• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The effects on your gameplay

Ryuker Reo

Smash Apprentice
The other day I bough a Zune (it's like an iPod but it was created by Microsoft) and I started to play while listening to some of my favorite tunes. I was suprised, I was playing a lot better than usual. That's the day I realized I'm much better when I'm listening to my favorite tunes.

When people start talking to me I play a lot worse, and when I'm hungry also.

I was thinking, what different things affect Smash players? Music? People talking? Sounds? Being hungry?
Does the music help you or does it make you play worse. Does it have no effect at all?

So, Smashers, what things have an effect on your gameplay?

Vall3y

Smash Lord
shouldnt listening to music while playing smash hurt your gampley?
i mean, music kinda occupies your brain so smash doesnt get wholle of ur attention
same goes for everything else... when people are talking with you, you also focus on replying and when you are hungry you think about food.

Ryuker Reo

Smash Apprentice
Well, it helps me. I seriously have no idea why, it just does. But it has to be one of my favorites. Music I don't like does hurt it.

Flamestar666

Smash Lord
listening to music removes one of your senses from the game, thus making your others slightly better... hahah not really

I would think that music keeps your mind active and upbeat

Joner

Smash Cadet
I would think that music keeps your mind active and upbeat
No suprise really. All games work that way.
I do prefer to have no music in the background when playing fighting games, but FPSes and MMORPGs and stuff like that, I just need music to play them good.

Pure of Heart

Smash Journeyman
Listening to my favorite music also helps me to play better, my friends even noticed that when I am listening to the music, I will attack in the beat of the music yeah i'm weird like that. XD

When i'm hungry or nervous or have something on my mind I tend to do a bit worse, or when i'm tired, but I think that effects everyone and not just me, lol, but I could be wrong.

A-Laon

Smash Master
I always seem to play better:

-When listening to music
-Having fallen behind in stocks (the more the merrier)
-Friends are watching / commenting
-The lights are off

Don't ask me why -- it just all helps me.

Respawn

Smash Journeyman
In the shadows. Or NE Ohio. Whichever sounds bette
For me, music only helps if the tempo is fitting. Something fast-paced for smash, like techno. For FPS stuff, it's hard-rock all the way. For RPG stuff, I just listen to the in-game music.

Things that help me:
  • Music (if appropriate)
  • Worthy opponent (the pressure really pushes me to excel)

Things that make it worse:

• My little sister (JK, although she does bug me a lot...)
  • People talking/arguing in the background
  • My ADD, sometimes it makes it hard to pay attention...

...Hey look, a chicken!

Aesir

Smash Master
what helps: not having personal issues bother you.

what doesn't help: your life **** slapping you in the face.

anyway seriously, music can help, cause at tournys you really can't hear the game anyway so theres no real point to say it hinders your hearing sense.

Ryuker Reo

Smash Apprentice
Another thing that helps me is when people start saying I can't win. Sometimes they're just joking, but it just pushes me to win, just so I can prove them wrong.

CWolf20

Smash Journeyman
Two things:

1. Nice Avatar, Ryuker. Now give it back.

2. I absolutely have to be sitting a certain way. It's the same thing with Halo. If I lean back in my chair, I will completely lose my ability to play. I play infinitely better if I take the first stock in the game. I play much better when I'm in the lead, and that's the way I am in any game/sport ever. If I'm losing, it's because I'm making mistakes, and that frustrates me, which in turn makes me play worse.

Basically, anything that distracts my mind from the game itself = me playing worse.

Lesheik

Smash Lord
The other day I bough a Zune (it's like an iPod but it was created by Microsoft) and I started to play while listening to some of my favorite tunes. I was suprised, I was playing a lot better than usual. That's the day I realized I'm much better when I'm listening to my favorite tunes.

When people start talking to me I play a lot worse, and when I'm hungry also.

I was thinking, what different things affect Smash players? Music? People talking? Sounds? Being hungry?
Does the music help you or does it make you play worse. Does it have no effect at all?

So, Smashers, what things have an effect on your gameplay?
Anything can affect your gameplay.. It's your brain's reaction to objects that change the way you play.. When I listen to music I'm a little bit better sometimes. In tournaments I'm better than how I play in friendlies.

When you're hungry you get affected a lot.

Top Bottom