiibo, but are they in Smash yet?

No. I don't see a Gold or Silver Mario, either.

court adjourned.

If there were indies in Smash, CommanderVideo and Shantae seem like more realistic choices than Shovel Knight, as they have more history with Nintendo. Heck, they were born on Nintendo systems.

Contrary to popular belief, Indies can be in Smash, shown by CommanderVideo's trophy. (At least he already has a model Smash-ready.)

Last edited:

LittleToys

Smash Cadet
Toad, Issabelle, and Inklings have Amiibo, but are they in Smash yet?

No. I don't see a Gold or Silver Mario, either.

court adjourned.

If there were indies in Smash, CommanderVideo and Shantae seem like more realistic choices than Shovel Knight, as they have more history with Nintendo. Heck, they were born on Nintendo systems.

Wait, indies can be in Smash! Have we forgotten about CommanderVideo's trophy? At least he already has a model ready.
haha you mentioning gold or silver Mario reminded me of the dreaded pink gold Peach

Mikegamer0608

Smash Lord
NNID
Mikegamer0608
So I come in to find all of these rumors of shovel knight getting into smash. I'm honestly taking this rumor with a grain of salt. It maybe true or maybe false, but for now I'm just gonna sit and wait for PAX to come around.
Like I said before I'm gonna be patient and wait to see how this plays out.
(I'm actually excited)

This amiibo looks amazing. Here's hoping Shantae will eventually get one too.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
He's not. Mods like @PushDustIn has prove he does have info, but whether or not "SK is in Smash" is up to be proven true in due time.
Knowing how picky Sakurai can be, I don't think 1 year for a 3rd party/indie character is exactly considered Smash-worthy.

Heck, Shulk's a second party, and at least Xenoblade Chronicles came out 5 years ago.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
At least they're good sports about the whole thing.

We'll be feeling a disturbance in the force

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Knowing how picky Sakurai can be, I don't think 1 year for a 3rd party/indie character is exactly considered Smash-worthy.

Heck, Shulk's a second party, and at least Xenoblade Chronicles came out 5 years ago.
To be fair, there is hardly any precedent for such a specific scenario. There are not many recent indie characters that achieved the level of prominence that Shovel Knight has in one year. I mean, that is a feat in and of itself worthy of Smash, if you ask me. I still vastly prefer Shantae, but I doubt "years" is valid criteria for indie characters just because most of them do not last long. Shantae seems more deserving as she did last as an iconic indie character, but Shovel Knight seems more notable. I doubt he will last as long as Shantae. But hey, we are living in the present. Shantae will still be a plausible option in the next Smash, it is doubtful that Shovel Knight will be.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
To be fair, there is hardly any precedent for such a specific scenario. There are not many recent indie characters that achieved the level of prominence that Shovel Knight has in one year. I mean, that is a feat in and of itself worthy of Smash, if you ask me. I still vastly prefer Shantae, but I doubt "years" is valid criteria for indie characters just because most of them do not last long. Shantae seems more deserving as she did last as an iconic indie character, but Shovel Knight seems more notable. I doubt he will last as long as Shantae. But hey, we are living in the present. Shantae will still be a plausible option in the next Smash, it is doubtful that Shovel Knight will be.
Splatoon has over a million served, but all that got was a Mii Fighter costume and a trophy. :/

Last edited:

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
Hey guys; Matt Bozon tweeted on August 23rd how Shantae was created not in 2002, but 1994. (you might say that her first significant moment was in 2002 with her first game, but the fact she was created in 1994 shows she has even more history that we might all think). Basically, this piece of info is HIGHLY significant in a way. Getting that info out there might help her chances (If I could link the tweet, I would, but I don't know how to do it).

Last edited:
Top Bottom