• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Frostbite 2018 discussion thread

D

Deleted member

Because :foxmelee: is actually fun to watch and fight unlike:4bayonetta:. You can actually edgeguard/combo Fox and he has a Meh Disadvantge. Yes Bayo is combo food but has no Disadvantge, Can't play proactive vs her because WT and the Best recovery in the game
I think he is joking though. :laugh:
Tweek vs Salem Bayonetta dittos. Is this an indication of how the 2018 metagame will shape up, I wonder? Will Salem stick to Bayonetta or switch to Greninja?
Salem is not going to switch to Greninja at all, especially against a player like Tweek and it being a large event.

Minordeth

Smash Ace
Tweek vs Salem Bayonetta dittos. Is this an indication of how the 2018 metagame will shape up, I wonder? Will Salem stick to Bayonetta or switch to Greninja?
I doubt Salem has worked on the Rosa MU as Greninja, or would know what to do if he pulled Gren out. It’s a nice MU for Greninja, but requires some reading.

Ordeaux26

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ordeaux
Because :foxmelee: is actually fun to watch and fight unlike:4bayonetta:. You can actually edgeguard/combo Fox and he has a Meh Disadvantge. Yes Bayo is combo food but has no Disadvantge, Can't play proactive vs her because WT and the Best recovery in the game
The Still Doesn't Change the Fact That Melee Fox Is Far More Oversentrlizing And Bayonetta Has Many More Weaknesses I Also Hate how Whenever Someone Brings Up This Point People Just Deflect It With Another Point Instead Of Actually Addressing That Point

Last edited:

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
I doubt Salem has worked on the Rosa MU as Greninja, or would know what to do if he pulled Gren out. It’s a nice MU for Greninja, but requires some reading.
Tweek doesn't play Rosa though.

Are Fox Dittos Going To Kill The Melee Scene
https://clips.twitch.tv/PlacidSpookyGoblinSMOrc

tl;dw: Fox is fun to play against and fits within Melee's mechanics. Bayonetta is not fun to play against and doesn't fit within Smash 4's mechanics. According to ZeRo, anyway.

Salem is not going to switch to Greninja at all, especially against a player like Tweek and it being a large event.
Maybe he should have, Tweek just won 3-1.

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
This is a repost. This tournament is good, and that Smash Masters reveal!)
(See my comments on page 1 of this thread for Pools, Top 192, and Top 48.) (This comment will be repeatedly updated as top 8 proceeds.)
Top 8 (Frostbite 2018)

Winners Semi-Finals:

Fatality:4falcon: vs Mistake:4bayonetta2: 0-3
Dabuz:rosalina: vs Tweek:4cloud2::4bayonetta: 3-2

Winners Finals:

Mistake:4bayonetta2: vs Dabuz:rosalina: 1-3

Losers Round 1 (Out at 7th):

Salem:4bayonetta: vs komorikiri:4cloud2::4sonic::4feroy: 3-0
Cosmos:4corrinf: vs Mr. R:4sheik: 2-3

Losers Quarter-Finals (Out at 5th):

Fatality:4falcon: vs Salem:4bayonetta: 1-3
Tweek:4cloud2::4bayonetta: vs Mr. R:4sheik: 3-1

Losers Semi-Finals (Out at 4th):

Tweek:4cloud2::4bayonetta: vs Salem:4bayonetta: 3-1

Losers Finals (Out at 3rd):

Mistake:4bayonetta2: vs Tweek:4cloud2::4bayonetta: 0-3

Grand Finals:

Dabuz:rosalina: vs Tweek:4cloud2::4bayonetta: (Set 1) 3-1
Dabuz:rosalina: vs Tweek:4cloud2::4bayonetta: (Set 2) ----

Last edited:

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
Tweek :4bayonetta: 3-1 Salem :4bayonetta:
I have to say, Tweek actually makes a solid Bayonetta. Kid knows how to punish off ledge from his Cloud training I am sure.
Top Eight:
https://smash.gg/tournament/frostbite-2018/events/wii-u-singles/brackets/202722/498738
If Mistake beats Tweek in Losers Finals, than Dabuz is almost guaranteed winning Frostbite 2018.
Tweek's Bayo is actually cleeeaaaannn.
tl;dw: Fox is fun to play against and fits within Melee's mechanics. Bayonetta is not fun to play against and doesn't fit within Smash 4's mechanics. According to ZeRo, anyway.
People mostly focuses on playstyle and the game's mechanics, rather than the actual technicalities of the character, especially in comparison to the rest of the cast. Fox has a difficult disadvantage, but has a good defensive game thanks to Shine, lasers, and a long distance recovery, while having a busted offense. The main reasons why people pick on Bayo in comparison to Fox, is because Fox requires high amounts of skill and nimble fingers to play, in addition on being fun to watch. He is already dominant, and is theorized to be nearly unstoppable (aka 20XX).

