• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Gavel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sargent_Peach

Smash Journeyman
I know this was brought up before, but I thought I would do it again. As I'm sure you are all aware, writers, broomers, etc have special icons that go with their profile, along with their name color change. I think that we (debaters) should have one too. The writers have a quill, so why can't we have a gavel, or something like that. I think it would usher in the "new" debate hall that CK and EE have created. It would represent the intelligence that "us" debaters have come to symbolize.

I'm not really sure who would have the power to put this into effect, or even if you guys want it. Actually, I'm not even sure if this is possible at all. I just wanted to see how you guys felt, and I thought this was the best way to go about it. I think we deserve to have our hall become more recognized. It might help spark some curiosity for the hall, and get us some more members. Some people choose not to use the pink name because they are mods, or smash directors, and there isn't an easy way to recognize debaters, unless they have the pink names.

So, tell me what you think, and can someone (CK)? let us know if this is even possible.

McCloud

je suis l'agent du chaos.
"So foul and f-air a day I have not seen.&quo
PRIZES:
1st Place -- Custom Title, Custom Avatar, New Member Group ID (Smash Writer), WWYP Icon below name, Judging/prompt rights in the next contest
2nd Place -- Custom Title, New Member Group ID (Smash Writer), WWYP Icon below name
3rd Place -- New Member Group ID (Smash Writer), WWYP Icon below name

We need to actually finish a contest before we award gavels. :)

Sargent_Peach

Smash Journeyman
The debates also require two people to participate at the same time, unlike WWYP. This caused a lot of problems in DWYP because of the different time schedules and the fact that it only lasted one week.

D

Deleted member

Why is it so hard to just have a tiny little picture under your name, noting that you're a debater?

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
ew, not a gavel. We're not judges so it doesn't make sense...how about a scale of justice?

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
There's a reason the gays design the latest fashions you know, we're so trendy!

cF=)

Smash Lord
Aren't you trendy when you follow a trend, and original when you create new trends ?

Anyway, fabulous!!! <3

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Ok, there is no reason to add a gavel and the scales are out because that's what we used for the god forsaken rep system. I really don't want people thinking we added that non-sense back.

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
But...

if people just hover over the scale it would say like 'Crimson King is a Masterdebater' or something of the sort.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Lol at masterdebater

On topic, i don't care either way about if we get something under our names, but if so maybe just like a brain?

Skywalker

Space Jump
A title that breaks the "Smash" mould maybe? Very few of our debates involve Smash Bros., so it seems dumb to have a title revolving around it.

Other hard-to-reach rooms such as the Smash BRoom do not solely thrive on intelligence, wit, and debate (for lack of a better word); yet their members gain titles that convey excellence. Smash Awesome, Smash Elitist. Many of us worked hard to gain access to the Debate Hall and maintain our membership. Don't we deserve more recognition?

"Debating Excellence"
"Not everyone debates"
"Intelligence HQ"
I got a cheap laugh out of "Master Debater".

Hooray for more self-esteem. Frankly I could use a boost.

lonejedi

W.I.T.T.Y
BRoomer
Ok, there is no reason to add a gavel and the scales are out because that's what we used for the god forsaken rep system. I really don't want people thinking we added that non-sense back.
Just as much as the grimer is for the Broom or the 1-up shroom is for members, we need something to represent us. Here's why:

1. Easy Advertisement- Most everyone here knows what the grimer means, or what the writers pen refers to. It also lets everyone know about these specific rooms. Everyone and their mom wants to be in the Back Room. If we could get some sort of symbol linking to the Debate Hall, people are going to check us out. I know people s ee the debate hall, but symbol will add a bit more traffic.

2- Jump-the-Bandwagon, Everyone wants it mentality- I know when I became a Broomer, I had a sense of pride, because I had that grimer symbol in my name. I knew people could publicly view my coolness. (Yah I was a bit over my head at the time) But when people see this, they are going to want one, which means, they are going to try to get in the hall, which means we are going to be more active. Of course there will be those who fail, but this will boost our new applications.

They both go together, but I really think this would be a great idea. I also like the idea of the brain. Other ideas could be a newspaper, a microphone, or personally maybe a Platform. You know, the ones presidents use to keep their notes on during national debates. But we need something that will attract members.

Skywalker

Space Jump
Why is it so hard to just have a tiny little picture under your name, noting that you're a debater?
ew, not a gavel. We're not judges so it doesn't make sense...how about a scale of justice?
Aren't you trendy when you follow a trend, and original when you create new trends ?

Anyway, fabulous!!! <3
Lol at masterdebater

On topic, i don't care either way about if we get something under our names, but if so maybe just like a brain?
Just as much as the grimer is for the Broom or the 1-up shroom is for members, we need something to represent us. Here's why:

1. Easy Advertisement
2- Jump-the-Bandwagon
That seems like enough support for a change.

Eric, can you let us vote on the icon or something?

Gamer4Fire

PyroGamer
BRoomer
Ooh, a small icon to denote who we are would certainly be nifty. Perhaps two people talking or some other icon that can be associated with debating. It can't possibly be that hard to implement.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
I know I like the idea, mainly so I can get-em-all. :p

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Well, then, let's get some type of consensus on what we want to use.

