• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Graveyard: Disconfirmed Character Thread (SAKURAAAAAAAAAI!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

neoREgen

Smash Journeyman
I'm calling it: Ridley and Mewtwo are WiiU stage-bosses controllable with the Wii-U gamepad.

*shrug* just a guess :)
That's actually a pretty cool idea, and a decent compromise. Playable bosses as asymmetric gameplay, but not as standard characters. Hmm...

Don't think it's gonna happen, but I like where your mind's at.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
That's actually a pretty cool idea, and a decent compromise. Playable bosses as asymmetric gameplay, but not as standard characters. Hmm...

Don't think it's gonna happen, but I like where your mind's at.
I disagree. It would feel like a slap in the face to kinda be able to play as who you want, except not really. And only one one stage to boot.

Sandfall

Stage Designer
I disagree. It would feel like a slap in the face to kinda be able to play as who you want, except not really. And only one one stage to boot.
I think it would actually be pretty cool to have a 5th player be able to have limited control over the stage bosses or stage hazards. It would make FFA smashfests a little more interesting.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
Squirtle

Series: Pokemon
First Game: Pocket Monsters Red and Green
Disconfirmation: Sept 11: Final Roster reveal
role: None to my knowledge

Like millions of others, Squirtle was my first pokemon. Charmander was cute, but would evolve into the the too cool for school Charizard. Bulbasaur was strong, but poor type selection. And Squirtle was the best choice. He was useful, resilient, and one day would become something awesome. I named him Donatello after some guy in the Renaissance.

My Squirtle was tough. He could withstand thundershocks and absorb. A quick learner, he learned Dig really early. Bubblebeam was also an early favorite. But he may have grown up a little too fast, as I used him too much in battle. But eventually, he grew to follow my lead again.

We did everything together. We went to the gym. We went to the mart. We went surfing. We went fishing.

He eventually grew into a Blastoise, annihilating my opponents. The elite four stood no chance. That punk spoiled kid did not as well. It didn't matter that he had a Venusaur. My Blastoise knew Ice Beam. And we went into the Hall of Fame together. I eventually got him to level 100, and with his help, I caught all 151 pokemon (1st and last time). Eventually, Pokemon went Advance, and I had to say goodbye to my Squirtle.

This was my personal story of Squirtle. Every time I played Brawl as Pokemon Trainer, I started as Squirtle. And I remembered my first Squirtle when I battled. Every waterfall. Every withdraw. Every hydro pump. I relived my memories of the first game that I really obsessed over and conquered. And I won. And I lost. And I kept fighting...

Because I wanted to be a Pokemon Master. Along with my Squirtle.

Squirtle, the Tiny Turtle Pokemon

My Squirtle does not fear the lightening.
He goes into his shell not to hide
but to do something much more frightening,
As he unleashes Hydro Pump from inside.

But some battles are too big,
for this turtle in his tiny shell.
"They'll break you like a twig!"
No matter how much I yell.

My Squirtle will fight in any match
Regardless of the opponent's skill.
But as I trainer I must ask
Should this turtle just bend to my will?

So I think of his safety first,
And I withdraw him from play.
Rather than let him face the worst,
I'll train him for another day.

Last edited:

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Krystal
image.jpg

Series: StarFox
Debut: StarFox Adventures
Disconfirmation: 9/11/2014 (Not unlocked by streamers)
Role: According to supposed leak, trophy

"I received a garbled distress signal. It said something about a mountain hidden in a storm. Whoever they are, they sound in great danger."

Undoubtedly the most important female character in StarFox History, Krystal has served as Fox McCloud's love interest all throughout the series starting with her first appearance in 2002. Her homeland Cerinia was supposedly destroyed after both of her parents were killed. She set out to find answers as to who or what destroyed her homeland, and eventually came to the Lylat System, coming across the planet Sauria after receiving a distress signal.

