• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The attack you fear the most

Warrior NG

Smash Cadet
Hey peeps! I came up with that question recently : Wich attack could one player fear the most? (In that context, fear could also mean hate. ;D)

I'd like to hear your opinions! Share wich attack from wich characther, and maybe why?

Mine is : Every Ike's Smash, because of the wide-range (especially vertical tbh) and the knockback it produces.

KirbCider

Smash Ace
When in the hands of a player that knows what they're doing: Ganondorfs Flame Choke.

When the player knows how to read you well and has great reaction times they can Flame Chain you to no tomorrow or make it lead into various combos as well. Not to mention it makes them super annoying to fight when they can use it just right, and shielding doesn't help you much against it if you rely on them a lot. I always start panicking when I feel like I can't escape Flame Chains. It kinda sucks.

Good Ganondorfs become terrifying when they show you how well they can do it.

Last edited:

MikaPlayz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
thexwhitexfangx
3DS FC
1779-3096-4913
When in the hands of a player that knows what they're doing: Ganondorfs Flame Choke.

When the player knows how to read you well and has great reaction times they can Flame Chain you to no tomorrow or make it lead into various combos as well. Not to mention it makes them super annoying to fight when they can use it just right, and shielding doesn't help you much against it if you rely on them a lot. I always start panicking when I feel like I can't escape Flame Chains. It kinda sucks.

yes i h8 that so much

Warrior NG

Smash Cadet

True that. Also, this move is used by a lot of spammers. I can tell.

KirbCider

Smash Ace
True that. Also, this move is used by a lot of spammers. I can tell.
i have a replay of some one doing that to me i was a fool not to get up attack
Well it's not like it's impossible to get out of and avoid, it's just very difficult. Especially when the Ganondorf actually has a brain.

Most Ganondorfs that attempt it don't usually know what they're doing or know how to read correctly. While it's hard to get out of it's also hard for the Ganondorf to preform it since their reads have to be precise usually. It can even be teched out of if done correctly, but even so all it takes for them is to read that tech and use it against you. There can be loads of ways to punish you if they can read well.

If a Ganondorf can Flame Chain with precision then they're doing something right.

It's still terrifying and slightly annoying, but you gotta give them props for it sometimes. I also forgot to mention that Ganoncides also make this move even scarier although it's much easier to avoid most of the time. I never really go for edge guards against Ganondorf because of it, unless I know for sure there's no way it can happen. Sometimes though I get egg on my face and it still happens anyways...

MikaPlayz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
thexwhitexfangx
3DS FC
1779-3096-4913
Well it's not like it's impossible to get out of and avoid, it's just very difficult. Especially when the Ganondorf actually has a brain.

Most Ganondorfs that attempt it don't usually know what they're doing or know how to read correctly. While it's hard to get out of it's also hard for the Ganondorf to preform it since their reads have to be precise usually. It can even be teched out of if done correctly, but even so all it takes for them is to read that tech and use it against you. There can be loads of ways to punish you if they can read well.

If a Ganondorf can Flame Chain with precision then they're doing something right.

It's still terrifying and slightly annoying, but you gotta give them props for it sometimes. I also forgot to mention that Ganoncides also make this move even scarier although it's much easier to avoid most of the time. I never really go for edge guards against Ganondorf because of it, unless I know for sure there's no way it can happen. Sometimes though I get egg on my face and it still happens anyways...
haha ya lol

KeeganKTK

Smash Cadet
NNID
KeeganKid44
3DS FC
3712-1085-9454

You're welcome <3

Warrior NG

Smash Cadet
I rarely ever meet Ganondorf players with a brain. They often Spam Side-B, Down-B and the four smashes.

RequiemRedStar

Smash Cadet
I fear :4ryu:'s true shoryuken more than anything else in this game.
Combos out of tons of crap, super high knockback, super fast, pretty low end lag (I've underestimated this and been hit with an immediate shoryuken after a whiffed shoryuken), good at knocking away edge guarders during recovery....

Yeah I don't see any reason to fear this move

A Very Nice Dishwasher

Smash Apprentice
:4bayonetta::4bayonetta2:: Used to fear Witch Time and Witch Twist. Now I fear absolutely nothing about her since she's been nerfed to near Melee Kirby tier.
:4bowser:: FSmash. It seems like every Bowser player has some sort of mind control ability, which they use to make you walk right into their FSmash and die every time they use it
:4bowserjr:: Up B --> Hammer combo. A good Bowser Jr. will never fail this combo, and since I play a lot of characters at the extreme ends of the weight chart I either get killed super early or spend the entire match getting hit by it and being unable to do anything whatsoever.
:4falcon:: DThrow. While it's not that scary when I'm against a typical FG Falcon who doesn't read air dodges, when I'm against an experienced Falcon player I always have to decide which is better: taking 20000 UAirs or getting knee'd.
:4charizard:: Rock Smash. Very high knockback + super armor + character with high damage output = pain.
:4cloud::4cloud2:: Limit Break Cross Slash. Whenever I face a Cloud and they get their Limit filled, I immediately start panickng and trying to knock them far enough off the stage that they have to use it on their Up B instead of on Cross Slash.
:4corrin::4corrinf:: Side B and FSmash. I already hate this character, but when they start spamming these two moves (along with Neutral B) I want to throw my controller out the window.
:4dedede:: All of his smash attacks. No explanation needed here.
:4darkpit:: Guardian Orbitars (or whatever Dark Pit's equivalent is). This is why I never recover high against the Pits: I almost always get pushed away from the stage and fall to my death.
:4diddy:: Bananas. Brings back painful memories of Hoo Hah.
:4dk:: Headbutt. I always forget not to try to shield it, and then I get Giant Punched into oblivion.
:4drmario:: The cape. If I had a dollar for every time a Mario or Dr. Mario gimped me by caping my recovery, I could buy all of Nintendo right now.
:4duckhunt:: FThrow/BThrow --> Can combo. The can is already scary, but when it's used in combos, it becomes truly terrifying.
:4falco:: Falco Phantasm. I can't tell you how many times my game has lagged for a second while I was recovering and I found myself getting dunked into the depths of hell as soon as the lag stopped.
Will do the rest of the cast later.

v3ga

Smash Cadet
I would say anything ganondorf does but nobody plays him on FG, so probably KO punch, and finishing touch

Yoshister

Smash Champion
NNID
DinoandAllen1
3DS FC
5386-7994-1390
Dedede's side smash.
It's animation catches me off-guard every time.
Plus it has huge range (It hits surprisingly high above Dedede) and kills at 40%.

Lord Dio

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1435-7744-1699
PK FREEZE.
Why? Because as soon as Lucas pulls it out, you know that if you let it hit you you'll get comboed into either an up air, upsmash, or even the almost as dreaded pk thunder.

VioletSmashfan

Smash Ace
NNID
SVPfan89
3DS FC
2964-9317-6440
PK FREEZE.
Why? Because as soon as Lucas pulls it out, you know that if you let it hit you you'll get comboed into either an up air, upsmash, or even the almost as dreaded pk thunder.
Even worse, it can be also used to get easy kills if you're using a character with the worst recovery in the game, plus Lucas' PK Thunder tends to not hit with the entire frame that he's in the middle of the attack.

iNSANE

Smash Rookie
NNID
iNSANEwOw
I gotta say Falcon Punch because no matter how much you dominate if you get hit by a Falcon Punch it will always feel like a loss.

Charu

Smash Cadet
Pretty much Cloud's Cross Slash

It's literally the only move I fear/hate in the game.

Second is Waft because the hitbox is super huge and easy to run into.

DarkAuraful

Torpid Dragon
:4ganondorf:: Ganon's side b. I always stupidly fell for it because I always try to act offensive against him. Although when I do try to get up, the good ones jump right after and do a down air.
:4bayonetta:: Her side b. I thought I would eventually avoid that kind of approach, but I just don't.
:4cloud:: His aerials in general. It's my fault if I challenge his down-air when he's in the air, but I really hate his up-air.
:4dedede:: Really his smash attacks. I'm pretty bad at countering his gordos too.
:4ness:: His PK Fire. I really hate it. At least when Lucas does his PK Fire, it pushes you away. This one traps you and exposes you for grab f-air chains.
:4shulk:: The ones I face makes good use of his Speed and Buster Monado.
:4myfriends:: Good Ike players have good reads.

