• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Assist to Fighter Pipeline

Terry Bogard

Smash Apprentice
Let's talk about assist items in SSBU. As anyone who's played this game long enough will tell you, there are three different assist items: Assist Trophies, Poke Balls, and Master Balls. The assists that come out of these items usually do a single attack or an attack plus a jump. However, there are some assists that look like unfinished fighters.

-Krystal has what looks like a jab for one of her attacks, and her other attack looks like a neutral special.

-Zero has more moves than any other assist and he's the only one that can air dodge.

-While I don't see him often, I remember Knuckles having two attacks, just like Krystal. I could be wrong about this one.

Even more basic assists look like they have legit moves.

-Zoroark's assist move is VERY similar to Greninja/Ike/Mii Brawler's Final Smash.

-Guile performs what could be interpreted as an up special.

Finally, let's not forget that Little Mac and Isabelle started as Assist Trophies.

It makes you wonder why Sakurai and his team didn't go all the way with some of these guys, especially Zero. The pipeline is a very real thing (LM and Isabelle), so maybe some of these characters will be playable in SSB6. Personally, I want Zero and Waluigi.

Who do you think should be a fighter next? Any "unfinished fighters" I'm missing? Have any theories as to why they got the support role? Let me know down below! I've wanted to discuss this topic for a while, as it's always intrigued me how "fighter-ish" some of the assists are.

Last edited:
Top Bottom