• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Case about Mii: Helicopter Kick + Solution to Fix Legalizing

Kodystri

the PK Spamming Lucas Main
NNID
Kodystri
Before we began, I am NOT a Mii Brawler main or will ever use the character seriously, I use Mii Gunner and may still stick with Ness and Lucas regardless.

Hello guys, I am Xanos, currently ranked 7 on the PR in GA(though I may be kicked off top 10 this season) and I have always been a huge supporter of Miis. I used to main Mii Gunner and loved every aspect of its moveset. But, then people banned Miis in GA for a time period, and I just decided to drop Mii Gunner because of it and go with Ness(and later Lucas). Recently, the Georgia Smash Community recently allowed Miis legalized in all of their moveset mainly thanks to the player, Limbs, who commonly teams up with Fatality. Recently, Fatality was double eliminated by him and has gotten some controversy.

First of all, it is REALLY REALLY bad that I have to DEFEND Helicopter Kick for the majority of this post and not the other two Miis to get a point straight because people complain about that move like the plague.
Now as you probably heard this message a million times.

HELICOPTER KICK IS NOT BROKEN, JANKY, or CHEESY.

There I said it.
Helicopter Kick is infamous for killing people early around 40-60% at the edge, and I have witness several complaints about this move to warrant the Miis banned, including Swordfighter and Gunner. People do, however, realize there is just as janky moves or combos that can do it more consistently than Helicopter Kick. Zero Suit Samus for example, can get this combo very consistently as shown in Nairo's play though it kills later than Helicopter Kick. Bayonetta can also consistently get her 0 to death on many characters. Ness can potentially kill you at 40% with PK Fire to Bat, Nair Jab Lock, or PK Thunder 2. Captain Falcon can read your airdodge and kill you stupidly early. Every Shield Break Punish ever. etc etc.

Yet, besides Bayonetta, I never see NEARLY as much complaints about Helicopter Kick than I see about the characters that can kill early. Helicopter Kick dying at the edge at 40-60% is actually easily avoidable if you know the matchup. One way is to simply not get grabbed at that golden percent. After the golden percent, Mii Brawler will be unable to kill with Helicopter Kick except for a read. In Fact, you can also factor that Brawler's ONLY reliable kill moves are Helicopter Kick, Side B 1(Can't remember the name), Up Smash, and Forward Smash. Mii Brawler does not have a kill throw. Mii Brawler does not have an aerial that kills except much later. Up Smash and Forward Smash requires hard reads. Side B and Helicopter Kick requires commitment.

The other way to avoid dying at 40-60% is being near the middle of the stage. Mii Brawler will not be able to kill you with Helicopter kick at that percent if you are in the middle of the stage. Just like how some people describe the Meta Knight MU is being at the edge of stage, the same applies to Brawler, but being in the middle of the stage at the golden percent.
With the uprising of the Bayonetta bans, there has been some controversy yes. However, there is people that want Bayonetta not banned but Mii Brawler legal. Though not a huge percent of the population, the people that does not want Miis to have all their moves because "Oh helicopter kick is broken" but keep Bayonetta Legal, pisses me off in a way. Like why? At best, you will have 3 more viable characters. I am sure people like their characters.

Okay, now lets take Helicopter Kick out of the equation. I am very sure people would be supportive of Miis if it was not for Helicopter Kick or other broken moves on Miis. There will be people that would not like the idea because of course "custom" characters. But you do have to realize that Mii's gimmicks are being "Customized characters." Just like Rosalina's gimmick being a puppet fighter, Mega Man's Gimmicks is having projectiles in majority of his move, Ryu's gimmick being his inputs, Cloud's gimmick being Limit, and I can go on with this.

Not only the bans attack people that legitimately want to main them competitively, it also attacks people that are new to the scene. I am sure many people if they got the game was like "Oh I can play Lloyd, Chrom, and all these other cool characters!" and enjoy their moveset. Then they notice there is a competitive scene. They enter the tournament and then bam, your main is banned or extremely limited.

Though, why do we not just go default? Well I will be blunt. They do suck. But saying they suck should not be an argument for Miis being completely legalized. As I said earlier. THEY ARE CUSTOMIZED CHARACTERS. They have been buffed around their movesets, even their other specials more than any other character. I will admit I don't have the most legitimate argument for this.

You may say the same about customs, but customs are generally super grinding to get and takes a long time to get. It has also been ruled uncompetitive by many people for legitimate reasons(Power Vision, Extreme balloon trip, Dongbender). Miis are not technically custom as you can use Miis(even with equipment, as they will go into battle without it) when customs are off. You probably heard this argument a million times, but the point still stands.
Now to talk about the DLC Characters, characters that were not in the original game. You have to pay for these character, while the Miis stay completely free and a small bit of time to make. One common argument is that Miis require time to set up. That is true, I am not going to deny that, but so does... DLC CHARACTERS. You have to go through a menu, select your characters, select the stages, and bam you bought them. At the same time, it would not hurt to add a small and a large Mii to have it correct. So why are we again, limiting Miis when we have to pay for DLC characters? Why are we keeping DLC Characters when DLC isn't on every system? How is a player going to learn a DLC Character Matchup if he does not have access to that character. Meanwhile, you can set up a small Mii for free and learn the MU there and lab with that character. Takes less than a minute once you have a small and a large Mii in your system.

Though, how do you make people bring set ups with Small and Large Miis with them? First of all, the best solution would be waiving the venue fee with a complete set up. That includes the DLC characters, Small and Large Miis, TV, Game and Console, and working Audio. If they are too lazy to add miis, well their Venue fee is not waived, simple as that.
I really hope the community can understand why Miis should be legal. They are customized characters. And customized they should be.

