• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

That Silly C-Stick (Smash Version)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
Behavior:

Ground

forward/back/up/down: smash in that direction

while holding up c-up does a utilt
while holding down c-down does a dtilt
while holding forward c-forward does fsmash

Shield

Forward/back/ down: roll/ spot dodge
up: grab

Dash/run

up: usmash
down/forward/back: dash attack

Air

forward/back/up/down: that direction aerial

Edge

forward/back/down: edge attack
up: edge jump

Wakeup

forward/back/up/down: attack

Holding forward/back/up/down

if you hold starting on the ground you cannot use tap for jump. You can use button jump. You can still dash. All actions other than tap jumping perform normally.

Directional Input

The Cstick can overwrite the directional input of the control stick. If you press sideways on the cstick during jump startup from a tap jump, you'll get a short hop, even if you never let go of up. Moreover, you'll drift in the direction you pressed the cstick (w/o doing an aerial if you did it early enough to not buffer), clearly indicating that the cstick just overwrote the dirction "up" from the control stick and replaced it with "side"; another piece of evidence that the cstick is just a macro for direction + A

Analysis

It often appears that the cstick is a macro for a direction smash input and A on the same frame, however, several subtleties arise if you look at it like that. Like, what priority does the direction take with respect to the A button?

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Quoting myself in the C-Stick Compendium

If your C-stick is set to smash, and you're holding an attack button, while walking at full speed, pressing up or down will initiate a dash. Pressing C-stick down while holding an attack button while walking at any other speed will initiate a crouch, which will NOT be held (you won't remain crouching.) Pressing left or right will result in a CHARGED smash attack in that direction. Pressing C-stick UP while walking at any other speed and holding an attack button will RESET your walking animation. Pressing C-stick up and holding down on the directional stick (crouching) will cause you to stand, but then go back to crouching. There SEEM to be interruption frame on crouch rise. I can at least to a crouch rise canceled crouch, by holding an attack button while crouching, then pushing up on the Cstick to feint a rise, and then pressing a different attack button (or just flicking the Cstick twice really fast, since it counts as an attack trigger) in the very beginning of rise.. The easiest way I could do this was to set L to attack, and then Hold L while crouching, and hit Cstick up, and then immediately after press A.

ALSO, similarly how you can do directional specials with the smash stick by pressing the special attack button and a c-stick direction at the nearly the exact same time, you can do the same with jumps. Simply press the c-stick forwards or backwards at nearly the exact same time you perform a jump. I believe both of these have something to do with the SDI the Smash stick provides.

I discovered most of this while checking out Pivot Walking, which should also be included in The CSC. http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=207154

Is any of this useful? Eh, I dunno, but it should still be documented for the sake of future discoveries and potential. Also, by mastering every nook and cranny of the game, one might be able to slightly expand their ability to use mindgames.

MuBa

Smash Lord
I honestly hate the C-stick in Brawl. Especially when I try to do a SH Bair and instead I end up DIing back. Another inconvenient scenario that I do a fast falled Dair when falling downwards. That right there kills what little edgeguarding exists in the game. Obviously the mapping for the Dair is different than the other aerials or else we'd be looking at DI'd Fair, Bairs, and Uairs.

I mean is it mapped in such a way because of the Wii-Mote+Nunchuck?
I think a C-stick remapping should also be included in Brawl+

Kirk

Smash Champion
Inputting the c-stick downwards while descending will naturally cause you to fastfall along with performing a Dair because, like what was said already, the c-stick is macroing a direction and an attack.

If you are descending and smash down on the control stick, you will fastfall...that's basic knowledge. I point this out because that is exactly what the c-stick is doing when you push it downwards...smashing the control stick down + attacking.

I don't think it's mapped differently with Dair over any other aerial. It's just working the way it's supposed to. If your c-stick was set to tilts, you wouldn't fastfall because the 'macro' would be tilting the control stick down instead of smashing it down. Again, basic knowledge I suppose...but my point is it's just doing exactly what it is supposed to be doing.

Levitas

the moon
While this is true, a ledgedropped dair would be useful from the edge from many characters if it didn't cause them to die due to an unwanted fastfall.

if only...

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Wow, didn't you guys know that simply holding down will omit the fast fall, because if you're joystick is already down, then it won't be considered a smash down + a input.

In short, just hold down, then hit C-Stick down. Similarly to the way you would perform a utilt on the ground without tap jumping, you perform a Dair in the air without fast falling.

Interestingly, even if you're already holding down, if you use A, or any other attack button to Dair, you'll start fast falling automatically. I don't know why this is put in. (I could be wrong about this part btw. I don't usually do falling Dairs as Marth.)

SCOTU

Smash Hero
... so no one has any theories on how the cstick is universally mapped? or are we just going with the "different mapping for each character state" BS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom