• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Cerulean Cave: Mewtwo Stage Discussion

Smashifer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CRYN1ME
3DS FC
5129-3686-1647
As meleebrawler meleebrawler said, Lylat's tilting can get in the way of Shadow Balls and mess up recovery, and I find the platforms iffy due to how weird their placement is, and again, coupled with the tilting is pretty bad with what little Mewtwo has already. Along with the pretty high ceiling makes it difficult to get kills off the top. I'd say Lylat is a no-no for Mewtwo.

As for Duck Hunt, I'd say it's 50-50, maybe a little less. Sure the ducks can get in the way most of the time but because of how close the left and right blast zones are, they can make for some back throw shenanigans. The ceiling is pretty true to what you see as far as I can tell, so killing off the top is okay-ish, although the lack of reliable platforms is kind of a turn-off.
I'd say Duck Hunt is even, although you have much better choices when it comes to picking your stage.

Last edited:

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
As meleebrawler meleebrawler said, Lylat's tilting can get in the way of Shadow Balls and mess up recovery, and I find the platforms iffy due to how weird their placement is, and again, coupled with the tilting is pretty bad with what little Mewtwo has already. Along with the pretty high ceiling makes it difficult to get kills off the top. I'd say Lylat is a no-no for Mewtwo.

As for Duck Hunt, I'd say it's 50-50, maybe a little less. Sure the ducks can get in the way most of the time but because of how close the left and right blast zones are, they can make for some back throw shenanigans. The ceiling is pretty true to what you see as far as I can tell, so killing off the top is okay-ish, although the lack of reliable platforms is kind of a turn-off.
I'd say Duck Hunt is even, although you have much better choices when it comes to picking your stage.
Didn't someone prove that the sides aren't as close as people think?

Smashifer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CRYN1ME
3DS FC
5129-3686-1647
Didn't someone prove that the sides aren't as close as people think?
I dunno, did they? All I know is that it's pretty useful as I've gotten many back throw kills with it. I think it was around the 90% mark, but I can't remember if I had rage or not.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
What do you mean by this?
(I think it would be a good discussion to have, especially in this thread)
Well, it's just that NOBODY gets screwed harder by Little Mac by certain stages. He does fine on Battlefield and FD, but Smashville or Duck Hunt? Yeah, good luck.

Some stages may be less favorable to Mewtwo depending on his opponent (like say Sheik on Smashville, or Ryu on Halberd), but nothing insurmountable.

Sonicninja115

Well, it's just that NOBODY gets screwed harder by Little Mac by certain stages. He does fine on Battlefield and FD, but Smashville or Duck Hunt? Yeah, good luck.

Some stages may be less favorable to Mewtwo depending on his opponent (like say Sheik on Smashville, or Ryu on Halberd), but nothing insurmountable.
So your saying that you can't counter pick stages against Mewtwo anymore, you can only counter pick depending on the Stage MU?

Sonicninja115

I mean Mewtwo isn't really more disadvantaged vs. Sheik on Smashville than other characters basically.
I agree. With Shiek, you just learn the MU, get a advantageous stage, and pray.

I think the best stage Mewtwo vs. Shiek is Dreamland.

Should I update the OP saying to discuss Mewtwo vs. Character stage MU's?

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I agree. With Shiek, you just learn the MU, get a advantageous stage, and pray.

I think the best stage Mewtwo vs. Shiek is Dreamland.

Should I update the OP saying to discuss Mewtwo vs. Character stage MU's?
I agree, the stage you choose as Mewtwo has more to do with your opponent than Mewtwo.

I mean, it's pretty clear Battlefield is Mewtwo's best stage in a vacuum, but it's very risky to take Mario there.

Sonicninja115

I agree, the stage you choose as Mewtwo has more to do with your opponent than Mewtwo.

I mean, it's pretty clear Battlefield is Mewtwo's best stage in a vacuum, but it's very risky to take Mario there.
Agreed.

Is there any gimmicks Mewtwo can take advantage of stage wise?

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Agreed.

Is there any gimmicks Mewtwo can take advantage of stage wise?
Again, most of them are on Battlefield: teleport cancelling, confusion sometimes plants opponent on platform as does dthrow, nair locks etc. Mewtwo just really likes low platforms

Lylat Cruise has the easier lagless ledge getup.

Sonicninja115

Again, most of them are on Battlefield: teleport cancelling, confusion sometimes plants opponent on platform as does dthrow, nair locks etc. Mewtwo just really likes low platforms

Lylat Cruise has the easier lagless ledge getup.
Did we ever look into SH confusion? I can't remember, but it seems like it would force them onto the PF.

Zarxrax

Smash Apprentice
I think the flat stages like FD and Duck hunt can benefit Mewtwo in some ways that haven't been discussed. While it's true that they leave less landing options for mewtwo, they also leave less landing options for the opponent. Mewtwos full charge shadow ball is one of the best moves in the game for shutting down an on-stage landing, so I think this gives us a good advantage there.

I also dislike dreamland, because most of the hits on mewtwo's upsmash will miss an opponent on the platforms. I think that attack is useful enough that I would rather go to battlefield with the higher ceilings than to not have access to this option.

Last edited:

Sonicninja115

I think the flat stages like FD and Duck hunt can benefit Mewtwo in some ways that haven't been discussed. While it's true that they leave less landing options for mewtwo, they also leave less landing options for the opponent. Mewtwos full charge shadow ball is probably the best move in the game for shutting down an on-stage landing, so I think this gives us a good advantage there.

I also dislike dreamland, because most of the hits on mewtwo's upsmash will miss an opponent on the platforms. I think that attack is useful enough that I would rather go to battlefield with the higher ceilings than to not have access to this option.
DL also allows earlier kills though. If you catch an opponent with Uair or Uthrow off a platform it will kill ridiculously early. Plus, Uthrow platform locks on the top platform 0-2%, so this the best stage (kappa, but the lock is true.) Duck hunt can be annoying for Mewtwo. You really have to be careful of the ducks. Other then that, edgeguarding is really nice on that stage.

FD has it's uses, but is a bit outclassed by BF and T&C.

Keep this thread going! Keep on posting! I will usually reply more in depth BTW.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Did we ever look into SH confusion? I can't remember, but it seems like it would force them onto the PF.
Confusion makes you jump higher which doesn't allow you to go lower than a certain distance (vertically speaking). Falling Confusion after having already used Confusion in the air can put your opponent on the platform though, but you would need to learn the exact height at which you activate it.

In general I think T&C and DreamLand are our best stages, but as has been said before in this thread: It is more important to CP against your opponent, specially with a char that basically does well on all stages.

Last edited:
Top Bottom