• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The God of Evil: Ganondorf 3.5 Guide

Super_Primid

Smash Apprentice
Overview:
So in this update alone, Ganon has become faster, gotten the ability to float for even more mindgame and movement goodness. YES PLEASE. Also, lets not forget that he has a cape slap! - - - - - Yea I'll explain that later. So now the manliest and most fun character in the game has become canon, and everything is right with the world. With his jaw dropping power, unrivaled mindgame potential, and juicy hitboxes, I think it's the time the King no GOD of Evil became top tier. 90 % of guide goes to @ leekslap leekslap

PROS AND CONS:
- Some of the most powerful attacks in the game plus most chaingrabs; meaning his damage output is off the charts.
- Has wonderful range, some being on par with someone like Marth, and then there is his grab.
- Big dash dance, float, flame choke, and slow but strong attacks all add up to a strong mental game with easy punishes, setups and mixups.
- All around great moveset especially on his air attacks.
- High survivability and if you take into account his weight, up b, down b jump renewal, AND his new float then you have a true tank.

- Very slow movement and lomg startup on SOME kill moves.
- Easy to gimp recovery
- Has to mindgame for basically ALL his attacks and has to then mix up those mindgames.
- Horrible against pressure and combo food if you allow it. (Or if you are fighting a Falco)

VIDEOS:
Hold up Joe! If you are a newer player, you gotta go to skool!
Reading: -

Yeah it's school time for you rookies.
MOVESET:
Ganondorf's fastest move. At low-mid percents, this move is guaranteed a follow up. At higher percents, this move is a GTFO move. So yea.

His best move for walling out opponents on the ground because of its range and knockback and even onstage edgeguarding! This move isn't good for comboing from but better for ending combos.

A ranged move that also pops them up for combos? Gadlike. Also, you can do it on most chracters after aerial Flame Choke.

A faster, weaker version of his brawl/melee volcano stomp. This would be a quick punisher for Ganondorf. For some reason, the PMDT lets you sometimes combo this from aerial flame choke. Psshh.. Scrubs.

Ganondorf's dash attack is one if those moves where you have to figure of your own use. It combos into aerials at low-mid percents and kill, sometimes, at high percents. A creative use of this move could be: waveland➡moonwalk/stickwalk➡last second dash attack Dash attack does have burst range so that is useful.

A fast aerial with good range and amazing auto cancel frames. This is also Arty's favorite move too. The reason it's so good is because it auto cancels off a fast falled short hop, a normal short hop, and a falling full hop. At times, the two hits don't always connect. It sends them upwards if landed on the right spot, setting up for a free aerial.

A semi-disjointed ranged finisher/gimper/waller. This is a relatively slow move though. SHFFL this brutal attack to wall aggressive players.

Combos extremely well and gimps like most of Ganon moves. Plus it's one of his fastest moves along with jab and nair. You can jump, waveland, float, or all of the above with just 1 short hop bair. Bair doesn't have a large disjoint though.

Juggling, gimping, comboing, edgeguarding, spacing, whatever. Then to top it off, it is fast and has a lot of range. Spacing correctly, it rivals A MARTH F SMASH! (Slight exaggeration though.) How this move works is based on what part of Ganondorf's leg you hit with. If you hit with the front, you'll send them strongly forward. If you hit them with the more backwards from the middle part, you'll send them backwards. If you hit with the backwards part where he moves his legs in a wide stroke, it sends them weakly back wards. Don't ever forget, hitting on the tip of his foot will semi spike, an amazing move for gimping. You can do some cool stuff with platforms. It's range is big so it covers a whole platform and if they are chasing you on a platform you can run off and semi spike.

Strongest meteor in the game, star KOs around 100%, combos amazingly at low percents, and just hurts people soul by getting this move off. Dair auto cancles of a short hop, so yea. Safe shield pressure. Main reason why its not Godlike is because Ganon's crappy mobility make this more for hard reads and techchases. Also, the hitbox extends from his chin (which is a spike?) soooooo... I guess Ganon is so strong, he can he with his chin. I like to use it as an starter for combos.

Very powerful but pretty slow. In 3.0 and before, this move was EXTREMELY difficult to set up to, but in 3.5, his reflector, aka Dead Man's Volley(DMV), is a GAURANTEED jab reset at ANY percent. More talk will be in that moves section.

Can combo but has a limited horizantal hitbox. A DACUS makes it really good. It's one of his best moves for chasing opponents and continuing combos.
Faster than forward smash but still slow. Very strong and good for attacking people who like to roll. Good to use after a jab reset.

Your get-off-the-stage throw. Much stronger than before and can even straight up kill sometimes.

Completely out classed by forward throw. I guess you get a free up air semi spike though.

Good for starting combo or juggles, and it can chain grabs spacies to 60% before continuing with down throw.

You can follow up with anything and it chaingrabs for days.

Commonly called hover, dark descent is an extremely versatile tool. It allows Ganon to go deeper for edgeguards, can be used for easy baits and techchases, gives him an approach, and beats camp. Also, due to this being a special mapped float, you can b reverse or wavebounce it. (CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TEST IF A B-REVERSED FLOAT CAN STOP (or reverse) KNOCKBACK!)

Techchases, and has several followups on the aerial version, but punishable. Also for recovery. Opens up a whole new world of mindgames and mixups. His aerial version is better since it pops them up a bit to get a followup instead of a techchase. Though grounded version has a jab reset chance if they don't tech.

Very self explanatory. Also happens to be the only followup to down throw on floaties at higher percentages and a psuedo shield grab for tiny characters Ganon is too tall to grab. An... odd out of sheild option.