After rescuing a Krazoa Spirit and returning it to it's respective sanctuary, she was trapped inside a Crystal Veil, but later saved by Fox McCloud of Corneria. Krystal almost immediately joined team StarFox, and eventually marries Fox in a possible ending to StarFox Command.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Isaac

Series: Golden Sun
Debut: Golden Sun: The Broken Seal
Disconfirmation: September 11, 2014 (Final Roster Reveal)
Role: None

"I knew what I was doing the moment I raised my sword."

Isaac is the protagonist of the first two books of the Golden Sun saga. Isaac is a Venus Adept, a user of the ancient Alchemical skill known as Psynergy. Psynergy is the ability to manipulate the elements of the world with one's mind. Isaac, being a Venus Adept, specializes in the Earth element. These skills include earthquakes, avalanches, plant growth, telekinesis, healing or reviving allies, manifesting ethereal swords, and limited teleportation.

His hometown of Vale is beset by powerful foes who steal the Elemental Stars, mighty relics that house the key to unlocking the power of Alchemy and its potential to destroy the world. These thieves are helped by an old friend, Felix, who Isaac had thought died three years earlier, and they take Felix's sister Jenna, as a hostage along with them. Isaac sets off on an adventure to stop the thieves, recover the Elemental Stars, save Jenna, and save the world. Along the way, he befriends a number of other Adepts, and a large number of elemental Djinn, cute little embodiments of elemental force that strengthen Adepts and allow them to use Psynergy of other elements, further increasing his impressive arsenal of mental powers. Djinn can also be used to attack directly, or called upon to summon incredible spirits to attack foes.

Eventually, Isaac falls into a trap, only to be saved by Felix. As he confronts his old friend, he is told that, while Alchemy may pose a danger to the world, it is also necessary for the world's continued existence, and that it must be unleashed to save the world. With the disparate parties reunited, Isaac takes the lead to unleash the very power he set out to stop. With the world saved from it's slow demise, Isaac eventually returns to a nearly destroyed home, and settles down to a quiet life with Jenna, whom he later marries and has a son with.

Isaac is pure of heart, often going out of his ways to help others at cost to himself. He spends much of the first game righting wrongs inflicted upon the people of Angara by the foes who stole the Elemental Stars. He rarely speaks, but develops an incredible strength and presence that command attention even among the elite rulers of the world. He is trusting, honest, and quick to defend his friends. He also winds up being one of the most powerful Adepts in the world, and is quite willing to challenge demigods on matters of principle.

The Golden Sun series left of with his son, Matthew, returning home from his own first adventure, only to find no sign of his father at their home. Whatever prompted Isaac to leave, we cannot say. We only know that it was not an invitation to the Smash Bros. tournament.

"!!!"

Assist Trophy not returning in Super Smash Bros. for 3DS.

Isaac, Moving On.
That is beautiful.

Dillo64

Smash Apprentice
I still cant understand how he put Dr. Mario in over Mewtwo and Ridley. The only explanation is that he was lazy and didnt want to make a new character.
The other, more likely, more logical explanation is that he didn't have TIME to make another unique character, so he crammed in a clone instead as a late addition, since clones take a fraction of the development time to make than a complex unique fighter like Ridley.

Always bugs me when people say stuff like this. If we didn't have clones in Melee, then there would have only been 20 Characters playable. They did not "push out" other unique fighters and aren't a result of laziness, they are a result of time constraints and actually the developers going out of their way to give us extras. Really we should be happy to have any extra characters at all.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
The other, more likely, more logical explanation is that he didn't have TIME to make another unique character, so he crammed in a clone instead as a late addition, since clones take a fraction of the development time to make than a complex unique fighter like Ridley.

Always bugs me when people say stuff like this. If we didn't have clones in Melee, then there would have only been 20 Characters playable. They did not "push out" other unique fighters and aren't a result of laziness, they are a result of time constraints and actually the developers going out of their way to give us extras. Really we should be happy to have any extra characters at all.
Roy is obviously a much better choice than Doc

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Krystal
View attachment 24873
Series: StarFox
Debut: StarFox Adventures
Disconfirmation: 9/11/2014 (Not unlocked by streamers)
Role: According to supposed leak, trophy

"I received a garbled distress signal. It said something about a mountain hidden in a storm. Whoever they are, they sound in great danger."

