• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official The first annual Sheik boards yearly overview - premium awards

_Tree

The no-more hero
NNID
DekuBaba
3DS FC
1891-1276-1936
Well, what a year for Sheik players. We play a busted-arse character and damn is it fun. Of course, we weren’t always on top. At the beginning of the year, Diddy was the dominant force in our metagame. You couldn’t walk two meters at the Apex venue without tripping on a carelessly discarded Banana peel. Diddy kong’s Hoo Hah-ing antics were quashed in patch 1.0.6 however, leading to Sheik’s unchallenged rise to the top of the tier list.

Sheik did suffer a few nerfs herself though. We saw a large nerf to her B-air, while also having the damage on various tilts and aerials lowered. In all honesty, these changes were completely fair (hehe), leaving Sheik weaker but still keeping the character intact.

We saw ZeRo, the undisputed GOAT (so far) of Smash 4, pick up our favorite Hylian Ninja, bringing with him a somewhat safe yet precise style. Mr. R and Vinnie continued their Sheik favour, pushing the character further with each tournament.

That’s not to say the boards had no influence at all. Many a nuance on the character was found, opening doors to what we could do with Sheik as players:

D-tilt to U-air - January: At the very beginning of the year we saw some great D-tilt to U-air information from Virgman, giving everyone a better understanding of Sheik’s kill options.

Instant needle cancelling – May: Quite possibly the most interesting discovery of the year, instant needle cancelling created more outlets for crazy options to apply in match. Being able to go immediately from a dash into a normal is a huge boon for our character, even if its damn hard to pull off. All the props in the world to Tronfox64 for his discovery and thread.

C-bouncing – July: A dash-equivalent to perfect pivoting, C-bouncing allowed us spacing potential like nothing seen in the game before. Wavedash-esque in its potential applications, Tronfox64, Wasserwipf, YGK, Jaxas and Wondrous Moose are owed a lot for their work on this.

Her Majesty series – July, August: Bam’s Sheik series helped with taking steps towards a more optimised Sheik game, with info on Perfect Pivot and Void combos. This stuff is where I feel Sheik will be heading in the future.

With all this great research, I think it’d be good to hand out a few small accolades in line with the Christmas spirit. I’ll be handing out premiums to those I feel have done the best for the Sheik boards this year. This isn’t a Sheik council decision or anything, just my thoughts. If Smashboards had cooler stuff to gift beyond premium, I would, but unfortunately this is it for now.

tronfox64 tronfox64 : While not as active as other members, there’s no denying the impact that Tronfox’s initial discovery of INC had on the general Sheik game. It also helped that the write up was well written too. Have a premium.

@fyazko : While still a filthy Lucas co-main, Fyazko’s Sheik content has been of a really high standard and helpful in its presentation. It’s also helpful to have another Sheik content creator when I’m too busy being a lazy scrub.

Simikins Simikins : A bit of a recent emergent. Been helpful with moderation stuff (perhaps a bit too helpful), and his threads on D-air to footstool and shieldbreak combos are really great stuff. Hopefully there’s more to come.

Absol Absol : Now now, before you say I’m biased, Absol has been a top contributor on these boards, with perhaps the most lifetime contributions for Smash 4 Sheik. Enjoy your premium scrublord.

ArikadoSD ArikadoSD : Ari has been a great general contributor on everything concerning Sheik, being able to speak on nearly every matter, with results to back him up. If you ask Ari about something, I guarantee you’re chances of good info will be much better than 50/50.

Joaco Joaco : The Match-up warden, also helping run the Q&A thread. I sure as hell wouldn’t want to run the MU thread, so good job for keeping it afloat (even if your punctuality is spotty).

WondrousMoose WondrousMoose : When Joaco is out of the building, Moose takes over with the MU threads. Also posts various threads around, as well as adding stuff to the Sheikah catalog. Generally a pretty useful guy.

To the last three that already have Premium, let me know when its gonna run out and I’ll buy you a year’s worth.

Of course, we can’t forget all the marvellous and astounding work that the Sheik boards’ very own moderator has done, on top of being dashingly handsome, enchantingly charismatic and full of wit and humour. You guys can thank me later.

And a final message to everyone that contributes here and simply is part of the community. Things might start to slow down now as we come to fully dissect everything in the game, but our community is what makes it fun.
I hope to see everyone pulling off some perfect pivot combos in 2016.

HoSmash4

Smash Ace
ArikadoSD ArikadoSD : Ari has been a great general contributor on everything concerning Sheik, being able to speak on nearly every matter, with results to back him up. If you ask Ari about something, I guarantee you’re chances of good info will be much better than 50/50.
/QUOTE]
Kek
Anyways although I dont participate on the sheik forums/chat a lot anymore, this board and the chat helped me a lot in the my first few months since picking up sheik and competetive smash in late July. Thanks to everyone who has a made a guide or a video or helped me out and the community in general :-)

Last edited:

Simikins

Nerfed
3DS FC
0447-8060-8710
Wow, being a mini-mod has benefits!!! Still learning tho lol.
And there is much more to come in the way of random, kinda semi useful sheikness.
I really appreciate this _Tree _Tree , just the fact that someone appreciates my stuff feels amazing :3
Merry christmas to you all.

WondrousMoose

Mind the antlers
NNID
WondrousMoose
3DS FC
3024-5909-8345
D'aw, thanks bro! Yeah, it's been a great year. I'm excited that we've made as much progress and as many discoveries as we have in the first year of playing this game. Here's to a long, long life for Smash 4 as the go-to competitive game for thousands around the world and to Sheik, its reigning queen.

Also, this is my 500th post.

tronfox64

Smash Cadet
Woooo awards! Honorable mention should probably go out to @TheReflexWonder too. He is always one step ahead with contributions and content from what I've seen (and also the guy who figured out the exact inputs to C-Bouncing, a tech that I use so frequently now that I cannot live without it). Also, we thank you _Tree _Tree every time we visit, for you are the Tree that supports us rapidly swaying branches... or something like that.

To another year of advancing good Zelda's meta!

Last edited:

Joaco

Triforce of Wisdom
NNID
JoacoRyu8
Thanks Deku Tree, I'll try to work harder for the Sheik boards next year! Also thanks to everyone that helps the Sheik borads be one of the best and most active character boards in Smashboards! We still have much work to do.
Also our mod has the best waifu tastes so we're already in the lead.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Awesome achievements this year with Sheik. Glad to be a part of this!
Thank you _Tree _Tree for making me actually want to get into content creation, didn't think it could be so fun and yet be the death of me.
Expect much more content with Sheik from me and can't wait for what 2016 brings for all of us.
Toast Sheikahs...

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
Moose gets my award for cutest/most amusing user imo, no homo

Top Bottom