• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS The 3DS Community / Where do you think it'll go?

Does the 3DS scene have enough to be as comp. as the Wii U scene?

• Total voters

/u/giggity-gooo

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0619-6024-5558
So I wanted to address this **** because it's been bugging me

Where does Smash Boards believe the 3DS community will go?

With the Wii U version being out for a couple of months, along with the 3DS version, how do we view ourselves from a competitive standpoint?

I really don't want the 3DS scene to fumble into a casual mess (I should probably word this differently lmao), I really want this **** front and center like the Wii U version.

What do you guys think? Do we stand a chance as the 3DS community?

Last edited:

ILOVESMASH

Smash Ace
NNID
Marioman123450
3DS FC
3368-1022-7382
I don't think the 3ds scene will be too relevant outside of local tournaments. Biggest issue with the 3ds version is the connection issues and button imput lag that may occur when playing with another person, as well as the lack of certain buttons on older models of the 3ds. the Wii U version doesn't suffer from these issues as the GC adapter means that matches won't be suffer from Button imput lag and all the necessary buttons are present on the GC / Wii u pro controllers. Wifi tournaments would also be more playable on the wii u version as the system has greater internet capabilities than the 3ds.

TheRealBlueBlur

Smash Apprentice
Why do you see Smash 4 as 2 different communities?
The 3DS version seems to be for people who just want to smash and not worry about unlocking much or doing much single player. The Wii U version seems to be for experienced fans who want the definitive, premium version of the game. As a result, the Wii U community is likely to have more competitive players.

The_World

Smash Cadet
@ MapleWooD MapleWooD He doesn't mean that the Smash 4 community is split into two, he is refering to the people who only have Smash 3DS for some reason.

The 3DS has a few problems that have to be dealt with when it comes to being a viable medium for competitive Smash.

Controller: Although I prefer the 3DS as a controller since I use it the most, the cost of it is the inability to peform certain ATs. Although in Smash 4 they aren't too prevalent in competitive play, they still make it more difficult to perform them regardless. The 3DS also has a tendency to cause cramps, and is considered to be an inferior controller when compared to the GC controller.

Online: Matchmaking is very laggy, which is obviously bad when it comes to a fighting game. The ranking system isn't conducive to promoting player skill, which is also hindered by the lag. I'm not going to say a lot more on this now, since I feel that Nintendo has addressed this somewhat with the New 3DS, which actually has better matches than the Wii U, and the fact that we already have Anther's Ladder as a solution.

Streaming: 3DS isnt easy to stream on. Mods and expensive attachments are required to stream anything, and the fact that a stream could require MORE than one set up for the 3DS would make it harder and more expensive for a small tournament to do. Even for one person to stream a 3DS is more annoying than it is for a Wii U

There are also a lot of logisticals issues that come with everyone bringing a 3DS that Im too lazy to think off at the moment. I have a feeling that if more products come out to provide solutions to the 3DS that aren't expensive, then it will have a better chance of getting some of the spot light.

Soul.

The idea of having the Wii U game as the "definitive" version is extremely pointless to me. It's just a game. Not a premium thing.

3DS community will be fine. Not everyone has time to play on a console. I like both versions. If Wii U can be competitive then so can 3DS, even if setups are hard. If 3DS is casual, Wii U is casual too. It's Smash Bros. on a handheld.... that thing was long overdue.

Lag depends on your Internet connection.

Really think these Wii U vs. 3DS posts should stop.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
The way I see it, 3ds has one MAJOR thing going for it, the Wii U just cant have.

Personal custom sets, without having to upload them into a console.

I personally prefer playing on the wii u, but 3ds is still a hell of a lot of fun, I feel that that one difference WILL make it stand out.

Local lag isn't too frequent, if the players are close, and definitely not an issue such as online lag.

FGC-Oni

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FGC-Oni
3DS FC
0430-8323-9211
The idea of having the Wii U game as the "definitive" version is extremely pointless to me. It's just a game. Not a premium thing.

3DS community will be fine. Not everyone has time to play on a console. I like both versions. If Wii U can be competitive then so can 3DS, even if setups are hard. If 3DS is casual, Wii U is casual too. It's Smash Bros. on a handheld.... that thing was long overdue.

Lag depends on your Internet connection.

Really think these Wii U vs. 3DS posts should stop.
^^^ I don't know why everyone says this. Like they're elitist's or something.

Brb Wii U is THEE De-FiH-NUH-Tive version
Brb Wii U is better for day Con-Trolls
Lmao if you play or prefer the 3DS version just lmao

Seriously pisses me off.

Last edited:

Soul.