Undoubtedly the most important female character in StarFox History, Krystal has served as Fox McCloud's love interest all throughout the series starting with her first appearance in 2002. Her homeland Cerinia was supposedly destroyed after both of her parents were killed. She set out to find answers as to who or what destroyed her homeland, and eventually came to the Lylat System, coming across the planet Sauria after receiving a distress signal.

After rescuing a Krazoa Spirit and returning it to it's respective sanctuary, she was trapped inside a Crystal Veil, but later saved by Fox McCloud of Corneria. Krystal almost immediately joined team StarFox, and eventually marries Fox in a possible ending to StarFox Command.
Dude, seriously she might be in the Wii U version and transferable between rosters, seriously it makes perfect sense

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Also applies to Ridley, Mewtwo, Bandana Dee, Impa... what other characters are left, now that K. Rool's out?
That's about it, seriously Sakurai is not stupid, I'm guessing the 3DS roster disappointment was part of the plan for the game, to push the Wii U version, both rosters could have transferable characters, Sakurai said he'd like to experiment with the connectivity between Wii U and 3DS, and what better way than having the Wii U have more characters, which can be transferred to 3DS via the connection abilities, and technically both games could have the same rosters that way, it strikes me as something Sakurai would do, hype up a platform's newest features (Melee's FMV intro for GCN, and Brawl's WiFi Connection for Wii)

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Ice Climbers

Series: Ice Climber
First Game: Ice Climber
Disconfirmation: Sept 11: Final Roster Reveal
Role: Left Out In The Cold

Some people really don't know what they've had until it's gone. Many feel the same way about this adorable duo. I, though, had a much stronger personal connection to them. Unlike most, I knew them before Smash Bros. I had played their game when I was very young. A friend of my father had a few old arcade machines, and let me play them sometimes. I remember he had three: Mario Bros., Pac-Man, and Ice Climber. I was drawn to the latter. I'd completely forgotten about this until years later when I discovered Smash Bros. I saw them, and suddenly I was drowned by nostalgia. They'd been brought back.

I had hoped that someday they'd get a new game. A mountain-climbing adventure game with side quests, weather conditions, and scary wildlife. That day never came, sadly. They'd been forgotten, but at least not by Smash Bros. There, they'd live on. Forever.

Brawl came out, and it was an exciting time. To my surprise, quite a number of people were calling for the Climbers to be cut. "Irrelevant!" they'd say. "Unknown!" they'd chant. But I never let it get me down. Sakurai cared enough to bring them back from obscurity once, so I was sure he'd do it again. And he did! Sure, they were revealed much later than most characters. In fact, if I remember correctly, they were the third to last character revealed pre-release, with only Sheik and Olimar following. They looked beautiful, too. Brawl was quite the graphical update.

I never could effectively chain grab or wobble, but I never let that get me down. I just enjoyed playing as them. I started speculating for Smash 4 hardcore around early 2011, joining Smashboards in August. The 3DS came out, and on its Virtual Console, the first thing I did was download Ice Climber. It was the perfect game on the go. Life was good again. These days, those who called for the Climbers to be cut were near impossible to find. Many loved these little mountaineers. I was overjoyed to see others feel the way I did. I started speculating new Ice Climber stages, how some moves could be improved, thoughts to fix the chaingrab issue, and many other things. I was overjoyed to hear that soon their little fuzzy parkas would shine in brilliant HD.

The first trailer was shown, and everyone was blown away. Slowly, more and more characters were revealed. The Ice Climbers weren't shown right away, but hey, we still had time. They'd make it. They were guaranteed. Even if several anniversaries were missed, along with NES Remix.

The April Direct brought about the announcement of Smash Run. In it, I was overjoyed to see the Polar Bear take part in Smash Run as an enemy. This virtually confirmed the Ice Climbers! Why else would they bring back the Polar Bear?

