• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Daring "Raven" Swordsman: Kalas for Smash Switch Thread

PrinceGal3n

Smash Journeyman
Kalas: The Daring "Raven" Swordsman

Who is Kalas?
Kalas is the lead character and main male protagonist of Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean for the Nintendo Gamecube, developed by Monolith Soft and published by Namco. He is a unique swordsman, wielding a longsword and dagger as well as an impressive arsenal of elemental based attacks through the use of Magus, magical cards that contain elemental powers and objects found in the world of Baten Kaitos. Throughout the course of the game, Kalas and friends try and stop the resurrection of the evil god Malpercio and bring back the Lost Ocean to the world.

Why Kalas?
Baten Kaitos is easily an underrated series. Even after Monolith Soft was bought by Nintendo, no new game for the series has been announced for a long time. Until recently, I had only seen the cover in passing in game stores, but then I decided to give it a try. I was pleasantly surprised by this game's stunning visuals, its unique battle system, rich story, and colorful cast of characters. In addition, Kalas' name was presented on a poll from Japanese fans back during the Brawl days by Sakurai himself. Kalas is unfortunately overshadowed by many characters in the current environment, but having him as an out-of-left-field pick would be a welcome addition.

What can Kalas bring to Smash?
In the world of Baten Kaitos, individuals are born with the ability to manifest a pair of wings, called Wings of the Heart. Kalas, being born with only one true wing, is equipped with a mechanical winglet, giving him quite the unique appearance. The wings can be utilized for both attacking and enhanced movement, such as flight. While he is primarily a swordsman, Kalas' attacks can be enhanced with 6 (technically 7) types of elemental damage: Fire, Water, Light, Dark, Wind, Chrono (Time), and Neutral (Physical). If his attacks are chained together in succession, the damage he deals is increased exponentially.

In addition to his thirty weapon Magus, which contain his various swords for his attacks, Kalas also has access to a wide variety of body armors, helmets, and shields in the form of defense Magus. These could give him many defensive options in combat. Other Magus hold other items such as healing items, items that can be thrown at the enemies, or special key items with unique effects. You can watch a sample of him fighting below.

https://youtu.be/Z5ki0jBrfVs?t=7m33s

His finshing moves could easily bolster his moveset with many unique attacks. Watch the first minute.

Another aspect of Baten Kaitos is the Guardian Spirit. The player takes the role of a Guardian Spirit, who helps Kalas and company make decisions throughout the story as well as support them in battle by lending them strength to use powerful Spirit Attacks. These could easily be incorporated in his normal or special moves. You can watch these moves in the video above starting at the 5:02 mark.

What stands in his way?
Kalas is obscure. Very obscure. Not only was Baten Kaitos not a smash hit, but it still a very unknown series with only two games, both on the Gamecube. The game's unique take on turn-based combat was off putting to many, which didn't help it popularity. Baten Kaitos also has no foreseeable new game coming to the franchise, which is another con against him.

Is there Hope?
In addition to his presence in Sakurai's poll results many years ago, Baten Kaitos did receive a song in Super Smash Bros: Wii U, from the second entry in the series, Baten Kaitos Origins. This means the series is still on Sakurai's mind if only a little bit. You can listen to the song below.

Stock Icons ( Courtesy of Pakky Pakky ) :

Check out his full moveset down below!

Links:
Sakurai Poll Thread: https://smashboards.com/threads/characters-on-sakurais-poll.71872/

Supporters:
PrinceGal3n PrinceGal3n
S SEGAGameBoy
Good Guy Giygas Good Guy Giygas

Last edited:

PrinceGal3n

Smash Journeyman
Playstyle

Kalas is a swordsman through and through, but he is also adept at using the powers of his Magnus cards and other elemental attacks. Kalas is also an aerial fighter, meaning he spends most of his time off his feet when in combat. His idle position is grounded, but as soon as he moves, he is airborne above the ground. Think Mewtwo-like in his movements, but with wings. He has 6 jumps thanks to his wings, as well as a moderate weight class.

Entrance: Kalas brings out his wings in a flash of light and machinery

Basic Moves

Jab:
  • An upward slash from the longsword
  • An overhead slash from the longsword
  • Chaotic Illusion: unleashes a flurry of slashes before ending with an overhead slash from his sword and dagger
Forward tilt: a heavy, overheard slash with his longsword

Down tilt: crouches down and slashes quickly with his dagger

Up tilt: an upward slash with his dagger, followed by his longsword

Dash attack: Lord of the Wind- turns himself into a bullet, with his sword out and diving headfirst

Smashes

Forward: Energy Wave- winds up and slashes with an energy infused blade, creating a small wave in front of him along the ground

Down: Flash Explosion- winds up and stabs his sword in the ground, causing a fiery blast to surround himself, high knock back

Up: Blue Storm- winds up and releases a blue, wind cyclone infant of him, sending his foe skyward

Aerials

Neutral: releases burst of light from his wings, causing damage around him

Down: cleaves downward with a two-handed slash, meteor attack

Forward: slashes sideways in the air

Back: kicks backward in the air behind him

Up: swoops higher with a upward slash

Ledge Attacks

Up from ledge attack: sweeps the feet of his foes with his longsword

Up from prone attack: attacks with a swirling gust of wind

Throws

Grab: dashes forward and grabs foe, holding them slightly above the ground

Pummel: slashes the foe with his dagger

Forward throw: Water Blade- pushes them forward before sending a powerful water wave through them

Backward throw: pushes foe behind himself before unfurling his winglet into them, attacking with electrical damage

Down throw: Sacred Spring- slams his foe into the ground before stabbing sword into the ground, unleashing a bubbling spring beneath them, sending them flying

Up throw: Dream Blade- hurls the foe upward as a swarm of energy blades send them skyward

Specials

Neutral: Shadow Wings- sends a crow made of dark energy sailing towards a foe, can charge to send a whole murder of crows at an enemy

Side: Binding Winds- strikes his foe with an electrified tornado, stunning them briefly for 2-3 seconds

Up: Fangs of Light- soars upward while slashing in a corkscrew, covered in gold light

Down: Draw Magnus- Kalas draws one of several Magnus cards from his hand, allowing him to use its power or release the item by throwing it at his foe

- Sword Magnus: Dark Sword - changes Kalas’s next few attacks to be charged with Dark Energy

- Rotten Fruit - throws a piece of rotting fruit at foe, causing continuous poison damage

- Sacred Rice Wine - a rare drink that heals 50% damage

- Horned Helmet - throws a metal helmet item at his foe

- Buckler Shield - briefly equips a small shield that deflects projectiles

Final Smash

Spirit Guardian- Kalas combines his strength with that of his Guardian Spirit, conjuring the Spirit as an orb of light in front of him, which he slashes in a burst of light to catch nearby foes. Once caught, he uses Lingering Time to freeze his enemies in place with a magic glyph before using Distorting Wind to assail his foes with a storm of damaging wind, ending by using Shining Seraph to drop a sphere of light onto his foes with a large blast.

Taunts

One: stands with his back to the screen while looking over his shoulder

Two: his wings expand, causing his winglet to adjust its mechanisms and gears

Three: takes out his camera and snaps a shot at a foe with a flash, stand too close and it stuns for 1 seconds

Here is a full moveset for anyone who wants to see his potential.

Last edited:

Good Guy Giygas

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-6635-8915-7294
Wow, I have never heard of this character or this game. But honestly, these are the kind of characters I'd love to see in Smash; the more obscure, the better. Part of the fun of Smash games for me is learning about gaming history, which usually comes in the form of discovering games that have been all but forgotten. After all, the Smash games have introduced me to a lot of franchises I probably wouldn't have known about otherwise, and some have become my favorites, most notably the Mother series.

Anyways, the story behind this guy seems pretty intriguing. While his design is a little goofy, it kinda adds to his charm in a way. I also remember unlocking that song in Smash 4 and thinking it was pretty cool, but I never knew where it originated. I'm not sure what kind of chance he has of getting in (probably pretty small), but you have my support as well!

Last edited:

PrinceGal3n

Smash Journeyman
Wow, I have never heard of this character or this game. But honestly, these are the kind of characters I'd love to see in Smash; the more obscure, the better. Part of the fun of Smash games for me is learning about gaming history, which usually comes in the form of discovering games that have been all but forgotten. After all, the Smash games have introduced me to a lot of franchises I probably wouldn't have known about otherwise, and some have become my favorites, most notably the Mother series.

Anyways, the story behind this guy seems pretty intriguing. While his design is a little goofy, it kinda adds to his charm in a way. I also remember unlocking that song in Smash 4 and thinking it was pretty cool, but I never knew where it originated. I'm not sure what kind of chance he has of getting in (probably pretty small), but you have my support as well!
Thank you so much for even being interested! I made this thread a while ago and never expected anyone to take interest! This made my day!

Aldri

Smash Cadet

Probably just a reference, but damn I'd flip out if Kalas was actually in.

Lyu_

Smash Rookie
This is exactly what I want in Smash.
Kalas would be a great addition! Not only him, but all the others, too! They're all unique in their own way and I wish I could see any of the cast from the original game again, be it Kalas, Lyude, Savyna, Xelha, Gibari or Mizuti (especially Mizuti).

Baten Kaitos was a big part of my childhood and a strong influence for me. It's sad that we didnt hear much since the second game (which also never released in Europe).

Lets hope that they breathe life into the franchise again!

OMG.

Don't do this to me! This is gonna make me question everything like I have been for Skull Kid!
I know I probably shouldn't be that hyped for Kalas, but Baten Kaitos was a big part of my childhood. So LET'S GO! KALAS FOR SMASH BOIIIIIIISS!.

PS: Interestingly enough the two Baten Kaitos Spirits are listed to be from the "Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean"-Franchise in the German version. Does this mean anything, I don't know, but I pray it does.

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Ah, this really takes me back. Even though the voice acting was poorly-directed, I thoroughly enjoyed this game. Unique battle system, heart-wrenching plot, and an epic soundtrack that I listen to even today. Easily mine favourite GameCube RPG. That said, I wouldn't mind seeing an HD remake with better voice acting.

As for Kalas's chances of being playable, honestly the only way I see that happening is if Sakurai takes a personal interest in him. I seriously doubt he was on the list Nintendo gave to Sakurai--though I could be wrong.

I'm surprised Kalas didn't appear as a Spirit. Sagi from Baten Kaitos Origins did, but to mine memory, no characters from the first game appeared.

For those whom don't know, we did get a Baten Kaitos song in Smash 4 & Ultimate, The Valedictory Elegy.

If Kalas does make it in the game, this song HAS to make the cut:

Top Bottom