• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Death of Melee?

How long will melee last?

• Total voters

TNam

Smash Rookie
The game of Super Smash Brothers Melee has been alive in the community for over 15 years. Even though there have been dry spells in the popularity of melee, in the recent few years there has been significant growth in the melee community. At Evo 2013 there were less than 800 entrants for a prize pool of less than $8000, and just 3 years later at Evo 2016 there were almost 2,400 entrants with a prize pool of over $23,000. The melee community is undoubtedly growing at a rapid pace.

More professional players are also getting sponsored by eSports organizations, giving them more opportunities to travel and continue playing melee. And the more professional players attending tournaments the more excitement it will generate for the local community.

I'm wondering how long the community thinks melee will last. Will sponsors and a growing community allow Melee to flourish for many years to come? Or is it just a quick spark that will soon die out?

TPX mosh

Smash Rookie
i wouldn't worry about anything until the gods start to retire. when armada retired it took a big hit, mango and mew2king became uninspired and it wasn't too competitive for a little bit at the very top of the ladder. and theres also the issue with controllers and disks, though it's mostly the controllers. nintendo came out with the new gamecube style smash controller and i have one that i use as my main with it's only flaw thus far being it's inability to shield drop when rolled to the left and down but i think nintendo is capable of reproducing quality controllers if it ever decides to support melee which i think it will start to soon especially with the re-release coming for the virtual console

Top Bottom