• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Best Way to Work on Spacing?

X0dus

Smash Apprentice
I want to get better at spacing my attacks for certain match ups like against Floaties and sword characters or just to extend combos. So how do you guys practice spacing?

Tha_Shogun_12

Smash Journeyman
Against opponents I find that short hopping NAir's and Quick draws can push or pull your spacing, rather it be quick drawing away/towards your opponent and jumping out of it or wave dashing. I've found most opponents want to be on the aggression against Ike so well placed NAir's are your best bet for either closing that gap. Also Jabs and Jab delayed combos for really close opponents.

Just remember, when you hit them with Ike, you no longer have to space as he is a momentum builder and his sheer range/hit stun alone makes it like every hit with him is like +100000 frame advantage, so get get in there and continue your combo or string.

I hope this helps. :)

Cuccu Maestro

Smash Cadet
Shield stopping is fairly easy and Ike gets huge use out of it. During your initial dash you can shield to stop and lose all momentum, and then if you buffer a jump with the cstick you can jump straight up or jump backwards while still facing your opponent (instead of only being able to jump towards your opponent, and being punishable, if you didn't shield) and from there you can quickly stick forwards to fair at a range that can't get beaten out of shield.
It sounds more complicated than it is, c stick technique for shield stop aerials makes it so easy.

Jake The Preacher

The Amateur Preacher
So spacing with Ike is actually kinda interesting because how his tipper/not tipper works. I'm sure you guys know it but I'll explain it anyways, if you hit a tipper with Ike it does less damage but sends at a shallow angle like you wanna gimp someone. If you hit anywhere else it's a stronger hit with more knockback without the shallow angle. So really spacing, to me, is all dependent on the situation that you're in. But general spacing I think should be to keep them to where they can't hit you but you can hit them. Try zoning em out with Ftilt's or Fair's since they reach pretty far. Maybe just read potential this or that's and try stuffing them out with those moves maybe?

Top Bottom