• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Thanks To Smashdown, We Can Determine How Many Fighters There Will Be In The Final Build

D

Deleted member

All this confirms is that there will be 1 more character which is cool I guess

Mastermiine

Smash Journeyman
84 also works out perfectly.
We are at 73 fighters including 3 separate mii fighters and 70 if not including any and 71 with it being once.

So we have about 11 new potential fighters.

I could see 4 new fighters and 7 echos.

Slyke The Hedgehog

Smash Rookie
NNID
Slyke
3DS FC
3866-8227-4741
Well honestly i find it really out of place to have a mode where the goal is to play as the whole roster and not be able to do so in the end

Well, according to this theory, 1 seems the most fitting number: 72 can accomodate Smashdown for 2, 3 or 4 players. However, I don’t think this is the case
as i mention in the video, do not make the mistake by taking the numbers in the website since they seperate the pokemon trainer and miis into 3 and not by their character select screen slot

LoZ00

Smash Journeyman
as i mention in the video, do not make the mistake by taking the numbers in the website since they seperate the pokemon trainer and miis into 3 and not by their character select screen slot
Actually, if you take in account the Echoes, you end up having 71 without counting Ivysaur, Charizard, and Squirtle as separate fighters. Also, I could see them allowing you to choose the Brawler, the Gunner, and the Swordfighter as separate fighters (let’s say I choose the Swordfighter, then next turn I can pick either the Brawler or the Gunner).

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
The possibility of DLC should be enough to debunk this argument.
That's what I was thinking. If we get DLC, which it would make sense to do given the massive success that the previous games had with DLC, then the they would have to release characters in sets of 12 at the same time to keep everything divisible by both 3 and 4, and if this mode is available in 8-player smash, you have to factor in groups of 5-8 which really messes with the numbers, or else everything will get thrown off. That doesn't seem very realistic to me.

My guess is that Smashdown will probably make some characters (the first selected probably) available again once the number of available characters gets lower than that of players participating.

Mastermiine

Smash Journeyman
That's what I was thinking. If we get DLC, which it would make sense to do given the massive success that the previous games had with DLC, then the they would have to release characters in sets of 12 at the same time to keep everything divisible by both 3 and 4, and if this mode is available in 8-player smash, you have to factor in groups of 5-8 which really messes with the numbers, or else everything will get thrown off. That doesn't seem very realistic to me.

My guess is that Smashdown will probably make some characters (the first selected probably) available again once the number of available characters gets lower than that of players participating.
Or the game mode just ends with what ever # characters are left. That could work.

D

Deleted member

The current character slot count is 72 (even the Miis yes), so if we have 8 player Smash, there would be enough for 9 rounds total.
We can expect more, so if the initial build of the game is upheld with the same argument that this thread provides, we will see 8 more entrants, including the echos.

That said, I personally think that it's unfounded, and that the mode will enforce stragglers because, yeah, DLC is a thing. And even then, perhaps you can only have 5 rounds total, so 40 characters in an 8 player Smashdown would be the total possible under those circumstances.

So well, dunno. It might just be a wishful thinking argument in the long run. I'd welcome 8 more, and after seeing my expectations blown out of proportion (I mean seriously, I thought we'd get another pokemon rep and nothing else lmao), I can see it being at least realistic.

Dixie Kong

Smash Ace
84 also works out perfectly.
We are at 73 fighters including 3 separate mii fighters and 70 if not including any and 71 with it being once.

So we have about 11 new potential fighters.

I could see 4 new fighters and 7 echos.
Hopefully (for me) (choosing five newcomers)

New:
Dixie
Banjo
Elma
Skull Kid
Geno

Echoes:
Isabelle
Shadow
Chunky Kong (I know won't happen)

I'm not sure who the other two echos would be.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
Or the game mode just ends with what ever # characters are left. That could work.
That's a possibility too. I just pictures it being like normal Smash where the battles keep going until the players are done. A finite end to the mode, or even a reset to having everyone available again would be reasonable options.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
It's a great theory's no question about that but there's one flaw though

Sakurai said few more right?

Well if include the echos, the miis and separating squirtle ivysaur and charizard

Your at 0 characters left (exactly 73 playable)
https://www.ssbwiki.com/Super_Smash_Bros._Ultimate

So we know more is coming

84 Is another one that can be divided/multiplied by 2, 3, and 4

So that's probably are real number 11 newcomers with echos included in this

Last edited:

DeadlyLampshade

Smash Apprentice
It's a great theory's no question about that but there's one flaw though

Sakurai said few more right?

Well if include the echos, the miis and separating squirtle ivysaur and charizard

Your at 0 characters left (exactly 73 playable)
https://www.ssbwiki.com/Super_Smash_Bros._Ultimate

So we know more is coming

84 Is another one that can be divided/multiplied by 2, 3, and 4

So that's probably are real number 11 newcomers with echos included in this
Well there are a few things.
1: Echos apparently count as playing the base character.
2: Pokemon Trainer is one character despite being able to switch between 3.

Assuming one is true, you have 65 characters, which means you can squeeze in about 7 more non-echo characters.

Truthfully I'd rather believe this whole theory is bull**** then that we got 7 more original characters still coming.

They have to plan for the case when you don't even have all the characters unlocked too.

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Well there are a few things.
1: Echos apparently count as playing the base character.
2: Pokemon Trainer is one character despite being able to switch between 3.

Assuming one is true, you have 67 characters, which means you can squeeze in about 5 more non-echo characters.

Truthfully I'd rather believe this whole theory is bull**** than that we got 5 more original characters still coming.

They have to plan for the case when you don't even have all the characters unlocked too.
Actually 3 or 2 characters dont forget Isabelle and shadow are praticually locked at this point and skull kid is very very likely got a slot (the moon as a assist and not a final smash doesn't deconfirm him easily there are lots of options)

Last edited:

DeadlyLampshade

Smash Apprentice
Actually 3 or 2 characters dont forget Isabelle and shadow are praticually locked at this point and skull kid is very very likely got a slot (the moon as a assist and not a final smash doesn't deconfirm him easily there are lots of options)
I edited my whole post a bunch, its about 7 non-echo characters.

Isabelle and Shadow would be echoes. so they don't count.

Honest Slug

Smash Journeyman
99% this theory means nothing due to DLC and other reasons... but 84 characters would be sick.

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
you can never use the css as proof of anything. Otherwise melee still has two character to be unlocked and Smash 4 has 3-8. The same could be said about stages. That and we don't even know if that is even derivative of the css. It wasn't taken directly from the game, so who's to say that it is indicative of the final layout of the css.

Last edited:

DeadlyLampshade

Smash Apprentice
you can never use the css as proof of anything. Otherwise melee still has two character to be unlocked and Smash 4 has 3-8. The same could be said about stages. That and we don't even know if that is even derivative of the css. It wasn't taken directly from the game, so who's to say that it is indicative of the final layout of the css.
This is true, but this is about the number of available characters and not the CSS.

The theory of this thread is that the final number of characters in the game must be divisible by 2, 3 and 4, otherwise there will be not enough characters for everyone on the final round.

Yuya-Noboru

Smash Journeyman
Didn't see that you already created a thread, I'll copy/paste my answer to your video below. Also, while reading the comments of this thread, talking about DLCs at this point is irrelevant since the development team specified that they didn't even thought about DLCs yet and that they might be no DLCs in this Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (source). That's why during this logical analysis, we shouldn't think about DLCs.

Part.1 : The theory

I just see this interesting video made by "Slyke The Hedgehog" and it gives me theories about the newcomers. First, look at the video below for more understanding.

To begin, I want to correct something said in the video about the Mii: They are obviously not present in this mode. During the showcase of the Showdown Battle, why would they put every announced characters yet but not the Mii? This is because they aren't playable in this mode. It's not like there isn't a space between Greninja & Palutena. The reason could be that they might be too random/game changer or just because you need to create them first (or maybe that's because they want to promote the classic characters rather than Mii, I don't know).

There are two numbers that fit the description : 72 & 84. We have actually 68 characters (excluding the Mii), so we will have either 04 or 16 newcomers but having 16 newcomers sounds delusional. So the total number of newcomers has to be 04 (echo fighters included).

Part.2 : The Predictions

Now that we can guess the number of newcomers, the new "problem" is : who? There are no correct answer at this point so please keep in mind this is just a theory, a game theory! Feel free to tell me what you think about all of this and add elements.

1) Shadow (Sonic)
I personally hate Sonic (in Smash) and I don't want to see "two Sonics" in the game, but there are hints that he might be in the game. Indeed, while he has been an Assist Trophy throughout Super Smash Bros. Brawl up to Super Smash Bros. 4, he hasn't been shown during the Nintendo Direct 08.08.18 but Knuckles did though he isn't as popular as him. He will be an Echo fighter of Sonic, of course.

2) The Legend of Zelda's newcomer
Something interesting about the Zelda's character in Ultimate is their design being taken from various era of the franchise (see below). We can notice that one Era of the franchise is missing : (2006-2011) "The Next Generation". I don't know that series that much so I don't know who could complete the list.
  • Link - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Era: 2013-Present).
  • Sheik - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Era: 2013-Present).
  • Toon Link - The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (Era: 2002-2005, Four Swords)
  • Young Link - The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (Era: 1998-2002, The 3D Era).
  • Ganondorf - The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (Era: 1998-2002, The 3D Era).
  • Zelda - The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (Era: 1986-1993, The Beginning).
Though there is another possibility that Hilda (from The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds) could be added as an Echo fighter of Zelda. Both shares similar designs and could be animated the same way.

Other new characters :

I have no ideas about the next two characters... But with no new girls (/waifu) announced during the previous Nintendo Direct, I guess that this time we will have more female characters announced. What are your though about this?

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
99% this theory means nothing due to DLC and other reasons... but 84 characters would be sick.
I can't buy 84 characters at all, and I think I tend to be pretty optimistic when it comes to the amount of characters we'll get.

We have 68 characters right now, you're telling me we're getting another 16 characters? Maybe if it's backed up by a number of echo fighters, but even then I find it hard to imagine getting that many more characters unless some of them are dlc characters.

I tried figuring out the Smashdown thing earlier, but I think it starts falling apart when you consider unlockable characters and dlc characters. The former could be explained away by saying that Smashdown may not get unlocked until every character has been unlocked....but you can't say the same for dlc since they'll hardly be releasing four dlc characters in one day....and even if they did it's not a guarantee people would buy/download all of them. Unless they just make it so dlc characters are blocked from appearing in Smashdown altogether. (or you know, they don't have dlc characters at all....)

Is it confirmed how many people can play in Smashdown? Is it exclusive to 2-4 players or can 8 players participate?

That's an interesting possibility. Didn't the Smashdown shown in the direct end with something similar? At the very end there were three fighters left despite there being four players. This sounds plausible.

It would be a far more sensible solution than basing the amount of characters you're adding on a game mode. It would also mean people would be able to play the mode regardless of how many characters they've unlocked. (or dlc they've downloaded)

Last edited:
Top Bottom