It's a strong mixup that also gives him a third jump for recovery. Ledge canceling it would maximize mobility. Nice knockback and can set up for edgegaurding if not out right killing. Wizard's Foot can tear through projectiles like Mario's fireballs.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ TECHS AND STRATEGIES
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
exactly how it sounds like. Aerial flame choke is more difficult to tech than grounded.

Aerial Wizard's Foot apparently lets you jump again so make sure to DI to that corner!

Ganon's waveland is way longer if you airdodge horizontally during a certain part of his double jump onto a platform.

Exactly what it sounds like. Aerial Wizard's Foot directly at the corner of the stage. Use this in your own unique way. Such as for a combo.

Side b an opponent and take them down to hell with you.

just try to grounded side b offstage and you'll grab the ledge instead! (Though remember to hold back after Ganon starts moving)

side b just above the ledge to perform a grounded side b with the aerial side b attack to combine the best of both worlds.

down b right before you land to only unleash his earthquake attack. (Landing attack of his aerial Wizard's Foot)

There's the wavedash back after running towards opponent to punish grab, sheild, dash attack, crossup, etc. If your opponent does the same then it resets the situation. Always be the one with the advantage so just be patient and keep baiting. There's dashdancing for techchasing and baiting and making opponets uncertain if they will even hit you. Ganon's dash dance is big and is also useful for tech chases. There's the ledge mindgames where you try to predict what the opponent will do when the opponent is edgeguarding you. Planking ( ledge hop attack ) up air would be a nice option. Also works in reverse when you are the edgeguarder. Forward tilt, up air, fair, and dair are best for edgefarting. Flame Choke opens up a whole new world of mindgames and mixups. For example let's say you've been planking up air and he/she gets used to it and jumps. That's when you know planking won't cut it so next time, you side b him and catch him just as he lands. It's so good at punishing preemptive stuff like rolls and shields and tilts and stuff, and it expands his approach and combo game a lot more than how he was in Melee. It's also very easy to bait with dashdances, wavedash back, etc.
Flame Choke to:
- jab
- down tilt
- up tilt
- flame choke
- wizard's foot
- dair
- DMV

Down throw to:
- up air
- down throw/regrab
- jab
- dair

BONUS
YOU THOUGHT I WAS DONE! Hahaha thought I wasn't gonna have to bring this up! Though this move was "sprinkled" around in this guide, This is my full on section. Ok! Let's get this started.

This, this move. It has a lot of potential. Ok so I am just gonna say it, this is my favorite move. DMV has a low hitting, extremely weak hitbox. This, is amazing because it is a jab reset at any percent. (Though you do have to pause for a second to land the hit.) This is where grounded side b is useful.(With aerial side b giving 2 chances to tech.) Anyway, here are some combos(all, but 1, forward b combos are for missed techs):
forward b➡ DMV➡:
-jab➡anything
-forward smash (with a little charge)
-down smash (charge)
-up smash (charge ; take step forward just in case)
-down tilt
-up tilt -forward tilt
-ANOTHER FORWARD B
-dair

This is activated as a mere double tap of special in the air. The faster the better. This isnt as good as the grounded version in my opinion because it doesn't easily jab reset. Though this version does have is uses! It instantly makes you fall, with little landing lag. Meaning a short hop up air on sheild could be followed up with this move. Bair can too though you will need to b reverse the float first. This is more for sheild pressure then combos. Examples are:
Short hop up air ➡Aerial DMV➡
-jab
-down tilt
-forward tilt
-up tilt
-forward b
-down b
-up b (if you want to be crazy and also if they don't have amazing out of sheild options)
-disrespect grounded DMV (you won't believe how much this may catch someone off gaurd)

O yea, I almost for got to say that DMV has a reflector.People on the Ganon boards were saying it was difficult but, once you get the timing, it's not to bad. This is where the aerial one may shine since you could do a low to the ground Air DMV and approach behind the projectile.
CLOSING
Thank you for reading this guide about the God of Darkness. With the new tools Ganondorf was given in 3.5, he is now a solid upper mid tier. The only way for him to be pushed higher is for our creativity and skills to move him forward. If you finished and read all this...... Well, you are amazing.Thanks to Leekslap(@ leekslap leekslap ) for the original guide.

Last edited:

ZestE

Smash Cadet
Interesting Guide that certainly brings great points (like the DMV jab reset... so gawdteer). IT would be nice if we could organize this with spoilers to clean up the presentatation and dive deeper into some topics that were brought up but not explained. There is an assumption that people know exactly what some things are, and as this is a guide, it should be as direct and unassuming. Well done though!

Super_Primid

Smash Apprentice
Interesting Guide that certainly brings great points (like the DMV jab reset... so gawdteer). IT would be nice if we could organize this with spoilers to clean up the presentatation and dive deeper into some topics that were brought up but not explained. There is an assumption that people know exactly what some things are, and as this is a guide, it should be as direct and unassuming. Well done though!
Thank you for the amazing input I am currently only able to use mobile due to my computer crashing so making spoilers is almost imposible.

Edit: I just took the time to go and spoil it........ Took forever.

Last edited:

leekslap

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2294-4978-8399
I feel offended by this guide for some reason. Like get your priorities straight, PUT MY NAME AT THE BEGINNING. You barely changed my stuff so that's not fair at all. I'd rather have you revamp it than add some grammar check and dumb sentences. #kappa I'm so mean lol HE IS NOT THE GOD OF EVIL

Top Bottom