• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Definitive Lloyd Irving Thread - fall down seven times, stand up eight (Mii costume confirmed)

stixie

Smash Apprentice
I personally believe Lloyd or Yuri is going to get in because Lloyd was the only Smash 4 Mii costume to not get a physical appearance in Ultimate yet unlike all the other Smash 4 Mii costumes who became a playable character, Assist Trophy, Spirit, boss, background cameo, ect in Ultimate. Lloyd or Tales Of doesn't have any of that in Ultimate and the Lloyd costume is the last Smash 4 costume yet to return. Coincidence? I think not.
Sakurai has said that if a tales rep gets in it would have to be Lloyd.

Anything can change of course but that's what his opinion on the matter was.

Last edited:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
The Tales Of festival is this weekend... let's hope we get something Symphonia related!

If there's a Symphonia remake in the style of FF7R, I think I'll actually die lol
Yeah I really hope it's not just japanese people talking on a table showing nothing new game-wise lol. We still don't know what tales of luminaria is… no new trailers of Arise yet… like come on. Last June they said we would get "lots" of news in the following months and then we didn't, so they owe us "lots" of news still lol, whatever they are

I hope that if Lloyd does get in, he'll come with a HD Symphonia port to Switch so that modern console players can enjoy his game.
Our biggest dream in reality, I really want a better version of Symphonia, since it didn't age that well visually lol. At least an HD remaster would suffice, cause I doubt they would go as far as remaking it entirely… altho that would be epic

Last edited:

Crudbone

Smash Rookie
First time writing in this thread after repeatedly visiting it over and over again to check on my boy's chances. Just wanted to say that I've been looking forward to Lloyd being in smash since I was a kid. Symphonia was my childhood game.

This time, I truly believe he's gonna get in. Today would've been the perfect time to show off the Lloyd Mii costume since he and Pyra/Mythra share so many commonalities: Both are from JRPGS with the 'World Tree' trope, both call out their special moves, Pyra and Lloyd are red swordfighters, Pyra/Mythra are technically 2 swords and Lloyd wields 2 swords, etc.

There is no reason why they didn't show it off today unless A) he's returning as an actual fighter, B) they're reserving the Mii for another DLC, or C) Bamco completely forgot about the Tales Of franchise and Lloyd won't return as a Mii or fighter. I don't know about you, but I find the first possibility to be the most likely. I'm keeping my hopes way up high for Lloyd!

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Hypothetically speaking, if Lloyd was a mii again, that begs the quesiton as to who he would be coming with, fighter-wise… it feels to me like he would be back with:
a) another rpg character from another series (maybe isaac gets upgraded? they both share motoi sakuraba as game composer lol)
b) another bamco rep
c) another tales character for whatever weird reason that changed sakurai's mind.

I don't feel his mii would just randomly come with any other type of fighter that isn't an rpg one, but that's just me.

I'm still hoping for him to be a fighter, but i think those are the most likely cases of how his mii would be coming back, if he is a mii again ( hopefully not )

Last edited:

DazeXz

Smash Rookie
Something i would like to point out is that even before the cut miis started coming back through DLC they were all represented in some way in the base game be it in spirits songs bosses or even taunts (pacman). Lloyd, and the tales series were the only thing with absolutely 0 representation at all in base game. This by itself doesnt mean that much but it does raise some eyebrows.
Either way im sure that if any tales reps join smash the miis would probably be all tales of characters to get as much representation as possible just like dragon quest did.

Last edited:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Something i would like to point out is that even before the cut miis started coming back through DLC they were all represented in some way in the base game be it in spirits songs bosses or even taunts (pacman). Lloyd, and the tales series were the only thing with absolutely 0 representation at all in base game. This by itself doesnt mean that much but it does raise some eyebrows.
Either way im sure that if any tales reps join smash the miis would probably be all tales of characters to get as much representation as possible just like dragon quest did.
Yep, I've been saying it since forever, no representation via spirits has been super suspicious as it is. If he was a mii again, what stopped Bamco from including a spirit event anniversary for the Tales series this last December? Octopath got an anniversary spirit event, so anniversary spirit events are a thing.
Or what about base game spirits? it's just weird.

Just the idea of getting one mii and zero spirits from the series bothers me to no end… with Tales Of being one of the top 3 jrpgs in japan as stated in the legacy segment of its wikipedia article, alongside DQ and FF, which those 2 got plenty of content now in Smash. And with Bamco working in this smash, it just makes it weirder to not have base game spirits for Tales… Having his mii back with no spirits by the time dlc ends would be just honestly the lamest outcome possible we could end living with, imo.

