• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Best in the Galaxy: Samurai Goroh for SSB4 - Confirmed for Assist Trophy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
UPDATE: N3ON's support banner for Goroh has been added to the OP. Now go thank her, for Goroh's sake, as he now has his own banner for his departure to the battlefield. :D

D

Deleted member

This thread needs reviving. Some new thoughts on Goroh:
My "gut character" would be Samurai Goroh.

Samurai Goroh is one of those characters who isn't exactly likely to get in Smash 4, but I do feel as he is plausible enough to be in. I also feel as we'll be getting at least one C-rank character (in likelihood) in Smash 4.
I like to classify characters I could see getting in in three categories; A, B and C. A being additions I expect and would be surprised to be not see, B being less likely but still feel have good chances and C characters being ones that I don't expect to be in, but still feel could make it in. Take mine for example:

[COLLAPSE="A Class"]King K. Rool
Ridley
Mewtwo
Palutena
Takamaru
Little Mac[/COLLAPSE][COLLAPSE="B Class"]Toad
Dixie Kong
Roy
Mach Rider
Isaac
Shulk
Mega Man[/COLLAPSE][COLLAPSE="C Class"]Bowser Jr.
Ghirahim
Krystal
Samurai Goroh
Chrom
Saki Amamiya
Professor Layton[/COLLAPSE]You don't have to read the collapse below to understand my gut feeling about Goroh, but the collapse does tie in to Goroh.

[COLLAPSE="Said a lot more than I though I would"]If I had to predict a certain number, I'd say fifty-three. Of course I expect everyone from the A class to make it. The really interesting stuff comes with the B and C class characters.

B class characters I feel have the best chance are Dixie Kong and Shulk and I don't see them out of the roster for this game. Toad I would say is the least likely of the B class due to the possibility that Sakurai may not see him as fighting material, but I do feel as we'll get a Mario rep and I think Sakurai would pick Toad over anyone else. Roy has a good chance as well, although less so due to Chrom, but I still think he has the upper hand, so its hard to see him outside of the roster as well. Mach Rider's chances depends on if we get a 2nd retro rep and I have a hard time seeing us not getting a 2nd retro character (not to mention I don't think any other retro characters will get in aside from of course Takamaru). That leaves Isaac and Mega Man.

I think we'll be seeing three misc. series. One of them is Punch-Out!! and another is Xenoblade. The third one I feel will be between Isaac and Saki. Right now, I'm guessing Isaac mainly because his series is bigger than Saki and he is much more popular than Saki, but Saki has the advantage of Sakurai's interest in him and that could be enough to have Sakurai choose Saki over Isaac (especially since I doubt we'll be getting more than three misc. series). As for Mega Man, I support his inclusion above anyone else, even that of Mewtwo and I firmly believe that he is the most likely third-party character to show up (if we get a new one). Yet I'm starting to get a bad gut feeling about him (and a bad gut feeling about :urg:Pac-Man :urg: getting in), especially since I don't think Mega Man will get another shot at Smash Bros and I feel as if he's not the third-party (assuming we get one) revealed at E3 2013 that he won't get in. For now, I'm just hoping this gut feeling doesn't come true. So while I do feel as Isaac and Mega Man still have pretty good chances, they're the exchangeable characters.

The C class makes up the remaining characters I feel could get in. I think we could see anywhere from one to four of these character get in. I've already covered Saki, so there's that, so lets see the rest of them offer.

Bowser Jr. has the advantage of being an important part of the Mario series as well as being more accessible as a potential clone, which could help in making him a last-minute clone if Sakurai wants one. However, my gut feeling seriously doubts him or any other Mario character not named Toad.

Krystal is in if we get a 4th Star Fox rep. Sakurai is going to be looking at pre-Brawl stuffs and he's going to notice Krystal's strong popularity during that time. Krystal still remains decently popular, even if said popularity has declined. This could very well be enough to get her in, although I could easily see her be overlooked. More of a 50/50 character to me.

If we get a Zelda rep, Ghirahim is probably going to be it. He's a popular character that while a one-shot, is very important to the franchise due to how he sets in motion the chains of events in the Zelda series. The main problem with him, however, is that Zelda isn't likely to get a rep in the first place and he does have slight competition with Toon Zelda/Sheik.

Now for Chrom. My main issue with Chrom is that he's well... bland. There just isn't that much special to him, plus he faces a competition that's more popular (especially in Japan) and has been planned for Brawl and we know Sakurai likes to draw from previous game. That said, Chrom is in if we get a Fire Emblem newcomer and if DLC occurs, I really do think he'll be one of the selected characters since I do see him and Roy being planned for this game (but for one to be likely dropped). Of course DLC is not a likely possibility, else I would have put Roy and Chrom in A-tier likelihood since I don't see us getting characters DLC without both getting in. But we'll see on Chrom and Roy.

Professor Layton is my 2nd dark horse choice (Mach Rider is my 1st). This is mainly due to the president of Level-5 being interested in his inclusion along with he and Sakurai having connections. Seems to work very well as a Snake-like reveal, especially since most people would be surprised to see him in. He would take the place of Mega Man if I had to choose what other third-party to add just like Saki would take the place of Isaac if I had to pick a different misc. character.[/COLLAPSE]

And finally, Samurai Goroh, who seems to be the "middle of the road" character. He seems to be one of those character who doesn't necessarily have any big advantages over the others, yet he doesn't seem to have anything significant going against him. He's not a highly requested character, but still pops up enough to be noticed. F-zero is a franchise that is currently dormant, but I don't think Sakurai cares about recentness (and I do think he will look at adding a F-zero character one last time). While none of the F-zero characters are significantly different in importance, Goroh seems to stick out in being well-known (being Captain Falcon's rival). Probably the most important is that he doesn't share the same disadvantage as the others in C class. He doesn't have competition that could very well outclass him (like Bowser Jr, Chrom and Saki), he's not third-party (like Professor Layton), he doesn't come from a franchise where many are opposed to a fourth rep (like Krystal) and he doesn't come from a franchise where Sakurai will likely have super high expectations with characters (like he will with Zelda, which even Ghirahim may not fulfill).

I imagine that Sakurai has been looking at adding Goroh ever since pre-Melee (where he was featured in Melee's cinematic trailer, making many think he would be added). My theory is that had he not had such strong competitions, he would have probably gotten into Brawl. Now that with the pool having dwindled down significantly, it seems as Smash 4 is his chance to finally get in and I have the feeling that Sakurai will be bringing Goroh to Smash.

...I just totally pulled a ManlySpirit here.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
That's a really nice overview on your position. If you don't mind, could I possibly add the Goroh parts of it to the OP (giving you credit, of course)? Goroh is also one of my "gut feeling" characters, as you put it (the other being Starfy, but that's for another thread :p).

D

Deleted member

Unfortunately, I have a gut feeling in Black Shadow instead.

That's not to say I don't support Goroh. I'd be fine with either.

D

Deleted member

That's a really nice overview on your position. If you don't mind, could I possibly add the Goroh parts of it to the OP (giving you credit, of course)? Goroh is also one of my "gut feeling" characters, as you put it (the other being Starfy, but that's for another thread :p).
Sure why not? Every little bit helps.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Golden:

How dare you mention that name in this thread. Goroh will reign supreme!

Nah, I'm just kidding. I'd be fine with either, myself, but I definitely prefer Goroh, and feel he'd be the one Sakurai'd go for. But both he and Black Shadow have their merits, I won't deny that. Glad you'd be okay with Goroh, though!

SSBF:

Okay, adding now.

D

Deleted member

Why wouldn't I be? I made a frigging moveset for him. :p

Though allow me to explain what I mean by my gut feeling.

A character I have a "gut feeling" on is Black Shadow, which comes on and off.
Though, after remembering people mentioning that Fox's and C. Falcon's specials were meant to emulate actions taken in their vehicles (I still don't see this in Falcon, but Fox, I see.), I now realize that any future Star Fox character or F-Zero character would have similar specials to them because of the vehicles. (So yeah, I don't see Falco or Wolf changing much either. Tough luck to anti-clone extremists...)
I think the "Black Shadowdorf" people are on to something.

Black Shadow would kill multiple birds with one stone:
-Many fans want a 2nd F-Zero character in general.
-Black Shadow is quite popular in Japan, and has been since Brawl speculation (as I found out from Chrono).
-Plenty of fans want Ganondorf to have different moves dissimilar to C. Falcon.
-Conversely, Black Shadow is seen as the perfect vessel for his old moveset as to not completely alienate those who preferred Captain Ganon.
Ironically, it was a day after I posted this that I now see what people mean about C. Falcon's moveset being inspired by actions while driving the Blue Falcon.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I've often wished for the Brawl ATs to be playable in the next game. Goroh has my support. :)

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
Black Shadow would be alright, but nothing would make me happier than being able to control Samurai Goroh on the battlefield

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
To be honest, I believe Samurai Goroh to have a much better chance to appear than Black Shadow..
Goroh appeared in the intro of Melee, and as an assist trophy for Brawl.. What did Black Shadow have beside Sticker and a Trophy?

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Although I would like to see him playable, I don't see him bringing anything new/unique to the roster.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Are you kidding me?, He uses a "Katana".. That can make up for some great chops, + he is a huge characters, thats saying Ganondorf with Sword, including some nice Japanese treat attacks since Goroh is such a Japan Addict... He could include a lot new to the roster of Smash 4

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Are you kidding me?, He uses a "Katana".. That can make up for some great chops, + he is a huge characters, thats saying Ganondorf with Sword, including some nice Japanese treat attacks since Goroh is such a Japan Addict... He could include a lot new to the roster of Smash 4
That's the problem.

Takamaru is already a more likely katana user and if we want a big sword character, just give Ganondorf a sword. Goroh deserves a spot but I'm just not seeing an exciting moveset.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
True that about Takamaru, but I rather want Goroh than a clone of Cap Falcon (Black Shadow)...

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
His style of fighting, judging from his Brawl assist trophy, is that of a reckless fighter, which hardly does justice to his Katana, lol. He is a Samurai in name only. In fact, if he fights like a Samurai, it wouldn't do him justice.

As for uniqueness, I see where you're coming from.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
True True, wouldn't surprise me if he suddently started "Sumo" fighting style lol, that could be epic too!, Sumo (Since it's VERY Japanese) and using a Sword...

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
dunno really who this guy is, only that he was in the intro to melee and an assist trophy in brawl and he's from F-Zero.

but I still want him in. F-Zero needs a second rep.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
His style of fighting, judging from his Brawl assist trophy, is that of a reckless fighter, which hardly does justice to his Katana, lol. He is a Samurai in name only. In fact, if he fights like a Samurai, it wouldn't do him justice.

As for uniqueness, I see where you're coming from.
Goroh could contrast well with Takamaru, who's a true samurai, being disciplined in combat and following the rules of Japanese martial arts, instead of being reckless and aggressive.

Snu?

Smash Rookie
Smash NEEDS another badass F-Zero rep... maybe 2 even. Goroh and Black Shadow would both be awesome choices.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well if the the 3 game, mostly-Japan-Only Mother series could have two characters I don't see why the 5-6 game, anime-have F-Zero series couldn't.
And now all I can think of is an Earthbound anime.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
IMO Mother only really deserved one. They got a second which is a clone and that's as far as I could see it being stretched for F-Zero as well.

Sakurai implied he's going to cut down on the amount of newcomers and I'm afraid our favourite Samurai on roids won't likely be considered in that top bracket of important newcomers to fill the reduced amount of spaces.

I'm all for it though, especially if it free's up Ganondorf to get his own moveset :love:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Try to stay on topic, guys. Try not to bring up too much Mother stuff.

Anywho, as far as the "limit" thing, I agree that Goroh wouldn't be the highest priority, but that's to be expected when there are at least eight other characters that could easily be considered a higher priority as far as newcomers this time. Nonetheless, I'm pretty confident in ol' Goroh.

D

Deleted member

As much as I hate to say this, any future F-Zero character is going to draw similarities to Falcon, considering the machine-based moves, similar to the case of the Star Fox characters.

All that can really be hoped for at this point is that if Goroh makes it, he's at least more like how Wolf is to Fox rather than how Falco is.

Snu?

Smash Rookie
As much as I hate to say this, any future F-Zero character is going to draw similarities to Falcon, considering the machine-based moves, similar to the case of the Star Fox characters.

All that can really be hoped for at this point is that if Goroh makes it, he's at least more like how Wolf is to Fox rather than how Falco is.
Dat sword though

D

Deleted member

If you are insinuating that there can't possibly be a sword version of the Falcon Punch, you are sadly mistaken.

Case in point: Shredder from TMNT Smash Up. He has a electric sword thrusting attack with near the same speed and power as Ganondorf's Warlock Punch.

Snu?

Smash Rookie
If you are insinuating that there can't possibly be a sword version of the Falcon Punch, you are sadly mistaken.

Case in point: Shredder from TMNT Smash Up. He has a electric sword thrusting attack with near the same speed and power as Ganondorf's Warlock Punch.
Never said that the game couldn't use more Falcon Punch. We all need a little more Falcon Punch in our lives

D

Deleted member

That is the best slogan for a Falcon Punch drink (WHY HAS THIS NOT BEEN MADE IN REAL LIFE YET?!?).

D

Deleted member

I've got a Falcon Hunch that this will stray to a Falcon Punch discussion...

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
What are you guys now? A Falcon Bunch of comedians?

:troll:

I prefer Black Shadow over Goroh. I like supervillains better than samurai wannabes.

D

Deleted member

Excuse me while I Falcon Scrunch my face.

I'm fine with either. But no matter who it is, they are going to be a semi-clone....

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
As much as I would prefer an original moveset, I actually wouldn't be bothered by a semi-clone Goroh, but with some obvious tweaks. Essentially, as it was said, the Wolf to Falcon's Fox. Hack and slash A-moves, but the B-moves are similar. Maybe with an electric-theme from a Stingray motif.

D

Deleted member

As I mentioned earlier, an electric sword thrust like Shredder would fit Goroh in lieu of a punch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom