• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The 64 Renaissance

Would you play in a 64 tournament?

• Yes

Votes: 298 75.3%
  • No

Votes: 47 11.9%
  • Undecided

Votes: 51 12.9%

• Total voters

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
Only thing is that snagging an N64 copy is hella tricky now, as even on the GameStop site it goes for around 50 bucks(in comparison, Melee whenever it's in stock goes for like 28 bucks.) As stated, the Wii VC port has lag issues, so it holds that one back. And for the "get an emulator" crowd, I get the deal, as I used to use kaliera way back when too, but as someone who is considering entering the gaming industry I really don't wanna associate myself with a lifestyle of downloading ROMS, and only plan on using emulators for testing stuff if I ever wanna make a homebrew game or something. Also I feel that 64 should have a stronger offline presence really-I get online is the most popular, but the lack of an offline presence is partially the reason why it was kinda AWOL for a good few years in many's eyes. It's great to see it's regrowing though-now let's hope it can grow to a point where people actually know of legends outside of Isai in that thing.

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
You guys should read this :) http://www.meleeitonme.com/i-want-to-get-into-smash-64-where-do-i-start/
...smash 64 has a big competitive scene?? Can someone message me about this please, I think that is a great starting point for me.
I would play 64, but I practice with the port on the wii.
Wish I had the game and system to play on, tried it recently and had a blast
I actually like 64 a lot more than Melee and PM, hope it comes to the Wii U VC one day.
I'd love to play Smash 64!
Now to get an N64...
Wish there was any Smash scene, especially 64 since it's my favourite, around this entire section of my country.
I like SSB64, but i dunnot have a N64, IMAO
I only own a digital copy on my Wii, so I haven't even touched an N64 controller! D:
I'd hella play 64 and get into it competitively, if my controllers weren't unusable for comp play. My only form of console play is at my friends,(lost my copy of 64 ;-; ) and that's only on the rare ocations that no one brings over a setup (Melee), and we just wanna get a few 1v1 in. Does anyone know if you can fix a controllers stick if it's loose from playing to much mario party?
I would love to play 64, but the price for a cart is so steep now lol. It's tough being broke as hell.
Oh man 64 is my favourite game, tied with Melee. Loved the way everything flowed together. I can't really play it properly until next year unfortunately, as my n64+smash cartridge is in storage.

Mavil64

Smash Rookie
NNID
Mavil2000
...smash 64 has a big competitive scene?? Can someone message me about this please, I think that is a great starting point for me.
Yeah but i think the only reason for that is that there weren't like 54 character like now. It was way easier to balance everything.

Dark Horse

Smash Cadet
Yeah tried to get into the netplay skype group since there's no real Smash scene within 14 hours of me in my country, but I'm STILL WAITING ON DARK HORSE TO GET ME INTO THE GROUP for now.
you didn't share your contact info with me so I couldn't add you

Dark Horse

Smash Cadet
I'd hella play 64 and get into it competitively, if my controllers weren't unusable for comp play. My only form of console play is at my friends,(lost my copy of 64 ;-; ) and that's only on the rare ocations that no one brings over a setup (Melee), and we just wanna get a few 1v1 in. Does anyone know if you can fix a controllers stick if it's loose from playing to much mario party?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ar5dF4gp7b8

Wintry

Smash Cadet
For my money, 64 has the best presentation. The sound effects are so gosh dang iconic and amazing.

Also, 64 had the best "FALCON PUNCH" sound effect. Accept no substitutions.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Where do you live? There are scenes all over
I'm in big city areas; I just never bothered to look for it as it seemed to get no respect. Yet, why does that matter!

Yeah but i think the only reason for that is that there weren't like 54 character like now. It was way easier to balance everything.
Think you quoted the wrong guy- you must have meant the man who mentioned balance being the best.

Bark Sanchez

Smash Apprentice
I'm in big city areas; I just never bothered to look for it as it seemed to get no respect. Yet, why does that matter!

Think you quoted the wrong guy- you must have meant the man who mentioned balance being the best.
We were gonna help you find a scene near you if you were interested

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
The controller is what's holding me back...

Metallinatus

Smash Lord
I'm down for some Smash 64. Just would have to get use to not using the C-Stick again.
That is why I never adopted it in the first place.... :GCN: + :GCA: forever!
Anyway, if Smash 64 really start to get big like it's younger brothers, then color me interested already.... I can see myself going back to it as I go back to Melee and stay on Smash 4 too! :kirby64::sheikmelee::4mewtwo:

Last edited:

NoobX

Smash Rookie
I love playing 64. Not many people have 64 or a 64, so I bring mine to weekly sm4sh/Pm/Melee tournaments and play friendlies with people.

LDZ

Smash Rookie
The controller is what's holding me back...
There are a lot of adapters for several different controllers, including Gamecube, Xbox(360 and one), or even a keyboard. Getting used to the original controller can be a bit tough, but don't let that stop you from getting into smash 64!

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
There are a lot of adapters for several different controllers, including Gamecube, Xbox(360 and one), or even a keyboard. Getting used to the original controller can be a bit tough, but don't let that stop you from getting into smash 64!
Can you link me to an adapter for GC? I play Smash 64 with a GC controller on VC but don't know where to find one for locals...

_Wombo_

Smash Rookie
NNID
Yougotgame100
Smash 64 is really an underrated game in the series it truly deserves to get in more of the big tournaments.

TOGOpuff

Jigglyfy the world !
NNID
TOGOpuff
here in Brazil our biggest smash scene is 64 with really great players like Banze and Cabelo. Seconded to smash4 i think (which is growing pretty fast)

Metallinatus

Smash Lord
here in Brazil our biggest smash scene is 64 with really great players like Banze and Cabelo. Seconded to smash4 i think (which is growing pretty fast)
Wow that is pretty interesting.... I am not very informed of how the Smash scene is here, but if that is the case so I might start to get interested in it.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
We were gonna help you find a scene near you if you were interested
The site updated as I submit my last response.
In NYC and Fort Lauderdale, mostly. If there is a tournament in tel aviv soon, I would love to make it.

Has there been news on smashcon yet? I see nothing on it.

Bark Sanchez

Smash Apprentice
The site updated as I submit my last response.
In NYC and Fort Lauderdale, mostly. If there is a tournament in tel aviv soon, I would love to make it.

Has there been news on smashcon yet? I see nothing on it.
I think Stranded and Kero are up in NY but they tend to keep to themselves afaik. It's NYC there has to be players up there, I just don't know who. East Coast SSB64 Facebook would know more

Tankster

Smash Apprentice
The original 64 is finally making a comeback. I do expect it to grow. Besides, nothing beats the original.

Now if only Brawl can make a comeback....

404House

Smash Cadet
I've actually loved playing Smash 64 on netplay, despite only playing on the couple of blue moons that Smashladder has people on 64 ladder wanting to play.

In all honesty, I'm glad that we're seeing it larger than ever before. I despised 64 because it was "slow, clunky, low cast", but I came to realize, that was what I liked. I was once a DK main that didn't know what I was doing, simply mocking it by playing low tiers, and now look at me; I'm wanting to get competitive. I want to play to win. I play Kirby and C.Falcon, and I hope to be making an appearance.

To know that we're still appreciating a ~16 year old game to this day and making it big is just satisfying to hear. We care about our legacy, and we care about everything in the series.

Brawl is debatable since many people see that starting to, "dwindle", but I hope for that to try to live on and hold on too! It's not a bad game, simply just at a loss for players and tournaments! I hope to see some sort of revival.

Anyways, this is amazing news! I'm glad to know about 64 living on, and I hope it continues to :)

shadee88

Smash Apprentice
If you live in toronto we got you covered. I run tournaments that just have 64 and Brawl. Last month got 30 for 64 and 25 for Brawl :)
trying 2 fill the gap i guess.

thats nice.....

[NO SARCASM INTENDED] wish i lived there...... :(

PlayR489

Smash Cadet
NNID
PlayR489
I think Smash 64 is REEEEALLLLLLYYYY slow but it might have a future. I think fast games like Smash 4 and Melee are the best for tournament play, although if the Smash 64 community can prove themselves, by all means start going big.

Dark Horse

Smash Cadet
I think Smash 64 is REEEEALLLLLLYYYY slow but it might have a future. I think fast games like Smash 4 and Melee are the best for tournament play, although if the Smash 64 community can prove themselves, by all means start going big.
smash 4 fast? yea i dunno about that

Bark Sanchez

Smash Apprentice
You should watch our streams of 64 sometime. Way faster than Smash 4.

OnettGirl

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Antagonistgreen
3DS FC
4742-5570-4170
I'd love to get back into some Smash 64, I haven't played that game in years. I think it's been since the game came out... Only problem is I have no idea where weeklies would even be. As someone who lives in Arizona the only weeklies i've heard about are in Tuscon and that's about three hours away from me. So I can't really make that. [Well and I won't own a copy of the game but emulators.]

Dark Horse

Smash Cadet
I'd love to get back into some Smash 64, I haven't played that game in years. I think it's been since the game came out... Only problem is I have no idea where weeklies would even be. As someone who lives in Arizona the only weeklies i've heard about are in Tuscon and that's about three hours away from me. So I can't really make that. [Well and I won't own a copy of the game but emulators.]
There is a facebook group just for Arizona, haha! https://www.facebook.com/groups/AZSmash64/
check it out and be prepared...there may be a tournament coming there very soon.

S0 B00sted

Smash Cadet
Premium
I just love how people complain about Brawl and Smash 4 being campy yet never bat an eye at how campy Smash 64 is. This isn't a knock on Smash 64, people just need to be more accepting of different play styles. Defensive doesn't necessarily mean bad.

Top Bottom