Which is why I think a scenario with Lloyd as a fighter makes more sense as we get closer to the end.

P.D.: and we still have no idea what the hell is the project Scott Menville is still under NDA!

Last edited:

AugustusB

Smash Champion
That is incredibly true. Just skimmed through all the costumes from Sm4sh and each one of them outside of Lloyd had SOME representation in Ultimate. Even Gil, who I completely forgot about was in Pac Man's taunt. That is certainly a brow raiser.

amageish

Smash Master
Tales not joining Pac-Man's Namco roulette is kind of weird... I guess there isn't really a cute mascot character who could be easily added in the same way as a lot of JRPGs have, but they still could have put a couple of pixel art protagonists...

I don't think it's that likely they were being "saved for DLC" or anything when we've had two/three spirit upgrades already, but it still is a bit "Oh? Okay I guess...".

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Tales not joining Pac-Man's Namco roulette is kind of weird... I guess there isn't really a cute mascot character who could be easily added in the same way as a lot of JRPGs have, but they still could have put a couple of pixel art protagonists...

I don't think it's that likely they were being "saved for DLC" or anything when we've had two/three spirit upgrades already, but it still is a bit "Oh? Okay I guess...".
That already has an explanation actually. Pacman's roulette is based on arcade games, which Lloyd never was part of. Heihachi and Gil were tho.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero

I've heard that it's all characters from arcade games, which explains how we got guys like Heihachi. I'm not an expert on Bamco, though, so I'll have to check that.

Crudbone

Smash Rookie
With 2 DLC slots left, I wonder what's the most likely DLC slot Lloyd would take? Even though I would be hype for Lloyd in the next round, I think people would get outraged about having 3 consecutive JRPG swordfighters (seph, pyra/mythra, lloyd) in a row. I'd say it makes the most sense for him to release after a fighter that breaks the pattern a bit.

IWantMyBurd

Smash Apprentice
The Tales Of festival is this weekend... let's hope we get something Symphonia related!

If there's a Symphonia remake in the style of FF7R, I think I'll actually die lol
This. This is the dream. The unicorn.

UH but not the actual unicorn in the game, that one, uh, that one died

Our biggest dream in reality, I really want a better version of Symphonia, since it didn't age that well visually lol. At least an HD remaster would suffice, cause I doubt they would go as far as remaking it entirely… altho that would be epic
Only if they get rid of the ice temple and tower of salvation sliding floor puzzles!

... Ugh, who am I kidding? They could do a remake with a puzzle like that in every dungeon, and I'd still buy it on release day

magiciandude

Smash Journeyman
My personal story with Lloyd, like most of you I started Tales of with tales of Symphonia and noted how it's comeback was similar to Smash Bros. Back during smash 4 development, I wanted Lloyd in over Pac-Man even though I knew it was just a pipe dream. I remember being told over and over again that Lloyd is on niche character they'll never get in. Once he got a Mii costume and Cloud was confirmed I pretty much never looked back on a Tales character getting into Smash. Now look where we are.

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Ace
Exactly 9.7 inches away from your current location
Well damn. Lloyd's the last one standing.

They've either set up one of the most obvious character reveals yet, or they've just been saving a ton of heavily requested characters to be costumed near the end of the DLC because suffering is funny.
maxresdefault (11).jpg

Which will it be?? Find out next time on Sakurai Presents!

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
You know, with Sakurai's admission to using figures/statues for fighter references and that the unreleased ones are locked away, I did some looking around and discovered that Lloyd does have a high quality statue that was released back in the end of May of 2015...interesting timing considering

Attachments

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Are they official sprites from elsewhere? I actually don't know where they're from
I think Heihachi's sprite was made specifically for Smash. Think being the keyword here.
Heihachi's sprite is from Tekken Tag Tournament 2's menu icon. The Prince's is from Me & My Katamari's end credits.

MrMilk

Smash Rookie
Here to say congratulations to the fellow Lloyd hopefuls. I'm shocked we got through this wave when it seemed to be the most logical time to drop Lloyd in. This is the most optimistic I've been about our chances in quite some time. Like others have said at this point the lack of any single piece of Tales content is a clear choice at this point, likely being held for some future event. Hopefully that's a character, but time will tell. I'll be looking forward to the news drops the festival brings this weekend. Does anyone know if any gaming websites are covering it or where we might go to find information on what happened soon after it finishes?

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Lloyd's costume is unique in that unlike Heihachi or Gil, copyright for his designer Kosuke Fujishima is listed, meaning he had to be consulted for the mii costume to get in.

