• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Falco matchup.

LovinMitts

Smash Journeyman
One of my friends is a really fast, really technical Falco player. Is there anything in Ness' arsenal capable of countering Falco?

Scrubby

Smash Cadet
Ness has an incredible combo game on spacies in the form of his up throw and djc uair. Try to work around his moves and land a quick fair or nair to grab ou just a grab and punish hard. Just work that combo and gimping game. Nair is incredible to gimp btw.

LovinMitts

Smash Journeyman
Ness has an incredible combo game on spacies in the form of his up throw and djc uair. Try to work around his moves and land a quick fair or nair to grab ou just a grab and punish hard. Just work that combo and gimping game. Nair is incredible to gimp btw.
Will it hit through the phantasm? I don't want to do a rising nair and get meteored without a jump. That'd be a bit of a sticky situation.

Scrubby

Smash Cadet
you can actually hit the phantasm with a nair and not trade. Although if you don't feel confortable with it, you can fair to get him lower and force the flamebird, which is easier to nair or dair.

For the nair you just have to time it right. Practice makes perfect !

I think dair is actually safer than nair. Just put yourself a bit higher than falco and dair him.

You could also bait the phantasm and just grab the ledge and roll. Melee edgeguard still works.

Most of the times just grabbing the ledge works wonder against falco since he doesnt have many options.

Last edited:

Scrubby

Smash Cadet
After some testing I think your best option is to grab the ledge and force a flamebird, or just roll if he tries to phantasm. It's safe and kinda easy actually. You can punish if he tries the flame bird with nair bair or dair.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
nair beats phantasm, but phantasm has a VERY ANNOYING PROPERTY where there's a frame of invincibility. i'm not sure if it carried over from melee but i think it did.

even if u miss the phantasm, at least put yourself in a position to punish the landing lag on it.

Scrubby

Smash Cadet
nair beats phantasm, but phantasm has a VERY ANNOYING PROPERTY where there's a frame of invincibility. i'm not sure if it carried over from melee but i think it did.

even if u miss the phantasm, at least put yourself in a position to punish the landing lag on it.
Yeah the invicibility frame is still here, which means you can clash with it with nair, which happens a lot.
I think grabbing the ledge and forcing up-b makes it really easy to edgeguard since its laggy and we have plenty of moves to punish it.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
that's true, but grabbing the ledge does not necessarily force the up-b

falco can still retain his double jump and opt to do a phantasm to the middle of the stage, which generally cannot be punished from an edge hog

Scrubby

Smash Cadet
Thats our job to know what he has at the moment though. I was assuming falco was forced in phantasm or up-b here. What I like to do is predict the jump and hit nair right as he startup the phantasm. You must be really tight but it works well.

But yeah falco is hard to edgeguard if he still has his second jump. You gotta predict things.

Last edited:
Top Bottom