• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Difference Between Online and Multiplayer

jbozz1217

Smash Apprentice
What is it? I always see everyone saying the wi-fi (friend) modes aren't in any way similar to multi-player, mostly because of frame lag or something. I don't seem to notice a difference. Is it possible that people with a good connection don't experience this difference, or am I just too much of a n00b to notice?

jbozz1217

Smash Apprentice
Okay cool. I got a little bit discouraged when people were throwing around the idea that "wi-fi battles are pointless for judging skill."

Oracle

Smash Master
Generally speaking, they are, because not everyone lives close enough with a good enough connection to play lag free.

yungunr2

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2852-8390-1766
when i play online the timing is diff half the time because of lag and such so it just takes some getting use to, but there is no substituting a real match sitting right next to them.

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
Because of lag, online players focus on tactics that overcome lag, which can be very very different than offline matches.

lordaxl

Smash Cadet
to be honest, i think there's always going to be frame lag regardless of good connections. the timing on wifi will never be as precise as timing in real life games. it's like comparing wired controllers and wireless controllers for fighting games.

Rebel581

Smash Champion
If the connection is good enough there won't be a difference at all.
Yes, there is always a difference. Whether you feel the difference on an incredibly good connection is largely based off your skill. If you don't need frame perfect timing for something, it's not really an issue. There's also those who memorize buttons, and those who look at the screen and take visual cues on when to time things. I am the later, so I cannot play online. As starting at frame 0, I'll use an attack. The attack may show at frame 5. I need to input the next button at frame 3, but I only saw the attack at frame 5 instead of frame 3. So I input the next command at frame 8. This is WAY too late to enter the command, and I fail. Then, this occurs for everybody. There's lag in seeing your opponent and reacting. My opponent does an attack at frame 0. I see it at frame 5. It hits at frame 4. When I see it at frame 5, I react to block it. I press the guard button, but I've already been hit before I've even had a chance to block it.

I'm using very low numbers that aren't significant enough to matter, but just increase them and they can be very annoying. The point where there's 10 ms of lag is the point where it becomes noticeable if you're really good at the game. That is ONLY 6 frames. 6 frames DOES make a difference in fighting games. If you can play someone over the internet with less than 10 ms of lag, then is the only time it doesn't make a difference.

Gamekidadv

Smash Cadet
No matter how good your connection is, there's always a certain amount of input delay(or at least as far as I know anyway). Because of that, the game becomes less reacting to your opponents actions, and more guessing what your opponent will do next.

Dragonboy2k4

Smash Ace
Yes, there is always a difference. Whether you feel the difference on an incredibly good connection is largely based off your skill. If you don't need frame perfect timing for something, it's not really an issue. There's also those who memorize buttons, and those who look at the screen and take visual cues on when to time things. I am the later, so I cannot play online. As starting at frame 0, I'll use an attack. The attack may show at frame 5. I need to input the next button at frame 3, but I only saw the attack at frame 5 instead of frame 3. So I input the next command at frame 8. This is WAY too late to enter the command, and I fail. Then, this occurs for everybody. There's lag in seeing your opponent and reacting. My opponent does an attack at frame 0. I see it at frame 5. It hits at frame 4. When I see it at frame 5, I react to block it. I press the guard button, but I've already been hit before I've even had a chance to block it.

I'm using very low numbers that aren't significant enough to matter, but just increase them and they can be very annoying. The point where there's 10 ms of lag is the point where it becomes noticeable if you're really good at the game. That is ONLY 6 frames. 6 frames DOES make a difference in fighting games. If you can play someone over the internet with less than 10 ms of lag, then is the only time it doesn't make a difference.

Welcome to the land of blue/green connections then..:laugh: Ive had them and experienced little to no lag in our fights.Even ask Muz(the Samus player)who needs every single one of those frames for her,what should I call it.."Misslie Command 500"shooting confusion frenzy.My only suggestion for those expericening lag is to just play people that are closer to you and have a similar type connection(Lan/Wifi makes a difference) otherwise your gonna get yellow connections always,and in those is were I see the lag inputs and such.

Muz lives in N.J as for myself,N.Y and we always have near flawless fights.Because we both have the Lan adaptor.A dude that lives 6+blocks away from me was getting a yellow connection because he has a wireless connection oppose to my wired.But at the same time,he was getting blue/green connections from people in MA,and Conn because they also had wireless connections.

jbozz1217

Smash Apprentice
Okay. Thanks everyone. I don't really need any more information, but feel free if you are compelled to add...

Randofu

Smash Journeyman
Muz lives in N.J as for myself,N.Y and we always have near flawless fights.Because we both have the Lan adaptor.A dude that lives 6+blocks away from me was getting a yellow connection because he has a wireless connection oppose to my wired.But at the same time,he was getting blue/green connections from people in MA,and Conn because they also had wireless connections.
This doesn't make any sense. Wireless just degrades performance, period. Two wireless connections can only make things worse (albeit not much worse). More likely, your nearby friend uses a different ISP, so even though you were near each other physically, you were far away from each other in the network.

Iron Thorn

Smash Lord
Going to Gamelon. I'm taking the Triforce of Spag
Allow me to list some differences.

1. Lag.
2. You and your opponent can't read each other's expressions and/or mental states, thus reducing the effectiveness of Psych-Brawl-ogy.
3. Your taunts have messages attached to them.
4. You can't just pause mid-game to go to the bathroom and/or get a drink.
5. You can't get together and talk about rules beforehand.
6. You can't share laughs when something ridiculous happens.

So, it's a good way to meet more experienced players/shake up your opponent roster a little bit/play multiplayer naked without damaging anyone's retinas, but the best games are always face-to-face.

Top Bottom