So I'm thinking that one of the two spots is for a character designed by Kosuke. Which narrows it down to Lloyd, Yuri, Sakura Shinguji, and maybe Cless, Luke, and Jude.

Last edited:

spicynun

Smash Journeyman
You know, with Sakurai's admission to using figures/statues for fighter references and that the unreleased ones are locked away, I did some looking around and discovered that Lloyd does have a high quality statue that was released back in the end of May of 2015...interesting timing considering
Wow, my sister actually has that exact one!

Giga Man

Smash Journeyman

I hope that if Lloyd does get in, he'll come with a HD Symphonia port to Switch so that modern console players can enjoy his game.
My most desired feature for a Symphonia re-release is the original English cast reprising their roles to voice all the skits. That's all I truly want. And don't stop with the skits either. Voice every single line of dialogue featured in the game that wasn't voiced before. I would be so happy.

Last edited:

IWantMyBurd

Smash Apprentice

My most desired feature for a Symphonia re-release is the original English cast reprising their roles to voice all the skits. That's all I truly want. And don't stop with the skits either. Voice every single line of dialogue featured in the game that wasn't voiced before. I would be so happy.
At this point, they'd probably have to re-record all previously voiced lines to keep it consistent throughout the game, due to the VA's aging since then

I wonder if "Ominous Light"would make a return in that case lol

MattX20

Smash Hero
Hypothetically speaking, if Lloyd was a mii again, that begs the quesiton as to who he would be coming with, fighter-wise… it feels to me like he would be back with:
a) another rpg character from another series (maybe isaac gets upgraded? they both share motoi sakuraba as game composer lol)
b) another bamco rep
c) another tales character for whatever weird reason that changed sakurai's mind.

I don't feel his mii would just randomly come with any other type of fighter that isn't an rpg one, but that's just me.

I'm still hoping for him to be a fighter, but i think those are the most likely cases of how his mii would be coming back, if he is a mii again ( hopefully not )
There is one other character that's currently being speculated that in recent games of his has depicted him with two swords.

Attachments

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
Random thing on a Lloyd thread, but if Cress gets in I hope his dtilt is a slide kick
I just think it would look cool to see his cape flowing in the wind while he quickly slides under danger.
Would the slide kick work for Lloyd and other Tales of reps? Maybe Velvet could use it.

Last edited:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
There is one other character that's currently being speculated that in recent games of his has depicted him with two swords.
Somehow this gave me an idea that Lloyd "could" be fp10 revealed in May or June (depending when it actually releases), and to promote the sigma collection coming out in June 10th + promote all the other koei tecmo stuff happening in summer such asthe Age of Calamity dlc and Samurai Warriors 5…They could do the same thing they did with MH mii promoting MH Rise but this time Ryu Hayabusa mii to promote the Sigma Collection port on Switch, since Koei Tecmo has been pretty close with Nintendo lately, it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if they wanted a mii to promote the new ports.
It would be kinda sad tho, 'cause I also would've wanted Hayabusa to be a fighter as well for like fp11 or something, lol.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Somehow this gave me an idea that Lloyd "could" be fp10 revealed in May or June (depending when it actually releases), and to promote the sigma collection coming out in June 10th + promote all the other koei tecmo stuff happening in summer such asthe Age of Calamity dlc and Samurai Warriors 5…They could do the same thing they did with MH mii promoting MH Rise but this time Ryu Hayabusa mii to promote the Sigma Collection port on Switch, since Koei Tecmo has been pretty close with Nintendo lately, it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if they wanted a mii to promote the new ports.
It would be kinda sad tho, 'cause I also would've wanted Hayabusa to be a fighter as well for like fp11 or something, lol.
It could also happen the other way with Hayabusa as one of the last two fighters and Lloyd's costume returns. Not an ideal outcome, but given how all the other Smash 4 3rd party Mii Costumes have returned, we can't discard that possibility

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
It could also happen the other way with Hayabusa as one of the last two fighters and Lloyd's costume returns. Not an ideal outcome, but given how all the other Smash 4 3rd party Mii Costumes have returned, we can't discard that possibility
It really boils down to what would sell more in the pass in Japan (and outside) I feel, which Tales as a bigger series in Japan (and probably outside as well compared to NG) would do, combined with which character has had the strongest push since brawl times, which Lloyd has. But that's just how I see it in this specific case, not in every other case of course. Best timeline would be to have both as fp10 and fp11 lol

Last edited:
Top Bottom