• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official The 20XX Melee Training Hack Pack (v5.0.2 - 1/20/2023)

BirdmanJR

Smash Cadet
Yeah I think the random teching forces you to play on reaction, and that is better for training. I understand how your suggestion would allow for adapting vs a CPU, but I think since only one option is available, I prefer the way it is now.
Absolutely. Not sure if my suggestion is viable or not even. If its possible and could be turned on as an option I would love it. Of course if only one was possible the way it is now is 100 percent better.

SinsOfApathy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Psion312
I'm not even going to pretend like i know what he is explaining in this video, but could this potentially lead to being able to record your actions and have a cpu repeat them like in SF4???https://youtu.be/7CWMi5M5GFY
Don't quote me on this, but I think Achilles already implemented some form of inputs recording for the future build. If he hasn't, I'll write one soonish just for proof-of-concept if people actually want that.

That guy's implementation is using an external board to record the signals his controller sends, then make a replay file. It's basically console playback that TASers have been doing for ages. I built something similar with an RPi, but it's not something your average joe can just make.

marauders42

Smash Rookie
NNID
marauders42
Beta 04 won't go from the CSS to stage select when I press start on my wii using nintendont. It makes the ready to fight noise but the game does nothing. However, it isn't totally frozen as the menu music is still playing. The ISO form of this exact copy runs fine on dolphin though. Any thoughts?

SinsOfApathy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Psion312
Beta 04 won't go from the CSS to stage select when I press start on my wii using nintendont. It makes the ready to fight noise but the game does nothing. However, it isn't totally frozen as the menu music is still playing. The ISO form of this exact copy runs fine on dolphin though. Any thoughts?
Recreate the ISO and try it again. It may be your boot device is having issues, and that's a better way to diagnose it.

The sound still works because your game crashed after sending it over to the DSP, which is basically a separate chip that handles sound. So, odds are a stage image is corrupted or something, unless you've got codes enabled through Nintendont.

BirdmanJR

Smash Cadet
Is there ever gonna be a way to get the CPU to drop low enough to Practice Armada Shining a low up B after sending them off stage ?

Mingo

Smash Cadet
Don't quote me on this, but I think Achilles already implemented some form of inputs recording for the future build. If he hasn't, I'll write one soonish just for proof-of-concept if people actually want that.

That guy's implementation is using an external board to record the signals his controller sends, then make a replay file. It's basically console playback that TASers have been doing for ages. I built something similar with an RPi, but it's not something your average joe can just make.
Thanks for the reply! I don't know for sure either if he has already implemented this or something like it, but either way it would be so dope!!

SoapSuds

Smash Apprentice
Hey I found a bug in beta 4. If you have frame advance in master mode on, drop into develop, and the try to view the magus numbers they will not display.

Last edited:

xaerin

Smash Rookie
I downloaded the beta 4 and its working fine but cpu fox is not shining after teching... whats the deal?

Foxco

Smash Cadet
I downloaded the beta 4 and its working fine but cpu fox is not shining after teching... whats the deal?
If you bothered doing any research through this thread so far you would see the many many times questions like this have been answered. This is a beta. Things like frame perfect shine after teching and other cpu toggles have not been added yet. Please look before asking questions.

Rasko

Smash Apprentice
Achilles, I'd just like to thank you for this hack pack. It has helped me tremendously this past year of playing melee without a training partner. Keep up the amazing job your doing for this great community!

SoapSuds

Smash Apprentice
Is there a way to have a CPU hold shield and then freeze them so they don't move when hit? I think it's be cool to freeze CPUs on platforms to practice shffl timings when hitting enemies above you. Is there a way to do that in 3.0 or is it something that could be added to 4.0?

Stormghetti

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
STRM#798
NNID
Stormghetti
achilles should add skin previews for L and R shoulder buttons like they did in the Silly Melee mod.

oscat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
drlnklngmars
3DS FC
0318-9801-6641
I wanna hug you, totally worth the wait :)

dreamhouse

Smash Cadet
Is there a way to have a CPU hold shield and then freeze them so they don't move when hit? I think it's be cool to freeze CPUs on platforms to practice shffl timings when hitting enemies above you. Is there a way to do that in 3.0 or is it something that could be added to 4.0?
Set the cpu to spam action and then don't press anything to get them to stay in one place, then get the cpu where you want them and set them to invincible with dpad up and x and they won't go anywhere when you hit them, but you'll still get normal hitlag.

Should work in all versions, but I haven't downloaded 4.05 yet.

