• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Big Split

CrankyBomb

Smash Rookie
I've been playing Melee competitively for over two years and I can agree, it's an absolutely fantastic game. Its speed, precision, and technicality make it a great experience. But I also love Brawl and 64. Brawl is more reliant on reads and mind games rather than tech skill. It's still a very competitive game, it just has a different, more defensive fighting system. I used to think that Melee was superior to Brawl but now I've realized that getting gigantic 10 piece combos doesn't make Melee better than Brawl. Whether you like Brawl or Melee doesn't depend on whether or not you are a casual, it depends on fighting preference. And if you're like me you love Smash as a whole. If you don't believe me, just ask Mew2King, he loves Brawl and Melee. Most Brawl hate is biased and unfair. 64 is great too, the reason people love it is because having tech skill is the hardest to do in that iteration. For example, there are less frames to L-Cancel and the controls are very difficult to master in that version. Overall, whichever game in the series you like the most, it comes down to preference.

Roukiske

Smash Journeyman
Okay... that's cool and everything, but uh... that is basically what a split is. Just play the game(s) you like and don't let anyone else tell you otherwise because it's your fun and not theirs. Also, be a nice person :]

kingPiano

Smash Ace
Yea when it comes to Brawl Mew2King just likes the money and winning, but don't know where you got the misinformed idea that he actually likes the game.

He noticed early that Metaknght was a broken unbalanced character who far exceeded the rest of the characters and capitalized on it.

Last edited:

bearsfan092

Smash Journeyman
Brawl is more reliant on reads and mind games rather than tech skill..
I really don't understand why people keep retreating to this statement because this is only true at really low levels of play. Every Smash game relies on mindgames. Every fighting game and nearly every competitive game relies on mindgames. Once you have the tech down, unless there's a huge disparity in skill, it's all about the thought process.

Last edited:

Vorde

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Vorde
3DS FC
4613-7807-1976
Don't really know why this was posted in Melee Discussion... If you like those games, go play them :)

bearsfan092

Smash Journeyman
I would go so far and remove the conditional "unless" statement. If you have the tech skill down, what is that "huge disparity in skill" coming from, if not the "thought process"? ;)
Depends on what you include in that thought process. Since they were talking about Brawl footsies, I was thinking about the punish game. There's definitely a tech level beyond "I understand all the tech skill I need to do what I need in neutral" where it's like "okay now I need to do this quick link to extend this combo". Differences in punish game between players probably plays a bigger role for most match outcomes anyway.

CrankyBomb

Smash Rookie
I didn't say Melee is less reliant on reads and minds games, I'm just saying that Brawl is reliant on reads and mind games because it doesn't have as much technicality. Sure is has B-Reversals, dash attack into up air with Falco, and cape gliding, but Melee has Wavedashing, L-canceling. and many more than Brawl.

Xyzz

Smash Champion
Depends on what you include in that thought process. Since they were talking about Brawl footsies, I was thinking about the punish game. There's definitely a tech level beyond "I understand all the tech skill I need to do what I need in neutral" where it's like "okay now I need to do this quick link to extend this combo". Differences in punish game between players probably plays a bigger role for most match outcomes anyway.
I could of course claim that punishes are totally about quickly thinking about your options and the DI your opponent, but to be honest I didn't think about that at all, and will readily agree with you ;)

Cool

Smash Journeyman
M2K doesn't like Brawl lmao. Brawl is designed to prevent competitive play.

But I agree that there is a split and that you should play whatever you want.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Yea when it comes to Brawl Mew2King just likes the money and winning, but don't know where you got the misinformed idea that he actually likes the game.

He noticed early that Metaknght was a broken unbalanced character who far exceeded the rest of the characters and capitalized on it.
He went for D3 first then switched when it was clear someone else was way better.

But yeah, he eventually thought Brawl got boring to him over time.

Still w/e, just let people like what they do if they like that style.

Just don't end up like Smash reddit when WiiU got announced for Evo before Melee did and we're good a a community.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Smash 4 is more boring than Brawl imo, but I don't really find Brawl boring. Smash 4 is very hit-and-miss for me.
Brawl is better than smash 4, although I still really hate tripping.

The thing is I love brawl because PM exists lol. Brawl also has much better looking graphics than smash 4. Smash 4 is just WAYYY too cartoony like it was designed by a 6 year old on lsd.

Smash 64 is the best! *trollface*

Smash 64 : "You only did a 27 hit combo? Scrub"

Melee : "HOLY **** 4 hits in a row!!"

Smash 64. The only fighting game with customizable ULTRA combos lolol.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
[quote="Dylan_Tnga, post: 19193139, member: 57557"The thing is I love brawl because PM exists lol. Brawl also has much better looking graphics than smash 4. Smash 4 is just WAYYY too cartoony like it was designed by a 6 year old on lsd.[/quote]

This is a first, even most PM and Melee players hated Brawl's textures for being too muddy or whatever you want to call it. If anything that is one aspect people who even don't like the game seem to like about it.

Very interesting here.

kingPiano

Smash Ace
"The thing is I love brawl because PM exists lol. Brawl also has much better looking graphics than smash 4. Smash 4 is just WAYYY too cartoony like it was designed by a 6 year old on lsd."

This is a first, even most PM and Melee players hated Brawl's textures for being too muddy or whatever you want to call it. If anything that is one aspect people who even don't like the game seem to like about it.

Very interesting here.
I actually quite like Brawl's overall design more than Sm4sh as well, especially the stages. The only character model I can't stand is Ganon, he moves like he has a hot poker up his bum and he is very cartoonish looking.

Really though I think most of it has to do with how they animated impacts and hitlag/hitstun in Sm4sh. Melee seems like the most visceral and realistic in those aspects and Nintendo seems to have intentionally toned it down to make it more kid friendly and fictional looking.

Last edited:

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
I actually quite like Brawl's overall design more than Sm4sh as well, especially the stages. The only character model I can't stand is Ganon, he moves like he has a hot poker up his bum and he is very cartoonish looking.

Really though I think most of it has to do with how they animated impacts and hitlag/hitstun in Sm4sh. Melee seems like the most visceral and realistic in those aspects and Nintendo seems to have intentionally toned it down to make it more kid friendly and fictional looking.
Bingo.

Remember how Monopoly had a kids version? Where instead of passing go and getting $200.00 you passed go and got an allowance of $2.00 and the properties were candy stores and ferris wheels and stuff?

That's what smash 4 is. It's the "ages 3 and up" version of smash. It doesn't have much of a future, I'd be surprised if it lasts longer than brawl did.

Top Bottom