• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The current state of Pokemon Stadium

Do you think PS should be legal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

5BAR

Smash Rookie
There has been much controversy over the current legality of Pokemon stadium.

-Some people think it the stage is broken, transformations interrupt game-play,full of glitches, and too much in favor for spacies.

+While some think the transformations are hype, especially cliff battles, glitches are too rare to consider them interruptions. And some people just don't agree about the spacies statement.

What do you guys think? Should the stage still be considered legal or removed all together?
I would love to hear your guys opinion on this.

Last edited:
There has been some controversy, but I don't think it's very prevalent. Its problems are very tolerable and it's a great stage to play on

5BAR

Smash Rookie
There has been some controversy, but I don't think it's very prevalent. Its problems are very tolerable and it's a great stage to play on
I agree, Pokemon stadium can get really hype, its just that imo the transformations get in the way sometimes.

Also I love your videos ;)

MurphyPrime

Smash Journeyman
If they took away the weird part of the transformations where the stage has a lip (like the white part connecting to the inside of the stage), I wouldn't mind pokemon.

GenNyan

Smash Ace
*Wins on PS*
"Pokemon Stadium is a very fair and balanced stage."

*Loses on PS*
"Pokemon Stadium is F***ing Bulls*** and it needs to be F***ing banned!"

GenNyan

Smash Ace
ROFL mutecity is full of stage hazards
I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with stage hazards. You can see the cars coming several seconds ahead of time, so you can obviously prepare for them. That wasn't even why it was banned anyway, most people refer to the match where Armada beat mango with it, since they were johning for Mango. That and the lack of grabable ledges. Everyone complained that it was an instawin for floaties, but it definitely would not be an instawin today, since Armada and Hbox rarely miss edge guards on normal stages with ledges. I'm sure the others would john like hell though.

Tl;dr: I can see why its banned, but its got the best case for coming back out of everything thats banned.

Archelon

Smash Journeyman
If they took away the weird part of the transformations where the stage has a lip (like the white part connecting to the inside of the stage), I wouldn't mind pokemon.
Do you mean like trying to walk off the cliff transformation on the right side? Because I find that can really mess me up too.

sadweather

Smash Apprentice
I think PKMN Stadium is fine as a counterpick. I used to think it should be banned for the glitches, but it has never happened to me, so I'm fine with it.

5BAR

Smash Rookie
I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with stage hazards. You can see the cars coming several seconds ahead of time, so you can obviously prepare for them. That wasn't even why it was banned anyway, most people refer to the match where Armada beat mango with it, since they were johning for Mango. That and the lack of grabable ledges. Everyone complained that it was an instawin for floaties, but it definitely would not be an instawin today, since Armada and Hbox rarely miss edge guards on normal stages with ledges. I'm sure the others would john like hell though.

Tl;dr: I can see why its banned, but its got the best case for coming back out of everything thats banned.
"The reason for its banning is due to a lack of ledges that can be grabbed and the stage's primary platform size; it can just barely provide sufficient space for two combatants, and it becomes far too small for doubles play"

I can see what your coming from with the stage hazards statement, they really aren't that bad, however there's not ledges to grab. Also the platform that is usually played on is very small and is really bad for characters that need space to move around such as falcon or peach.

Last edited:

GenNyan

Smash Ace
"The reason for its banning is due to a lack of ledges that can be grabbed and the stage's primary platform size; it can just barely provide sufficient space for two combatants, and it becomes far too small for doubles play"

I can see what your coming from with the stage hazards statement, they really aren't that bad, however there's not ledges to grab. Also the platform that is usually played on is very small and is really bad for characters that need space to move around such as falcon or peach.
The Tldr wasn't my entire post you know. I clearly mentioned the fact that there were no grabable ledges. And it is a bad stage for falcon, but great for peach btw. Banning stages should have nothing to do with balancing the tier list however.

Why the f*** did you link that game? Of all the games you could've linked to try to show your point, you linked one that showed peach losing on a stage that was considered an insta-win for peach. Nice. Thanks for proving my original point (My point was that it wasn't an instawin for peach, since Ik that you didn't actually read my post).

Edit: I never said it should be legal in doubles.

Last edited:

Little ShOcKeR

Smash Cadet
dont you dare take away pichu's infinite galaga mash jab combo on pokemon stadium's fire transformation. If you guys do. I will find you. And I will kill you. ;) jkjk but seriously though....:glare:

Archelon

Smash Journeyman

I think that it isn't an unfair stage, but at this point in the metagame it won't get reimplemented because it changes and isn't a flat platform, for better or for worse.

5BAR

Smash Rookie
The Tldr wasn't my entire post you know. I clearly mentioned the fact that there were no grabable ledges. And it is a bad stage for falcon, but great for peach btw. Banning stages should have nothing to do with balancing the tier list however.

