• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Georgia Sushi Thread.

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
man, i don't understand people trying to justify their overt love of japan.

i thoroughly enjoy nordic culture and black metal but you don't see me scrambling to try to be scandinavian.

norse runes? baller.
the beautiful country and amazing culture? sweet.
black metal? the bee's knees.

am i going to dye all my hair blonde and raid the east coast utilizing ancient norse languages i learned out of sheer desire to be norse? no.

ama(m/t)

Smash Lord
well no see i had a japanese girlfriend once so it's ok for me to want to be japanese so i may repeat that experience since i was japanese the first time

BearsAreScary

Smash Journeyman
In all seriousness (which you may find to be rare from me), my trip to Japan has helped sober me up to what Japan's really like. Going there as a tourist, it's really hard to pick up on all the subtleties that people and society in general give off to foreigners (example: if you are white/black/not asian and sit on the train, nobody will sit next to you, people will even get up from their seat if you sat next to them and move, not to another seat, but to a DIFFERENT CAR ENTIRELY - this happened to me almost every day). If you go there as a study abroad student or go into the workforce there in some shape or form, you will quickly realize that beneath the surface lurks something very dark.

For a much more eloquent (and entertaining) account of what Japanese society is really like, I highly recommend www.gaijinsmash.net

I admit I used to be otaku, but after learning a serious amount of Japanese and visiting Japan for a fair chunk of time, I can safely say that I will not be returning to that mindset again.

GA Peach

Smash Lord
In all seriousness (which you may find to be rare from me), my trip to Japan has helped sober me up to what Japan's really like. Going there as a tourist, it's really hard to pick up on all the subtleties that people and society in general give off to foreigners (example: if you are white/black/not asian and sit on the train, nobody will sit next to you, people will even get up from their seat if you sat next to them and move, not to another seat, but to a DIFFERENT CAR ENTIRELY - this happened to me almost every day). If you go there as a study abroad student or go into the workforce there in some shape or form, you will quickly realize that beneath the surface lurks something very dark.

For a much more eloquent (and entertaining) account of what Japanese society is really like, I highly recommend www.gaijinsmash.net

I admit I used to be otaku, but after learning a serious amount of Japanese and visiting Japan for a fair chunk of time, I can safely say that I will not be returning to that mindset again.
elliot basically learned what it's like to be black in this country. i'm glad you experienced some of the struggle, my friend.

SleepyK

i can't help but thing that your location refers to you, marty.

tubes

Smash Ace
**** Japan. For every one thing I enjoy that's come from that country 3 **** horrible, sad, confusing, and just plain wrong things accompany it. Lucky star gasoline for instance. WHY DOES IT EXIST!? AND WHY DOES IT SELL!?

and to keep on topic: Sushi sux, eat a real food scrubs.

Nihongo-ookami

Smash Journeyman
I love how this turned from Sushi Night discussion to "Let's bash Japan and all those who happen to have an interest in the culture."

Anybody happen to have been to that Hanabi Sushi place near Waba? If so, is it any good?

ama(m/t)

Smash Lord
tbqh you personify everything everyone's ever wanted to avoid in a fan of japan

SleepyK

you kind of did hit the high points there, yiff.
and it's not bash people who like japan
it's bash the wapanese

Nihongo-ookami

Smash Journeyman
Beside the point...

am I bashing sleepy for liking Norse culture?

No. Hell, I like norse culture, too.
(stopping before I get off-topic)

What I'm saying is, don't bash me for happening to like Japan over America. Hell, I prefer much anything else over America. I'm not even from here, I'm Irish. But, I digress, I just happen to really like Japan. Otaku, Weeaboo, Wapanese, whatever.

Nothing wrong, with it? And if so, then what is wrong with it?

[[Also, someone tell me what the whole "Steak" fad is...I'm kinda lost on that...]]

SleepyK

once again, yiff, am i going around telling people that i'd rather be nordic?
do i try to learn Scandinavian to fuel a desire to be more like the people there?
do i constantly keep up with scandinavian culture, listen to scandinavian music, watch scandinavian tv shows/cartoons, and idolize scandinavians over other countrymen because i want to be norse?

Nihongo-ookami

Smash Journeyman
No...but still. Pointless bashing of people like me, who like Japan to the point that they would rather BE Japanese, is not what this topic is about. Topic is about Sushi.

So let's just leave it at:

I like Japan.
You don't like Weeaboos/Otakus/Wapanese.
Sushi is awesome.

agree'd?

ama(m/t)

Smash Lord
wanting to be japanese automatically precludes you from the "knowing a thing about japan" group just FYI

SleepyK

this is not a serious topic and it's in social boards

this is a social discussion.

if i'm hurting your feelers i'll stop, but otherwise i don't see any reason to discontinue

Nihongo-ookami

Smash Journeyman
No, feelings aren't hurt. In fact, I'm actually rather difficult to really offend... I just think that this is the wrong place for this discussion.

But yeah, this is a social thread, that's a good point.

But I'd like a Sushi thread to stay about Sushi, XD.

However, all I'm saying is it's pointless to bash me for wanting to be Japanese.

Tell me, Sleepy, what is the point that you're trying to get across? I know you don't try to be Scandinavian, nor do you dye your hair blond and lead viking raids, but what is it that you're trying to prove?

((P.S. Japan doesn't have Obama.))

ama(m/t)

Smash Lord
he is trying to explain to you why there is a lot of bashing of people like you
it seems you don't understand

Nihongo-ookami

Smash Journeyman
it also can be annoying for people who either
1. actually know about the culture
2. don't like dumb kids
to have to see someone going JAPAN JAPAN GLORIOUS JAPAN for entirely superficial reasons

this is what you look like:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XP5lz2CYNR4
I am currently studying the culture so that I may ACTUALLY KNOW about the culture.

I'm not just, "I love manga! and Anime! DDR!" no. I actually have a genuine interest in the culture and history of Japan. I'm not just some Hyped-up Otaku. I like Japan for more reasons than just Anime and Food.

[[but I do like Anime, don't get me wrong...]]

And I hate dumb kids, too.

ama(m/t)

Smash Lord
i know you're not that interested in convincing me otherwise, but i'm a CS major at georgia tech .
i see tons of people like you .. so saying that you're 'currently studying' the culture and that you're not a 'hyped up otaku' doesn't mean much to me

soz

CS/JAPAN DREAM COURSE LIST

Nihongo-ookami

Smash Journeyman
Odds are that most of those guys ARE Hyped-up Otakus.

At least I'm trying, unlike the guys in the Sakura-con Commercial.

Alright...time to go earn $15 for that lock-in...

ama(m/t)

Smash Lord
you know those people you're disparaging i previously described as saying they they are studying the culture as well

Nihongo-ookami

Smash Journeyman
No, they're studying the Otaku sub-culture of Japan, which used to be exclusive to most. Now it's pretty much mainstream. Thanks to their type, the first thing that anyone thinks of when they hear the word Japan is Anime, Manga, Godzilla, and Sushi. They're not studying Japan in general.

Have they entered essay contests on Japanese Culture? have they won?
Have they Gone out and bought a huge book on the history of Japan?
Just how much Japanese do you think they know?

Granted, I don't know much Japanese either, save for the phrases my friend has taught me. We're working on the Grammar now.

SleepyK

yeah, and tbh there isn't much to learn about japanese culture other than ancient history and current customs. going any further than that is really just trying to learn how to be japanese which applies to jhomotry

...yiff it's like you're doing our arguments for us.

ama(m/t)

Smash Lord
ama(m/t) said:
you know those people you're disparaging i previously described as saying they they are studying the culture as well
have you won an essay on japanese culture actualy

Nihongo-ookami

Smash Journeyman
...I came second...our school was doing it. They said, "Do an essay on the culture of another place. But not the USA." That's pretty much what it was. I did Japan. The First-place winner was some british guy who moved here.

Top Bottom