• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Best Customs for Each Character

I guess I could say that it is situational, rather than inferior (like in my "Worst Custom Move" article). It is not too difficult to dodge it's path, and after you use the move for recovery, the only way you can use Aether Drive is if you hit someone with Unyielding Blade. This amplifies the issue with the move. Aether Drive's loss of vertical distance harms Ike more than you think.
Good points. When I suggested pairing it up with Aether Drive, I meant in most cases you could use it for recovery rather than using Unyeilding Blade, rather than using both in tandem, as Aether Drive covers about the same distance as an uncharged unyielding blade in addition to going diagonal. (Sure, the vertical distance suffers, but Aether Drive also gives Ike his only diagonal recovery option, which is also more valuable than most think. IMO, it depends on the macthup, and personal preference). The way I use Unyielding Blade is only very, very sparingly or like a counter; essentially as a surprise move if you will, to keep it from being too predictable.

I'm only replying because I felt I didn't explain some of my points in enough detail. My Ike custom moveset is as follows, for anyone curious:

Tempest

Unyielding Blade/Close Combat (Depends on macthup)

Aether Drive

The Counter I use varies on the macthup.

Last edited:

SJMistery

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0920-3611-4128
The smash counter is so slow it can be dodged on even some countered smash attacks

Pepsi

Smash Rookie
NNID
Pepsicola4
Helicopter kick is probably the best one for Mii Brawler, in my opinion. Also, Fox's falco-like laser is up there, as well.

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
Update: I actually found some cool stuff with Shadow Blade. It functions similarly to the Metal Blade, but returns to Mega Man like a boomerang and cannot be picked up, disappearing if it hits the stage. However, it has the ability to pull opponents towards Mega Man as it returns to him, making it a useful move for starting combos and cutting off opponents' escape routes.

Hyper Bomb is starting to seem to look like the situational variant, as you cannot pick it up out of ground, and opponents can catch it midair. It should still be considered though.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The smash counter is so slow it can be dodged on even some countered smash attacks
What would happen if Smash Counter blocks a hitbox with high amounts of hitlag though? Would the counterattack hit before the target has a chance to escape?

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
What would happen if Smash Counter blocks a hitbox with high amounts of hitlag though? Would the counterattack hit before the target has a chance to escape?
Moves with a high amount of endlag will get hit (hard!). For hitlag, I don't know, but most likely a successful counterattack.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Moves with a high amount of endlag will get hit (hard!). For hitlag, I don't know, but most likely a successful counterattack.
The placement of the target is also a factor. For an example, if you use a Counter attack to block Bowser Jr.'s Koopa Meteor, the counterattack could end up missing if Bowser Jr. is still in a hitlag state. Similarly, Bowser Jr. avoids the counterattack altogether if he grabs hold of a ledge.

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
The placement of the target is also a factor. For an example, if you use a Counter attack to block Bowser Jr.'s Koopa Meteor, the counterattack could end up missing if Bowser Jr. is still in a hitlag state. Similarly, Bowser Jr. avoids the counterattack altogether if he grabs hold of a ledge.
Position is a factor for any counterattack (except for Corrin's and Bayo's counter).

Last edited:

SJMistery

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0920-3611-4128
Position is a factor for any counterattack (except for Corrin's and Bayo's counter).
Actually, the attacking hitbox of Counter Surge has one big blind spot: the underside. I love trolling other Corrins by using Greninja's Up Smash twice. The first triggers the counter, the second will hit them. It also works for Vision and Radiant Counter, but I prefer to just throw those two off the stage and gimp them. It just looks cooler on the replay.

The hitlag is not important, the big problem is that if the attacking character is moving or uses a non-incredibly-laggy, the counter will be too slow and will likely miss or be blocked. It happens to me constantly with Substitute, when countering things like Mario's smash attacks, and Smash Counter is twice as slow, so do the math...

Last edited:
The hitlag is not important, the big problem is that if the attacking character is moving or uses a non-incredibly-laggy, the counter will be too slow and will likely miss or be blocked. It happens to me constantly with Substitute, when countering things like Mario's smash attacks, and Smash Counter is twice as slow, so do the math...
Yeah, Mario's smash attacks shouldn't be used as the norm. Despite the fact he's intended to be a balanced character, his smash attacks are noticeably faster than average (evident by the fact that while many other characters need to use their smashes sparingly, Mario can spam his in many situations where he shouldn't be able to).

MercuryPenny

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MemorialDime
(evident by the fact that while many other characters need to use their smashes sparingly, Mario can spam his in many situations where he shouldn't be able to).
except all his smash attacks are -20 on shield and easy to punish if you just don't get hit. the only place he would ever get the opportunity to spam them is an incredibly laggy wi-fi connection which, itself, shouldn't be used as the norm

except all his smash attacks are -20 on shield and easy to punish if you just don't get hit. the only place he would ever get the opportunity to spam them is an incredibly laggy wi-fi connection which, itself, shouldn't be used as the norm
Okay, easily spammable may be a stretch, but the point I was trying to make was that his smashes are generally safer than most other characters. (Though up smash in particular is actually pretty spammable)

SJMistery

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0920-3611-4128
Okay, easily spammable may be a stretch, but the point I was trying to make was that his smashes are generally safer than most other characters. (Though up smash in particular is actually pretty spammable)
Still, the fact is, Substitute sucks in all of his forms anyways compared to any other counter. It only works on very laggy moves, in wich cases a shield drop smash attack is usually a stronger punish, and a conventional counter would be much better, as against those strong and laggy moves, Substitute is the ONLY one (apart from Toad, who is in the same boat except it at least is safe on hit) that won't kill on the counterattack.

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
In customs, Ganondorf should always run Dark Fists, barring a few matchups where actually landing the grab hitbox is beneficial (such as Fox offstage).

Warlock Thrust/Warlock Blade aren't really big deals - blade gives more room, thrust is slightly faster. Blade is mainly preferable.

WDK and Wizard's Foot are both powerful options. WDK helps Ganon's otherwise terrible recovery, while Wizkick has an explosive factor. It's up to the matchup but WDK is preferable.

Flame Choke customs - they're all good, look at the matchup. Mainly Flame Choke default is the best due to tech chases.

Top Bottom