• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The DK matchup..

5ully

Smash Ace
NNID
5ully151
3DS FC
0920-2807-1002
There's a 65% chance that it might just be me but i feel like this is the hardest match up for Wolf. My friend mains DK and it seems like no matter what i do, i get shield grabbed (often carried off and thrown into the stage for a stage spike), edge guarded, or just gimped. its just the speed of DK jabs and tilts that throw me off and hes all around a pretty fast character. Is there something i should know about this match up or is it that i just feed into his game?

MattScar

Smash Rookie
I'm by no means an expert, but i play both wolf and dk. I'd say wolf wins the matchup if you can just not get grabbed. Wolf can combo DK forever. Use your blaster to force him to make mistakes. Punish DK when he gets hit by the blaster or is shielding the shot. Get DK below the stage and hes pretty much dead, one Dair off the stage and hes dead cause DK has very little vertical recovery

If your friend has a good grab game with DK then the matchup gets harder. Dont play on FD because one grab by DK will kill Wolf, unless DK messes up his combos

But overall everything you do should be faster than anything DK does. One good hit from Wolf will kill DK if you can combo well enough. One grab from DK will kill Wolf, if DK can combo well enough

5ully

Smash Ace
NNID
5ully151
3DS FC
0920-2807-1002
yeah i guess when (if im lucky enough) i can combo him, i can go for a while and then i can kill off of it. but once DK gets a hit or reads me for something its all over for me.

t3chn0g0at

Smash Cadet
To be honest, that's most of Wolf's matchups. He spawns at death percent. Against DK I find it's best to dd and use the blaster until you can land a grab or a shine and then go to town on him.

Crin

Smash Rookie
vs DK is a pain. I've found you have to mix up your approach a lot, and try to remain as unpredictable as possible. (common knowledge in Smash, I'm sure we can agree) but how much can you mix it up? Up to you to decide. Goal is to not let those reads happen.

Approach with some SH blasters into a Nair or a dash attack, or dash forward and then wavedash backwards and see what your opponent does. Keep looking for an opening and exploit any mistake your opponent might make. If you need to, camp with blaster until you can find said opening. Shield grab is an option, but watch out for his grab. Spot dodge if you see it coming out, then punish the lag.

Once you get the punish, it's up to you to not drop the combo. Goal is to get him to a high percent. Not necessarily to take a stock. Then get a read into a kill. Wolf has a lot of KO moves.

5ully

Smash Ace
NNID
5ully151
3DS FC
0920-2807-1002
Wow thank you that (and everyone's comments) were really helpful. I'm working on my shines out of my air attacks. I'm just realizing that I'm pretty bad at te timing for when I can shine after a dair which is what I use a lot. But now I can work on mixing it up.

TOGOpuff

Jigglyfy the world !
NNID
TOGOpuff
i don't know if it's too late to answer this but i have some DK info. First of all it may seem obvious but take him to platforms. You'll camper play him since he has zero long range game. You can easily outspeed him on platforms and it'll also help you to avoid his combos. Don't put yourself right on top of him though or esle you'll get up aired to death. I like messing up approaches like nair > spotdodge and nair (on top part of the shield) > dash to dk's back > dash attack. The basics here is get the grab option out of his mind. This will come with loads of practice and great reads but if you get like 2 or 3 nair on shield to spotdodge and them punish the empty grab with a launcher you're good to go he'll think twice before trying the grab again. Then it's just a walk in the park you can mix up with nair shines and late sh aerials (landing behind him ) to a pivot grab, a wavedash bair or something else.

Neutral game will be boring for wolf and it's recommended to laser camp a lot. I like shpping in his direction wavelanding backwards (so you can laser punish him and keep space) raw hits will dictate the match until you get him to 40~50% then you can look for a launcher to a juggle combo. Once he's on air it's your game just don't mess up edge guard. Getting the first stock against a DK is heavy advantage and he'll have to risk more which wolf loves to punish. Keep a good spacing and it's your game.

Last edited:

TimeMuffinPhD

PhD in time travel and muffins.
NNID
TimeMuffinPhD
Would like to add to this that N-Air Shine juggles DK for a long time and shield pressure while be the bane of any DK player. Use forward wave-landed lasers to create more pressure along with N-Air Shine grabs. D-Air is also crazy good for edge-guarding DK, since his Up-B has mainly a horizontal hitbox.

Top Bottom