My thing with it is, the DH isn't a special group. The admissions process is not hard or meant to keep everyone out, but meant to deter spammers, trolls, and people who are just too lazy. For example, if I weren't mod, I probably would fail the admissions process due to laziness. However, I am all for it regardless. I just need a united idea.

Sargent_Peach

Smash Journeyman
CK, don't be so modest. We ALL know that you would not fail the admissions process.

So we need to decide on something, some icon that can represent what we have come to symbolize.

Two people arguing and scale

Gavel

By sargent_peach at 2007-07-11

Brain
[/URL]

Plain scale
[/URL]

These are just some ideas, and if you find one you like feel free to post it. I think we should vote on it, just post what you think.

Personally, I think all of them are nice. I would be happy with any, but If I had to choose, I guess I would go with the brain, simply because it is easily identified.

Actually, I really don't care which we use, It doesn't have to be any of the ones I put up. What do you guys think?

lonejedi

W.I.T.T.Y
BRoomer
I found these on google, and shrunk them down a bit.

I personally think those other ones are a bit blah.... these are fitted for size.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
My thing with it is, the DH isn't a special group. The admissions process is not hard or meant to keep everyone out, but meant to deter spammers, trolls, and people who are just too lazy.
Maybe have the icon as a reward/prize/whatever for Debate WYP, like the Quill is for Write WYP (Or for Brawl Bloggers :p ) That way it's not just every Tom, **** and Commonyoshi (No offence meant :)) getting acess here so they can get the thing and vanish.

Skywalker

Space Jump
Hah, Mic, you surprised me there for a second with the quill. For a second I was like, "He won WWYP?!"

That way it's not just every Tom, **** and Commonyoshi (No offence meant ) getting acess here so they can get the thing and vanish.
I believe that Eric purges the Debate Hall of inactive members every month.

As for the icon, I thought of this:

On SWF: http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k227/Donutt101/coolestthingever.png

I kind of like it.

Gamer4Fire

PyroGamer
BRoomer
I like the brain icon idea. It gets the point across of us being superior to them in our mental capacity without seeming too pretentious (Along the lines of you could be one of us too).

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
I like the idea of the brain, but I think that icon looks terrible

Skywalker

Space Jump
I spent fifteen minutes of my precious lifespan cropping and resizing that work of art.

If you happen to find a better icon, I'd love to see it. =)

Sargent_Peach

Smash Journeyman
We need to get this thing going, if we really want it to happen.

More debaters need to post their opinions about the idea so CK and EE can act on it.

Lets get the ball rolling guys.

McCloud

je suis l'agent du chaos.
&quot;So foul and f-air a day I have not seen.&quo
Well, since this is the Debate Hall... we need a proper debate. I am willing to start the argument with some quotes from well known people in the philosophical/political realm.

"God is Brains." ~Zombie Nietzche

"All warfare is based on brains." Sun Tzu

Pinky: Gee, Brain, what are we going to do tonight?

Brain: The same thing we do every night, try to take over the world!

The defense rests.

Skywalker

Space Jump
*12 hour bump*

Could a moderator sticky and change the title? When I had clicked on this thread, I assumed that this would all be about the US Court System. >.<

My support is for any brain icon, just for the record.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Just posting here because i don't want to make a thread for it, I may be inactive in debate hall for a week or two because of personal issues.. just for the heads up

I am down for a thing under our name though

Take care alll

Blackadder

Smash Master
*12 hour bump*

Could a moderator sticky and change the title? When I had clicked on this thread, I assumed that this would all be about the US Court System. >.<

My support is for any brain icon, just for the record.
I think an icon would be pretty neat, I must say, when I first came on SWF I noticed the "Supa debatingz pple have teh nothingz!".
I think a brain would be great, myself.
I'm all up for the idea of a little icon that shows who we are (Even if I'm VERY new, I would still like to have one), all up.

Skylink

Smash Lord
A house made of brick, wood, and plaster (I think)
I like this Idea. I doubt anyone will want to get in, get the icon and get out, because even if anyone can focus themselves to spell their words well and think when the're in here, people who try it out for a week will probably enjoy it. (at least a little if they are any good) People looking to ask more honest, serious questions will be able to, because more people will have "brains." Even if most people come in and out of the hall for the icon, it will encourage the community to join anyway, so debating isn't limited to the same people over and over.

as for the icon, the brain that was posted looks good to me. I'm fine with a scale or something as well, though.

Skywalker

Space Jump
We could get an Artwork Emporium'ist to make the icon for us, and Eric/EE could admit him into the Debate Hall.

@ Skylink: Which brain?

Blackadder

Smash Master
The small one against the black background. It would look great over the Revolution skin.

I don't really mind what the icon is, though. Any kind of debate hall icon wold be really nice to have.
I have reolution too. :p
I honestly don't mind what we get, but I'm thinkin' a brain would be the best.
Has anyone brought this up with any admins?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom