• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Resource icon

The Basics Of The Hero King

Keeng

Smash Cadet
NNID
RoyalBonzai
Keeng submitted a new guide:

The Basics Of The Hero King - So you want to use Marth in Smash 4? Here's a basic guide to get you started!

~ MARTH ~

:4marth::4marth::4marth::4marth::4marth::4marth::4marth::4marth::4marth::4marth::4marth::4marth::4marth::4marth::4marth:GENERAL~
Marth is a character you want to use fairly aggressively. The main thing you want to do with him is rack up damage with aerials and tilts and once your opponent is at about 60+ percent you want to focus on killing with a charged, "tippered" Smash Attack or Neutral B. Tippers are when you hit your opponent with the tip of Marth's sword, which vastly...
Read more about this guide...

ElementUser

Smash Cadet
Down Smash: Not extremely useful, use this to mix things up.
While mostly true, it is the fastest smash to start up, and sometimes punishing with something else after a spot dodge seems to be a bit slow or lack the knockback necessary to keep yourself safe (untipped Jabs ;_; ). Just something I noticed after I played a little bit more these days

Last edited:

Wanaan

Smash Rookie
NNID
Wanaan
3DS FC
1006-2015-8324
This is a really great guide! I was able to base my combos around your descriptions of the moves, and was pretty successful with it.
Though this guide helped me a lot, I think a few more things can be added like; typical combos, go more in depth about what play style to use, and a lot more Marth faces .
:4marth::4marth::4marth::4marth::4marth::4marth::4marth::4marth::4marth::4marth::4marth::4marth::4marth::4marth::4marth::4marth::4marth::4marth::4marth::4marth:
Overall, a really good guide, but still needs a few expansions before it's perfect. :D

Edit: sorry, my inner English student decided to show his face. -.-

Last edited:

Keeng

Smash Cadet
NNID
RoyalBonzai
This is a really great guide! I was able to base my combos around your descriptions of the moves, and was pretty successful with it.
Though this guide helped me a lot, I think a few more things can be added like; typical combos, go more in depth about what play style to use, and a lot more Marth faces .
:4marth::4marth::4marth::4marth::4marth::4marth::4marth::4marth::4marth::4marth::4marth::4marth::4marth::4marth::4marth::4marth::4marth::4marth::4marth::4marth:
Overall, a really good guide, but still needs a few expansions before it's perfect. :D

Edit: sorry, my inner English student decided to show his face. -.-
Thanks so much! I really appreciate it a lot. I'll update eventually! I've been playing a lot more lately so I'll post some combos once I find a good amount of them!

KingCapital

Smash Cadet
NNID
KeeganIsTopTier
In my opinion, Marth's down air is very good in certain situations. If used in a combo that gets your opponent off stage, it can be very deadly as it spikes the opponent downward. Although it can be very situational, if taken advantage of it can take stocks at early percentage.

Wanaan

Smash Rookie
NNID
Wanaan
3DS FC
1006-2015-8324
In my opinion, Marth's down air is very good in certain situations. If used in a combo that gets your opponent off stage, it can be very deadly as it spikes the opponent downward. Although it can be very situational, if taken advantage of it can take stocks at early percentage.
Well, in all my time of playing Marth, I found it really hard to get that spike off, as you have to tip it for it to do much. Anywhere other than the tip, it sends your opponent UP instead of down. Though I might just be bad at tipping, I don't think it should be used if you are a beginning Marth player

KingCapital

Smash Cadet
NNID
KeeganIsTopTier
Well, in all my time of playing Marth, I found it really hard to get that spike off, as you have to tip it for it to do much. Anywhere other than the tip, it sends your opponent UP instead of down. Though I might just be bad at tipping, I don't think it should be used if you are a beginning Marth player
I agree with you on the fact that it is hard for a beginner. For me, usually its on the backswing of his sword that sends the opponents up (could just be me/my imagination lol). A good tip for working on adding Marth's dair into combos is, while it may sound stupid, practicing in training mode. This honestly really helped me out a lot as I can hit more and more combos while every now and then incorporating a dair. Other than that, I'm glad to see people picking up Marth more and more.

Wanaan

Smash Rookie
NNID
Wanaan
3DS FC
1006-2015-8324
Thanks so much! I really appreciate it a lot. I'll update eventually! I've been playing a lot more lately so I'll post some combos once I find a good amount of them!
Recently,I've been experimenting on certain combos for Marth, and I think I've found a few good ones.

