• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The dreadful sour spot

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlMasterX

Smash Rookie
I've noticed that Roy still has that sour spot at the tip of his blade, definitely not as sour as melee's, but it's still relevant and so inconvenient. What are your findings and experiences with the whole concept as of now?

soru

#2 Best Palutena in Canada
I find some of his sourspots actually very useful. They mostly serve as combo/kill setups at high% such as landing uair sourspot > fsmash, etc.

AlMasterX

Smash Rookie
I find some of his sourspots actually very useful. They mostly serve as combo/kill setups at high% such as landing uair sourspot > fsmash, etc.
Oh yeah you're totally right on that one. It's just inconvenient landing sours at killing percentages

soru

#2 Best Palutena in Canada
Yeah, it is. However, getting familiar with his range will help you sourspot/sweetspot at will.

DiscoingGD

Smash Rookie
Forget the sourspot, I keep overestimating his sword range and whiffing attacks.

IWinToLose

Smash Apprentice
The sourspot definitely has its uses. Unlike Marth's sourthspot (his whole blade), there are actually pros to hitting with the sourspot for Roy.

ARKills

Smash Cadet
NNID
sl33py1
3DS FC
0404-5541-7941
I know sourspots U-air is useful at high percent for kill setups but I don't see any of his other sour spots being useful.

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
Sour spot back air will jab reset, sour spot nair is pretty safe on shield compared to other aerials due to the spacing.

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
Does sour spot fair lead into things with IASA frames at low-mid percents? I feel like it does, but I could just be playing against people that DI poorly or simply don't shield when they should.

SafCar

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0645-5834-8488
I think I remember hearing that Sour Fair knocks them sideways, like a pseudo Wall of Pain.

LEGOfan12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LEGOfan12
3DS FC
3007-8664-3561
I find some sour-spots to be useful for kill-setups. But that's mainly it, IMO.

proto3296

Smash Rookie
Forward throw and if they miss their tech sour spot fair into a regrab. It works at low percentages and is a nice mix up from d throw to mess up your opponents DI.

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
I find them all useful in the sense that a hit is usually better than nothing. The damage is worse, but it still adds up. I think that's common sense though.

Everyone above me suggested good uses.

Aside from that, I personally like d-tilt when my opponent's back is to the ledge. Even the sourspot provides some nice, quick shield pressure.

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
I find them all useful in the sense that a hit is usually better than nothing. The damage is worse, but it still adds up. I think that's common sense though.

Everyone above me suggested good uses.

Aside from that, I personally like d-tilt when my opponent's back is to the ledge. Even the sourspot provides some nice, quick shield pressure.
I forgot about tilts.

If I'm not mistaken, sour Utilt around low-mid percents puts the opponent into the position where they have to airdodge, jump, or get uair'd/shield grabbed, which is pretty cool. I also agree with Zatchiel (Hi btw c: ) that Dtilt works regardless of sweet/sour spot for getting people out of your face and as a poking move.

Last edited:

Gah777

Smash Lord
Sour spot DED 1 sets up for U-smash kills at high percent and grabs at low percent.

Windstar120025

Smash Apprentice
I believe the prolem is that his Sourspots are still killmoves at arroung 80% last time i checked Roy was a Base of sword character and unless that changed this game, im still getting killed from forwardsmash tips at halfstage FD plus an un-DI'd upsmash kills at 85%. Really im surprised that there so powerfull

Jrzfine

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jrzfinest
3DS FC
1762-3319-6557
I believe the prolem is that his Sourspots are still killmoves at arroung 80% last time i checked Roy was a Base of sword character and unless that changed this game, im still getting killed from forwardsmash tips at halfstage FD plus an un-DI'd upsmash kills at 85%. Really im surprised that there so powerfull
Roys sourspot Fsmash will send you nowhere. The sweetspot was buffed massively however, and now covers almost the entire sword for Fsmash.

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
Getting hit with the very tip of F-Smash does 11 damage and has very low hitstun and knockback, compared to hitting with the very base which does 20 damage and kills at like, freaking 60%.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
I really dig his new Fsmash animation. Slower than Marth's, but lunges him forward.

What about his jab's sourpsot? I've noticed the minor kb lifts some opponents off the ground, forcing the opponent to land and suffer landing animation

Guineapig126

Smash Journeyman
I've used D-Til's sourspot creatively. At mid/higher percents I've found you can use it to follow up into a dash attack and potentially kill the opponent/set them up for a gimp situation at the ledge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom