• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The best secondary for Mario

mallu000

Smash Cadet
I was thinking about Mario's worst matchups and characters that I just hate to play against like Marth, Sheik or Peach and I was wondering what do you guys think would be the best character to support a Mario main? I mean generally and according to your personal preferences like I don't mind playing against spacies with Mario even though Falco and Fox are quite bad MUs. Or do think it would better just to practice more and more with Mario to narrow the gap in the worst matchups?

Personally I've found Ganondorf quite useful especially against Peach, Marth, Icies and maybe even against Fox. Marth is propably the most frustrating and annoying matchup and using Ganon helps me a lot. Other characters that I've been enjoying at least a bit are Marth, Jiggly and Falcon but I'm not sure if anyone of those will really help me as a secondary.

Sorry for my formal/ school book english but it's the only one I know. :p I have used english something like twice irl.

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
Sheik and Falcon are good vs Marth
Fox and Falcon are good vs Peach
Jigglypuff and Fox are good vs Sheik

I think you should just try to make it work with Mario though =P Maybe pick Doc vs Jiggs, Peach, and Samus for the extra killing power

nice english btw =)

n0ne

Smash Ace
um... personally i dont think Mario is that bad against spacies. He has some pretty good gimps against them.
But anyways. U could use Dorf or Falcon because they use kind of the same playstyle as Mario.
Or start using Fox to train your fingers to be quicker and then with mario u will get wavelands down to combinations and u will **** more.

M@1funk$hun

Smash Ace
I think ganon or marth would be the best vs. anyone other than spacies
I agree with n0ne that mario does surprisingly well against them
I have trouble with falco personally, but that's because everyone plays him
everyone

Fuzzyness

The Reality!
fox is the best 2ndairy imo in terms of matchups

falco would be fine though, peach looks very attractive too because like mario she doesnt have to worry about being tech chased and missing techs very oftern

M@1funk$hun

Smash Ace
fox is a good secondary for just about everybody in my opinion because he can really delve into any playstyle he wants. which in turn means any matchup

n0ne

Smash Ace
nah bro. Im in Nicaragua. I might go to Toronto again this year but thatll be till like december i think. I envy everyone in North America sooo much. No big tournies over here.

n0ne

Smash Ace
nah... we make our smashfests/drinkfests combined... but at pro/high level, we are like 7-10 people. the rest are kind of noobs (Hence, Barfl). People here dont know much english, only myself (i grew up in Toronto) . But as mario, im the only mario around here. (Bunch of Dr`s, but Dr. isnt as technical as plumber). And too smash-ies.

People around here only use Falcon, Ganon, Marth.

But play level is pretty good `round here. We`re real effective. Problem is, with Plumber sometimes you got no choice than to trade damage (cause Mario has maybe NO safe move to use safely).

But i really have to emphasize, Mario is really SAFER to use kind of like how i use him in my vids
(playing backwards, bairing alot, fairing when safe).

Chaingrabs IS NOT all there is to his metagame. Most of the time, people DO NOT know how to fight a good/decent Mario. His weight is pretty weird.

j3ly

Smash Champion
i'd say that FH FF dair with an auto cancel into utilt/usmash is one of the safest options in the game. excellent against people that just want to throw out tilts and play lame seeing as it beats everything (except WD back fsmash)

n0ne

Smash Ace
.. nice one j3ly. I did not know about that one.
hey, how about telling us about that teleport thing you mentioned sometime back

j3ly

Smash Champion
hell no :p

tesco crew exclusive. plus i might need to master it as it directly and soulfully counters a shiek who just wants to throw needles.

i do however guarantee you have done it before, and if ur looking out for it you will realise when it happens.

M@1funk$hun

Smash Ace
sheik who throws needles?
the way you're saying it, it kind of sounds like pikachu's Up-B "teleport" where if he hits an attack of equal priority, he goes sliding across the stage.

mallu000

Smash Cadet
I've been using Fox lately and it seems like the right choice at least against Marth but I have to play more against real people rather than CPUs to test it. In Finland I don't think it's as hard to cope with Mario compared to like U.S.A. Our level is not same though it's pretty good for little country like us. If I'm not mistaken playing PAL version helps too when using middle/low tier chars(?)

Thanks for the answers anyway. Keep Mario alive!

j3ly

Smash Champion
PAL helps vs shiek and fox only - they both kill like 20% earlier in NTSC. on the other hand it is easier to cape foxes recovery and marth is much much much much much much much easier to combo in NTSC, despite having the dair spike

i also think having stage selection set to random massaivly assists fox + shiek vs mario, but that doesnt apply in Europe cos we use stage striking

mango can do it so it can be done - thats all the proof that is neccessary.

also if you refer to the multiverse theory - there is a mario player in existence who would JV98 stock both mango and armada on a team against him. JV 98 stock them both with NOTHING BUT JABS so keep that in mind if u begin to doubt the plumber

ntsc shiek is marios worst MU
pal marth is worst MU followed by shiek then peach then falco then fox. swap fox and falco if the fox is super campy

thank god for chain grabs - learn them if you want to do good. ive been saved in a few sets by CPing FD and getting 2 full stocks by chaingrabbing - it can be done on fox nd falco from 0-80 into fsmash, and shiek 0-60(?) into fsmash also.

tis a vital part of mario's gay game - a portion of the game he is severly lacking in

Top Bottom