• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The First Toukai Tournament for Super Smash Bros. 64 Has Been Announced!

The Super Smash Bros. 64 scene in Japan is planning their biggest tournament ever later on this year by Toukai Smash.

The Super Smash Bros. 64 scene in Japan is a small niche community compared to the Super Smash Bros. Wii U scene. But thanks to Toukai Smash, a Japanese tournament organization, Japan is having its biggest Smash 64 tournament ever, alongside a ¥200,000 ($2,000) prize pool from sponsors. Usually the Smash 64 scene records their matches, but as a rare occasion, this tournament will have a stream so viewers can tune in and spectate.

Some goals that Toukai has set as far as this tournament goes is to determine who is the best 64 player, establish connections between players/spectators and help grow the Smash 64 scene all at the same time. The tournament will set for December 24th and 25th with the venue being in the Nagoya area (details of the definite location have not been announced yet TBD). They implore players/spectators to bring equipment such as a complete setup in order to receive their discount or some other incentive for doing so.

If you want more information about the tournament and its original post, click here. For more updates on Japan's Biggest Smash 64 tournament, stay tuned to SmashBoards.

Josh Olalde

Comments

As much as I'd like to believe the smash64 scene is "growing", it really seems to be overall stagnated compared to other smash games and it's former popularity. There was once a time (2003-2008) when smash64 reigned supreme in the ease of access to play many players at any given time thanks to netplay. Since brawl came out the smash64 online community died ever so slowly. With isai becoming "old" the games competitive scene has all but died. Sure you can say "oh this guy and this guy are good" but nobody compares to how good Isai used to be.

The online aspect of things is depressing at this point. With very few players to play, there is a handful who are experienced enough to play decently. The game it's self has created it's own community which mostly was regarded as a troll scene. To see the game migrate to mainly console players and small local scenes just seems like a huge step back. Maybe smash64 will become popular again, who knows. I just hope someday it becomes a serious enough game somewhere that a true isai is born.

What I mean by that is, Isai in the ssb64 community was basically equal to Cyrus the Great, who was the first Persian king and would free the slaves of countries he conquered, he also established freedom of religion and wrote some of the first human rights documents which to this day are still referenced. SSB64 has a lot of potential but it's at an extremely high level compared to other smash games including melee.

It's not something that would send you to the doctor after wavedashing with awkward controller grip, it's the type of game that would become mentally destructive and possibly lead you down a path of despair. (Some of the things that have gone on in this community are extremely dark, such as suicide attempts over lack of skill)

I remember being 7 years old and believing Link and I were an unstoppable force at Smash. Beating all my friends. Quite possibly my first instance of competitive pride. Luckily i never found out what true skill was until I was much older. Looking back, never would I have imagined 17 years later I would still be just as enthralled by this series. I'm truly glad there are players out there refusing to let one of the best facets of my childhood perish.

Top Bottom