Grab>>Down Throw>>short hop>>Uair (Only works at low percents, as anything higher than 40%ish launches the opponent too high. You have to Uair them at the lowest point possible, because if you don't hit them as soon as you can, they can air dodge.)

Short hop>>Fair>>Short hop>>Fair>>Ftilt (Only works at mid to high percents, because at low percents, the opponent doesn't fall to the ground. When your opponent falls to the ground, you get a few frames before they get up to hit them again, so you can technically just short hop >>Fair to the ledge if you can get the timing right.)

Dash>>Release directional button>>Charged Shield Breaker (This one is more of a mind game than a combo. This works because when you dash towards them, they expect you to throw out a dash attack or something, so they prep for a shield>>grab. Little did they know, that when they shielded, you would be sliding towards them with a primed shield breaker.)

Last edited:

KingCapital

Smash Cadet
NNID
KeeganIsTopTier
Recently,I've been experimenting on certain combos for Marth, and I think I've found a few good ones.

Grab>>Down Throw>>short hop>>Uair (Only works at low percents, as anything higher than 40%ish launches the opponent too high. You have to Uair them at the lowest point possible, because if you don't hit them as soon as you can, they can air dodge.)

Short hop>>Fair>>Short hop>>Fair>>Ftilt (Only works at mid to high percents, because at low percents, the opponent doesn't fall to the ground. When your opponent falls to the ground, you get a few frames before they get up to hit them again, so you can technically just short hop >>Fair to the ledge if you can get the timing right.)

Dash>>Release directional button>>Charged Shield Breaker (This one is more of a mind game than a combo. This works because when you dash towards them, they expect you to throw out a dash attack or something, so they prep for a shield>>grab. Little did they know, that when they shielded, you would be sliding towards them with a primed shield breaker.)
I really like that last one. I've used it a couple of times in friendlies, tournaments, and on For Glory. Its especially hilarious when you do it to a jigglypuff lol. A combo I really love is grab>up throw>uair>fair>fair and if you want, you can add in a dair for a bit more damage and a spike if the opponent is hit off-stage. Although the dair may need a bit more practice, this combo comes pretty easy for me and its a good way to rack up damage. Usually works at low %s for me(say 30%-50%) because of knockback(main job of the core of this combo is just to put more damage on the opponent) and can still do a lot at mid %s. Although the dair is more situational as it it easier to get an opponent off-stage at the higher percentages, if pulled off correctly, the dair can take a stock early in the game. (NOTE: This combo can be punished if used too much, as is every combo. This combo should be used sparingly if adding a dair because some aerials out-prioritize Marth's dair) Overall, I just love playing Marth and discovering more combos as Marth has a good combo potential imo and I'm glad I'm seeing more people pick him up. If you find anything that could potentially make the combo better or just mix it up a bit, please tell me! I love finding out more things about Marth( as if i hadn't said it enough lol)

Wanaan

Smash Rookie
NNID
Wanaan
3DS FC
1006-2015-8324
I really like that last one. I've used it a couple of times in friendlies, tournaments, and on For Glory. Its especially hilarious when you do it to a jigglypuff lol. A combo I really love is grab>up throw>uair>fair>fair and if you want, you can add in a dair for a bit more damage and a spike if the opponent is hit off-stage. Although the dair may need a bit more practice, this combo comes pretty easy for me and its a good way to rack up damage. Usually works at low %s for me(say 30%-50%) because of knockback(main job of the core of this combo is just to put more damage on the opponent) and can still do a lot at mid %s. Although the dair is more situational as it it easier to get an opponent off-stage at the higher percentages, if pulled off correctly, the dair can take a stock early in the game. (NOTE: This combo can be punished if used too much, as is every combo. This combo should be used sparingly if adding a dair because some aerials out-prioritize Marth's dair) Overall, I just love playing Marth and discovering more combos as Marth has a good combo potential imo and I'm glad I'm seeing more people pick him up. If you find anything that could potentially make the combo better or just mix it up a bit, please tell me! I love finding out more things about Marth( as if i hadn't said it enough lol)

Though i think that combo may be a good option sometimes, I don't think it should be used as a bread and butter combo, as it can be easily air-dodged out of. Unless your opponent doesn't know what air dodging is.

Top Bottom