TL;DR - Miis should be legal and one of the biggest complaints about Miis is Helicopter Kick(not a broken move), not the Miis themselves as I have witnessed. There is a few ways to address Mii legality, but I have only listed one, which is the venue fee.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I think you're preaching to the choir over here in Competitive Discussion. It seems pretty clear to me that most us prefer and support at least default height/weight and any special combination.

There are many more Mii legality threads with even more information and suggestions on how to legalize the Miis, located on page 2 of the sub-forum. I encourage you to read through some of those (there's some good discussion in @Yikarur's thread in particular iirc), and bring all the information you gather + your own thoughts back to the GA Facebook group.

Last edited:

GeneralLedge

Smash Journeyman
Miis aren't banned because Helicopter Kick is broken, Miis are banned because the majority of TOs look to eachother for ruleset inspiration and are not friends with any local Mii players.

If tournament A is running 1111, tournament B is obligated to also run 1111, because they draw that parallel. Both tournaments are successful, therefore there is no obligation to change this rule.

Compounding this, TOs are likely to look to their local aka there-irl aka playing aka keeping-the-tournament-running group of players for inspiration on what is valid in their ruleset. Because many Mii players do not have incentive to participate without the ability to play their character, they lack the affinity for input. Those that do have to fight alone, against players and TOs wondering why they need those moves when they were 'using 1111 just fine' or 'able to cope with a different character'.

Many existing players afraid that their tournament will fall apart if a ruleset is changed from "perfect, like Tournament A is" to "not like tournament A is", are abrasive and/or abusive towards this input, and evoke their position as "a contender and therefore important" to tell their TO how full of crap the Mii player is for suggesting this ruleset.

This all is not out of fear for Mii Fighters as overwhelming characters. It can partly be considered, as many lack the MU knowledge and don't want to lose their #1 placement spot (nor learn, because they aren't good players, only good fakers); but this is genuinely a fear of fragility in Smash 4. Smash 4 might die if the tournament rules are bad, because Brawl died due to its ruleset having to jump through hoops. Or so the story they believe goes.

Is this a realistic concern? I don't know. It is a viable concern, but one rife with bullying and misinformation. Many people now argue how Bayo is Brawl Metaknight and how it will kill Smash 4. Before this, Mii Fighters were the 'Brawl Metaknight' of the ruleset analysis, in how overbearing and destructive their inclusion would be[citation needed]. After Bayo is inevitably nerfed, everything will go right back where it was before and nobody will learn or change a thing. We will hear about how 'banning Bayo didn't work' or how difficult it was to do something somewhere about something. Maybe something about how the manual said Miis have certain moves, conveniently excluding the bottom of another page where these moves are said to be customizable. It's important for a TO to look right, after all.

Tournament A will be praised for how good it was at preventing the end of the world, and Tournament B will continue to chase the spotlight. Because, we don't want our game to fail. That's more important than those who want to play it.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Sooo let me summarize your post :
-Helicopter kick is not broken
-Miis are not customs
-Customs aren't like Miis because they are "too grindy"
-It's Miis nature to be able to use different movesets

Everything that you have said has already been repeated for close to a year now by every Mii player and their mom (and GIMR).
You even forgot some good old classics like "it doesn't take that much time to create a Mii", "Palutena is different because you have to turn Customs On", or even the best seller "it's the developer's intention".

The problem is still the same as ever : there isn't a big anti Mii conspiracy, only individuals that organize tournaments and either
-do not care enough and end up going with the "default" ruleset,
-do not like Miis
-are fed up with Mii players repeating the same sentences for the past year.

Your introduction has proven one thing : TOs are humans who can change their minds, for the better or the worse. Treat them as such and talk to them instead of treating them like some big evil corporation that needs the pressure of the people to be taken down.

Stop making sterile threads on smashboards and go talk to your local scene. The only thing you'll get here is an echo chamber.

PS here's a list of the threads DanGR talked about :
http://smashboards.com/threads/the-impact-of-mii-rulings.429665
http://smashboards.com/threads/if-t...iis-which-size-should-be-the-standard.431826/
http://smashboards.com/threads/where-the-mii-fighters-stand-currently-rulings-genesis-3.424530
http://smashboards.com/threads/perh...rnament-mii-debate-optimal-golden-set.431996/
http://smashboards.com/threads/mii-fighters-legality-a-plea-to-the-smash-community.432788
http://smashboards.com/threads/mii-...-depth-look-at-the-mii-fighter-dilema.431842/
http://smashboards.com/threads/comp...haracter-should-be-allowed-custom-off.398225/
And my favorite
http://smashboards.com/threads/customs-dont-exist-now-what-the-heck-do-we-do-with-miis.432234/

Last edited:

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
If there's anything default I want it's default size. Happened to see a stream earlier tonight and thought to myself that Small Mii Brawler has too much power for something that is the size of Pikachu.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
If there's anything default I want it's default size. Happened to see a stream earlier tonight and thought to myself that Small Mii Brawler has too much power for something that is the size of Pikachu.
Yea, sizes are essentially equipment. You can't legitimately practice against all combinations of mii sizes/specials. Default size + any specials is fine. But there's just a huge difference between sizes. (Combos, what's safe on shield, mobility, etc)

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Yea, sizes are essentially equipment. You can't legitimately practice against all combinations of mii sizes/specials. Default size + any specials is fine. But there's just a huge difference between sizes. (Combos, what's safe on shield, mobility, etc)
We already have to learn about 60 matchups. What's 729 more? That's:

81 special move combinations
3 major sizes
3 Mii fighter types.

Top Bottom