• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Can and Gimping

Diamond DHD

Smash Journeyman
Seriously though, when you get an opponent off the stage and send a can after them, most of the time they'll air dodge it, especially if you hit them with it once before. That's when you read the air dodge and go for an aerial gimp (bair and nair are probably the best option, fair and dair could be alright depending on opponent's recovery). A good player will probably find a work-around to this trick fairly quickly, so don't expect it to work for more than a couple of stocks, but against an intermediate player it's a fairly reliable KO option.

I've been using gunman in conjunction with the can with this trick too, for mix-ups, and sometimes using both at once if I get the opportunity, sometimes you can get a clay pigeon as well but due to how laggy it is I don't recommend it.

Honestly it's not much of a gimp since against characters with good recoveries chances are it won't work until around 100% at best, but it's DHD, I'm pretty sure 999% counts as a gimp with this character. Against a character with a poor recovery like Dr. Mario, Little Mac or Ganon, it's pretty good, but watch out since those characters, with the exception of Little Mac, have good options when it comes to taking you out when you go for the aerial (like ganoncide), so be careful and read the aerial dodge as well as possible.

Last edited:

Octagon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firefly62813
3DS FC
4768-7531-8428
Oh ok I getcha. See I would use the can and if the player was good they would airdodge but if not they;d just get hit with it and if it was a bad recovery character then that was the end of them. But now i'm gonna try to send a can and then go down to punish the airdodge. Duck Hunt has great recovery so it shouldn't be too much of a problem

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
I got a gimp actually with just the shot on the can hitting instead of the whole can. It stole my opponent's jump and they failed to recover because of it. If we could get that somewhat consistently, that would be pretty cool.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
Depends on DI and quality of character recovery, but a can hit in the air sends the opponent up. At lower percentages, I find myself helping them recover more than gimping. I find it better to use it as a scare tactic and using a gunman or going for a Bair.

Spirst

Something to keep in mind is that if you bair/sourspot dash attack a Can and send it offstage against someone trying to recover, you can more accurately follow them with the Can since it'll shoot towards the stage rather than the blastzone. This allows you to add more pressure to their recovery and potentially stage spike. However, if the Can hits them, they'll get sent flying towards the stage (which is how they get stage spiked) rather than to the blastzone. This can work to your advantage however if you use the Can to send them back to you then nair them away again. Be creative.

crashbfan

Banned via Warnings
NNID
3DS FC
6666-6666-6666
one of the best edgeguarding tools in the whole game. absolutely.

Octagon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firefly62813
3DS FC
4768-7531-8428
Something to keep in mind is that if you bair/sourspot dash attack a Can and send it offstage against someone trying to recover, you can more accurately follow them with the Can since it'll shoot towards the stage rather than the blastzone. This allows you to add more pressure to their recovery and potentially stage spike. However, if the Can hits them, they'll get sent flying towards the stage (which is how they get stage spiked) rather than to the blastzone. This can work to your advantage however if you use the Can to send them back to you then nair them away again. Be creative.
The creativity of the can makes me think that its not just duck hunts best move but one of the best moves in the game

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
One trick I have done was kick the can upwards as they come down and then do my forward smash. They'll usually eat one of them. I'm not sure for off stage, but thanks to the arch it does, it's likely something to at least throw them off their game. May also give you cover to go out and do an attack.

Octagon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firefly62813
3DS FC
4768-7531-8428
One trick I have done was kick the can upwards as they come down and then do my forward smash. They'll usually eat one of them. I'm not sure for off stage, but thanks to the arch it does, it's likely something to at least throw them off their game. May also give you cover to go out and do an attack.
That's why I love Duck Hunt. He's all about tricking your opponent

outfoxd

Smash Ace
NNID
outfoxd
At the tournament Saturday I learned Diddys vertical recovery is hilariously stopped dead by a well placed can. My best (only) moment.

Octagon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firefly62813
3DS FC
4768-7531-8428
At the tournament Saturday I learned Diddys vertical recovery is hilariously stopped dead by a well placed can. My best (only) moment.
Duck Hunt is the ultimate Diddy Kong counter!!!!

crashbfan

Banned via Warnings
NNID
3DS FC
6666-6666-6666
A little off-topic, but does anyone know if the gunman stops the banana peel? If so, I'd be willing to say DHD is a hard Diddy counter.
what do you mean by stop? destroy?

also diddy does seem to have a weakness against campers above all his other (nonexistent) weaknesses. diddy's too good to have a hard counter though, so I'd say DHD is like a soft counter to diddy.

Spirst

A little off-topic, but does anyone know if the gunman stops the banana peel? If so, I'd be willing to say DHD is a hard Diddy counter.
Yep, a thrown banana at a gunmen will get canceled out but the gunmen gets KOd unless it's the Mega Gunmen custom.

I feel pretty confident DH beats Diddy so that's a good MU to have. However, we lose to Sheik, another really popular character.

Octagon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firefly62813
3DS FC
4768-7531-8428
Yep, a thrown banana at a gunmen will get canceled out but the gunmen gets KOd unless it's the Mega Gunmen custom.

I feel pretty confident DH beats Diddy so that's a good MU to have. However, we lose to Sheik, another really popular character.
There has to be a way Duck Hunt can beat Shiek, we can't give up on Duck Hunt!

Top Bottom