Months pass. Still no Ice Climbers. I figure they'll again be among the last revealed. It happened in Brawl, I told myself. Late in the summer, a cryptic leak came about. You all know the one. It was text based. In it, they claimed the Ice Climbers were cut. While the information seemed believable, I didn't buy it. It was simply because they weren't in the build they saw. They likely still had some of those pesky "technical issues" to take care of on the 3DS. Sakurai wouldn't forsake them...would he?

Next comes late August. The leak now had picture evidence from the ESRB. It showed the roster. The Ice Climbers were nowhere to be found. Filled with despair, there was one last bit of hope I held on to. The lock. As a moderator, locks were part of my daily life. Now things just got meta. The lock meant some characters weren't unlocked!

Shulk was then shown to be exactly as the leak showed. This wasn't good. Eventually, we come to September 11th. The street date for Smash 3DS in Japan is broken. Tension stirs. Sadly, when the "All Characters Unlocked" message appears, the Ice Climbers are nowhere to be found. The Polar Bear's trophy has the Smash Bros. Symbol, instead of an eggplant. Hope was gone.

The Ice Climbers are without a doubt the most tragic loss. They had been reborn through Smash. They had been a staple in the series for thirteen long years. Now they're gone, likely through the 3DS limitations. They lost the only thing they had keeping them alive: Smash Bros.

Their only hope, no matter how slim now, is if they are on the Wii U version's starting roster, and are free 3DS DLC when Sakurai and his team figure out how to solve their issues. They'd do that for them. Sakurai wouldn't abandon them, would he? Right?

I'll preface by saying that I cannot draw. Given the circumstances, however, I doodled a thing.

Pardon my awful drawing and handwriting.

Rest in peace, Nana and Popo. Yours was truly the most devastating loss.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Ice Climbers

Some people really don't know what they've had until it's gone. Many feel the same way about this adorable duo. I, though, had a much stronger personal connection to them. Unlike most, I knew them before Smash Bros. I had played their game when I was very young. A friend of my father had a few old arcade machines, and let me play them sometimes. I remember he had three: Mario Bros., Pac-Man, and Ice Climber. I was drawn to the latter. I'd completely forgotten about this until years later when I discovered Smash Bros. I saw them, and suddenly I was drowned by nostalgia. They'd been brought back.

I had hoped that someday they'd get a new game. A mountain-climbing adventure game with side quests, weather conditions, and scary wildlife. That day never came, sadly. They'd been forgotten, but at least not by Smash Bros. There, they'd live on. Forever.

Brawl came out, and it was an exciting time. To my surprise, quite a number of people were calling for the Climbers to be cut. "Irrelevant!" they'd say. "Unknown!" they'd chant. But I never let it get me down. Sakurai cared enough to bring them back from obscurity once, so I was sure he'd do it again. And he did! Sure, they were revealed much later than most characters. In fact, if I remember correctly, they were the third to last character revealed pre-release, with only Sheik and Olimar following. They looked beautiful, too. Brawl was quite the graphical update.

I never could effectively chain grab or wobble, but I never let that get me down. I just enjoyed playing as them. I started speculating for Smash 4 hardcore around early 2011, joining Smashboards in August. The 3DS came out, and on its Virtual Console, the first thing I did was download Ice Climber. It was the perfect game on the go. Life was good again. These days, those who called for the Climbers to be cut were near impossible to find. Many loved these little mountaineers. I was overjoyed to see others feel the way I did. I started speculating new Ice Climber stages, how some moves could be improved, thoughts to fix the chaingrab issue, and many other things. I was overjoyed to hear that soon their little fuzzy parkas would shine in brilliant HD.

The first trailer was shown, and everyone was blown away. Slowly, more and more characters were revealed. The Ice Climbers weren't shown right away, but hey, we still had time. They'd make it. They were guaranteed. Even if several anniversaries were missed, along with NES Remix.

