• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Doc and Edgeguarding

SkullKidDale

Smash Cadet
NNID
SkullKidDale
Hello there, I'm a new person trying to get into competitive, and I main Doc and I just wanted to see what you guys do for edgeguarding with him. I typically go either b-air or Tornado, but i typically end up too far from the stage to get back on or I have trouble hitting my opponent. Just want to see what you guys do with him.

Dokokashira

Smash Journeyman
For me, it really depends on the matchup. If it's against Fox or Falco, I'll go for back air stage spikes or capes on their recovery. If it's against a character with a predictable recovery like Captain Falcon or Ganondorf, I'll use Megavitamins to gimp their recovery. If it's against a character with a versatile recovery, I'll wait onstage and barrage them with Megavitamins, and then hit them with a smash attack when they're vulnerable.

Generally, though, I always use Megavitamins and smash attacks when edgeguarding, often times not even opting to attempt an offstage edgeguard. With Dr. Mario, it's risky to try offstage edgeguarding, since if you get hit, it can be difficult to recover. Heck, if you run off the ledge with a forward air, you can just barely recover from that...

SkullKidDale

Smash Cadet
NNID
SkullKidDale
Alright thanks!
For me, it really depends on the matchup. If it's against Fox or Falco, I'll go for back air stage spikes or capes on their recovery. If it's against a character with a predictable recovery like Captain Falcon or Ganondorf, I'll use Megavitamins to gimp their recovery. If it's against a character with a versatile recovery, I'll wait onstage and barrage them with Megavitamins, and then hit them with a smash attack when they're vulnerable.

Generally, though, I always use Megavitamins and smash attacks when edgeguarding, often times not even opting to attempt an offstage edgeguard. With Dr. Mario, it's risky to try offstage edgeguarding, since if you get hit, it can be difficult to recover. Heck, if you run off the ledge with a forward air, you can just barely recover from that...
Alright thanks! Very helpful! I figured f-air was always a bad option. Can n-air work in some cases?

Dokokashira

Smash Journeyman
I'm not really much of a Dr. Mario master (yet. heh), but forward air isn't necessarily a bad option, but I guess it's just outclassed. Neutral air is actually a really good option. I don't believe that it will launch them far enough to gimp them completely, but it will put them in a bad position.

SkullKidDale

Smash Cadet
NNID
SkullKidDale
I'm not really much of a Dr. Mario master (yet. heh), but forward air isn't necessarily a bad option, but I guess it's just outclassed. Neutral air is actually a really good option. I don't believe that it will launch them far enough to gimp them completely, but it will put them in a bad position.
Okay thanks! I really appreciate it!

Chuatan

Smash Rookie
NNID
Aaron3209
I usually go for Super Sheet (side B) to gimp my opponent when recovering. It works fairly well if timed correctly. :)

Megavitamins are also a smart option too, as it is a good pressure tool.

F-Air is a very bad option for edgeguarding, as it has a lot of startup and is easy to punish. I only use it as a surprise KO move just to add some mix-up. More of an offense tactic if anything.

The way I see it, Dr. Tornado is overall something you shouldn't be doing when edgeguarding. It may have a lot of priority, but it leaves you quite vulnerable at the end and could mess up your recovery options if you're too close to the ledge.

I find myself frequently going for a Dash Attack just when they reach or are close to the ledge. This opens the opportunity for a quick UAir, NAir, Down B, or Up B (at low percents).

Last edited:

Routa

Smash Lord
When I used Doc Nair was a good option (run off stage and use Nair). Oh you have no idea how many Faptains have died 'cause of Nair. Also if you use customs Shocking Sheet is amazing edgeguarding tool. Yeah it doesn't have the wind gimp thing, but it is overall better 'cause normal and wind sheets are only good after enemy's side/up-b. Yeah and gimping Ness with pills. It feels so goooood.

Last edited:

onehundredhitz

Smash Apprentice
I've been using Nado as an edgeguarding tool recently. It does work sometimes if you time it right.

Kwam$tack$

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KwamStackS
the Docnado is a good option but it can require a good read sometimes. i'll bair or use the tip of his uair to knock them backwards. cape of course whenever the situations right, and dair can be good since the last hit has a good amount of knockback on it. you can edgeguard pretty low too as long as you save your jump for the docnado on the way up

Last edited:

Mugifi

Smash Rookie
NNID
Mugifi
3DS FC
0216-0792-4194
B-Air, Dr. Tornado, Mega Vitamins, Late N-Air, Super Sheet and reverse Up-B are all good options. If you manage to play with customs, Fast Capsule and Breezy Sheet are two good options. If you have Soaring Tornado, you can try to go deeper off-stage and you can also try for a F-Air without killing yourself.

ToTs

Smash Artist
NNID
x_ToTs_x
Stages with slants, like battlfield, animal crossing stages, etc. I do run of WB Nado into the stage under ledge. Usually results in a untechable spike, (since they are literally touching the stage) or they just get knocked further into blast zone.

CasteHappy//

Smash Apprentice
Down B 2gud
The tornado eats some recoveries like Pit's and Rosalina's, and can kill at some early percents, late Neutral Air is also great.
Cape is great for predictable recoveries like Falco's or Fox's Up B.
Spamming pills when someone is recovering low can steal his second jump and make an easier opportunity for edguarding, or they just can't reach the ledge.

ALSO, if Doc's Down Aerial trades with some recoveries offstage, the opponent will get "spiked" because they get the hitstun of the trade while falling down. It works really well if you practice the timing for each character, characters like Falcon or Fox are easy to trade with Dair.

3bubby

Smash Rookie
Hey I just started with Dr. Mario, but one option I've been doing that has had a lot of success is an off-stage up-B reversal.
Run off the stage, just as your opponent is nearing the ledge, then hit up-B with your joystick aimed at 11 o'clock. Do it right, and you can potentially close out a stock with that heavy blow and stage location, AND you immediately bolt to the ledge.

Reversal Up-B off stage. Legendary.

ToTs

Smash Artist
NNID
x_ToTs_x
Hey I just started with Dr. Mario, but one option I've been doing that has had a lot of success is an off-stage up-B reversal.
Run off the stage, just as your opponent is nearing the ledge, then hit up-B with your joystick aimed at 11 o'clock. Do it right, and you can potentially close out a stock with that heavy blow and stage location, AND you immediately bolt to the ledge.

Reversal Up-B off stage. Legendary.
Yeah that's a good edge guard for sure, be careful about doing that against Ganon and Falcon's Up-B. Sometimes the command grab will gimp you even if you hit him.

waterfall6464

Smash Cadet
Yeah that's a good edge guard for sure, be careful about doing that against Ganon and Falcon's Up-B. Sometimes the command grab will gimp you even if you hit him.
You can walljump tech those moves and hit Ganon/Falcon during their endlag with reverse up-b. It's pretty satisfying when it happens.

ToTs

Smash Artist
NNID
x_ToTs_x
You can walljump tech those moves and hit Ganon/Falcon during their endlag with reverse up-b. It's pretty satisfying when it happens.
I'm not talking about getting grabbed. If you up-b and they Up-B grab you both moves are canceled and you fall down, usually resulting in you not making it to the ledge since nado is worthless below ledge.

Eight_SixtyFour

Smash Ace
I'm not talking about getting grabbed. If you up-b and they Up-B grab you both moves are canceled and you fall down, usually resulting in you not making it to the ledge since nado is worthless below ledge.
I've had that happen to me before. It sucks :(. Wall jumping won't always help you here.

This is funnier is when you fail to recover, but the Ganon/Falcon player inadvertently saves you by trying to stage spike you with their up-b.

Top Bottom