• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Canadian Social Room: Explaination and Rules (READ BEFORE POSTING)

FastFox

Faster than most vehicles
BRoomer
Welcome to the new Canadian Social Room!

In case you're wondering what the heck is going on, SWF staff has decided to promote social discussion in a seperate room than the Canadian regional zone. The Canada Regional zone is designed to be an organized forum for local smashfests, local tournaments, organizing rides to major national tournaments, and Power Ranking discussion. Out of the dicussion spawned crew threads, state discussion threads that go off topic a lot, and social threads that don't belong on in the forums. So these threads have been getting locked and infractions have been given out for getting "off topic" and for spamming.

Now, you may be saying, "But these forums are considered to be a community, so why can't we take part in community discussions? If we're supposed to enjoy the forums, then why is it we're being infracted for simply enjoying them and being sociable?". This is something we've been hearing more and more every day, and it is also a very legitimate point. In response, we've created the Canadian Social Room for your complete and utter leisure. Make threads about what kind of music you like, your favorite sports teams, favorite video games, and even what you're currently reading. The choice is yours, User!

The Regional Social Rooms were created as an effort to keep the Regional Zones organized, as well as offer free discussion among members. Please keep any local smashfest discussion, tournament organization, power-ranking discussion, etc. inside the Canada board, and out of the Social Room.

You will notice that post count is off in this room, however it will still be moderated by your favorite Canadian moderators. So, please don't make 10 threads a minute just because you can, flame other members, or spam. Just because it's a social room doesn't mean it can't be organized.

Enjoy yourselves,

FastFox, Lanowen

PND

Smash Champion
Clarification please:
Wait, so if the Ottawa discussion thread (for example) starts talking about off topic stuff like a party of Street Fighter 4 or something in the thread. . . that's an infraction?

If so, congratulations, that is the worst idea I've ever heard. The reason I'm so active in the community is because of these regional boards, this may just completely stifle some of these communities, for what? Organization? Yeah right. As far as I've seen, the necessary info is always neatly presented and easy to locate, even WITH the off topic discussion going on. It's not difficult, it's not cluttered. It gives like to the scene and serves as a great welcoming hub for new players.

If you mean THREADS about spam will be deleted, then I can see the validity of this subforum and think it's a welcome addition.

But don't take away our right to chat. Not even AiB does that.

FastFox

BRoomer
The purpose of this room is to move all discussion threads away from the Regional Zone, which will then allow it to focus strictly on planned smash get-togethers, local tournaments, organized housing/rides, etc. In turn, this social room has been created to allow free-flow discussion about anything you want. Feel free to make another "area social thread", as long as it's in the Canada Social Room.

Lib3r4t3

Smash Ace
Most of what has seemed to happen was any community threads that potentially would go off topic to be put into the regional zone. Looking at my own home thread, the Thompson Okanagan BC thread, it's got tournament organization, smashfest organization, a power ranking, and no off topic discussion that I can recall within the close to 300 posts. That said, shouldn't that be in the regular Canada regional zone as opposed to the social zone? I'm sure this isn't the only thread that also has criteria for the regular Canada regional zone moreso than the Social zone.

Furthermore, since our thread coivers basically any of BC that isn't lower mainland or on vancouver island, we need to keep our thread easy to find to get them connected with us, since we do have people people joining our community at steady rates.

I can see how this could be an organizer for some of the more active forums, like Pacific West or one of the Atlantic boards epsecially, but I do not see any need for it for the Canadian boards, since we commonly do not need to look past the first page on the old Canada regional board to find any threads, unless it's inactive.

And as a final note, I thought the Canada thread was for the off topic discussion and to socialize with our fellow Canadians, so why do we need to redirect people to a new board, when we could redirect them to a thread where they could instantly continue their conversation, instead of just creating another thread.

FastFox

BRoomer
Most of what has seemed to happen was any community threads that potentially would go off topic to be put into the regional zone. Looking at my own home thread, the Thompson Okanagan BC thread, it's got tournament organization, smashfest organization, a power ranking, and no off topic discussion that I can recall within the close to 300 posts. That said, shouldn't that be in the regular Canada regional zone as opposed to the social zone? I'm sure this isn't the only thread that also has criteria for the regular Canada regional zone moreso than the Social zone.
Not really. The threads that were moved here were the main regional specific threads located around the CRZ, most of which often fell victim to off-topic discussion. Unless there's a thread made specifically listing power rankings, tournaments, smashfests, rides/housing, it all belongs in here now.

I hope you all know that it wasn't my choice to do something like this. I'm just a moderator.

Furthermore, since our thread coivers basically any of BC that isn't lower mainland or on vancouver island, we need to keep our thread easy to find to get them connected with us, since we do have people people joining our community at steady rates.
I'm sure that anyone who is looking for a thread will either find it on their own, or use the search function.

I can see how this could be an organizer for some of the more active forums, like Pacific West or one of the Atlantic boards epsecially, but I do not see any need for it for the Canadian boards, since we commonly do not need to look past the first page on the old Canada regional board to find any threads, unless it's inactive.
It wasn't as much an organizational tactic as it was an attempt to seperate the socializing from the actual perpose of the Canada Regional Zone (which is not a bunch of social threads).

And as a final note, I thought the Canada thread was for the off topic discussion and to socialize with our fellow Canadians, so why do we need to redirect people to a new board, when we could redirect them to a thread where they could instantly continue their conversation, instead of just creating another thread.
The Canada thread is in here, is it not? Nobody has said anything about a person not being able to continue their conversation because there is now a Social Room. That's ludicrous.

Randall00

Propitious Plumber
Slippi.gg
RJM#615
This is a characteristically strange and unnecessary SWF idea. Good thing for my subscriptions; I never would've been able to find anything.

Top Bottom