OtaK_

Smash Rookie
Achilles, man, from what I saw, you did an amazing job. Infinite props to you! <3

Anyone able to come out with a xdelta patch? I don't have the tools to do it right now

Smash Journeyman
holy crap how'd you manage to fit these big state machines into the iso?

ymtah

Smash Cadet
Returning to the CSS after playing a regular game vs a lv9 Sheik just hard froze (buzzing sound, had to power down) my Wii. 4.05.

If this is a pre-existing problem please respect that this is my first time visiting this thread and I don't want to sift through 139 pages of search results to check.

edit: you don't need me to tell you the AI is nuts kinds of crazy good but the AI is bananas

Last edited:

Sky

Smash Rookie
For the next patch, It would be nice to set the CPU AI for level 1 before it was modified with the new update so that we may be able to practice chaingrabs/tech chases much more easily. If there is a way to do this currently without them attacking me all the time, please let me know!

Finch

Smash Lord
Can you add the widescreen code "4:3 for Dolphin" back in and name it "4:3 for Monitor" or something? It is no longer needed for Dolphin but it is necessary for getting the correct proportions on most gaming monitors. Both the ASUS VH238H and the BenQ RL2455HM force the game to 4:3 and everything is slightly stretched. The "4:3 for Dolphin" code is the only way to get it to look correct.

Last edited:

A_Reverie

Smash Apprentice
Some notes on the new AI:

First of all, it's a lot of fun to play against. This opens up a lot of options when it comes to testing different approaches, learning to play safe neutral. Good work, Achilles1515 Achilles1515 . I look forward to another period of Melee growth thanks to your hard work. Onto some suggestions regarding AI, most of which you're probably already aware of:
  • I feel like the AI likes to run to the ledge and ledge stall too often. You can tell especially when you fight a Fox. They spam stalls, ledge dashes, and sometimes end up killing themselves.
  • The AI picks subpar options for ledge grabbing, like the Fox run off Side-B. Having them simply WD backwards and fast fall would be way faster.
  • I'm noticing AI Fox doesn't like to U-throw -> U-air. Is there any particular reason why?
  • I wouldn't mind the AI going for more guaranteed options. I think it'd be amazing to see AI Fox Waveshine -> Up Smash me, I can only ever seem to get him to Shine -> B-air/N-air which I assume is an issue regarding them not being coded to choose specific options against specific characters. Sheik used U-throw on me as Marth and at was very jarring xD
I love their movement. It's very fun to play around it and learn what each character can do out of their crazy 20XX frame perfect movement. I also enjoy the little things like how fast they mash out of grabs. This AI overhaul is going to do a lot for the community, I suggest we keep pushing it to its limits.

A_Reverie

Smash Apprentice
Another odd AI behavior I'm noticing is in when I'm on Battlefield's side platforms, and a CPU is underneath, they seem to want to hold shield instead of tech chasing or anything else.

Kadano

Magical Express
Thank you very much for the update. The new AI is challenging, and also really funny.
Here are a few simple suggestions that I think would be clear improvements:

1. Have metal textures and SDR alternates off by default. Oh, and rainbow FD off by default and bright transition disabled by default would be great too, but maybe that's just me.
2. Bring back a way to enter Melee with one player only. (Maybe hold start for 1 second?)
3. In Debug Menu > Extras > Live Analog Input Viewer, the right half of the screen is currently blank. Could you maybe include the feeds for controllers 3 and 4 there? That would be very neat.
4. Having the good old develop camera control back in some form, preferably with a toggle (menu would be better than in-game button combination, since there are so many of those already) or with using the currently unused develop modes (debug or debug-develop, which are currently labeled as "do not use" 2 and 3 if I am not mistaken), so that develop will function like it does currently, but debug-develop gives back develop camera control, for example.

Last edited:

Sky

Smash Rookie
Kadano Kadano You can enter Stage Select Screen with 1 player by holding Start for 2 seconds with Time instead of Stock . I have not tried other modes such as Bonus and etc.

Deklan

Smash Rookie
So, the 4.05 files are just replacements right? A little confused as to how to get them onto my SD card that I've been using for 20xx 3.02 on my wii. The instructions say to rebuild the 20xx iso but isn't the iso made from the actual melee vanilla iso? Or did he do that already and that's what we downloaded?

I rebuilt the iso anyway, but now what do I do with it? Do I put in into my 'games' folder on my SD card and copy the sys folder from my other game (GALE01) into the new 4.05 one?

Top Bottom