• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS Tharja's trophy is M.I.A., was she removed to avoid a T rating?

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
Welp Im mad now, Its sad to see a well worked model removed, also I wanted her as a playable and having a trophy was a compensation (along with the Lucina alt.), if the rating was really an issue they should censored it instead.... with....uh...with a random curtain like in the Summer Scramble DLC.

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy
I don't think her trophy alone would have caused the rating to go up a level, considering other risque things remaining in tact with the game (ie Palutena upskirt).

I'm not fan of Tharja but it's kind of sad to have content cut, even if it's of a smaller margin. Oh well.

SoraYoshi

Smash Cadet
NNID
xNinjaYoshix
3DS FC
0130-1855-1624
I don't really see the point of reaching a E10+ rating when your 2 other installments sold well with a Teen rating on the box.

Senario

Smash Ace
Soo...is there any reason her clothes are that revealing? I mean I only played FE once, and it was the GBA Amb. one for the 3DS...
Or is this gurl some kind of fanservice in the game, you know eye candy. Finally, that kind of nudity is absurd.
(:4shulk:can really feel it btw)
Her home is the desert so light clothes kinda make sense in a way. In a, not based on the real world sort of way. But her light clothing makes sense due to where she is from and her class.

Dark mages in the game have similar designs except for one. Henry is different.

Also, she often holds a big book in front of her so she is a lot more classy feeling in conversations. And she is wearing more clothes than if she was wearing a bikini lol.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Soo...is there any reason her clothes are that revealing? I mean I only played FE once, and it was the GBA Amb. one for the 3DS...
Or is this gurl some kind of fanservice in the game, you know eye candy. Finally, that kind of nudity is absurd.
(:4shulk:can really feel it btw)
Yes, she is the fanservice character.
Although her attire is somewhat practical given she resides in a desert, and she is also...well, somewhat evil, so that helps too. After all, clothing is for conformists.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
Has there been any hacked files of her? I don't think anyone's found her trophy through hacking yet.

Last edited:

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I'd be a damn shame if they did remove Tharja from the game as she was one of my top favorite female characters from Awakening (next to Cordelia, Panne and Sumia) and, out of all my playthroughs, she was one of the two characters I ever bothered marrying ( the other was Cordelia). I wouldn't make sense to me if the only reason they removed her was to maintain that E10+ rating.

Shog

Smash Ace
Just want you to know that you wear a lot of clothes in deserts actually, because of the created air pockets cooling your body and protecting you from the harsh sunlight.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I should probably point out that some Kirby titles have had a history of having visible blood (most notably from Dark Matter, O2, and Dark Meta Knight), and yet the games themselves never went higher than E10+.

Blood is typically something that you'd see from a T or M rated game.

Anyway, it's not like Tharja was going to be any more than a trophy, so the E10+ rating could've remained in tact if she was still present.

8MangaMan

Smash Rookie
There are actually 685 trophies in the 3DS version, one less then the ESRB leak, so Tharja is indeed the only Trophy cut. A bit strange since a few others like Phosphora are pretty revealing too.

espio87

Smash Ace
What I consider strange is that Tharja's trophy was removed from the Japanese version. They don't have the ESRB there, so it shouldn't be a problem. Remember that in Melee, the Japanese version had the Tamagon trophy and it was cut only from the US version.

Last edited:

DougX

Smash Champion
My Super Secret Underwater Volcano Lair in Space
NNID
Luigirasendori
3DS FC
0877-2652-6033

That ain't green.
That ain't Falco either.

For the Topic at hand... I don't see the big deal about the trophy. It's nice looking and a lot of people like that character. Seems kind of weird to just remove it like that. Even if it would theoretically make it a T Rating, Brawl and Melee were T Rated so it's nothing new or anything for the series.

Dougee Sez.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Does anybody think it would be a good idea if I send Nintendo an e-mail about why Tharja had to be removed from ALL versions of the game? If not, more speculation time necessary. But it's so weird for them to go to all the hard work for making a model of a character that is extremely unlikely (more likely than the boy Roy at this stage. Sorry, my Melee main. :(:roymelee:) just to take it out of the game.

Pegasus Knight

Smash Ace
As far as a T versus E10 rating goes... it's true that previous versions sold just fine, but Nintendo is probably (this is speculation on my part) looking at Smash for Wii U as a system-saver. They need it to move as many units as absolutely possible. That means wanting the widest audience possible. If the ESRB told them "Tharja goes, or you get a T rating," then the smart business move is to drop the trophy of a non-playable girl in a metal bikini. I don't like it either, but I fully understand why this might have happened. Smash 4 has been in development for years, is going to be a major profit source on the 3DS, and is their best chance to really push the Wii U to be a successful system. Ensuring this is seen as a E10 title rather than a T one goes a long way.

