• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The 64 Story

PrestonK

Smash Cadet
For those that aren't aware, I created The 64 Story, which is an on-going series of videos that showcases and documents 64. Videos may include tournament documentaries, player interviews, and other similar ideas. My first project for The 64 Story is a three part mini-documentary series that focuses on Genesis 3. I just released the trailer for it, which you can see below and the first part should be out in a couple weeks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGeOPtqKroM

If you want the most up-to-date news on this project, then follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/The64Story

Last edited:

Zantetsu

Smash Master
You're doing the lord's work. The quality looks great and I'm super stoked for this.

In my personal opinion, there were 3 large factors that contributed to Melee's large growth around 2013-2014, and that was
1. Melee's return to EVO
2. The Melee documentary
3. Hype around the smash community as a whole due to Smash 4 announcements/release

Of those 3, from my personal experiences, it seems the documentary had much more of an impact than the other 2. Many new Melee players I had met when I was still regularly playing had gotten into it because of the documentary. This already looks really solid, so I'm hoping this will bring in many more players to our community. Thanks!

Uair

Banned via Warnings
Interview a bunch of awkward people who are bad at video games lol.

ElViejoZunY

Smash Apprentice
I love it, I started as a TO a few months before and it feels like hype/touching/feelings/I don´t know which is the word I want to use

The only negative thing for me is: it´s kinda """weak""" for someone that doesn´t play 64. I´m gonna post it in the main group of my comunity but at the same time I can´t stop thinking I won´t ""change them"" with this

Again, please don´t get my wrong. I really love it. We need more things like this.

PrestonK

Smash Cadet
I love it, I started as a TO a few months before and it feels like hype/touching/feelings/I don´t know which is the word I want to use

The only negative thing for me is: it´s kinda """weak""" for someone that doesn´t play 64. I´m gonna post it in the main group of my comunity but at the same time I can´t stop thinking I won´t ""change them"" with this

Again, please don´t get my wrong. I really love it. We need more things like this.
Can you explain why it may be a little weak for someone who doesn't play 64? I'm all for people giving me feedback on this so constructive criticism won't offend me. I'm glad you like it as well!

Shears

Smash Master
The gameplay part, if you don´t play 64 probably you wouldn´t know what are you watching or what is the exiting or hyped about that thing you are watching
I think the inclusion of a narrator can do a lot of that and give inspection on the players, game, history, etc that helps inform and introduce new players and fans to it all.

To everyone, Preston put a lot of work into this and is taking criticism very well so help and comments are great for making his next doc even better. But remember, he did this entirely on his own with no assistance, no budget, and in a short amount of time and although it can be better it is certainly great to finally have someone doing something and taking on such a large project. Everyone should definitely help donate to the project so we can ensure high quality documentaries for 64 at every super major.

Uair

Banned via Warnings
Wow now you're begging for donations? I'm just going to put this out there, the video editing skills were amateur at best, the structure of your "documentary" is non existent. You asking random questions to the same few guys, you show excessive amounts of gameplay footage (seemingly to take up more time), and above all else you are not making a documentary, you're making a Q&A for people who attended the event. A documentary is suppose to be a source of abundant knowledge on something, like a Vice News documentary on N. Korea, they show video of the country, ask citizens how they feel about the country, they explain some history about the country, and that's what a documentary is suppose to be. It can be one sided, but it cannot be a ****ing Q&A about some specific tournament for a game. The very fact you would limit this "documentary" to genesis 3 shows us you don't know what you are doing or have any real concept of what the Smash64 community is like.

Just a heads up, Smash64 got started online over kaillera. You can dwell in the tournament scene with your poor choice of interviewees. But just know you aren't going to get enough stolen money to shoot a real documentary, and even if you did have resources your topic you are documenting is extremely limited as it's a single tournament for a 20 year old game. Out of all the things you could of done this documentary on or title it as, you choice a single tournament, not to mention you had no new knowledge or source of entertainment in this. You know good and well nobody who hasn't ever played smash before is going to watch this. Even smash64 players won't watch this because it's not about smash64, it's about a tournament for smash64. Not once did you even mention Kaillera or where smash64 originated from and how it got popular to begin with.

Honestly, 0/10. Will not watch again.

Shears

Smash Master
Kaillera is not the origin of this game. It was played on console before it ever touched online. The people who currently lead this community and run all the major tournaments and have spent the past 2 years growing it don't play on kaillera either. Your origin might be kaillera but the growth of this game and how it got to where it is today was done without it. It may have kept a few of you in the community on life support because you didn't have console scenes and don't have the ambition to start one but if anything kaillera crippled this game and community for years.

Could the doc have been better? Sure, I have spoken with Preston on what I liked and what could be better but he isn't begging for donations and trying to "steal" from people. It looks amateur because it is amateur, thats why he is asking for donations so he can step it up in future iterations and make much more professional documentaries. This kid did it all on his own with no assistance from anyone and no funding, its hard to ask for much more from one person without any help. If you want to see this doc improve then go donate, telling people to never watch this only ensures no more docs will be made, professional or amateur.

D

Deleted member

if you want to interview me for this, hit me up!

Last edited by a moderator:

Ælude

Smash Cadet
I read that this was an amateur project and that you did it all yourself and I gotta say it did not feel that way to me watching it. I like what you're doing, and thank you for doing it.

Here are my points of constructive criticism if you choose to incorporate;

- while g3 was one of - if not the most exciting smash tournament (64 wise) I've personally witnessed I wish you would done more on 64 smash as a whole, especially with a name like "64 story" which seems to allude to this.

- the gameplay parts were honestly lacking something. Im not sure if they were too long, too many or what but I beleive they could greatly benefit from you narrating them and also maybe give an intro to why your sharing said clip.

- the handholding for newer or non players I feel felt too forced and drawn out. The whole 0 death bit could be scrapped imo for one sentance in passing about there are ways to escape or not put yourself in a certain circumstance to begin with. Too much time is spent trying to educate the viewer that "well yeah the whole 0 death stereotype is true BUT... " If you just used some of my points above of giving gameplay clips an introduction and narrating them you can still educate viewers on 64 in a more captivating way rather than it seeming kinda like a lecture.

Last edited:

PrestonK

Smash Cadet
Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed it! Yes, this is an amateurish project seeing as I've only had an interest in videography since last year. I've been a photographer for a lot longer and some skills transfer over, but not everything of course. So I'm still learning about what it takes to create these kinds of videos. Nobody in the community has stepped up to do anything even close to this, so I figured I take initiative. Even though it won't match up to the likes of Samox, Last Stock Legends, or any of the other Smash videos and mini-docs, 64 needed someone to create something similar.

Regarding the constructive criticism:

- An all-encompassing Smash 64 documentary that narrates its history from beginning to present day would take a whole lot of work, time, and resources. I unfortunately don't have that so this is why I chose to focus on G3. Also, there are still two more parts to this so hopefully I can touch on the game more as whole with the content I have.

- Looking back on it and receiving other similar comments, I do realize the gameplay was a bit too long. I'll try to cut it down for parts 2 and 3. Some of the other Melee mini-docs like the TBH5 one by Last Stock Legends and the Rivals series by HTC didn't have a narrator, so I decided to follow suit. However, if I do something similar for Smash Con, I intend on having a narrator.

- This was just a personal choice to have the answers from the players on this subject, but I understand what you're saying. I appreciate the comments.

Top Bottom