Why the f*** did you link that game? Of all the games you could've linked to try to show your point, you linked one that showed peach losing on a stage that was considered an insta-win for peach. Nice. Thanks for proving my original point (My point was that it wasn't an instawin for peach, since Ik that you didn't actually read my post).

Edit: I never said it should be legal in doubles.
Gee dude calm down i was just asking for your opinion on PS rofl

Edit: also I was giving you my opinion, I feel like the stage is too small and has stage hazards so it makes sense to see it banned. I feel like it is a really hype stage though. However I don't understand why you are getting so heated when this thread is about pokemon stadium but idk.

Last edited:

GenNyan

Smash Ace
Gee dude calm down i was just asking for your opinion on PS rofl

Edit: also I was giving you my opinion, I feel like the stage is too small and has stage hazards so it makes sense to see it banned. I feel like it is a really hype stage though. However I don't understand why you are getting so heated when this thread is about pokemon stadium but idk.
I'm not getting heated just because I cursed once. I guess that I was really just kind of disappointed, I expected a better argument.

Sutekh

Smash Apprentice
As far as Mute City being reimplemented, I think the stage hazards are a bigger factor than you want to believe. Even if you can see the cars coming, it still takes focus away from the interaction between players.

Archelon

Smash Journeyman
As far as Mute City being reimplemented, I think the stage hazards are a bigger factor than you want to believe. Even if you can see the cars coming, it still takes focus away from the interaction between players.
Yeah. As I said before, it isn't necessarily a bad thing, but at the current point with what the metagame's going towards, it isn't gonna get put in. Without a flat stage with specific platforms, the combos everyone's spent so long perfecting don't work anymore.

Archelon

Smash Journeyman
I think that any stage that "moves" should be banned according to current metagame. Rainbow Cruise, Poke Floats, Mute City and Brinstar all "move" from place to place within the game. For stages that themselves change, it isn't clear cut. Also, as a Fox main, I know it to be a really amazing stage for me, with a low ceiling and super wide. Is that something that is factored into this?

Little ShOcKeR

Smash Cadet
You know maybe newer (newer used as in been playing for the last about 2 years) players (including me) shouldn't be discussing how good a stage is. Because what we don't like a stage because of reason "X" but half of the pros like it because of "Y" and "Z", when we as a "newer player" don't even under stand reason "X" and "Y".

Sutekh

Smash Apprentice
You know maybe newer (newer used as in been playing for the last about 2 years) players (including me) shouldn't be discussing how good a stage is. Because what we don't like a stage because of reason "X" but half of the pros like it because of "Y" and "Z", when we as a "newer player" don't even under stand reason "X" and "Y".
The reason certain stages are preferred in certain situations are fairly straightforward. Blast zones, platform height, stage width, stage hazards, and how easily the edge can be grabbed are really the main things that are considered, and that doesn't take 5 years experience to understand. If you can understand why certain characters would benefit/ be at a disadvantage because of those factors, you're pretty much on even ground.

Last edited:

Little ShOcKeR

Smash Cadet
The reason certain stages are preferred in certain situations are fairly straightforward. Blast zones, platform height, stage width, stage hazards, and how easily the edge can be grabbed are really the main things that are considered, and that doesn't take 5 years experience to understand. If you can understand why certain characters would benefit/ be at a disadvantage because of those factors, you're pretty much on even ground.
All I'm saying is we may not know the whole picture. I'm not saying we don't know anything.

5BAR

Smash Rookie
I'm not getting heated just because I cursed once. I guess that I was really just kind of disappointed, I expected a better argument.
Well this thread is about The current state of Pokemon Stadium
not about mute city so that's probably why I didn't bother to actually debate about that stage. Sorry to disappoint you.

Also that profile picture goes great with these comments LOL.

pagedMov

Smash Apprentice
NNID
pagedMov
Well this thread is about The current state of Pokemon Stadium
not about mute city so that's probably why I didn't bother to actually debate about that stage. Sorry to disappoint you.
Good thing he wasn't the person who even brought up Mute City. And honestly, discussing the possibility of Mute City's reimplementation is a whole lot more interesting than beating the dead horse that is PS controversy.

5BAR

Smash Rookie
Good thing he wasn't the person who even brought up Mute City. And honestly, discussing the possibility of Mute City's reimplementation is a whole lot more interesting than beating the dead horse that is PS controversy.
True, I made this thread because I thought a discussion about this would be interesting. Unfortunately people got upset at me so I guess I should stop making posts about stuff that I find interesting & have questions about.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:

GenNyan

Smash Ace
True, I made this thread because I thought a discussion about this would be interesting. Unfortunately people got upset at me so I guess I should stop making posts about stuff that I find interesting & have questions about.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Nobody's mad at you, chill.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Honestly my biggest gripe about PS is that you cannot see what takes place directly under the ledge, as the corner of the stage overlaps it. But overall, I think the stage list we have now is great.

Top Bottom