D

Deleted member

Tweek :4bayonetta: 3-0 Mistake :4bayonetta2:
Tweek ate Mistake alive, oh my goodness.
Now for the final round of Frostbite 2018:
Tweek vs Dabuz
One of the best Clouds and Bayonettas versus the best Rosalina with the best anti-air out of everyone else.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ordeaux26

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ordeaux
The Still Doesn't Change the Fact That Melee Fox Is Far More Oversentrlizing And Bayonetta Has Many More Weaknesses I Also Hate how Whenever Someone Brings Up This Point People Just Deflect It With Another Point Instead Of Actually Addressing That Point
The Fact That No One Had Responded To This Proves My Point

D

Deleted member

Tweek is most likely going Bayonetta against Rosalina instead of Cloud which is saying something big. Mistake preformed really well actually, but he did get eaten alive by Tweek.
:facepalm:

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
You Don't Need To Capitalize Everything, You're Not A News Article

And to answer your question, there's less characters in Melee than smash 4 and at least half of the melee characters suck, so it makes sense that people would gravitate towards Fox. But, there's more viable characters in smash 4 than there is Melee's entire cast and Bayo's still centralizing, what's her excuse?

Also Fox has more weaknesses than Bayo for sure, he's easy to combo while Bayo gets out for free with bats within a lot of the time, and he's pretty easy to edgehog or gimp while Bayo makes it back to the stage for free every time.

D

Deleted member

Dabuz :rosalina: 3-1 Tweek :4cloud2::4bayonetta:
Dabuz won Frostbite 2018!!!

I felt like Dabuz was very good at shielding Cloud's moves and punishing Cloud to kill him. Dabuz's anti air game was on point as well.

Ordeaux26

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ordeaux
You Don't Need To Capitalize Everything, You're Not A News Article

And to answer your question, there's less characters in Melee than smash 4 and at least half of the melee characters suck, so it makes sense that people would gravitate towards Fox. But, there's more viable characters in smash 4 than there is Melee's entire cast and Bayo's still centralizing, what's her excuse?

Also Fox has more weaknesses than Bayo for sure, he's easy to combo while Bayo gets out for free with bats within a lot of the time, and he's pretty easy to edgehog or gimp while Bayo makes it back to the stage for free every time.
I Wouldnt Call 3 Top 8 Bayonetta's Oversentrlizing It's Actually Very Rare For Even 2 Bayonetta's To Make It To Top 8 And Melee Fox May Have More Weaknesses But He Has Far More Strengths

Last edited:

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
I Wouldnt Call 3 Top 8 Bayonetta's Oversentrlizing It's Actually Very Rare For Even 2 Bayonetta's To Make It To Top 8 And Melee Fox May Have More Weaknesses But He Has Far More Strengths
Furthermore, Fox's strengths is able is "cover" up his own weaknesses.

MercuryPenny

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MemorialDime
i wonder when the community will stop gleefully driving knives down its wrists

Minordeth

Smash Ace
Welp, Dabuz.

Stayed in Winners. Lost 8 games the entire tournament. The only person to take more than one game off him in a set in top 48 was Tweek. And Tweek only managed to do that one time.

Stayed Rosa the whole time.

Welp.

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
Wasn't watching, but this tournament sounds like basically Genesis 5 again but with the added bonus of other top players picking up Bayonetta and winning, and Dabuz was the one destroying everyone including the bayos instead of MKLeo

I have the feeling this will only keep getting worse and worse until Bayo is banned. I don't think she's quite overpowered enough yet to deserve a ban for that reason, but she's getting better, and the community is getting worse and worse with her. Not gonna constantly complain "WAAAAAAAAAAAAA BAYO IS BROKEN BAN HER WAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" But I just want to mention that I don't see Bayonetta surviving the whole year. And if she does, it might be the community that dies.

Minordeth

Smash Ace
Wasn't watching, but this tournament sounds like basically Genesis 5 again but with the added bonus of other top players picking up Bayonetta and winning, and Dabuz was the one destroying everyone including the bayos instead of MKLeo

I have the feeling this will only keep getting worse and worse until Bayo is banned. I don't think she's quite overpowered enough yet to deserve a ban for that reason, but she's getting better, and the community is getting worse and worse with her. Not gonna constantly complain "WAAAAAAAAAAAAA BAYO IS BROKEN BAN HER WAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" But I just want to mention that I don't see Bayonetta surviving the whole year. And if she does, it might be the community that dies.

?

What top player picked up Bayo this tournament to win with her?

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
Welp, Dabuz.

Stayed in Winners. Lost 8 games the entire tournament. The only person to take more than one game off him in a set in top 48 was Tweek. And Tweek only managed to do that one time.

Stayed Rosa the whole time.

Welp.
Obviously not comparable in the character department, but wasn't MKLeo's run at Genesis similarly dominant? I think he only lost three games total (two to Dabuz and one to Mistake)/

Top Bottom