• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The answer we're all dying to know.

Xx_K1NG_F3D0R4_xX

Smash Rookie
Does he say "I fight for my friends" or will we have to adopt some new Ike one liners to top the following Brawl/PM ones:
  • "You'll get no sympathy from me."
  • "Prepare yourself."
  • "You're open!"

Poxnixles

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vitiel
3DS FC
3823-8576-9592
I think when Treehouse showed off the full game the other day, Ike kept his English Brawl lines. So, it's likely.

Morian

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0860-4377-2975
I was looking forward to new voice clips, really. At least they have to syncronize his mouth with his lines this time.

ten Busch

Smash Cadet
Oh god its the same voice? The lines themselves were pretty cool, but the voice actor didn't fit him at all, with Gorilla Ike's new appereance even less so (I guess the reason why the "I fight for my friends" line is so famous isn't because it sounds very epic or fitting to begin with...).

FieryRebirth

Smash Ace
NNID
Rara-Avis
Switch FC
7032-4095-8921
Brawl's English VA is bad/mediocre. I figured it was why Ike's winning quotes were so infamous(or famous in meme form). Shulk's trailer and his unfitting "I'm really feeling it!" is nearly just as cheesy as a bored-sounding Ike saying "I fight for my friends!", imo. So yeah, I'm not expecting quality VA even from Laura Bailey for Lucina.

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Thank god.

I crave more cheese in my Smash Bros. It's in dire need of quotable one liners you see in other cross over fighting games.

Evello

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TinyTinyHippo
3DS FC
0473-7825-0053
Yeah, unless the Treehouse stream was using an early build that lacked new VA work (unlikely imo) Ike retains all his voice clips from Brawl. Which is a bummer, because his lines (especially the victory quotes) were both out of character and terribly delivered.

That said, one of my main problems with Ike's voice in Brawl was that he sounded too old for his appearance, so at least he's aged up in SSB4 to match his voice a little better.

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
Brawl's English VA is bad/mediocre. I figured it was why Ike's winning quotes were so infamous(or famous in meme form). Shulk's trailer and his unfitting "I'm really feeling it!" is nearly just as cheesy as a bored-sounding Ike saying "I fight for my friends!", imo. So yeah, I'm not expecting quality VA even from Laura Bailey for Lucina.
They went REALLY lazy wih voice acting. Brawl's robotic-monotone voice acting doesn't fit in the colorful and explosive environment of Smash 4. Fox's English voice is terrible (FYYYEEERRRR). Laura Bailey better give a good performance, she is the only decent voice actor in this game.

JJpalmer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
jjpalmer
3DS FC
2664-2947-4020
I actually like Ikes voice might just be me tho. If i changed it id imagine hed sound like jazz from eternal sonata.I'm hoping laura bailey does a kickass job her voice really fits Lucina in my opinion

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
I don't understand how NoA can go all out for Fire Emblem Awakening when it comes to quality voice acting but they got extremely lazy with the voice acting (or in the case of Fox make things ten time worse) for a system seller like Smash.

That being said, I always kind of liked Ike's voice in Smash except for the infamous "I fight for my friends" line.

JJpalmer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
jjpalmer
3DS FC
2664-2947-4020
If its a Va i know a tad about ill be happy to answer it. Palutena is her VA from uprising Ali Hillis. Robins male VA David Vincent and Pits is the same from uprising. I dont know about shulks VA sadly.

JJpalmer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
jjpalmer
3DS FC
2664-2947-4020
I don't understand how NoA can go all out for Fire Emblem Awakening when it comes to quality voice acting but they got extremely lazy with the voice acting (or in the case of Fox make things ten time worse) for a system seller like Smash.

That being said, I always kind of liked Ike's voice in Smash except for the infamous "I fight for my friends" line.
Yea its really confusing tbh

ten Busch

Smash Cadet
How about Robin, Pit, Paluetena, and Shulk?
All of Pit's sounds are replaced with "Lady Pawlooteenuh?!" when he is fighting her. (not really but they should be)

"Aether" and "Great Aether!" aren't bad, and I personally love the quirky "Youre open!", it's just the bored sounding friends-line that makes me cringe

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
If its a Va i know a tad about ill be happy to answer it. Palutena is her VA from uprising Ali Hillis. Robins male VA David Vincent and Pits is the same from uprising. I dont know about shulks VA sadly.
Shulk's voice actor Adam Howden is reprising his role from Xenoblade.

Plain Yogurt

Smash Ace
A tad off-topic, but Ali actually was unable to return to reprise Palutena. She's voiced by Brandy Kopp in this game. Or at least she was for the trailer, which I imagine carries to the game.

On topic: A little disappointing that Ike isn't being re-recorded. I don't despise Jason Adkins's Ike, but his victory lines just sound awkward. It seems we'll be fighting for our friends for another 6+ years.