Seriously pisses me off.
Elitism is also pointless. No one should laugh at a 3DS-only player just because they like that version more.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Elitism is also pointless. No one should laugh at a 3DS-only player just because they like that version more.
Its also pretty well-known that Smash Run is much better than Smash tour xD

So both versions have their ups and downs, haha

anikom15

Smash Apprentice
It's the same engine. Elitism is totally ridiculous. It's like hating on someone for using anything that isn't a GC controller.

I think the 3DS version is more accessible and I like the stages more as well.

GSM_Dren

Smash Journeyman
So I wanted to address this **** because it's been bugging me

Where does Smash Boards believe the 3DS community will go?

With the Wii U version being out for a couple of months, along with the 3DS version, how do we view ourselves from a competitive standpoint?

I really don't want the 3DS scene to fumble into a casual mess (I should probably word this differently lmao), I really want this **** front and center like the Wii U version.

What do you guys think? Do we stand a chance as the 3DS community?
You need to add an option for in between. Yes the 3ds scene still can be competitive, but no it will not be as big as the Wii U scene. If you're able to find local players who prefer to play on the 3ds, great, but on the larger scale, the Wii U will be the platform to run tournaments on and you can still use your 3ds as a controller.

I'm perfectly fine using the 3ds to compete with, but for tournament/stream's sake, the Wii U is better for the audience to watch on. The 3ds is advantageous in that it can be the sole carrier for custom sets, its portability is priceless, and its exclusive stages are great to play on.

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
Smash 3ds in general is more alive than the Wii U version for sure. However, there is no point of having a huge competitive scene for the 3ds other than maybe some local tournaments. There is no point in it since everything is harder to set up. Even if you are used to the 3ds controls and possibly never even played the console version, thankfully the 3ds is an option to use as a controller for the Wii U version.

While they may be the same game, the competitive scene for Wii U will always be a lot bigger than the 3ds. That's not necessarily a bad thing though, like I said, they are pretty much the same and you can still use the 3ds on the Wii U so I don't really see a problem with it.

So yeah, that's my thoughts about the competitive scene for it. Like it or not, the Wii U will have more of the competitive scene. Also, like it or not, the 3ds in general will just have a better audience since after all, there are a lot more people that play the 3ds than the Wii U version.

Soul.

It's the same engine. Elitism is totally ridiculous. It's like hating on someone for using anything that isn't a GC controller.

I think the 3DS version is more accessible and I like the stages more as well.
The GameCube controller isn't the greatest. It has its flaws.
Not everything is going to be on Wii U except maybe tournaments and online matches given preference. Some people just like playing on their 3DS and again, handheld Smash was long overdue. I could bring up Pokémon as a competitively viable game and that's on a handheld (see VGC videos on YouTube) but that's not what I'm saying. Smash 3DS can be competitive. It is the same thing after all. What the Wii U does, the 3DS is the same.

The_World

Smash Cadet
Is there actually people who are elitist about Smash Wii U? Whenever I ask someone which game they prefer, it's usually all based off of preference, such as price, controller, and how much they care to play it on the go.

FGC-Oni

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FGC-Oni
3DS FC
0430-8323-9211
Is there actually people who are elitist about Smash Wii U? Whenever I ask someone which game they prefer, it's usually all based off of preference, such as price, controller, and how much they care to play it on the go.
You'd be surprised a few people on these boards actually. Saying Smash 3DS is an appetizer/lite version in comparison to Wii U and I just have to shake my head in disappointment.

The_World

Smash Cadet
@ FGC-Oni FGC-Oni Although Smash 3DS may not have as much content as Wii U, it's hardly an appetizer. If anything, the 3DS makes it more accessible to newcomers. Although I think that part of the problem is that people assume that newcomers who have 3DS have to "graduate" to the Wii U.

After months of watching me play Smash on the 3DS with other people at my school, my friend decided to pick up a XL and Smash 3DS. He plays PM and some Melee as well, but none of those other games have the advantage of portablility. Although the version may not have as much exposure in terms of streaming and videos (and other stuff I can't think off), there are more than enough people who are willing to play Smash on the go to keep it alive.

FGC-Oni

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FGC-Oni
3DS FC
0430-8323-9211
@ FGC-Oni FGC-Oni Although Smash 3DS may not have as much content as Wii U, it's hardly an appetizer. If anything, the 3DS makes it more accessible to newcomers. Although I think that part of the problem is that people assume that newcomers who have 3DS have to "graduate" to the Wii U.

After months of watching me play Smash on the 3DS with other people at my school, my friend decided to pick up a XL and Smash 3DS. He plays PM and some Melee as well, but none of those other games have the advantage of portablility. Although the version may not have as much exposure in terms of streaming and videos (and other stuff I can't think off), there are more than enough people who are willing to play Smash on the go to keep it alive.
I own both versions but play almost exclusively on 3DS. Reason being, I simply am on 3DS all the time and of course it's more convenient for cause it's portable. I can practice at home or at a friends house or something. The lag is not an issue for me. I realize streaming and stuff like that is harder on a handheld especially since communications between systems is wireless but people are sleeping on the 3DS since the Wii U version came out. I'd wager to say that 3DS tournaments can be just as big as the Wii U if someone is willing to put in the effort to organize and stream such an event.