Mythzotick

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SKY1ice
3DS FC
2724-0959-8115
:4littlemac:'s KO punch. What truly makes this move terrifying is that this move only comes out once or twice a game and when it does, you hear the bell ring and end up playing to not get hit. Because if you do, you get a nice cam shot of you getting punched in the jaw/face for a couple of seconds, and go flying towards the sky. What makes it even scarier is that it kills at really low percentages and he has moves that can kill confirm into a KO punch like jab, u-tilt, and d-tilt.

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
Game and Watch's Judge: Despite the fact that it's random chance that the player will get the 9, when it does happen, it always scares the **** out of me.

Ike's Dash Attack: I always get a little tense fighting Ike, but his dash attack has always made me jump when I'm hit with it at high percents. It doesn't help that it comes out fast.

Little Mac's KO Punch: Read the post above.

Stoneman

Smash Master
NNID
Wumpy007
corrins counter,all u have to do is jab at a higher percent and u go flying off screen to ur death

Nathan Richardson

Smash Ace
NNID
Zeratrix
I don't have a ton of specific attacks that I fear per say, but I can't stand King Dedede's gordo throw. The only weaknesses to it are that it can be hit back and he can only send out one at a time.
They do huge knockback, unless you're turtling there'shardly any time to react to it, he can whip it out from anywhere and hit it as short or as long as he wants to, and if you get too aggressive you might get hit with the hammer swing and the gordo (though you do kinda have to be right up in dedede's face for that to happen) I've creamed a lot of characters but I have an impossible time beating dedede because his gordo's are so unpredictable.

Arrei

Smash Lord
Cloud's Nair - Massive hitbox, quick to come out, and sends you at a really bad angle offstage, makes my life pretty difficult when recovering.
Jigglypuff's Nair - Despite Jiggly's tier status she can still edgeguard hard if I'm not careful. Even though she's a fairly simple matchup I play every match being extra careful not to get hit by her lingering hitboxes, so that certainly counts as "fear", I think.
DK and Bowser's grabs - I play several characters that are extremely vulnerable to DK and Bowser's throw combos so I have to avoid them for dear life. If they know how to Ding Dong or Koo-Pah there's just no escaping that once grabbed, and the same grabs will get me up to kill percent right quick.
KO Punch - Must it really be said?
WINDBOXES - Why does Aether not snap the ledge, Sakurai?

Matt11111

Semi-Casual Modest Scrub
NNID
Mat11111
Maybe I'm the world's biggest scrub, but whenever my friend pulls out a tree as Villager, I seem to get hit by it more often than I should. Fortunately whenever it breaks my shield, he accidentally inputs a jab instead of a forward smash.

Wiimotes suck.

Nah

Smash Champion
:4samus: Charge Shot is something that scares me. It's one of the few projectiles that Thoron doesn't beat/actually loses to. Why specifically Charge Shot and not Shadow Ball or Aura Sphere when they're practically the same thing, idk.

Metalbro

ILikePirates
NNID
SwiftJaws
Switch FC
SW-4480-4128-0819
The move that I fear the most is True Shoryuken. Mainly because no matter how I try to punish it, I end up dying more often than not.

It's horrible game design to have a move that has little to no start up, tremendous kill power, invincibility on startup, pretty much no endlag so it can be used consecutively without leaving yourself in a disadvantageous position for enough time to be punished justly. Not to mention how many moves set up into it. It's the only thing in this game I find unbalanced to the point of wondering why it hasn't been nerfed yet. The only way I can deal with it is if I power shield it and immediately jump and catch him before he lands. Of course if someone mindlessly throws them out when I'm out of their range but close enough to jump to them then yes it can be dealt with. However my point still stands. Too little risk with possibly the best reward in the game.

Last edited:

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
:4littlemac: - KO Uppercut. This one is pretty obvious. Camera zooming in on you getting punched in the jaw is never a good feeling.
:4marth: - Foward smash with the tipper. Every time I tried to punish, I end up paying for it.
:4ryu: - True Shoryuken. It stresses me out.

Last edited:

ItsASquid

Smash Apprentice
Any F-Air from Swordies. Still can't reliably get around them, especially Ike's.

Also Mac's smashes. Too hard to punish for my characters.

Last edited:
Top Bottom