The April Direct brought about the announcement of Smash Run. In it, I was overjoyed to see the Polar Bear take part in Smash Run as an enemy. This virtually confirmed the Ice Climbers! Why else would they bring back the Polar Bear?

Months pass. Still no Ice Climbers. I figure they'll again be among the last revealed. It happened in Brawl, I told myself. Late in the summer, a cryptic leak came about. You all know the one. It was text based. In it, they claimed the Ice Climbers were cut. While the information seemed believable, I didn't buy it. It was simply because they weren't in the build they saw. They likely still had some of those pesky "technical issues" to take care of on the 3DS. Sakurai wouldn't forsake them...would he?

Next comes late August. The leak now had picture evidence from the ESRB. It showed the roster. The Ice Climbers were nowhere to be found. Filled with despair, there was one last bit of hope I held on to. The lock. As a moderator, locks were part of my daily life. Now things just got meta. The lock meant some characters weren't unlocked!

Shulk was then shown to be exactly as the leak showed. This wasn't good. Eventually, we come to September 11th. The street date for Smash 3DS in Japan is broken. Tension stirs. Sadly, when the "All Characters Unlocked" message appears, the Ice Climbers are nowhere to be found. The Polar Bear's trophy has the Smash Bros. Symbol, instead of an eggplant. Hope was gone.

The Ice Climbers are without a doubt the most tragic loss. They had been reborn through Smash. They had been a staple in the series for thirteen long years. Now they're gone, likely through the 3DS limitations. They lost the only thing they had keeping them alive: Smash Bros.

Their only hope, no matter how slim now, is if they are on the Wii U version's starting roster, and are free 3DS DLC when Sakurai and his team figure out how to solve their issues. They'd do that for them. Sakurai wouldn't abandon them, would he? Right?

I'll preface by saying that I cannot draw. Given the circumstances, however, I doodled a thing.

This is beautiful.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Ice Climbers

That Wreck It Ralph reference ..... it's making the feels hit me harder. ;_;

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
And have people complain about 5 Fire Emblem characters? Even though I am a huge Fire Emblem fan, having two clones of Marth might not sit well with people at all.
At least Roy is an original character, unlike Doc, who is an EXACT same character of Mario regardless of moveset.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
For Ridley if he's deconfirmed twice (him not being dlc either) this is perfect

Bad = a boss again

Will Never be Good = failed to be playable again

Last edited:

Dillo64

Smash Apprentice
Also applies to Ridley, Mewtwo, Bandana Dee, Impa... what other characters are left, now that K. Rool's out?
Shoot.... Has a Cranky Kong trophy been found yet?

Because IMO he deserves to be in just as much as Dixie/K. Rool. He's been in every major DK game, including the classics(in fact his FS should be him drinking a potion that turns him into Oldschool DK, lol) so I'd be stoked if he got in as a DK rep DLC....

IronFish

Smash Ace

Because IMO he deserves to be in just as much as Dixie/K. Rool. He's been in every major DK game, including the classics(in fact his FS should be him drinking a potion that turns him into Oldschool DK, lol) so I'd be stoked if he got in as a DK rep DLC....
he is in jungle japes remember?

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

Cranky trophy was found all over the place during the E3 demo. He was the first DK trophy found, and unlike K. Rool and Dixie, he didn't even have a new model.

EDIT: And yes, he was in Jungle Japes.

Last edited:

ender_idk

Smash Journeyman
Ice Climbers

My condolences comrade.

may we pray they do come back someway through either DLC or a patch like you said.

*salutes*

fenyx4

Smash Journeyman
Dang, why did I venture into this thread..? So depressing, particularly this week.. >.<

We don't have a choice, really. In less than 24 hours, all the character threads are being put in the Archives.
:( I kind of wish this thread was excluded so that at least the cut veterans can get proper good-byes... Solid Snake got a few good ones in his "support/prediction" thread, if I recall correctly..quite saddening. :<

Farewell to you all, cut/unchosen characters, be you veteran or potential newcomer...farewell even to the unpopular ones and the ones that I didn't support.. Farewell to you, disconfirmed things that weren't characters! Good job to the individuals maintaining the initial posts on the first page.. (I liked the posts for the caretaking, not for the dis-confirmations themselves..)

As to Ridley, Mewtwo, King K. Rool, and Isaac...you'll get your chance someday..

Last edited:

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
When this thread gets archived the last post in it should be the big boss salute GIF.

D

Deleted member

Before this thread gets locked, I just want to say rest in peace to all of the characters that got disconfirmed over time. I give my condolences to everyone whose newcomer they supported didn't get in or if their mains were cut.
You all may be gone, but you will never be forgotten.

Shin F.

Smash Master
Ice Climbers

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
Man... all of the feels in this thread... not insulting but I really feel you all who feel sad from having their favorites not playable... I am with all of you.

Enigma14

Smash Champion
So Lucas is the only veteran w/o a trophy? Has a Mewtwo one been sighted yet?

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
Snake

Series: Metal Gear Solid
First Game: Metal Gear (MSX)
Disconfirmation: 9/11/14
Role: Forgotten Hero

It has been a long and arduous road for the hero known as solid snake. Once at the forefront of third party characters for smash bros, he opened the door and set the standard for everyone that came after him. Myself and many will never forget the sheer surprise that was his reveal at E3 all those years ago, we were greeted with a "showtime!" and we knew we were in for a treat. For me personally I was familiar with the mgs series, and id played a number of them over my lifetime, but it wasnt till i saw him in brawl that i went back to it. And i am ever grateful for it because since then its become one of my favorite video game series ever. He is the essence of what smash bros does best, we are introduced to new series and new experiences with all these characters which is why what snake brought was just as integral to the series as any other.

Some say he doesnt fit, but i cant agree, and even in that sense he fits more then any since his juxtaposition makes him just as diverse as the rest of these characters. For months we heard this and much more thrown at snake, everything from "hes not nintendo enough" to "kojima did nintendo no favors" and everything in between was hurled at our hero. But we pursisted, and it didnt put a damper to the fans of snake and their patriotism towards the hero. Sure with each passing month things became harder and harder, but the fight raged on and we kept our cool. There were highs and lows like any speculation, a voice actor supposedly letting it slip he voiced raiden in smash bros was a glimmer of hope. But soon after our dreams were dashed as he was mistaken in his claim, and we were back at square one. Even a direct question from kojima was vague, but it was just enough so that we could possibly see it in a good light, but that too was also another lead that led nowhere. I can say the best that came out of speculation for this game was all the fans of snake and how we have banded together and managed to stave off those who didnt care for the character, while being able to discuss everything we enjoyed abut him.

From codecs to his moveset snake had it all, as the only trap character in the game his style will leave a massive void. His codecs with the colonel and the others were a highlight and treat to behold in brawl, it was superb to see snake trying to deal with forces unlike he had ever seen. But even outside of smash bros snake has taught me more then i could ever imagine. MGS as a series has some somber tones and moral messages, snake as he lived had to deal with hardship and pain throughout it. Hell ill go as far as to say id strive to be as good a man as he is portrayed to be, he fought for what he believed in, and everyone else should as well. Its been hard to see him fall in the eyes of his fans, while the bias against him was strong from the nintendo purists. But among the bad there will always be a ray of light, and over the course of his disconfirmation you can see those that did care for him and the loss of him come to the surface. As far as im concerned smash bros wiiu and any after will never have reached its full potential until snake has made a return. He represented so much more then just a third party, it was bridging the gaps between fandoms and joining us all as one with all the characters we know and love. And thats the most important thing a character can do, bring us togetherI could go on for days, but i feel as though everything that has and could be said is within the snake thread. And even then, i still cant put it perfectly into words how i feel about this whole situation and how much i enjoy snake as a character and an addition to the smash bros series.

Some characters will at least still get acknowledged in this game, but snake like most of the greatest heroes in history wont get a medal, trophy, or recognition. But in a way, thats probably how he would have wanted it, he lives on in other ways, heroes get remembered, but legends never die (like the sandlot taught us). As it has ended in the way we most feared, we still wont rest, if DLC is possible then we will pick up the mantle for snake once more. Till then

Life is a fragile thing, but we will always have the brawl to end them all...

So long old friend, you may be gone, but you live on in our hearts and in every MGS game hereafter.

"Find something to believe in, and find it for yourself. When you do, pass it on to the future." - Solid Snake

Last edited:

Alex Night

Smash Ace
NNID
obiwan_jacoby
3DS FC
2234-7921-2718
Snake

Series: Metal Gear Solid
First Game: Metal Gear (MSX)
Disconfirmation: 9/11/14
Role: Forgotten Hero

It has been a long and arduous road for the hero known as solid snake. Once at the forefront of third party characters for smash bros, he opened the door and set the standard for everyone that came after him. Myself and many will never forget the sheer surprise that was his reveal at E3 all those years ago, we were greeted with a "showtime!" and we knew we were in for a treat. For me personally I was familiar with the mgs series, and id played a number of them over my lifetime, but it wasnt till i saw him in brawl that i went back to it. And i am ever grateful for it because since then its become one of my favorite video game series ever. He is the essence of what smash bros does best, we are introduced to new series and new experiences with all these characters which is why what snake brought was just as integral to the series as any other.

Some say he doesnt fit, but i cant agree, and even in that sense he fits more then any since his juxtaposition makes him just as diverse as the rest of these characters. For months we heard this and much more thrown at snake, everything from "hes not nintendo enough" to "kojima did nintendo no favors" and everything in between was hurled at our hero. But we pursisted, and it didnt put a damper to the fans of snake and their patriotism towards the hero. Sure with each passing month things became harder and harder, but the fight raged on and we kept our cool. There were highs and lows like any speculation, a voice actor supposedly letting it slip he voiced raiden in smash bros was a glimmer of hope. But soon after our dreams were dashed as he was mistaken in his claim, and we were back at square one. Even a direct question from kojima was vague, but it was just enough so that we could possibly see it in a good light, but that too was also another lead that led nowhere. I can say the best that came out of speculation for this game was all the fans of snake and how we have banded together and managed to stave off those who didnt care for the character, while being able to discuss everything we enjoyed abut him.

From codecs to his moveset snake had it all, as the only trap character in the game his style will leave a massive void. His codecs with the colonel and the others were a highlight and treat to behold in brawl, it was superb to see snake trying to deal with forces unlike he had ever seen. But even outside of smash bros snake has taught me more then i could ever imagine. MGS as a series has some somber tones and moral messages, snake as he lived had to deal with hardship and pain throughout it. Hell ill go as far as to say id strive to be as good a man as he is portrayed to be, he fought for what he believed in, and everyone else should as well. Its been hard to see him fall in the eyes of his fans, while the bias against him was strong from the nintendo purists. But among the bad there will always be a ray of light, and over the course of his disconfirmation you can see those that did care for him and the loss of him come to the surface. As far as im concerned smash bros wiiu and any after will never have reached its full potential until snake has made a return. He represented so much more then just a third party, it was bridging the gaps between fandoms and joining us all as one with all the characters we know and love. And thats the most important thing a character can do, bring us togetherI could go on for days, but i feel as though everything that has and could be said is within the snake thread. As it has ended in the way we most feared, we still wont rest, if DLC is possible then we will pick up the mantle for snake once more. Till then

Life is a fragile thing, but we will always have the brawl to end them all...

So long old friend, you may be gone, but you live on in our hearts and in every MGS game hereafter.

"Find something to believe in, and find it for yourself. When you do, pass it on to the future." - Solid Snake

You sir are my freaking hero... :cry:

SmashK.O.

Smash Rookie
At least Roy is an original character, unlike Doc, who is an EXACT same character of Mario regardless of moveset.
Original Character means nothing if he is going to be a clone of Marth. That's what the poster was trying to say, and people would complain that Sakurai wasted a slot on a yet another FE character only to end up becoming a clone.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom