• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The "Alpha Counter"

Mezzy

Smash Rookie
I'm sure everyone has observed Ryu's sound and animation changes when performing a perfect shield. This can be used in queue with any quick start up movement to perform a pseudo alpha counter. This can be performed with any character but it is much easier with Ryu because of the auditory queue.

Most players are used to using this as a quick approach to spammy characters, but with Ryu it is quite easy to use it for KO's, and very doable in close range. I have used this repeatedly against A spam characters (Robin, Mac, Fox, Pit(s)), to sneak in chains or uppercuts while being block locked. You can even block the first hit or 2 regular and then quickly press block again and sneak it in.

Here are the functional examples I have used.

Perfect shield -> down A sweep - this matches the original streetfighter alhpa "alpha counter." This is incredible for zoning,

Perfect shield -> any A chain.

Perfect shield -> command uppercut (KO's just about everyone at about 90%).

Has anyone else messed with this? If so do you see a difference in the KO potential out of a perfect shield VS regular command input?

For me this has been a huge game changer for Ryu, especially against rushdown mario and fox.

Mezzy

Smash Rookie
It's definitely a parry, but the sound queue makes it much easier than other characters, so it can be used more liberally (at least for me).

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Frame wise there is no difference though. While the sound, being so alien to smash, is more noticeable than a regular PS there seems so far (according to my tests) to be no difference. That being said, there is also no difference in KO thresholds/potential between moves done following a PS and moves done at any other moment besides the opportunity that a close quarters PS offers.

PapaJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolidSnake1443
3DS FC
3282-3281-5746
Frame wise there is no difference though. While the sound, being so alien to smash, is more noticeable than a regular PS there seems so far (according to my tests) to be no difference. That being said, there is also no difference in KO thresholds/potential between moves done following a PS and moves done at any other moment besides the opportunity that a close quarters PS offers.
Yeah his PS is the same as anyone else's however, on a mental level, I do see myself going after people with some attack afterwards, based on watching replays as Ryu, Luigi, Sonic. Ryu's move also do seem to come out faster than those I listed so maybe it's that he is fast enough to do it consistently such as using Weak Utilt.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Yeah his PS is the same as anyone else's however, on a mental level, I do see myself going after people with some attack afterwards, based on watching replays as Ryu, Luigi, Sonic. Ryu's move also do seem to come out faster than those I listed so maybe it's that he is fast enough to do it consistently such as using Weak Utilt.
Actually there is no difference at all based on my testings. There is only a psychological edge based on the sound which is drastically different. This does just that, give us a psychological advantage but there is no real frame advantage.

PapaJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolidSnake1443
3DS FC
3282-3281-5746
Actually there is no difference at all based on my testings. There is only a psychological edge based on the sound which is drastically different. This does just that, give us a psychological advantage but there is no real frame advantage.
lmao i just said that.
Yeah his PS is the same as anyone else's however, on a mental level, I do see myself going after people with some attack afterwards

Top Bottom