Tangamanga

Scrublord
NNID
Tangamanga
3DS FC
1650-3266-1148
New voice acting for Ike would be great :( I do need him to keep fighting for his friends though. :4myfriends:

wizardto1

Smash Lord
NNID
waddledee3
3DS FC
1676-4166-2291
I'm probably the only person who loves Ike's voice. Part of the reason I main him.:4myfriends:

Monado Boy

Smash Cadet
Ike's voice is hilariously magical. Although, I do think he should have gotten a new voice actor/old voice actor re-record his lines, as Ike is much different in Radiant Dawn (The design that Smash 4 uses) from how he was in Path of Radiance. (The design that Brawl/PM uses)

JJpalmer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
jjpalmer
3DS FC
2664-2947-4020
A tad off-topic, but Ali actually was unable to return to reprise Palutena. She's voiced by Brandy Kopp in this game. Or at least she was for the trailer, which I imagine carries to the game.

On topic: A little disappointing that Ike isn't being re-recorded. I don't despise Jason Adkins's Ike, but his victory lines just sound awkward. It seems we'll be fighting for our friends for another 6+ years.
My apologies good catch on that sorry about the offtopic.Yea i think at the very least they should have rerecorded his lines i kinda want japanese Ike his voice is sooo awesome.

D

Deleted member 212841

gcyftftdtfyxycyvj

Last edited by a moderator:

gsninja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
gsninja
3DS FC
5455-9389-5386
Switch FC
1284 3127 1819
I don't mind the VA but they could have given him new lines that fit the character better :(
Pretty much. I never had a problem with the VA himself, but...put it this way, the delivery and quality of his lines were awful.

Xuan Wu

Valor Ablaze
NNID
Xuanwu_2014
I think it's safe to say he still "fights for his friends". And both variants of Robin stole his line! Do you know what this means for 3 vs. 1 matches, with the 3-person team being Ike, male Robin, and female Robin? ^-^

Tangamanga

Scrublord
NNID
Tangamanga
3DS FC
1650-3266-1148
I think it's safe to say he still "fights for his friends". And both variants of Robin stole his line! Do you know what this means for 3 vs. 1 matches, with the 3-person team being Ike, male Robin, and female Robin? ^-^

Let's tip the scales? Wat.

friends.PNG

I can imagine that haha, the three just spamming PREPARE YOURSELF over and over, can't wait for that.

Monado Boy

Smash Cadet
Let's tip the scales? Wat.

View attachment 25683

I can imagine that haha, the three just spamming PREPARE YOURSELF over and over, can't wait for that.
Oh lawd that is amazing. Even though every FE game takes place at least a few hundred-thousand years apart from eachother (Aside from the games that are a direct sequel/prequel to another FE game) and/or are on different continents, I can still see this happening in the actual series.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Ike's voice isn't bad, it's the delivery on his victory lines that makes them memorably bad. Look at Robin Atkin Downes delivery of "They played us like a damn fiddle!" from MGS: Ground Zeroes, and compare it to his voice acting from Peace Walker or the rest of Ground Zeroes. He's a good actor, with a crappy line and bad delivery on that line.

Ike sounds fine when hitting people, countering, using Aether, telling fools to prepare themselves etc. But outside of battle, he sounds awkward.

Tangamanga

Scrublord
NNID
Tangamanga
3DS FC
1650-3266-1148
Chrom in that picture... I can't stop laughing. Did you do that yourself? Man, that's the funniest thing I've seen in forever.
Haha no, I'm not sure who did that picture, it was posted on the funny pictures thread a while ago :p

NineWholeGrains

Smash Rookie
This may just be my inner anime geek, but I really wish we could keep Ike's Japanese voice actor or toggle it or something. No disrespect to his English VA, but he Japanese voice just has an edge to it that fits Ike perfectly, y'know?

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I actually really like the english Ike VA in Smash, I mean honestly, nobody can make a line like "I fight for my friends" work. I like his "Prepare yourself" line, it sounds very focused, like I imagine Ike is in combat. Aside from the "YAAAAARRR" shout he sometimes makes when he uses Aether I also think his combat sounds are pretty good.

His voice acting in Path of Radiance on the other hand is really terrible.

Last edited:

Monado Boy

Smash Cadet
I actually really like the english Ike VA in Smash, I mean honestly, nobody can make a line like "I fight for my friends" work. I like his "Prepare yourself" line, it sounds very focused, like I imagine Ike is in combat. Aside from the "YAAAAARRR" shout he sometimes makes when he uses Aether I also think his combat sounds are pretty good.

Yeah, Ike's combat grunts sound just fine. It's just his victory quotes that are very iffy.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
I don't mind the VA but they could have given him new lines that fit the character better :(
Definitely this. The "no sympathy" line has always bothered me for how out of character it is.

The "my friends" line is definitely cheesy, but that's kind of why everyone loves it, including me.

Everything else is fine :)

Daniee

Smash Cadet
I really wish his voice was different.

To me, Ike is not a character that should have cheesy / "so bad it's good" voice acting. Save that for the Star Fox characters.

Tangamanga

Scrublord
NNID
Tangamanga
3DS FC
1650-3266-1148

I never forgot his epic battle cry.

Imagine if they had used the same voice acting for smash, hoooh boy, at least the current voice kinda matches RD Ike.

Plain Yogurt

Smash Ace
"DON. DON LEAVE. DON LEAVE ME! FAAAAATHAAAAAAAR!" Yeah to say Adkins is hit or miss is an understatement...

Off-topic again, but after rewatching that cutscene I just noticed that the stump Ragnell gets tossed into literally spawns out of nowhere...

Top Bottom