• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The art of lemons

nedskii-

Smash Apprentice
NNID
nedskii
Switch FC
6236-0030-3158
Hello. I've been playing Mega Man for quite some time now, and I like to think I am on a decent level with him. Sadly, I have no way of recording. Anyways, that is just a little disclaimer.

The art of lemons. Something I have been obsessed with since Day 1 of Mega Man. The staple of mega man's game for mixups and annoying your opponent, but keeping them out while tacking priceless damage. I have few Megs demonstrate incredible control with their lemon game. Swag, AerialNinja AerialNinja i'd say being the best. If you could learn to do these jump and shoots with perfect control, i feel you can really rise as a top player.

Some basic ways(quicklist - feel free to add)
The one, two, jump sweet spot nair to get the delicious knockback it brings.

The run back turn around forward tilt

Jump, two pellets, follow up- jump fair, upair, or grab..whatever.. it's a mix up

The "bunny hop" one pellet to reduce landing lag or retreat (i have this one down pat)

-Sometimes, I find myself mashing to pellet too much. It causes fairs and bairs and dairs instead. Or my opponent makes a stupid move and I decide to pellet as a punish. Silly me, i know. It causes me to jump and extra when i shouldn't because i'm basically mashing Y and A.

I guess my point of this thread is to ask:
YOUR input methods precisely (such as exact button for jump, etc.)
YOUR method of practicing these ways
HOW do YOU control to be precise?
WHEN do YOU fully rely on these lemons and when do you "go in"?

Last edited:

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
I have Mega Man 2-6 on my 3DS and lately I've been taken to arm canon dueling the bosses to practice my evasion and precision. One button press per lemon. Especially in Smash.

I try not to overuse lemons to the point where I'm getting predictable. Especially against reflect or absorb characters. I don't think I've shot more than nine shots in a row in recent history without breaking it up with something else.

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
Wii u pro controller.
Y is attack.
X is jump.
A is special.
B is special, but mostly just for the A+B method of super glide toss.

Beggining to use L as jump more in orded to short hop more consistently, my training so far consists of shor hop pellets on training mode. That is one thing i really want to work on, as CopShowGuy pointed out before, i full hop A LOT.
And despite knowing that, i keep doing it, especially when being pressured.

Still trying to use pellets more consistently as well, used to just shoot 3 of them at regular intervals and getting punished for it.
Rush 2112 Rush 2112 and AerialNinja AerialNinja use pellets really well, lets see if they want to share anything here.

AerialNinja

Smash Cadet
NNID
aznninja96
3DS FC
2036-8306-5753
Usually you should avoid using lemons too much. Usually I pellet when an opponent attempts to dash grab. I use 3 pellets to find out shielding habits, then I'll mix up with two. That's usually the main purpose of pellets, trying to keep yourself safe and seeing how opponents react to projectiles to open them up for grabs and reads.
As for buttons, I use Game cube controller. I have L on grab and use x to jump with tap jump off. To pellet I press A then press L 1-2 more times.
For practice, I just go into training mode and gimp characters with usage of nair, jab, and f tilt only, nothing special.

Rush 2112

Tag: 2112 (Twenty-one Twelve)
NNID
KevinOfNine
I pellet all the time even if it's not ideal. I weave it into everything else I do. I like to challenge every move just to see if it's possible. You'd be surprised how much pellets can beat. It makes people frustrated and makes them change their approach. Plus it helps overall skill when you need to tone it down. I'll post some recent replays of some Nair stuff.

Thanks for the shoutout : )

ZZS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ro5FQu7CpJ8

These are fun 3 person matches
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amWn1tGX1eU
2 Megas = lots of fun
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IV1yglAZ1yQ

A bonus quickie : P
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfESLYGKOMk

Last edited:

Megamang

Smash Lord
Something I notice Scatt do really well is use and abuse the jab hitbox when you can. If you are walking forwards, the ftilt will just shoot a pellet, but if you are stopped, your arm cannon has a nice hitbox (much like nair, but slightly weaker). So, he will slowly walk at the opponent, and stop when he needs to have the jab connect. Doing this has really improved my game in close range, especially against those who try and roll past my pellet salvo. It provides pretty great safety, and also often will make close range situations slightly more punishing (+1 damage for each hit, up to 9 instead of 6, with no real downside unless you should have moved).

Of course, adding a jump in there makes it a nair which does 4, and give you some mobility, but can be punished in certain situations and gives you different options. On the ground, you have access to all your tilts and rising aerials, which adds a level of unpredictability.

Against characters with bad recovery, I really like to fall off stage -> try and hit a pellet -> try and connect nair. Characters like cloud, ganon, Captain Falcon, Little Mac, etc, will often have to eat the pellet and lose momentum if you time your pellet such that an airdodge will kill them. you can improve the range where the airdodge will kill them if you make it so that when they are vulnerable again, you are right there with an arm cannon hitbox in their face.

Last edited:

Unix

Smash Cadet
I use Classic Controller Wii.

Why? The sticks makes diagonal metal blade toss much easier. Similar to GameCube Controller, but it has more convenient buttons. I can press B, Y, X, without changing the position of my finger

So:

My inputs:
B-Jump
Y-Attack (So far, Just as in Mega Man 7 xd)
X-Special
A-Grab (If you do not have Z button, set A to grab)
C-stick-Attack (In diagonal, you can cancel run animation with shooting pellets (Ideal to execute a quick jab lock combo), you can Nair(advancing/retreating), and U-tilt is much easier)
ZL-Jump (To combine actions with C-stick)
L-Grab (Fast "Drop->catch Metal blade" using two grab buttons (In my case L+R), or (L/R+A) if you want "Drop->catch and execute normal attack".)
ZR-Shield (On GC controller "Z" is Grab)
R- Grab (On GC Controller "R" is Shield)

Note: My Run Cancel Walk combo: Attack your opponent with any movement and then run, if you see "missed tech", cancel run animation with C-stick!
Cstick=Attack
:GCCDL:(1st shot to Jab lock, Run Animation is already replaced with walk animation)->:GCZ:Grab(2nd shot)->:GCZ:Grab(3rd shot)->:GCCU:Cstick UP (U-tilt. Combo finished!)

I would like to give more tips but I cannot speak English well. I speak spanish, I'm venezuelan. :grin:

I promise to improve my English.

Last edited:
Top Bottom