When it comes to emailing Nintendo about this... that depends on when you do it and what you hope to accomplish. They're probably not going to reinstate the trophy. If you email them about it before October 3rd (US release date), Nintendo's western branches are going to be required to just be all "We have no idea what you're talking about" in response. Also, your email will go to a general customer service rep. They won't be able to directly change the situation. If Nintendo gets enough emails about it, they may have food for thought on later games. Still, all you'll directly get for emailing them is a quick and generalized reply from someone far removed from Smash development. If you're okay with just creating a very tiny blip on Nintendo's radar (a lot of tiny blips eventually become a big one, after all)... then go for it.

It also depends on what your 'demands' as a customer are. If you're threatening a boycott over the Tharja trophy (and I'm not saying you are, but you didn't explain your exact motives so I have to explore the idea)... that may be going a bit far; there are reasonable explanations for what they did, ones probably brought on by the ESRB, business circumstances, and society today. If you're just hoping they'll be more bold about this sort of thing in the future, that's cool. Let Nintendo know you have their back even if a game gets a T rating, that you'll still support it with your money.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

smartguyc1089

Smash Cadet
New Zealand.

somebody actually knows my home exists!

but I will consider using swimsuit shulk, so thank god he wasnt censored.
now I just need to find the coldest stage and play shulk on it all day erry day

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
As far as a T versus E10 rating goes... it's true that previous versions sold just fine, but Nintendo is probably (this is speculation on my part) looking at Smash for Wii U as a system-saver. They need it to move as many units as absolutely possible. That means wanting the widest audience possible. If the ESRB told them "Tharja goes, or you get a T rating," then the smart business move is to drop the trophy of a non-playable girl in a metal bikini. I don't like it either, but I fully understand why this might have happened. Smash 4 has been in development for years, is going to be a major profit source on the 3DS, and is their best chance to really push the Wii U to be a successful system. Ensuring this is seen as a E10 title rather than a T one goes a long way.

When it comes to emailing Nintendo about this... that depends on when you do it and what you hope to accomplish. They're probably not going to reinstate the trophy. If you email them about it before October 3rd (US release date), Nintendo's western branches are going to be required to just be all "We have no idea what you're talking about" in response. Also, your email will go to a general customer service rep. They won't be able to directly change the situation. If Nintendo gets enough emails about it, they may have food for thought on later games. Still, all you'll directly get for emailing them is a quick and generalized reply from someone far removed from Smash development. If you're okay with just creating a very tiny blip on Nintendo's radar (a lot of tiny blips eventually become a big one, after all)... then go for it.

It also depends on what your 'demands' as a customer are. If you're threatening a boycott over the Tharja trophy (and I'm not saying you are, but you didn't explain your exact motives so I have to explore the idea)... that may be going a bit far; there are reasonable explanations for what they did, ones probably brought on by the ESRB, business circumstances, and society today. If you're just hoping they'll be more bold about this sort of thing in the future, that's cool. Let Nintendo know you have their back even if a game gets a T rating, that you'll still support it with your money.
I see. I never did explain my intentions, but my intention was to simply ask why the trophy had to be removed from all versions. But I think the response you gave would have been the better response in comparison to customer service. :) I'll hold that thought of an e-mail in the end after all.

Storm Eagle

Smash Lord
NNID
Storm88
I don't want to live in a world where Tharja is more offensive to the ESRB than gross ass Nicki Minaj Candy Kong. *shudder*

3DSplayer

Smash Cadet
NNID
ArcanineTrainer
I do find it kind of strange that Nintendo removed the Tharja trophy, even in the Japanese version. She is a very popular character in FE13, and even though there might be "problems" with her outfit or whatever, I don't get why they would remove the trophy. Was she the only trophy from the leaks to be removed, or are there more?

D

Deleted member

I do find it kind of strange that Nintendo removed the Tharja trophy, even in the Japanese version. She is a very popular character in FE13, and even though there might be "problems" with her outfit or whatever, I don't get why they would remove the trophy. Was she the only trophy from the leaks to be removed, or are there more?
There were 686 trophies total according to the leak.
The final game has 685 trophies.
Tharja's trophy was the only one that was removed from the final game.

SamMalik

Smash Rookie
NNID
Thedarkhero16
Nintendo wouldn't remove the trophy from every copy of the game in the world for Australia, a country with less people than Canada even when combined with New Zealand. No way.

For Germany's USK, maybe.

Sorry for double post.

Really, the DLC pack causing controversy in NA and the possibility of the ESRB saying T for this trophy is my only guess. Rather than remove it for one territory and face (justified) accusations of censorship, remove it from all copies :(

Australia is too small of a market to cause that kind of a reaction though.

It's just a theory.

USK also gave the game a 12+ just like FireEmblem Awakening. Sounds like Tharja will be a EU exclusive trophy. At least she wasn't COMPLETELY cut.

Giga Wario

Smash Journeyman
FOR EVERYBODY ASKING WHY THE JAPANESE VERSION HAS IT DUMMIED OUT BECAUSE OF WESTERN CENSORS: People have already hacked the Japanese ROM and found that it's pretty much already 100% translated and localized, character name changes, trophy descriptions, flavour text, et all. Essentially what I'm trying to say is that both the Japanese and International releases are coordinated to have exactly the same content, so anything which needed to be removed overseas for whatever reason would pre-emptively be cut by the Japanese development team.

