• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The End Of The World Is In 7 Minutes

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeHAZE

Smash Legend
bye guys :\

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24556999/

"The Large Hadron Collider in Switzerland could turn the world of physics on its head.

But what exactly is it and what will the biggest particle accelerator ever built do? Here are the answers to some of your questions:

What's the point of this experiment?
Scientists are trying to unlock the secrets and answer unresolved questions about the universe. There are fundamental gaps in our basic understanding of physics and how the universe works. The Large Hadron Collider (LHC) will recreate conditions just after the Big Bang (the theory that a massive explosion created the universe) and may help to fill in missing knowledge. Physicists hope the experiment will help them understand what the universe is made of, what propels its expansion and predict its future.

How does it work?
Inside the accelerator, two beams of particles will travel in opposite directions at close to the speed of light. Thousands of magnets of different varieties and sizes will direct the beams around the accelerator. Because the particles are so small, another type of magnet is used to squeeze them closer together to encourage them to collide.

Scientists hope previously unseen particles will be discovered in the debris when beams smash together. The new particles are expected to provide new leads for physicists and may confirm existing theories.

What is the Higgs particle?
The Higgs particle is a theoretical idea to explain mass in the universe but it has never been proved. The theory suggests particles had no mass just after the Big Bang. When the temperature fell, an invisible force field was formed. When particles interact with the field they become heavier. If scientists could identify the Higgs particle or field using the LHC, it would explain why some particles have a greater mass than others and would support the current understanding of how particles work.

What if they don't find anything?
They may find no new particles which would be a setback for scientists trying to secure funding for the next generation collider machine. If they cannot prove the existence of the Higgs particle, it would mean theories about matter and mass have been developing along the wrong track for decades. Many scientists might consider that an exciting prospect because they would have to start theorising from scratch.

Who is involved in this?
The new particle accelerator might be buried along the Swiss-French border but it has attracted researchers from 80 countries. The £2.4bn project has mostly been financed by 20 European member states but the US and Japan are major contributors with observer status. Ten thousand scientists from 500 different institutions have been involved in developing the LHC.

When can we expect the results?
It has already taken two decades to get this far and it will take another two months just to get the proton beams colliding. The data recorded will fill around 100,000 DVDs every year but physicists may have to wait between five and 10 years before they get any significant results.

What are the risks?
Sceptics have filed suits in the US District Court in Hawaii and the European Court of Human Rights to stop the project. They claim the experiment will create a big black hole which could suck up all life on Earth. Several safety reviews of the LHC have been carried out which show there is no measurable risk.

Will it create black holes?
Nature forms black holes when stars collapse on themselves at the end of their lives. There is some speculation that the LHC could produce microscopic black holes. If they were created, they would evaporate away very quickly and would be too small to suck in any matter. The accelerator may help scientists understand more about black holes.

What impact will this experiment have on everyday life?
The work carried out by scientists at the European Nuclear Research Centre might seem far removed from everyday life, but it does push the boundaries of existing technologies and engineering in a way that can be adapted to benefit us all. For example, earlier work led to the creation of the internet.

Scientists working on the LHC have also created the "grid" which is described as the next generation internet and is 10,000 times faster than most broadband connections.
"
Source

Interesting...
They created internet 10,000x faster! Wow. Wonder when that goes public.

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
double posting so my jtb quote gets seen

i need to stop using quick reply

(oh yeah we'd be alive for 50 more months nub)

mikeHAZE

Smash Legend
Johnyontheguitar: alright then man
Johnyontheguitar: Just wanna say that I love you bro
pulido MIKE: i can't tell if you're being sarcastic
Johnyontheguitar: LoL i totally am
pulido MIKE: oh

mikeHAZE

Smash Legend
nevermind. guess the mayan calendars right..

It's the Large Haron Collider (LHC) And they flip the switch September 10th.

Evans' ambitions have brought widespread concern among scientists who say the experiment could create a shower of unstable black holes inside the Earth, and subsequently bring destruction to the planet. "Nothing will happen for at least four years,"

said retired German Otto Rossler "Then someone will spot a light ray coming out of the Indian Ocean during the night and no one will be able to explain it."
so.......
if you COUNT
4 years from now 2012
when the mayan caledar ends

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
i really hope you're posting this as an elaborate bad joke and not because you believe for a second this is remotely true

pyroty

Smash Apprentice
nevermind. guess the mayan calendars right..

It's the Large Haron Collider (LHC) And they flip the switch September 10th.

Evans' ambitions have brought widespread concern among scientists who say the experiment could create a shower of unstable black holes inside the Earth, and subsequently bring destruction to the planet. "Nothing will happen for at least four years,"

said retired German Otto Rossler "Then someone will spot a light ray coming out of the Indian Ocean during the night and no one will be able to explain it."
so.......
if you COUNT
4 years from now 2012
when the mayan caledar ends
Wow, wonderful... XD
I knew about the LHC a long time ago and didn't really believe in all the crazy theories, which I still don't really, if it was that serious I don't think they'd be doing it, but either way the Mayan calendar thing is kind of creepy... o_o

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
Wow. Do you even know what I'm studying? You should have asked me before you made this retardedness. If I'm lucky I'll be working at the LHC in a few years.

The processes that will go on in the LHC happen in our atmosphere countless times every millisecond of every day. Cosmic rays with higher energies than we will probably EVER be able to produce in the laboratory have been colliding with particles in the atmosphere for billions of years. If such a process COULD generate a micro black hole or a strangelet, it would have happened already. Or better yet we would see its effects somewhere in the universe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom