• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Burning Digimon Dinosaur - Agumon for Smash - Digimon Survive 2020

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Namco needs to revive the Pokémon Digimon rivalry so the franchise can shoot back into the spotlight, to be honest. It’s been far too long.

Graizen

Smash Champion
Namco needs to revive the Pokémon Digimon rivalry so the franchise can shoot back into the spotlight, to be honest. It’s been far too long.
Some people on the Discussion topic aways say to me "You realy believe a Digimon have a chance do be in Smash?"

Hard to deal with, i need to stop posting about Agumon there

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Some people on the Discussion topic aways say to me "You realy believe a Digimon have a chance do be in Smash?"
Anybody saying that is being ridiculous.

It's a mega-franchise and very popular. Of course it has a chance to be in. Whether the chance is great or not is up to interpretation.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Sadly, this comic is a prescient, accurate summary of the Ultimate general:

View attachment 192711
Too true. A lot of echo chambers too. Gets really dumb and annoying sometimes. As well as some of the half-assed arguments to justify a character being a "lock" compared to "has a pretty good chance". Best example would be Isabelle. She was always likely, but there many valid arguments why she might not be in. In the end, the only real thing that made her possible was Villager being in first, due to the semi-clone thing. There was not enough time for her to be unique beyond that(and Sakurai did not make extra time for anyone either, so he wasn't going to delay it for her either, really. Not when he had a perfect representative in Villager for the game in general, who already was more than enough. Isabelle's a bonus, not a necessity, at this point), and even if she could be an Echo, it wouldn't matter unless Villager was there first. That pretty much sealed her being in, Villager being in first.

Being an all-star won't get you in. It'll get you considered. Her characterization made her an odd choice for a fighting game, but Amiibo Festival had an official personality of her being fine with competition, fixing that problem. It's not like her being in non-canon appearances could remotely matter anyway(lol at Mario Kart and Monster Hunter. They aren't her official personality. They aren't reasons why she should be in Smash. They don't represent her inherently at all. Only one game besides New Leaf did, and it was also an AC game. We even have her hammer from Amiibo Festival, showing its influence). So she was more of a lucky addition if you look at the information of how she could even get in.

Another is the foolish idea that Brave cannot mean anyone but Erdrick, using Jack as some elite example of it being Joker due to "one" thing. Pakkun Flower for Piranha Plant is another thing as well. Trying to interpret it as one possibility doesn't make sense. PP already was pretty much the literal name of the character, and that has nothing to do with the codename of Jack and how it relates to Joker(which there's 3 ways it can tie to Joker). Basically, for Brave, the important thing is that it should heavily relate to a character. Agumon, for instance, is the epitome of Brave. There's no stretch to say it could refer to him. Just like it could refer to a Dragon Quest character due to the Uuusha thing(did I spell that word right?). The only thing going for Erdrick is that he's heard among quite a few leakers, so he's more in the spotlight. Doesn't mean Brave can only somehow refer to DQ as is. I do think it might be a stretch to say it could mean any kind of person, like Banjo or Geno. It doesn't really relate to them at all.

To clarify for Jack, it could mean Jack Frost, Jack Playing Card, or Jack Of All Trades, which all reference the character Joker in some way. In a twist, it could also be someone entirely different that relates to it(one such case is, in a twist, Brian's official Japanese and Beta name as well, Jack. Of course, he's too obscure and there's no way he's getting in unless his series gets revived, and I don't think he'd get in even then, so he's off the table for what it could refer to due to common sense). But you could think of other names related to Jack. It just fits well for Joker enough that we can guess it refers to him. Though keep in mind we cannot confirm Joker and Jack are the same thing either. Just like we have no clue what Brave means.

Sorry for the rant, but needed to get it off my chest.

Now as for Agumon, one point to bring up is that while Brave could easily refer to him(and it makes a lot of sense), one wonders why the other slots don't have anything in them. Agumon will have Digivolutions, and each one would have its own character slot(just like unique costumes do, as well as every playable character, and obviously any NPC that is treated like a character, I.E. Master Hand). A theory I don't hold much is that Brave was removed because more work was done involving other slots. I will note, however, that even Brave is a general DQ Hero, every costume could be highly unique and have their own character slot too. This would explain its removal, for the same reason as why removing it so they can work on the Digivolutions without leaking it. Of course, I more believe it was removed because people datamined it and spread the information like wildfire.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It's spelled "Yuusha". Close enough, though.

I will say I'm fairly content with the AC characters we have even if Resetti doesn't get in. Like ProfessorFandango once said, the series did need the "Animal" part of it playable in Smash, which Villager isn't. Plus other series need additional characters more anyway, so at least we got AC out of the way.

Interesting theory in regards to how Agumon would fill up the ID slots though, seems legit.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Eh, it really didn't need more than Villager. Anything else is a bonus. Those characters are fine through things like Stage Cameos and such. The thing about the series is you, the player, having all kind of various options. That's what the key focus of the moveset is. Though yeah, it was Villager first or nothing, since there wasn't honestly anybody else who could properly represent the gameplay of the series alone. It's the player character. They are the key thing. You could replace Isabelle with any other villager or Tom Nook and get the same result. A bonus character that is fun, but doesn't bring anything particularly new to the AC representation part. The fact we don't have a good replacement for Isabelle's AT is even worse. The idea of giving out items is a really important part of AC, and she represented the series really well by doing that. At least K. K. Slider's thing is a strong part of the series and does it well. Tom Nook would've been a reasonable AT to throw in there in place of Isabelle, that said. Or Timmy and Tommy(either one could come out). The only one we have is kind of... eh. Traveling around like that isn't the biggest focus to anywhere near the same degree and just kind of feels forced instead.

But yeah, the thing about the slots is they're meant for transformations or alternate unique costumes. For instance, Alph and Male Inkling would take up a slot. So does stuff like Construction Mario. So it would make sense that Brave might use more than one slot(which could mean good things for Agumon or Erdrick with alternate Hero costumes, including Female Erdrick). Though as I said, I doubt Brave was removed for the sole sake of "we are using more slots now, so let's not give any hints". It's slightly possible, but them finding out about the datamine is far more likely why they removed Brave and Jack. Speaking of, makes me wonder if Jack might have more alternate costumes? I think Cloud has two slots, regular and Advent Children.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Honestly not sure if the pass characters would have enough alts to fit 29 slots, that seems a little crazy, even if Joker and Brave have a ton of them.
Definitely won't. However, keep in mind we could still get some extra Echoes. PP already takes two slots on its own, after all. They're just placeholders for just about anything. For instance, if they decide to add a new costume to a character and cut one, they're prepared.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Definitely won't. However, keep in mind we could still get some extra Echoes. PP already takes two slots on its own, after all. They're just placeholders for just about anything. For instance, if they decide to add a new costume to a character and cut one, they're prepared.
Here's to hoping, I still have a hard time believing that Bamco doesn't seize the perfect opportunity of giving Ms. Pac-Man as an Echo to Pac-Man.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Here's to hoping, I still have a hard time believing that Bamco doesn't seize the perfect opportunity of giving Ms. Pac-Man as an Echo to Pac-Man.
Well, Bandai-Namco doesn't choose who gets in. If Sakurai didn't want the character, it wouldn't matter. The third party echoes also seem to have a very strict purpose, which would explain why we have only two. Ken is the "original echo", while Richter and Simon had fused movesets. So it might be important that they have something other than "just because".

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well, Bandai-Namco doesn't choose who gets in. If Sakurai didn't want the character, it wouldn't matter. The third party echoes also seem to have a very strict purpose, which would explain why we have only two. Ken is the "original echo", while Richter and Simon had fused movesets. So it might be important that they have something other than "just because".
Well, Ms. Pac-Man is known as one of the very first female video game icons in history, so she has that going for her. Besides, it's bleeding weird how her background stage cameo hasn't even been acknowledged via a spirit at all.

That Sak and company pass over her, I understand, though it's really strange how so far no one new from Bamco has been picked. Are Sak and crew not able to find anyone in there that would bring something interesting and can work?

I sincerely hope I'm proven wrong in the future.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Well, Ms. Pac-Man is known as one of the very first female video game icons in history, so she has that going for her. Besides, it's bleeding weird how her background stage cameo hasn't even been acknowledged via a spirit at all.

That Sak and company pass over her, I understand, though it's really strange how so far no one new from Bamco has been picked. Are Sak and crew not able to find anyone in there that would bring something interesting and can work?

I sincerely hope I'm proven wrong in the future.
Sakurai did say he won't be playing favorites by giving Bamco extra attention. So who knows.

I'm pretty sure Namco fully owns Ms. Pac-Man now, so that's not an issue either. Though to be fair on Spirits, Sakurai's crew selected them all(and I think worked on many of the ideas related to it), so the fact she's not on there, it's more the crew having other ideas. I mean, they kept tongue-in-cheek jokes, like Ness' Father being... a phone.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Sakurai did say he won't be playing favorites by giving Bamco extra attention. So who knows.

I'm pretty sure Namco fully owns Ms. Pac-Man now, so that's not an issue either. Though to be fair on Spirits, Sakurai's crew selected them all(and I think worked on many of the ideas related to it), so the fact she's not on there, it's more the crew having other ideas. I mean, they kept tongue-in-cheek jokes, like Ness' Father being... a phone.
In any case, I fully blame them for completely passing over the paint-related Kirby characters, when we have a perfectly good character for this purpose. :ultinkling:

That said, the Bamco fans better not be extremely ungrateful if nothing happens again, we already have Joker fans getting antsy over the possibility of him not coming with extra doodads,

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Eh, it really didn't need more than Villager. Anything else is a bonus. Those characters are fine through things like Stage Cameos and such. The thing about the series is you, the player, having all kind of various options. That's what the key focus of the moveset is. Though yeah, it was Villager first or nothing, since there wasn't honestly anybody else who could properly represent the gameplay of the series alone. It's the player character. They are the key thing. You could replace Isabelle with any other villager or Tom Nook and get the same result. A bonus character that is fun, but doesn't bring anything particularly new to the AC representation part. The fact we don't have a good replacement for Isabelle's AT is even worse. The idea of giving out items is a really important part of AC, and she represented the series really well by doing that. At least K. K. Slider's thing is a strong part of the series and does it well. Tom Nook would've been a reasonable AT to throw in there in place of Isabelle, that said. Or Timmy and Tommy(either one could come out). The only one we have is kind of... eh. Traveling around like that isn't the biggest focus to anywhere near the same degree and just kind of feels forced instead.
well the way i see it you can have characters use similar things but use them differently, like all the sword fighters we have so the idea that because a character works the same in the base game theyll play the same in smash just seems like faulty reasoning to me

also k'appn is a representation of himself not the series as a whole and travelling has been reasonably important to the series since they introduced multiplayer

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
well the way i see it you can have characters use similar things but use them differently, like all the sword fighters we have so the idea that because a character works the same in the base game theyll play the same in smash just seems like faulty reasoning to me

also k'appn is a representation of himself not the series as a whole and travelling has been reasonably important to the series since they introduced multiplayer
Villagers giving you items is honestly a lot more important, as it's kind of a key focus of the gameplay. Regardless, Isabelle doesn't legitimately bring anything of note beyond being notable herself and the Fishing Rod. So... really the only thing we got that helps represent the series was the missing Rod. That's kind of it.

We should've had another AC character to replace Isabelle's role. Likewise, Mr. Resetti should've returned, since that's also a very notable thing in the game. But getting items from Villagers is still super important in itself. Also, that's kind of the point of what every AT has done so far for AC. They've represented an aspect of the game in itself. None should be ignored overall. I wish the game wasn't essentially rushed to get out(3 years was not enough) so we'd have a better AT setup.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Villagers giving you items is honestly a lot more important, as it's kind of a key focus of the gameplay. Regardless, Isabelle doesn't legitimately bring anything of note beyond being notable herself and the Fishing Rod. So... really the only thing we got that helps represent the series was the missing Rod. That's kind of it.

We should've had another AC character to replace Isabelle's role. Likewise, Mr. Resetti should've returned, since that's also a very notable thing in the game. But getting items from Villagers is still super important in itself. Also, that's kind of the point of what every AT has done so far for AC. They've represented an aspect of the game in itself. None should be ignored overall. I wish the game wasn't essentially rushed to get out(3 years was not enough) so we'd have a better AT setup.
like i said characters are representatives of their selves first and their series second, isablle's assist trophy role wasnt just about the series giving out items but about the fact that shes your main support as mayor so she has a supporting role as an assist trophy

The lack of news about Digimon Survive is bothering me a lot.
im sure we'll have something before you know it

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
like i said characters are representatives of their selves first and their series second, isablle's assist trophy role wasnt just about the series giving out items but about the fact that shes your main support as mayor so she has a supporting role as an assist trophy
Eh, I wouldn't say they're honestly representatives of themselves first at all. When choosing a character, what they do and what series they're from is very important too. Their skills show off what's possible in their game. This also applies to many characters. Ness isn't just himself, but a huge representation of EarthBound's Psi abilities. He's designed with that in mind. Isabelle doesn't just feel like herself is the important thing. It's her role moreso than just who is playing the role. Anyone can play the role easily, she's just the latest hottest thing, so she's a good choice for it. It's not like with Resetti who only can represent that particular role(which is giving players grief about resetting), and there's more than one character who can help people travel outside of Kapp'n. He's just one of the latest ones to do so, and is used more often due to Island in New Leaf. Their role is really really important. Without that particular role, they wouldn't make worthwhile AT's. So how they represent the series is a key factor. Not all the time, but definitely applies for all 3 Animal Crossing AT's. If Isabelle was just a highly popular character, but didn't have a role of assisting the player and giving out stuff, she wouldn't fit that AT position whatsoever. You'd choose a character who has that role to represent the series. Related, but nobody does what she does exactly, so there's no good way to represent that part of the series. Thus, Isabelle's AT role wasn't given to anyone else.

...That said, Smash actually has had exactly 1 AT per game(Smash 4 being "one" game in a sense), with no repeats. Kind of funny that.

The lack of news about Digimon Survive is bothering me a lot.
inb4usedaspromotion

Graizen

Smash Champion
Eh, I wouldn't say they're honestly representatives of themselves first at all. When choosing a character, what they do and what series they're from is very important too. Their skills show off what's possible in their game. This also applies to many characters. Ness isn't just himself, but a huge representation of EarthBound's Psi abilities. He's designed with that in mind. Isabelle doesn't just feel like herself is the important thing. It's her role moreso than just who is playing the role. Anyone can play the role easily, she's just the latest hottest thing, so she's a good choice for it. It's not like with Resetti who only can represent that particular role(which is giving players grief about resetting), and there's more than one character who can help people travel outside of Kapp'n. He's just one of the latest ones to do so, and is used more often due to Island in New Leaf. Their role is really really important. Without that particular role, they wouldn't make worthwhile AT's. So how they represent the series is a key factor. Not all the time, but definitely applies for all 3 Animal Crossing AT's. If Isabelle was just a highly popular character, but didn't have a role of assisting the player and giving out stuff, she wouldn't fit that AT position whatsoever. You'd choose a character who has that role to represent the series. Related, but nobody does what she does exactly, so there's no good way to represent that part of the series. Thus, Isabelle's AT role wasn't given to anyone else.

...That said, Smash actually has had exactly 1 AT per game(Smash 4 being "one" game in a sense), with no repeats. Kind of funny that.

inb4usedaspromotion
You think so?
They could use it, but my problem is that they never give big atention to Digimon Games.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
You think so?
They could use it, but my problem is that they never give big atention to Digimon Games.
It might be because the anime overshadows the games a lot. Though you can blame the immensely good music and Digivolution sounds/effects(both Japanese and English). For the same reason, I honestly think Agumon will have anime references if he gets in. He's extremely well known there. It's also one of the best ways to do the Digivolutions, though as I said before, using the Egg Evolution animations would be faster for transitioning, since it also allows for less necessary animations too. You don't need to change limbs to other limbs. You just need to have the Egg surround Agumon, it grow in size, then Greymon(etc.) pop out after. I'm guessing this was also done for Tri to make animation more smooth.

Graizen

Smash Champion
It might be because the anime overshadows the games a lot. Though you can blame the immensely good music and Digivolution sounds/effects(both Japanese and English). For the same reason, I honestly think Agumon will have anime references if he gets in. He's extremely well known there. It's also one of the best ways to do the Digivolutions, though as I said before, using the Egg Evolution animations would be faster for transitioning, since it also allows for less necessary animations too. You don't need to change limbs to other limbs. You just need to have the Egg surround Agumon, it grow in size, then Greymon(etc.) pop out after. I'm guessing this was also done for Tri to make animation more smooth.
Look at this video:

At the start you will see Agumon evolve in to ShineGreymon using the "Egg Animation"

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

so what this all boils down to is that you don't like k'appn, btw k'appn has been helping players travel since the first game and it might just be you man cause i think isabelle feels like isabelle, she's happy and she uses items shes been showing using in the games and yes its true that just about any ac character could of had her moveset (one of the many reasons why we all assumed shed be an echo) but thats just how the games work honestly i fail to see why your so upset about her assist trophy role not being attached to someone else we lose assist characters all the time and they dont get their role passed on to someone else

apologies to Graizen Graizen for continued off topicness

ZTurtle

Smash Journeyman
Look at this video:

At the start you will see Agumon evolve in to ShineGreymon using the "Egg Animation"
Ah, good ol' GeoGrey Sword, always getting itself destroyed in the heat of battle, haha.

Real talk though, this is kinda off topic but man, I've forgotten how beautiful the animation in this movie was. Not quite as fluid as the Adventure movies, but it's so clean and detailed, with the shading and colors creating such a cool atmosphere. ShineGreymon vs Argomon there was just some good ol' Kaiju action. Man, I miss Savers. I can see why it didn't jive well with a lot of fans, but I still think it's one of the most underrated seasons of Digimon.

I know that it might be kinda weird, but I would love it if Savers Agumon was an Alternate costume for Agumon; or at the very least that Agumon could have a light yellow alt where he wears the training gauntlets of Savers Agumon. It would still make sense even if Agumon digivolved into classic Greymon and/or Wargreymon in his moveset, since Savers variant of Agumon has been shown to be able to evolve into those forms in a few games and such.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Sadly, the Klonoa movie was cancelled, which essentially means that Klonoa no longer has any chance of becoming playable. It's either Agumon or Lloyd Irving now in terms of a 2nd Namco Bandai rep, which I think will most likely happen.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Sadly, the Klonoa movie was cancelled, which essentially means that Klonoa no longer has any chance of becoming playable. It's either Agumon or Lloyd Irving now in terms of a 2nd Namco Bandai rep, which I think will most likely happen.
Assuming we even get any new Bamco characters at all. Tales Of has the same issue FE has: revolving protags.

Heck, Sak probably won't give the company any favoritism until the other third parties have enough characters.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Assuming we even get any new Bamco characters at all. Tales Of has the same issue FE has: revolving protags.

Heck, Sak probably won't give the company any favoritism until the other third parties have enough characters.
Assuming that SE gets another rep, NB will be stuck with only 1 character while Konami, Sega, and Capcom get 3 and SE gets 2.

Graizen

Smash Champion
Assuming that SE gets another rep, NB will be stuck with only 1 character while Konami, Sega, and Capcom get 3 and SE gets 2.

Ah, good ol' GeoGrey Sword, always getting itself destroyed in the heat of battle, haha.

Real talk though, this is kinda off topic but man, I've forgotten how beautiful the animation in this movie was. Not quite as fluid as the Adventure movies, but it's so clean and detailed, with the shading and colors creating such a cool atmosphere. ShineGreymon vs Argomon there was just some good ol' Kaiju action. Man, I miss Savers. I can see why it didn't jive well with a lot of fans, but I still think it's one of the most underrated seasons of Digimon.

I know that it might be kinda weird, but I would love it if Savers Agumon was an Alternate costume for Agumon; or at the very least that Agumon could have a light yellow alt where he wears the training gauntlets of Savers Agumon. It would still make sense even if Agumon digivolved into classic Greymon and/or Wargreymon in his moveset, since Savers variant of Agumon has been shown to be able to evolve into those forms in a few games and such.
Is this Digimon or Pacific Rim?
so what this all boils down to is that you don't like k'appn, btw k'appn has been helping players travel since the first game and it might just be you man cause i think isabelle feels like isabelle, she's happy and she uses items shes been showing using in the games and yes its true that just about any ac character could of had her moveset (one of the many reasons why we all assumed shed be an echo) but thats just how the games work honestly i fail to see why your so upset about her assist trophy role not being attached to someone else we lose assist characters all the time and they dont get their role passed on to someone else

apologies to Graizen Graizen for continued off topicness
Why are you bringing people who have no part in this thread and clearly don't want to be here into it?
Agumon's chances are pretty decent I'd say, ya just gotta believe #Agu-gang
Um....

Did your DMs escape? :yoshi:
What you guys think about this: http://boards.4channel.org/v/thread/451292168

I don't know what "json file" is, if someone can explain it to me.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
What you guys think about this: http://boards.4channel.org/v/thread/451292168

I don't know what "json file" is, if someone can explain it to me.
I don't know what the json file is myself(I know it's a website file). That said, Crono and Chrono are both correct spellings of the character in question.

What this looks like is they found the files via the website and applied them there. I honestly highly doubt some of it. I mean, it's a good list, yeah, but while I'd love a Touhou character in, it's quite well known that its creator is severely picky about the character usage... unless it's fan stuff. He rarely lets anyone use the IP to make actual money. Though I admit the list definitely fits the "unexpected" part enough

Top Bottom