• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The First Tourney Thread

Supersteve45

Smash Rookie
A thread made to talk about first tournament experiences. My first tourney went well. I know "no johns" but I lost on a really laggy TV which put me into losers where I beat a pretty salty link player however I lost in losers finals :crying:

Last edited:

metalmonstar

Smash Lord
My first tournament was a Christmas party at Chudat's. When we got there M2K was sleeping under a bunch of blankets. We played some friendlies with chinesah. The place quickly got packed. We ended up going 2 and out and leaving. We didn't even participate in the gift exchange as it happened much too late.

The first tournament I held was about 4 people. It was just me and some friends playing at the church.

necroTaxonomist

Smash Apprentice
<anecdote>
I went to a local tourbament with same friends and we all got rekt. When we were playing friendlies there was this one dude who was about to walk across in front of our TV, but then he stopped and he said "Yo, this a tournament game?" We said "Uh...no" and then he just walked in front of us. So it is now our collective tradition to say "Yo, this a tournament game?" before walking in front of anyone else's game. Even if not in a tournament.
</anecdote>

Last edited:

Carl the Oatswag

Smash Cadet
My first tourney was hosted by the robotics club at school and was held using 1 gamecube and a projector. Most people were just fooling around and there were way too many Marths (me included.) I got 8th place out of about 40 kids from the school. Most of the people were from the tsa and robotics team and it was really more like a bunch of friendlies.

Lastpo

Smash Rookie
Drove about 3 hours to a local weekly with my friend. Only one other person showed up so we played friendlies for a while. I 4 stocked his Gannondorf with Marth in the first two games we played, then felt bad and switched to Bowser.

Fast forward a few weeks. Drive to another tournament at a different location with 12 or so entrants and an actual bracket. I was way too confident after my last experience and promptly got 1 stocked in four straight games to get knocked out.

Still tons of fun.

Top Bottom