• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Donkey Kong Finder Thread (categorised and Updated)

El HP

Smash Ace
Yeah, but that was about a year ago. I beat his Ganon, but then he went Fox (or maybe Sheik, but I think it was Fox) and destroyed me.

I tend to play Ganon a bit differently now than I did then. But that's because this was before I knew any cargo uthrow combos. Now I think Ganon is almost a guaranteed win for me.

Anyway, I usually play pretty offensively against Ganon. You know he's going to use a lot of SHFFL'D f-airs, so use that to your advantage. I tend to play this backwards and SHFFL b-air into u-b or just continue into a Hurricane.

If I have my punch charged I will filp around and play about half/half, front and back. When I'm facing forward I SHFFL n-airs into u-b (If done well the u-b comes out so quickly, I've beat out Ganon's jab many times doing this.) then when I see I can get it, I'll SH the punch. I usually try to wait until he's attacking. Ganon's f-air is so slow, all three of these moves beat it out so I try to intercept him in the air. (All of these are done with horizontal movement if you couldn't guess.) Just be sure to watch for Ganon jumping backwards and f-airing you. That gets me all the time. If they start doing that, try to space your b-air so that it just misses on purpose. They'll go for this, then you can just follow with another b-air.

The f-tilt also has it's uses in this battle. If the Ganon tries to use his tilts this is a good counter for it, and if you angle it up you can hit him out of the air with it, interputing his f-air.

Anyway, Ganon is very easy to cargo combo. Once he gets to around 50%, unless you're in mid combo, just cargo uthrow into a f-air or super punch. I usually forget to do this, but during the cargo you can always set Ganon up to f-air him over the nearest edge. If he DIs back toward the stage just jump backwards with him. Ganon's poor recovery makes him easy to edge-guard so after this you should be able to get a kill almost every time.

Don't ever use the f-air unless you combo into it. Ganon will punish you for it. The keys to this are basically the cargo combos, of course, and being able to time his jumps so that you can intercept him mid-attack. U-b rocks Ganon's face off though. I use it more in this battle than probably any other. All his SHFFL'D f-airs put him in perfect position for sweetspotting it.

I use a similar strategy seems to do best against ganon I also use the down tilt to stop some of ganons moves..

pdk

Smash Lord
pdk - pittsburgh, pa

i like this thread, suits my short-and-contentless posting style perfectly ; )

N1N

Smash Cadet
NNID
Liamdude11
3DS FC
0791-4680-8645
N1N
3DS Friend Code: 0791-4680-8645
Nintendo Network ID: Liamdude11
Country of Residence: United States
Favorite Palette Color: Black & Blue

I'm stuck in Maine with no tournaments to go to... so that's a thing.

Bench

Smash Rookie
Bench- Indianapolis, IN
CPU?- Indianapolis, IN
Peanut- Indianapolis, IN
We don't main DK but we have put quite a bit of time into the character and sometimes use him in tourney.

TastyCarcass

Smash Apprentice
I'm from North East England.

I play DK exclusively now. I was once a Fox main, but it wasn't working out. Helped massively for learning the game though

My tag is Ook!
I'm also a member of the streaming team Smash House :)

Last edited:

Ringler

Smash Rookie
I'm Ringler from socal. I'm known locally for going to every major possible. I'd like to pick up ganon soon. His game plan seems like a lot of fun. Hopefully I'll see some of you dudes soon.

Top Bottom