The_World

Smash Cadet
It actually makes tournaments less expensive to run, since everyone who participates is bringing their own setup. I Hope TOs are using this to their advantage.

MapleWooD

Smash Journeyman
Looking back at this thread, I can say that things will only get worse if no one takes action. If you want the 3DS version to stay relevant, you gotta put the effort in to maintain, because it likely won't happen on its own.

The Big Wang Theory

Smash Cadet
NNID
TimeNook
3DS FC
4038-6179-1020
There's also the possibility of people just not having the money to invest in a Wii U to get Sm4sh on that console; I'm in that group. I don't really see any reason 3DS would ever fall behind because it doesn't try to fill the exact same niche as the Wii U, what with being portable. That alone is a massive boon.

Duplighost

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3239-5360-8490
Like @ ILOVESMASH ILOVESMASH stated above, I don't believe the 3DS will go anywhere but local tournaments and playing with friends (and as a portable alternative). The Wii U version clearly has a better connection via wifi compared to the 3DS, so the 3DS's huge drawback is that the connection during battle may not always be stable. Through local tournaments, we don't have to worry about this faulty connection, though. Another aspect is the controls and buttons. I am again restating what @ ILOVESMASH ILOVESMASH said, but since the older 3DS version does not have a C-Stick, so people without it are at a great disadvantage, because perfect pivots into tilts are not supported without it.

This doesn't nullify the opportunity for big 3DS tournaments. 3DS tournaments can be just as eventful as Wii U ones as long as everything is organized and there is no lag between devices. Besides, both versions are essentially the same game.

The_World

Smash Cadet
I agree with @ MapleWooD MapleWooD , we should be creating bigger Smash 3DS tournaments and events ourselves. After this, I'm considering maybe trying my hand at running a 3DS tournament. Of course, I've never been to a tournament, so after I go to a few and look into it more, perhaps I'll give it a shot.

lmntolp

Smash Apprentice
Another aspect is the controls and buttons. I am again restating what @ ILOVESMASH ILOVESMASH said, but since the older 3DS version does not have a C-Stick, so people without it are at a great disadvantage, because perfect pivots into tilts are not supported without it.
I thought you can't customize the new 3DS c-stick to work with tilts, only smashes, so I don't think it's a terrible disadvantage to use older 3DS's. I wouldn't trust using perfect pivots with lag anyways. The custom controls for 3DS version in general are more limited compared to WiiU, or even compared to using the 3DS as a controller for WiiU...

Johnny Heart Gold

Smash Journeyman

Seriously pisses me off.
DAMN STRAIGHT BRO!!!! I hate that people think that you need to buy the 2 versions or just use the wiiu, if we like the 3ds version is our deal

Ogono

Smash Rookie
I feel there's not a strong enough 3ds scene due to the fact a lot of top players like Mew2King, Zero and etc are on the Wii U Version, and a lot of people follow them because that's where the "hype" is, not to mention the 3ds controls are odd compared to the controller most smash players are comfortable with after growing up with it in their melee days, which is the Gamecube controller and I heard stories of people being able to control the game much better then they were playing on the 3ds;hence, they got better.

Soul.

Hype happens when it happens.
GCN controller isn't everything. The game has multiple controller options for a reason.

I've said this a lot: not everything will be on Wii U.

I don't know what's the problem with the 3DS version having their own community. Let them have one. They shouldn't fall behind Wii U just because everyone thinks the other version is bad. If someone said Wii U was trash, how would they react?

To me, if you say the 3DS version sucks then you're saying Wii U sucks too.

I just wonder why can't both 3DS and Wii U get together.

Ogono

Smash Rookie
When i say the hype is on the Wii U, there's more attention put towards because it is seen as a better version by the masses, more vids about the WiiU, popular players on the WiiU, most of it is shown on the WiiU. Unless, people here put the action fourth to show more attention to it . Also, I'm not trying to sound like a controller elitist but most of the people going to tournaments use them, I'm basing it off statistics. So, when most people are used to a certain controller(they first use to play) they gravitate towards it more. Plus this is what I've "heard" from people(I'm not including a entire world of people, just a few) that say they have more control with the gamecube controller. This can be different for everybody, some may play worst or not be affected at all. I'm in the smash scene on my 3DS, and I dont wish to fight over Wii U or 3DS in the end its the same game, Smash.

Top Bottom