That being said I'm definitely not going to miss this trophy since quite frankly Intelligent Systems weren't very intelligent if they actually let a design like that go by with a pass. I'm honestly a bit more miffed that it was completely erased from existence, like they didn't even keep the model or the preview image or the text or ANYTHING. Even Melee & Brawl kept unused trophy models in the game!

SamMalik

Smash Rookie
NNID
Thedarkhero16
FOR EVERYBODY ASKING WHY THE JAPANESE VERSION HAS IT DUMMIED OUT BECAUSE OF WESTERN CENSORS: People have already hacked the Japanese ROM and found that it's pretty much already 100% translated and localized, character name changes, trophy descriptions, flavour text, et all. Essentially what I'm trying to say is that both the Japanese and International releases are coordinated to have exactly the same content, so anything which needed to be removed overseas for whatever reason would pre-emptively be cut by the Japanese development team.

That being said I'm definitely not going to miss this trophy since quite frankly Intelligent Systems weren't very intelligent if they actually let a design like that go by with a pass. I'm honestly a bit more miffed that it was completely erased from existence, like they didn't even keep the model or the preview image or the text or ANYTHING. Even Melee & Brawl kept unused trophy models in the game!
But wasn't the game toned down to get a CERO A rating in Japan rather than the CERO B that FireEmblem Kakusei got?

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
Removing this trophy while having Samus and Shulk on underwear is bull****. Not to mention that Candy Kong is still a trophy and it is f****** gross. I seriously don't know why Tharja receives so much hate. Sure her outfit is revealing, but so does Samus's underwear. In fact, Tharja has more clothing than Samus. And it makes sense for her because she lives in a desert full of creeps and she is a dark mage. Also, she is a trophy, is not like I'm going to drool over her trophy all day instead of, I don't know, playing the friggin game?! This cut and the censors of dressed women panties is bull****.

Last edited:

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
Look at Captain Falcon and ZSS and tell me how this game is rated E10

I find this reason very stupid to remove a TROPHY, especially when the previous two titles were rated T.

Last edited:

R0Y

Smash Master
I doubt that the ESRB would have caused her trophy to get removed. If it was, I find it a bit strange this would set off the T rating and not something like Shulk's swimsuit alt costume.

It seems as though Tharja was meant to get a trophy at one point, but it was cut late in development. If anyone decided to remove her trophy completely from the game, it was probably Nintendo of America. I guess they wanted to cut her from the American version, but they had no choice to but to remove it completely worldwide? (I would be pretty damn surprised if we saw her trophy in the US version) I mean, this wasn't the first time they had to censor her.

Still, it's kind of a shame her trophy got removed. She's admittedly one of my favorite characters in Awakening.
Female > Male.

MPAA takes this into account in the US when rating movies. Going to the extreme of wearing revealing clothing, male full-frontal nudity is boring (my bias) and more readily accepted. There's apparently a great (but very "adult" documentary) about the MPAA called "This Movie Is Not Yet Rated" and remember, the ESRB is modelled after that group's ratings board. Movie's poster is NSFW and uh....yeah I dunno, it contains "footage" so, I wouldn't really watch it personally.

Yes, she is the fanservice character.
Although her attire is somewhat practical given she resides in a desert, and she is also...well, somewhat evil, so that helps too. After all, clothing is for conformists.
I dunno about practical, she has very pale skin in a desert, I'd be wearing loose-fitting robes myself, also it gets very cold at night. I don't have a problem with her nice outfit, but yeah, that's Tharja, lol.

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I might think it may not be a matter of her clothing, but her characterization itself.

I mean, her major trait is being obsessed with Robin (AKA the Avatar/My Unit/player character) to the point of stalking. Basically, she fits the Yandere character archetype.

Yandere characters are not uncommon in Japanese media and are depicted as being romantically obsessed with one, and only one, other character and will do anything to achieve that love, including stalking, being violent to anyone they see as threatening to the possible relationship and so on. It's often a very creepy and disturbing character.

All this said, and no offense to her fans, I say good riddance on the trophy. I dislike Yandere characters and Tharja is a really disturbing character. My least favorite Fire Emblem character.

Last edited:

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
I am slightly disappointed that she got her trophy removed. At least my top waifu got two.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Just want you to know that you wear a lot of clothes in deserts actually, because of the created air pockets cooling your body and protecting you from the harsh sunlight.
Quoting for emphasis. Those of you who keep saying that wearing next to no clothing is appropriate for living in the desert have apparently forgotten every picture you may have ever seen of someone who lives in the desert. Hint: in the desert, you wear a lot of clothing.

Aside from anything else I dislike about Tharja, her choice of attire is purely to titillate male players. It is not practical by any stretch of the imagination. And I fail to see why her being an "evil" character somehow justifies her skimpy clothing as well, as if being a bad guy ever made anything ok to begin with.

Anyway, this is hardly worth a reply. One less trophy is not a big deal.

Top Bottom